Quantcast

» «
Photo

Gun Vs Red Dead Revolver

23 replies to this topic

Poll: which western is better? (62 member(s) have cast votes)

which western is better?

1. Red Dead Revolver (19 votes [37.25%])

Percentage of vote: 37.25%

2. Gun (32 votes [62.75%])

Percentage of vote: 62.75%

Vote Guests cannot vote
GtaIvFanboy
  • GtaIvFanboy

I Have a Foot Fetish

• BUSTED!

Posted 20 August 2013 - 07:17 PM

which western do you think is better? we all know Red Dead Redemption took the western genre to a whole new level of Awesome and sh*ts on both of these from a huge distance . but which of these 2 is better? i have to say despite me being a huge rockstar fan and loving most of there games im gonna say activision done a better job with gun. it was a more complete game IMO. but hey rockstar hit back with red dead Redemption which is like 100+ times better than gun. tounge2.gif

acmilano
  • acmilano

Soldier

• Members

Posted 20 August 2013 - 07:26 PM

I liked Gun.It was a well made game,and better than Red Dead Revolver.Of course,Rockstar took that game from earlier developer and did what they can so Revolver was stil fun game to play.
One more thing,too bad that Activision put all their cards on COD,I would really like to see Gun 2 and Prototype 3,but until CODmania doesn't end Acti will put everything in only one game.

badboy_zay
  • badboy_zay

:)

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 August 2013 - 05:14 AM

both games are awesome!!! but I still like Red Dead more than GUN

rotipuj
  • rotipuj

That's all I got

• Members

Posted 21 August 2013 - 06:31 AM

I enjoyed Gun more than Red Dead Revolver. Both were good, but Gun was much better. I never finished Revolver as I got stuck on a level.

Then R* created Red Dead Redemption which is the greatest game of all time.

Daz
  • Daz

Pirandello/Kruger

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 21 August 2013 - 06:41 AM

Red Dead Revolver, easily.

Though for current gen, Call of Juarez beats anything else.

Much more of a realistic take on the genre, the 2nd one was a bit more over the top but still very decent.

Ignore the sh*tty cartel version, but the latest one, Gunslinger, was actually pretty cool, I just wanted some more weapons and co-op.

But really, revolver was a thousand times better than redemption, they had the gameplay and shooting so down in that game.

I remember I used to just play against bots in multiplayer all through 2004.

They need to release a HD version of revolver on current or next gen consoles, the gameplay even now is more solid than most sh*t out these days. Rockstar really knew what they were doing last gen.

rotipuj
  • rotipuj

That's all I got

• Members

Posted 22 August 2013 - 07:29 AM

QUOTE (Daz @ Wednesday, Aug 21 2013, 06:41)
Red Dead Revolver, easily.

Though for current gen, Call of Juarez beats anything else.

Much more of a realistic take on the genre, the 2nd one was a bit more over the top but still very decent.

Ignore the sh*tty cartel version, but the latest one, Gunslinger, was actually pretty cool, I just wanted some more weapons and co-op.

But really, revolver was a thousand times better than redemption, they had the gameplay and shooting so down in that game.

I remember I used to just play against bots in multiplayer all through 2004.

They need to release a HD version of revolver on current or next gen consoles, the gameplay even now is more solid than most sh*t out these days. Rockstar really knew what they were doing last gen.

You really think Revolver is better than Redemption? In what ways is it better? The shooting is Redemption is the best in any game ever, aside from Max Payne 3 which I only played a little. I enjoy shooting in Redemption more than any other TPS or FPS.

The story in Revolver is crap compared to the amazing story of Redemption.

John Marston is the greatest game protagonist of all time. The characters in Revolver aren't memorable at all, whereas in Redemption most of the characters are my all time favorites.

R* nailed the atmosphere and the feel of the Wild West in Redemption. I just love strolling around taking in all the wonderful sights. Every single thing in Redemption is a miles better than Revolver. Redemption is a million times better than Revolver.

That's not to say I didn't enjoy Revolver at all. I did. It was quite fun back in the day. I didn't finish it though, got stuck on the prison level near the end of the game.

Njale
  • Njale

Prankster

• Members

Posted 22 August 2013 - 07:36 AM

Gun ofc, RDR is more of a sequel to Gun than to revolver. It has an amazing story and awesome gameplay, those boss fights ware so hard it took me a few months to beat the last one.

G D
  • G D

Praise the sun, or die trying.

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 August 2013 - 08:00 AM

QUOTE (Njale @ Thursday, Aug 22 2013, 11:36)
Gun ofc, RDR is more of a sequel to Gun than to revolver. It has an amazing story and awesome gameplay, those boss fights ware so hard it took me a few months to beat the last one.

Fun fact:

RDR is actually Red Dead Revolver.
RDR2 is Red Dead Redemption.

All Gun really shares with Redemption is the open world.

Red Dead Revolver & Redemption share the The Dead Eye, Revolver's Dead Eye is actually level 2 in Redemption.

Gun has a different "gunslinger" system.

@To Daz: Just because you like the older R* titles more, (GTA 2, Revolver) doesn't mean they're better. It's your opinion, not a fact in the slightest. Redemption is the best western game yet. Now that's a fact. Love it or hate it, you gotta accept the facts man. You joined in 01 for god's sake.

OT: I enjoyed both.

AceRay
  • AceRay

In my restless dreams, I see that town...

• Members

Posted 22 August 2013 - 08:18 AM

QUOTE (gdsaqqq @ Thursday, Aug 22 2013, 21:00)
@To Daz: Just because you like the older R* titles more, (GTA 2, Revolver) doesn't mean they're better. It's your opinion, not a fact in the slightest. Redemption is the best western game yet. Now that's a fact. Love it or hate it, you gotta accept the facts man. You joined in 01 for god's sake.

user posted image

what the actual f*ck? how is RDR the best western game not an opinion? Isn't ranking anything as the best as means that it is an opinion as much as saying its not?

Anyway, I really liked GUN, never really got the hate it gets sometimes. It was fun and had pretty good graphics too.

It was f*cking brutal too. You could scalp innocent people's heads off for no purpose. I loved that.

It should have been paced better, it goes by way too fast. For example, you go into a new town and there's this evil mayor who's going to betray you. If this was a R* game, you'd do a few missions for him and then he betrays you and you work at getting back at him for a few missions, leading up to the grand finale where it feels epic. But in GUN, the very same mission he is introduced, he betrays you, and the whole story arc in that town goes by in around 2 missions. Same with all the areas, like the first town or the Native Americans you team up with briefly.

G D
  • G D

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 August 2013 - 08:52 AM

Look I don't want to write a long ass post explaining sh*t.

I'll just say this:

SA is the best 3D GTA. (Not including IV) that's a fact. But in my opinion VC is better.

I hope you got my point. RDR Is the best western by fact objectively. No opinions here.

Have a nice day!

AceRay
  • AceRay

• Members

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:19 AM Edited by AceRay, 22 August 2013 - 09:33 AM.

QUOTE (gdsaqqq @ Thursday, Aug 22 2013, 21:52)
SA is the best 3D GTA. (Not including IV) that's a fact. But in my opinion VC is better.

I hope you got my point. RDR Is the best western by fact objectively. No opinions here.

but... saying SA is the best GTA isn't a fact, that's an opinion in itself! What constitutes it being the best GTA? Are you talking about the fact it has the most things in it and it has the biggest map, does that make it the "best" GTA? Then you should say "GTA SA may have had the most features, but I prefer VC because of X"

Different strokes for different folkes, dude. What you constitute as being the "best" doesn't transfer to everyone. Daz is different from you, he has different opinions to what's better in the game, fact wise, he prefers the action from Call of Juarez over RDR. This is from someone who loves RDR btw.

I'd like to say that Daz once used the word "hipster" to describe RDR, which I don't think is the right term to use, I don't think he realizes what that really means, aside from that, he's completely cool.

Fireman
  • Fireman

Cunning Stunter

• Members

Posted 22 August 2013 - 11:00 AM

Gun had a way better atmosphere than Red Dead Revolver because of the story and it felt less like an arcade-game than RDR.

Revolver was one giant long arcade shooter in different settings, which also goes for Call of Juarez (I only played the first one because it looked interesting, then it was boring as f*ck). But if you like arcade shooters I'd say RDR is better, but overall as Singleplayer game, not for me.

It should have been paced better, it goes by way too fast. For example, you go into a new town and there's this evil mayor who's going to betray you. If this was a R* game, you'd do a few missions for him and then he betrays you and you work at getting back at him for a few missions, leading up to the grand finale where it feels epic.

Kind of silly because when you compare Gun to Red Dead Revolver, Gun is actually the game with the slower pace, since in RDR you're in a shoot-out as soon as the mission loads.

Gun had a nice amount of side-things to do as well, which I don't recall RDR ever having.

Daz
  • Daz

Pirandello/Kruger

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 22 August 2013 - 12:39 PM

QUOTE (gdsaqqq @ Thursday, Aug 22 2013, 08:00)

Opinions are like assholes, everybody's got one.

You just contradicted yourself bigtime there.

It is easy to tell that whenever a new Rockstar game comes out, all the little kids come out that only get allowed one game a year, start sucking the the metaphorical dick of Rockstar.

I can understand Rockstar puts a lot of effort into their games, and I am not totally writing off a game like RDR or GTAIV for being completely sh*t. I do however give solid examples of why their games (This generation only) often suck a lot of testicles frequently.

The sheer fact someone is willing to tell me they think the shooting in RDR is better than any other game, tells me exactly that they haven't played bugger all else to compare it to. It is not even opinion, BECAUSE if you barely play games, and these are your only sources for your opinion you don't get the right to tell someone like me who has played basically every single shooter that has come out in the last 10 years that the game is better than anything else anyone might have played.

In your limited gaming experience it is your preference is RDR for shooting.

Now, the facts are that the RAGE engine is amazing, along with Unreal and Source it is probably the best to have been made, especially for driving physics. HOWEVER, starting from a very awkward and pisspoor gameplay standpoint coming from GTAIV, Red Dead Redemption got practically all the same problems that existed within IV. A lot was improved and it was a lot better than IV.

Make no mistake, the engine is incredible, but don't confuse that with actual game mechanics. Just because it is really satisfying someone taking a shotgun to the face and flying into a wall, it has no bearing on the actual shooting mechanics, which are very mediocre.

I won't go into much more detail as nobody will even read this post, but some of the issues with RDR that annoyed me were:

-The similar boat-like steering of the character.
-No crosshair and shooting while moving at a jogging pace. (like Max Payne)
-The constant irritation of the character putting away his weapon if not being aimed or fired despite not being told to.
-Having to hold the A button to do anything other than walk slower than a dog dragging it's arse along the carpet.
-Constant bullsh*t animations for skinning animals that were unskippable unless you were lucky to glitch it.
-Constant bullsh*t comments for skinning animals complaining about it being "disgusting" or "gross" in an age which it would not only be completely normal for everyone to be doing that, but over the course of the game Marston never gets used to it or shuts up about it.
-Ridiculous tutorial missions that seemed to span over 30 hours into the game. (I know how to climb a f*cking ladder ffs)
-Extremely drab and dull enviroment. (I get it is 1914 but there was a distinct lack of locations and things to do.)
-Stupidly dumb ending.
-Awful plot and storyline, extremely repetitive, boring and over the top characters that were neither funny or cool.

I could go on and on, but without the RAGE engine, the game would have been an utter disaster.

Not that the MP Free roam wasn't a great laugh, but that does not have any relation to the singleplayer and how the story sucked, in terms of missions and plot, and that there was still that lingering sluggishness with movements and animations left over from GTAIV.

In short, Red Dead Redemption is a modern person's take on the west and it shows. It is too mainstream and typical.

Red Dead Revolver however had the core mechanics of shooting down solid, and it felt REALLY nice shooting someone in the head. Everything in Red Dead Redemption was a downright chore to do, and not fun to play after the 50th hour let alone the 100th or 500th hour which it should have been.

All for now.

@AceRay, I don't use the word hipster, but it could be seen that way, like I mentioned above.

GtaIvFanboy
  • GtaIvFanboy

I Have a Foot Fetish

• BUSTED!

Posted 22 August 2013 - 02:56 PM

QUOTE (Daz @ Thursday, Aug 22 2013, 12:39)
QUOTE (gdsaqqq @ Thursday, Aug 22 2013, 08:00)

Opinions are like assholes, everybody's got one.

You just contradicted yourself bigtime there.

It is easy to tell that whenever a new Rockstar game comes out, all the little kids come out that only get allowed one game a year, start sucking the the metaphorical dick of Rockstar.

I can understand Rockstar puts a lot of effort into their games, and I am not totally writing off a game like RDR or GTAIV for being completely sh*t. I do however give solid examples of why their games (This generation only) often suck a lot of testicles frequently.

The sheer fact someone is willing to tell me they think the shooting in RDR is better than any other game, tells me exactly that they haven't played bugger all else to compare it to. It is not even opinion, BECAUSE if you barely play games, and these are your only sources for your opinion you don't get the right to tell someone like me who has played basically every single shooter that has come out in the last 10 years that the game is better than anything else anyone might have played.

In your limited gaming experience it is your preference is RDR for shooting.

Now, the facts are that the RAGE engine is amazing, along with Unreal and Source it is probably the best to have been made, especially for driving physics. HOWEVER, starting from a very awkward and pisspoor gameplay standpoint coming from GTAIV, Red Dead Redemption got practically all the same problems that existed within IV. A lot was improved and it was a lot better than IV.

Make no mistake, the engine is incredible, but don't confuse that with actual game mechanics. Just because it is really satisfying someone taking a shotgun to the face and flying into a wall, it has no bearing on the actual shooting mechanics, which are very mediocre.

I won't go into much more detail as nobody will even read this post, but some of the issues with RDR that annoyed me were:

-The similar boat-like steering of the character.
-No crosshair and shooting while moving at a jogging pace. (like Max Payne)
-The constant irritation of the character putting away his weapon if not being aimed or fired despite not being told to.
-Having to hold the A button to do anything other than walk slower than a dog dragging it's arse along the carpet.
-Constant bullsh*t animations for skinning animals that were unskippable unless you were lucky to glitch it.
-Constant bullsh*t comments for skinning animals complaining about it being "disgusting" or "gross" in an age which it would not only be completely normal for everyone to be doing that, but over the course of the game Marston never gets used to it or shuts up about it.
-Ridiculous tutorial missions that seemed to span over 30 hours into the game. (I know how to climb a f*cking ladder ffs)
-Extremely drab and dull enviroment. (I get it is 1914 but there was a distinct lack of locations and things to do.)
-Stupidly dumb ending.
-Awful plot and storyline, extremely repetitive, boring and over the top characters that were neither funny or cool.

I could go on and on, but without the RAGE engine, the game would have been an utter disaster.

Not that the MP Free roam wasn't a great laugh, but that does not have any relation to the singleplayer and how the story sucked, in terms of missions and plot, and that there was still that lingering sluggishness with movements and animations left over from GTAIV.

In short, Red Dead Redemption is a modern person's take on the west and it shows. It is too mainstream and typical.

Red Dead Revolver however had the core mechanics of shooting down solid, and it felt REALLY nice shooting someone in the head. Everything in Red Dead Redemption was a downright chore to do, and not fun to play after the 50th hour let alone the 100th or 500th hour which it should have been.

All for now.

@AceRay, I don't use the word hipster, but it could be seen that way, like I mentioned above.

John Marston is tired of your bullsh*t

G D
  • G D

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 August 2013 - 09:10 AM

There are so many ways I can "attack" you guys, I won't write a TL;DR post.

I didn't say Redemption had the best gunplay ever, far from it.
You could atleast said "IMO" because if you look at games objectively, you realize that X Is better than Y in this, and this, and that. I said objectively, when you look at games subjectively you're looking at it with your own tastes, what you didn't like, liked, etc.
For your information, I played tons of games since I was a freaking kid. Wither its RPGs, Sport, FPS, Open-world, etc.
Don't assume I'm that "guy" who sucks rockstar's dick with every game they release. I can be a critic when I want to be.
I liked the original red dead ALOT, in fact I even prefer some things in that game than I do RDR2, that's what we call looking at it subjectively.

@AceRay: I'll Keep this extremely short, I just woke up and my head is spinning already.
I said out of III, VC, SA, LCS, VCS. SA is the best. (No IV here) not because of "things to do" it had better mechanics (shooting, driving) than III-LCS (VCS had some really good shooting compared to GTA, and only GTA)
I'm not saying SA is best in edything!#1
I hate SA for all the fanboys saying "best gayme ever!"
But you gotta give SA some slack.
I'm typing on my iPhone.
And if you knew me, you won't debate me in games.
I always win in debates concerning videogames. Don't waste my and your time on something as insignificant "discussing" what is better X or Y (even though its obvious if you see it the way real reviewers see it)

AceRay
  • AceRay

• Members

Posted 23 August 2013 - 09:30 AM

QUOTE (gdsaqqq @ Friday, Aug 23 2013, 22:10)
@AceRay: I'll Keep this extremely short, I just woke up and my head is spinning already.
I said out of III, VC, SA, LCS, VCS. SA is the best. (No IV here) not because of "things to do" it had better mechanics (shooting, driving) than III-LCS (VCS had some really good shooting compared to GTA, and only GTA)

But saying it has better mechanics is an opinion in itself. In my honest opinion, I preferred the mechanics and driving in VC over SA. You could say that it was sharper than VC but that doesn't make the mechanics better. Its called an opinion.

And if you knew me, you won't debate me in games.
I always win in debates concerning videogames. Don't waste my and your time on something as insignificant "discussing" what is better X or Y (even though its obvious if you see it the way real reviewers see it)

Oh sh*t, this guy is tough, he always wins video game arguments! I'm shaking in my shoes right now!

@fireman: I'm just saying that the storyline moved along far too quickly and you barely spend any time in towns during the storyline.

bluetops
  • bluetops

Chupacabra

• Members

Posted 23 August 2013 - 02:03 PM

Haven't played Revolver, but I'd say GUN was very amazing. But too short. It's the ONLY game I get to 100%.

Johan
  • Johan

• The Yardies
  • Dominican-Republic

Posted 23 August 2013 - 02:31 PM

GUN was actually a pretty amazing game from what I've played, I never touched Red Dead Revolver so I can't have a word on that.. but GUN, pretty underrated for a western game.

Chukkles
  • Chukkles

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 24 August 2013 - 01:12 AM Edited by Chukkles, 24 August 2013 - 01:15 AM.

I loved Gun, but other than hearding missions whenever you want, RDR done it better.

Unless your talking about revolver, I never played it but it was on rails so Gun has it there.

I won't vote until I'm clear what game your talking about.

GtaIvFanboy
  • GtaIvFanboy

I Have a Foot Fetish

• BUSTED!

Posted 24 August 2013 - 01:39 AM

QUOTE (Chukkles @ Saturday, Aug 24 2013, 01:12)
I loved Gun, but other than hearding missions whenever you want, RDR done it better.

Unless your talking about revolver, I never played it but it was on rails so Gun has it there.

Im Comparing Gun And Revolver smile.gif

rotipuj
  • rotipuj

That's all I got

• Members

Posted 24 August 2013 - 09:36 AM

@Daz: The only valid negative points you mentioned are the skinning animations, but they are just some minor things that don't matter. The story is not awful, the ending is not stupidly dumb and the characters are better than any other game I've played. And you mentioned that most of us are limited in our game choices. Yeah, I'm limited to a few PS3 games these days only, but that doesn't mean I haven't played some of the best games ever.

If you think the plot sucks, then tell me a game that has a better plot than Redemption.

And the controls were fine, they were improved from the GTA IV tank controls. And I'm not just talking about the way people die when you shoot them. It actually feels smooth and solid. I'll play Revolver again and see if the shooting mechanics are better.

The environments are perfect and the world never feels empty. In fact it feels more alive than any other game I've played set in a modern era. Sure, I would've liked a few more towns but still there are enough to make me feel like I'm actually living in the west.

I've heard a lot from people about the herding missions which they think are terrible. The missions were fun. No they weren't difficult or annoying, nor did they get in the way of the story. I enjoyed taking in the atmosphere and herding while talking to Bonnie.

Nothing felt like a chore, except maybe the gambling mini-games required for 100% completion. They weren't really bad though, I got 100% twice.

If Redemption was made without the RAGE engine, it would still be the best game ever. The story, the characters, the atmosphere, the world and gameplay would still be great.

You can bash Redemption for as long as you want. You might have reasons for not liking the story, but it doesn't make it awful or the ending "stupidly dumb".

Also, tell me what is the one game you've played that nailed everything down to perfection as this masterpiece.

Chukkles
  • Chukkles

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 24 August 2013 - 10:02 AM

QUOTE (GtaIvFanboy @ Saturday, Aug 24 2013, 01:39)
QUOTE (Chukkles @ Saturday, Aug 24 2013, 01:12)

Im Comparing Gun And Revolver smile.gif

Ok I vote Gun just because Revolver was not free roam.

Nah Tso Gud
  • Nah Tso Gud

SuperHonky

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 30 August 2013 - 06:33 AM

I like GUN, I even prefer certain things from that game in comparison to RDR(edemption), mainly just the time period, though.

The "open world" of GUN only holds a little weight when compared to Revolver. The world of GUN is pretty much completely empty... Not in the way some people call Redemption's world empty.... but actually empty. Aside from the staged robberies on specific parts of the map, which are pretty pathetic, haha.

Rown
  • Rown

weltvolkzeit

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 30 August 2013 - 07:32 AM

I enjoyed GUN quite a bit. I played it on the PS2 to 100% and am hoping to get it for the 360 so I can repeat that. I really liked the wildlife and hunting components, though I didn't like how herding and poker were mission limited. I would've done both of those things for days.

Revolver felt almost generic or exploitive though I don't know of what (something about the crazy carny clowns). The duels were okay but I mostly remember getting frustrated with the final duelist of the game. The lack of an open world or much in the way of side missions brings it down in comparison too.

Red Dead Redemption is almost more of a spiritual successor to GUN than it is to Revolver. Sorry Red.

Rown rampage_ani.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users