Photo

Views on free roam griefing?

59 replies to this topic
Inzane-empire321
  • Inzane-empire321

Rat

• Members

Posted 21 August 2013 - 04:44 PM

I have noticed on this forum that people have been completely hating the idea of a griefer for example I had read somewhere that I cannot recall that they would fly a jet over somebodies game of golf and they bombard it with missile attacks (assuming you can be attacked in these activites) and then people respond with "you are the worse kind of person, f*ck off". But at least 70% of players have griefed on GTA games or on RDR. It's like it is a criminal offense to attack players but when you do it, it is totally acceptable.

I myself have griefed people by attacking, but then again its not that often. I myself get griefed constantly. On RDR I only had to ride on down by armadillo and an entire gang shoots at me and then harasses me until ive done 20 laps around the map. But my point is don't moan about getting shot up, if you don't want to get gunned down go on a different mode like friendly mode or hardcore, if you don't want to be hassled too often. And then they moan that it's boring because you can't kill any players. It just really annoys me how much people are contradicting themselves. Claiming to be innocent and giving us the assumption that "its bad to grief and I never do" but will now and again go off in a helicopter armed to the teeth shooting at one player with his friends throwing grenades. At least acknowlege that you grief too.

I mean surely as well it may be worse on here since you have militarised vehicles and automatic weapons making it much easier to kill and get killed.

Anyways enough of me ranting, what are your thoughts on this?

DaPieGuy
  • DaPieGuy

You Got Twoglopped!

• Members

Posted 21 August 2013 - 04:53 PM

Yeah I have killed people on GTA but that aint griefing. Killing them again and again as soon as they spawn or blowing up their car repeatedly when they clearly dont want to attack you is griefing and I don't do that. Some people do and it can get annoying. The passive mode will help that but I hope it is a game mode not an option.

Inzane-empire321
  • Inzane-empire321

Rat

• Members

Posted 21 August 2013 - 06:03 PM

See that is the right attitude. I myself am happy to go in a 'normal' mode and risk getting attacked it is just those who grief and expect not to be griefed back and inot acknowledge that they have done it in the past even if it is on the extremely rare occasion. And it annoys me how they attack you and your friends, you push them back and counter grief and then they're all shouting "stop attacking us!" Down the mic as if we attacked them

Hazaman_Returns
  • Hazaman_Returns

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 21 August 2013 - 06:41 PM

I get what you're saying, and in GTA V, no doubt I will probably attack people. Though I just hate it when you make it blindingly obvious that you're friendly (ie you land a heli next to them and indicate that they can have a lift) and they shoot you. Just makes you want to slap them in the face.

I like to play the free roam like DayZ, you know, shoot if you have to. But like in DayZ, people are ridiculous sometimes: the other day I offered this guy my Infernus for his wrecked up SuperGT, then he goes and shoots RPGs at me. I mean, WTAF? But hey, with GTA V's stock market I think I'll be on the money scene a lot more.

Inzane-empire321
  • Inzane-empire321

Rat

• Members

Posted 21 August 2013 - 06:59 PM

Its expected in a game like DayZ. I personally have never played it but watch frankieonpc and jackfrags play. GTA 5 you can kill but its not neccessary for your survival. If your careful on a normal lobby where you get attacked you could get away with no fuss. DayZ you have to kill or mame to survive. It would be very difficult to survive in that game without killing from what I have seen. It's funny I was griefed on RDR with me and my friend and i went to the post where there is a crap load of mountain lions and the lions killed all the griefers, I loled

gpcguy1
  • gpcguy1

Soldier

• Members

Posted 21 August 2013 - 07:11 PM

QUOTE (DaPieGuy @ Wednesday, Aug 21 2013, 16:53)
Yeah I have killed people on GTA but that aint griefing. Killing them again and again as soon as they spawn or blowing up their car repeatedly when they clearly dont want to attack you is griefing and I don't do that. Some people do and it can get annoying. The passive mode will help that but I hope it is a game mode not an option.

I kill people repeatedly until they leave if they attack me once, I even get my gang in to help when the guy likes to run.
Would that count as griefing?

Gigabomber
  • Gigabomber

Infinite Ammo Amorous

• Members

Posted 21 August 2013 - 07:34 PM

I think griefing will be a lot more fun now that we can melee and aim with more freedom. Was horrible in GTA 4 because of the clunkiness of the melee, for example.

SwitchBladeJones
  • SwitchBladeJones

Playa

• Members

Posted 21 August 2013 - 08:05 PM

It seemed like in GTAIV's multiplayer, players is Free Roam only caused trouble if you went out your way to find them. If i was cruising the streets, players weren't out to get me, but if I was on foot near other players, I would probably get taken out. For some reason RDR did seem to have more people out to get you, like that's all there was for them to do for some reason. Maybe because the speed everyone goes was so much closer. I know those players will be out there in GTAO. Just have to do your thing and not let it bother you. If you want to show off custom cars without ever being bothered, go get a private map.

I think the worst online players are the ones that follow you around and jump in your face everywhere you go. I never understood it. This player is only following me, then they start sending harrassing messages over chat. I wonder what's wrong with those people, I just assume they must be mentally unstable. Even this doesn't happen all that often though.

The Dark Passenger
  • The Dark Passenger

Bay Harbor Butcher

• Members

Posted 21 August 2013 - 10:19 PM

I think there's a passive mode where you can't be killed but you also can't injure others. As for following people around and verbally abusing them...there's planes, choppers, fast cars and a huge map. It should be easy to escape such nutcases.

Dexter-Morgan
  • Dexter-Morgan

I kill bad people... SHHHHH!

• Members

Posted 21 August 2013 - 11:12 PM

QUOTE (The Dark Passenger @ Wednesday, Aug 21 2013, 22:19)
I think there's a passive mode where you can't be killed but you also can't injure others. As for following people around and verbally abusing them...there's planes, choppers, fast cars and a huge map. It should be easy to escape such nutcases.

Or you can kill them....dump their body in the gulf stream never to be seen again.

ocsd4085
  • ocsd4085

"Your front sight is your salvation"

• Members

Posted 21 August 2013 - 11:30 PM

You will not be able to do this while other's are playing the mini games (tennis, golf, ect.) I believe it was confirmed in the Benzies interview.

DrDucky
  • DrDucky

3 days left!

• BUSTED!

Posted 22 August 2013 - 02:44 AM

ive actually never griefed. i do spawn kill u if u ever try killing me, i f*cking hate idiots that think its dm or something. all i want is to play with other people suicidal.gif . im thinking about just killing anybody that gets near me in GTAO, im tired of dying.

Mikhail Borovsky
  • Mikhail Borovsky

Don of the Mangano Crime Family.

• Members

Posted 22 August 2013 - 03:22 AM

My views on griefing are as such: I don't care if you kill me. That obviously means I was in your area/territory and probably got shot on territorial terms. It's Grand Theft Auto - murder happens, man. However, if you come after me repeatedly because of no reason and hunt me down to the point where I cannot enjoy the game, then piss on you. That is why I am glad of the "Bad Points" system that Rockstar has set up to prevent players such as these from interrupting free-roam fun.

DeadZombie
  • DeadZombie

Sons Of Ditka - Leader

• Members

Posted 22 August 2013 - 03:49 AM

QUOTE (Mikhail Borovsky @ Thursday, Aug 22 2013, 03:22)
My views on griefing are as such: I don't care if you kill me. That obviously means I was in your area/territory and probably got shot on territorial terms. It's Grand Theft Auto - murder happens, man. However, if you come after me repeatedly because of no reason and hunt me down to the point where I cannot enjoy the game, then piss on you. That is why I am glad of the "Bad Points" system that Rockstar has set up to prevent players such as these from interrupting free-roam fun.

This bad points system doesent sound as bad as leslie benizes put it out.

It dont think it will be as extreme as he explained. Then again he dient exactly explain it.

I wish they put out more on the Bad Rep system. I emailed rockstar about it but have yet to get anything. It kinda of ruins the whole point of FREE roam. turns it into more of a contradicting PVP free roam confused.gif

RedDagger
  • RedDagger

Crash test dummy

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 22 August 2013 - 07:38 AM

QUOTE (Inzane-empire321 @ Wednesday, Aug 21 2013, 16:44)
But at least 70% of players have griefed on GTA games or on RDR.

The only credible thing your post has is this.

You pulled this from your ass.

If you're going to try to validate being a dick, at least get some good reasoning without the requirement of fake statistics.

Claiming to be innocent and giving us the assumption that "its bad to grief and I never do" but will now and again go off in a helicopter armed to the teeth shooting at one player with his friends throwing grenades. At least acknowlege that you grief too.

Tell me, did you record every single player you've met? Did you record if they said griefing is bad? Did you record who griefed? No, no you didn't.

You pulled this, as well, from your ass.

shattered-minds
  • shattered-minds

Lovely chap

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 22 August 2013 - 08:44 AM

I'm not bothered if I get killed, it's part of the game. Infact I don't understand the people that say "kill me once and I will spawn kill you until you rage quit" for one, its counter-productive, you've now stopped what you were doing and you'll end up getting BS Points, more than the person who did the original killing. Also, it's a frigging game where a large portion of it is about killing people and each other (otherwise why would they let people steal your money? that's pretty much an incentive). If you're that concerned about being killed play in Passive Mode all the time or enter a Friendly Freeroam if there is one.

But I say, if you're not in passive mode, your free game, and so am I.

gpcguy1
  • gpcguy1

Soldier

• Members

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:26 AM

QUOTE (shattered-minds @ Thursday, Aug 22 2013, 08:44)
I'm not bothered if I get killed, it's part of the game. Infact I don't understand the people that say "kill me once and I will spawn kill you until you rage quit" for one, its counter-productive, you've now stopped what you were doing and you'll end up getting BS Points, more than the person who did the original killing. Also, it's a frigging game where a large portion of it is about killing people and each other (otherwise why would they let people steal your money? that's pretty much an incentive). If you're that concerned about being killed play in Passive Mode all the time or enter a Friendly Freeroam if there is one.

But I say, if you're not in passive mode, your free game, and so am I.

I only do that if they're are actually being a dick not if anyone just kills me once. Only to helicopter abusers and assholes.

tom_p1980
  • tom_p1980

Semi-Retired Forum Junkie

• Members
  • England

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:39 AM Edited by tom_p1980, 22 August 2013 - 09:41 AM.

The thing is griefing was a huge issue on GTA4 because the online was so dull and boring, it won't be as much as a problem now because the game lobby/world is going to be so huge with so much other stuff to do in it, that even griefers will be bored of griefing and will end up doing liquor store robberies instead.

Even in RDR it wasn't a huge problem because there were other things to do (gang hideouts) and also other predators in the wild that would go for griefers and passives alike.

I suspect griefing in GTA:O will be extremely minimal and only done by complete and total dicks. After all you've got a whole world to explore, rob, loot, race, destroy and murder in without going for other players. All in all the cards are firmly stacked against griefers in ways it wasn't before, it's just not worth being a dick in a world so immense like GTA:O.

johnwontscore
  • johnwontscore

aka Dr Ripper

• Members
  • England

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:27 AM

QUOTE (tom_p1980 @ Thursday, Aug 22 2013, 09:39)
The thing is griefing was a huge issue on GTA4 because the online was so dull and boring, it won't be as much as a problem now because the game lobby/world is going to be so huge with so much other stuff to do in it, that even griefers will be bored of griefing and will end up doing liquor store robberies instead.

Even in RDR it wasn't a huge problem because there were other things to do (gang hideouts) and also other predators in the wild that would go for griefers and passives alike.

I suspect griefing in GTA:O will be extremely minimal and only done by complete and total dicks. After all you've got a whole world to explore, rob, loot, race, destroy and murder in without going for other players. All in all the cards are firmly stacked against griefers in ways it wasn't before, it's just not worth being a dick in a world so immense like GTA:O.

I think there'll be loads of conflicts between players that will end up in griefing. According to the interviews I've read, you'll be able to rob other players, call in airstrikes during races and the game will remind you if a player has entered who gave you a bad time on an earlier occasion, which will all add up to pretty intense conflicts and griefing.

brian.
  • brian.

Possible Descendant Of Kraff

• BUSTED!

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:29 AM

People can do it if they want. And other people can mark them as avoided players or rate them to the extent that no one else wants to play with them. So griefers, whatever, they can do what they want, I won't end up playing with people like that at all though, the system will be protecting me from them.

RedDagger
  • RedDagger

Crash test dummy

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:36 AM

QUOTE (brian. @ Thursday, Aug 22 2013, 10:29)
People can do it if they want. And other people can mark them as avoided players or rate them to the extent that no one else wants to play with them. So griefers, whatever, they can do what they want, I won't end up playing with people like that at all though, the system will be protecting me from them.

Except from what you said you have to play with them first to not play with them, which isn't a good things because then you're still having to play with griefers.

beauedwards1991
  • beauedwards1991

Prankster

• Members

Posted 22 August 2013 - 11:10 AM

I've always hated people who go out of their way to mess up someone elses fun. If both parties are happy doing it to each other, then anything goes. But if someone wants to drive around and explore, it's not nice for some arsehole to come over in a chopper and start firing rockets without warning.

FRAIZER
  • FRAIZER

Made in the '80s

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States
  • Helpfulness Award [GTA Online]

Posted 22 August 2013 - 11:43 AM

The only thing I am worried about is people being bad sports. If reporting a player for griefing is easily accessible, I think a lot of people will be reporting if they lose. No doubt that grief reporting will be incorporated into deathmatches and races, to try and get the team killers and 'racers' that just try to blow up your car if they wreck, but will that mean that people will use the grief system if they lose? Probably, because they want to be the one that sits on top, the most kills and least deaths, essentially becoming that person that they reported for griefing.

Whenever it comes to free roam, in my opinion, there should be an 'Anything Goes' lobby where there is no grief reporting because that is what that lobby would be all about, the challenge of trying to get to the bank to deposit your hard earned money without getting taken down. If it becomes too much, then you could switch to the Passive lobby or the Regular lobby. I am hoping that someone actually has to be griefing before they can be reported in the regular lobby, where accidents can happen. For example, I am trying to use an RPG to take out a police barricade and someone drives in front of me, and I accidentally hit them. That kind of accident happens a lot in Multiplayer online, especially in games like COD on Hardcore mode. You can run into the line of fire and get killed by a teammate, its just an accident. It is a thin fine line that will be hard to get right so that people don't report for accidentally getting killed vs someone following you and killing you on purpose.

I have accidentally killed people online and been accidentally killed, but I have also had someone follow me around and kill me multiple times on purpose; but I know the difference. I f*cking hate spawn camping, I hate when people do it to me and I will not spawn camp someone, even if they did it to me. I will not follow someone and kill them for no reason. I simply avoid the people that do that kind of stuff via the Xbox guide under recent players met and I hit avoid. Since R* has this new system I will report and actual griefers after I use my mic to ask them stop and they keep giving me a hard time. I just hope people don't use the "this guy is griefing" system because they lack the skill to actually win or an accident happens. A simple (non public) Avoidance system would be good for those that don't want to play with a player that is better than they are (Personally I like playing with better players because of the challenge).

Inzane-empire321
  • Inzane-empire321

Rat

• Members

Posted 22 August 2013 - 11:55 AM

QUOTE (RedDaggerXL @ Thursday, Aug 22 2013, 07:38)
But at least 70% of players have griefed on GTA games or on RDR.

The only credible thing your post has is this.

You pulled this from your ass.

If you're going to try to validate being a dick, at least get some good reasoning without the requirement of fake statistics.

Claiming to be innocent and giving us the assumption that "its bad to grief and I never do" but will now and again go off in a helicopter armed to the teeth shooting at one player with his friends throwing grenades. At least acknowlege that you grief too.

Tell me, did you record every single player you've met? Did you record if they said griefing is bad? Did you record who griefed? No, no you didn't.

You pulled this, as well, from your ass.

No not really being a dick. Just maiking a point. If voicing an opinion makes ke a dick then your a very old fashion type of guy. Im just saying that people grief and make out that they don't and my statistics are from my general experience with other players. It's like when you say to a person "you always lie" you have probably used this statment in your life but tell me, have you recorded everything they have said and have 100% confidence and proof that that person is lying? Oh wait of course you have, you are a deception expert who knows exactly when someone is lying every single time. Same thing applies not everybody griefs but a majority in mu experience have done it to me. And do you record every single player who has ever giefed you? No I didn't think you did so start a practice before you preach.I shall remember next time you post anything I will use your very expression. "You just pulled that out of your ass"

If anything you are being the dick trying to be clever and can't make civil conversation. Beanbag

RedDagger
  • RedDagger

Crash test dummy

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 22 August 2013 - 01:36 PM

QUOTE (Inzane-empire321 @ Thursday, Aug 22 2013, 11:55)
No not really being a dick. Just maiking a point. If voicing an opinion makes ke a dick then your a very old fashion type of guy. Im just saying that people grief and make out that they don't and my statistics are from my general experience with other players. It's like when you say to a person "you always lie" you have probably used this statment in your life but tell me, have you recorded everything they have said and have 100% confidence and proof that that person is lying? Oh wait of course you have, you are a deception expert who knows exactly when someone is lying every single time. Same thing applies not everybody griefs but a majority in mu experience have done it to me. And do you record every single player who has ever giefed you? No I didn't think you did so start a practice before you preach.I shall remember next time you post anything I will use your very expression. "You just pulled that out of your ass"

If anything you are being the dick trying to be clever and can't make civil conversation. Beanbag

Your entire post and point was based off of the 'fact' that most people who say they hate griefers have griefed at least once.

You're trying to validate griefing, which I referred to as 'being a dick' (not you), based off of nothing.

5 things for ya:

1. Confirmation bias. Okay, not precisely confirmation bias, but let's say every other game of TDM you have a griefer on your team. That's 1/32 people, yet because you're encountering one griefer as often as that you think that most people are griefers. "but a majority in m[y] experience have done it to me." In a majority of games, as above, that's 1/32 with a low tolerance for 'a majority'. This is my main point, the others are just being picky, but that's what you get for writing a paragraph.

2. "It's like when you say to a person "you always lie" you have probably used this statment in your life" ...nope. Well not in the case where I'm trying to make a point, anyway. But how should I treat your post if not seriously?

3."And do you record every single player who has ever giefed you? No I didn't think you did so start a practice before you preach." ...you're the one trying a make a case, I could easily pop onto GTA IV and play against, say, 50 people and give you the result. But I don't need to, because your statements have no basis in the first place.

4."I shall remember next time you post anything I will use your very expression. "You just pulled that out of your ass"" Please do tell me when I've used a statistic that's important to my point without citing where it came from, all the more better for making my point. Otherwise, 'tis a bit silly.

5."Just [making] a point. If voicing an opinion makes [m]e a dick then you['re] a very old fashion type of guy." If you're going to make a point, don't expect people to lap it up. Just because it's your opinion doesn't mean it's a sacred truth that can't be based off of heavy bias and loose reasoning, which makes it pretty worthless.

Also, "can't make civil conversation. Beanbag". Lol irony.

Artful.
  • Artful.

=AoD=

• Angels of Death MC
  • England

Posted 22 August 2013 - 02:43 PM

On RDR and IV killing people and trying to annoy them for no particular reason was understandable as there was very little to do but in V there is going to be a lot to do, such as robberies, races and tons of other stuff. This should be enough to keep people occupied so if they get so bored they feel it is necessary to grief others then they are doing something wrong.

Inzane-empire321
  • Inzane-empire321

Rat

• Members

Posted 22 August 2013 - 03:07 PM

Okay you are giving me the "that's what you get for writing a pragraph". You have just written an essay.

1. Theres not really griefing on tdm, its the objective to kill. It is a tactic to win, whereas in free roam it can be a problem to some, it's also bery difficult to grief because the spawn points switch constantly. And I had never mentioned TDM, the topic is "views on free roam griefing?" If you had read on (to my second post i believe)
correctly you would have noticed that I am not too bothered to go and get griefed, its expected in a normal game mode. If you go into a game mode where people can attack you freely, you must accept that at some point.

2. I am not arguing against griefing it may sound like it but i'm not. I'm arguing against the people who say they don't grief but they do and have done.

3. No you would not go on GTA IV and record every griefer. Well not in any ordinary circumstance i'm sure. Because you would have no reason to unless you absolutely curious as to how many people grief of you do though, please tell me the results, it would be interesting to read.

4. Okay I said that out of irritation I must admit. But what you said about pulling it out of your ass is not a statistic. But then again I may have misread your point in which case I apologise.

5. I don't expect you to lap it up. I expect you not to call me a dick which you did and it was dorected at me.

Finally fair dues on that bit it was quite ironic

tom_p1980
  • tom_p1980

Semi-Retired Forum Junkie

• Members
  • England

Posted 22 August 2013 - 03:13 PM

QUOTE (XxArtfullxX @ Thursday, Aug 22 2013, 14:43)
On RDR and IV killing people and trying to annoy them for no particular reason was understandable as there was very little to do but in V there is going to be a lot to do, such as robberies, races and tons of other stuff. This should be enough to keep people occupied so if they get so bored they feel it is necessary to grief others then they are doing something wrong.

Thats what I think. icon14.gif

But there will be a small percentage of douchebaggery going on but it will be significantly less that before.

If anything I think now griefers will watch you rob a store or do a heist then kill you as you make your escape then steal your cash or make it as hard as possible to escape the cops.

GamerToons
  • GamerToons

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 22 August 2013 - 03:17 PM

I have noticed on this forum that people have been completely hating the idea of a griefer for example I had read somewhere that I cannot recall that they would fly a jet over somebodies game of golf and they bombard it with missile attacks (assuming you can be attacked in these activites) and then people respond with "you are the worse kind of person, f*ck off". But at least 70% of players have griefed on GTA games or on RDR. It's like it is a criminal offense to attack players but when you do it, it is totally acceptable.

I myself have griefed people by attacking, but then again its not that often. I myself get griefed constantly. On RDR I only had to ride on down by armadillo and an entire gang shoots at me and then harasses me until ive done 20 laps around the map. But my point is don't moan about getting shot up, if you don't want to get gunned down go on a different mode like friendly mode or hardcore, if you don't want to be hassled too often. And then they moan that it's boring because you can't kill any players. It just really annoys me how much people are contradicting themselves. Claiming to be innocent and giving us the assumption that "its bad to grief and I never do" but will now and again go off in a helicopter armed to the teeth shooting at one player with his friends throwing grenades. At least acknowlege that you grief too.

I mean surely as well it may be worse on here since you have militarised vehicles and automatic weapons making it much easier to kill and get killed.

Anyways enough of me ranting, what are your thoughts on this?

Griefing can be fun but its ultimately pretty pointless.

Two things are already confirmed in GTA V

Users can go safe in freemode where they can't attack others or be attacked

Users can not be attacked during mini games.

Unlike GTA IV, the only grieving that exists is what you allow.

I welcome safe mode. Sometimes the griefing would get in the way of my fun in GTA IV and RDR

JOSEPH X
  • JOSEPH X

Boss

• Members

Posted 22 August 2013 - 03:29 PM

I remember doing Hangman's NOOSE to get the achievement and people would just fly around or not go to the marker until you left the game. Somebody is bound to find a way to get on your tits during these heists, so it's better to do heists with friends rather than strangers.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users