» «
Photo

Manual shifting?

116 replies to this topic
Eddie Dean
  • Eddie Dean

Addict

• Members

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:43 AM Edited by Eddie Dean, 20 August 2013 - 09:47 AM.

Why hasn't R* ever implemented this? It isn't too hard I guess, especially with the new weapon wheel we can now use the directional buttons for sth else. It's a game that focuses on cars alot (hence the name) so I wonder why this has never been brought up. What do you think?

EDIT: I forgot to mention this is meant as an OPTION, and no more.

Doitmyself
  • Doitmyself

Peon

• Members

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:44 AM

NO, if you want shifting go play forza, or grid or something else.

Stewlil
  • Stewlil

Better when high

• Members

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:46 AM

'Cause it would confuse kids/americans too much if it was mandatory, and GTA has never been one for adjustable settings. That's all I can think of tbh.

I'd love it, it would give you loads more control of your car, drifting would be possible.

Saintdestroyer
  • Saintdestroyer

★★★★★★★★★

• Members

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:48 AM

Please exile the OP from these forums!!

baseb
  • baseb

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:49 AM

Probably because it would become annoying when you're trying to get away and shoot the cops then getting the gear changes wrong.

Jack0711
  • Jack0711

Bugstar Employee

• Members

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:51 AM

Yes, and the gear we are in affects our Miles per Gallon, which in turn affects how often we need to refuel. Oh, and abusing the gearbox will result in it breaking and us needed to call a tow truck to take us to the nearest mechanic.

"Sorry Trevor, cancel that heist, I broke my gearbox."

Eddie Dean
  • Eddie Dean

Addict

• Members

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:57 AM

Please exile the OP from these forums!!

Seriously? I'm just adding some fresh discussion instead of reviving the same old topics again.

Yes, and the gear we are in affects our Miles per Gallon, which in turn affects how often we need to refuel. Oh, and abusing the gearbox will result in it breaking and us needed to call a tow truck to take us to the nearest mechanic.

"Sorry Trevor, cancel that heist, I broke my gearbox."

I gotta make clear it's not to add realism only, it's just a new OPTIONAL mechanic that could make for example drifting possible and would make racing more interesting. It's just like auto-aim and free aim, there'll be manual races and autoshift races. To be honest I'll even be playing autoshift myself mostly as I suck at shifting, but thought it would be something many would like.

kasparlaks
  • kasparlaks

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:59 AM

I hate it. Ban the OP.

Jk. I'm just curious how manual gearbox would turn out.

Bobbyleez
  • Bobbyleez

MARK NUTT!!

• Members

Posted 20 August 2013 - 10:01 AM

Since I've played Forza, I've been having a hard time playing any other racing game simply because of the manual w/clutch option.

But i wouldn't want this in GTA, personally.

nigelhere9901
  • nigelhere9901

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 20 August 2013 - 10:02 AM

I don't think that would be necessary.

KingBash
  • KingBash

September 17

• Members

Posted 20 August 2013 - 10:03 AM

id like it, worked fine on forza made the driving more fun icon14.gif

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 20 August 2013 - 10:05 AM

Doitmyself & Saintdestroyer; you're pathetic.

OT: I'm not a huge fan of manual shifting in games. I find it tedious. However, it's popular and I see no harm in an option in the menu to enable it.

The question is, how would it be implemented? With so many features, there's not going to be space to map it to the controller - THAT'S why they've never included it. Not because "it's not Forza" (childish pathetic stupid argument), but because there's just no room to map it to the controllers. PC would of course be excluded from this, with its keyboard but, unless R* developed their own controller, it's not too plausible.

The only way i can see is using the right stick to flick up/down to gear up/down, but then you lose camera control....

braedanpebley
  • braedanpebley

PurpScurpPunk420

• Members

Posted 20 August 2013 - 10:08 AM

This is a much wanted feature of mine. I mapped my shifting controls to the right joystick in MCLA and it worked perfectly. (Up shifts up, ect.)

Eddie Dean
  • Eddie Dean

Addict

• Members

Posted 20 August 2013 - 10:09 AM

QUOTE (Mokrie Dela @ Tuesday, Aug 20 2013, 10:05)
Doitmyself & Saintdestroyer; you're pathetic.

OT: I'm not a huge fan of manual shifting in games. I find it tedious. However, it's popular and I see no harm in an option in the menu to enable it.

The question is, how would it be implemented? With so many features, there's not going to be space to map it to the controller - THAT'S why they've never included it. Not because "it's not Forza" (childish pathetic stupid argument), but because there's just no room to map it to the controllers. PC would of course be excluded from this, with its keyboard but, unless R* developed their own controller, it's not too plausible.

The only way i can see is using the right stick to flick up/down to gear up/down, but then you lose camera control....

Yeah I figured that especially for the old games, but now we have the weapon wheel (press LB/L1 then directional button) we could maybe use the directional buttons for something else. Also in driving the handbrake is double-mapped (A/X and RB/R1). If they'd make the weapon wheel available in cars, we'd also have X/Square available. That leaves A/X and X/Square available for shifting. This would not have been possible in any older GTA's though.

Stewlil
  • Stewlil

Better when high

• Members

Posted 20 August 2013 - 10:11 AM

^ Never thought about the controller mapping issue, this is true and probably why it's not considered. Unless you completely remapped the controller, I think there may be a way round it.

What if it was literally forza controls, you used X and B (360 mapping) to shift up and down respectively, Triggers to accelerate/brake, A to Handbrake, bumpers to aim and shoot, Y to exit the car..
Then you still have both sticks and the D-Pad free.. or am I missing something?

Dutch Psycho
  • Dutch Psycho

TETTEN! :-)

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 August 2013 - 10:12 AM

Im driving my car manual so let me ffs enjoy automatic for once biggrin.gif

zainzombie
  • zainzombie

PRE-ORDER CANCELLED! *sob sob*

• Members

Posted 20 August 2013 - 10:15 AM

QUOTE (Dutch Psycho @ Tuesday, Aug 20 2013, 10:12)
Im driving my car manual so let me ffs enjoy automatic for once biggrin.gif

haha this!

But seriously.. I wont need it. I never liked manual shifting in games.

Stewlil
  • Stewlil

Better when high

• Members

Posted 20 August 2013 - 10:18 AM

Sick of all the people coming in here saying it won't be needed because THEY don't want it, or without giving a reason at all.

Haha I swear you could hear some of the cars in SA shift up like 10 times.

LotusRIP
  • LotusRIP

King of Los Santos

• Members

Posted 20 August 2013 - 10:21 AM

It wouldn't add anything fun to the game.

Stewlil
  • Stewlil

Better when high

• Members

Posted 20 August 2013 - 10:22 AM

Drifting is fun.

So is realism.

And there's no way in hell they'd make it mandatory, and if they were going for proper realism, it would probably only be on certain cars anyway.

iddqdvie
  • iddqdvie

Oldschool Rebel

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 August 2013 - 10:23 AM

optional, why not... but as in gt5 (where i use it all the time) its important to see the RPM, so u know when to shift. but actually i dont wanna concentrate on that while in gta5, there is too much else to look at.

GrandMaster Smith
  • GrandMaster Smith

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 August 2013 - 10:34 AM

QUOTE (baseb @ Tuesday, Aug 20 2013, 01:49)
Probably because it would become annoying when you're trying to get away and shoot the cops then getting the gear changes wrong.

If you can count from 1 to 5 you can shift gears.. It's really not that hard.

I absolutely HATE driving games without an option for manual transmissions.. doing races in IV where everyone has the same car is just dumb because they all accelerate at the same speeds. Seriously who races automatics? lol

Giving us an option to set the transmission to manual would allow experienced users to be able to truly pwn the nubs who sit there saying how much manual sucks cause they can't shift through 5 gears on their own tounge.gif

Stewlil
  • Stewlil

Better when high

• Members

Posted 20 August 2013 - 10:37 AM

QUOTE (iddqdvie @ Tuesday, Aug 20 2013, 10:23)
its important to see the RPM, so u know when to shift. but actually i dont wanna concentrate on that while in gta5, there is too much else to look at.

Hmmm never thought about that, I guess you could do it by ear (as I'm sure you know, the engine evens out then begins to stutter when you are over revving and need to shift up). Or you could have a little burst of vibration in there, or even an rpm counter. But yeah I see what you mean, in a chase it would be annoying to get distracted by an RPM counter.

tenpennyisplainevil
  • tenpennyisplainevil

Ghetto Star

• Members

Posted 20 August 2013 - 10:41 AM

Some new cars have buttons on the steering wheel to shift up/down. Surely R* can reserve two buttons for shifting in a vehicle, right?

GrandMaster Smith
  • GrandMaster Smith

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 August 2013 - 10:49 AM

QUOTE (tenpennyisplainevil @ Tuesday, Aug 20 2013, 02:41)
Some new cars have buttons on the steering wheel to shift up/down. Surely R* can reserve two buttons for shifting in a vehicle, right?

I think it'd be extremely simple to set up.

IV had 2 buttons for the e-brake which was unnecessary.

Swap one of the bumper buttons for the clutch, whenever the clutch is pushed in A and X get remapped to be to down and up shift. Only takes up space for one button and would be really easy to put in.

Even just a red line going along one of the edges of the minimap could be used as a tachometer with a little number next to it to indicate which gear you're in.

Nah Tso Gud
  • Nah Tso Gud

SuperHonky

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 August 2013 - 10:55 AM

QUOTE (GrandMaster Smith @ Tuesday, Aug 20 2013, 04:49)
QUOTE (tenpennyisplainevil @ Tuesday, Aug 20 2013, 02:41)

I think it'd be extremely simple to set up.

IV had 2 buttons for the e-brake which was unnecessary.

Swap one of the bumper buttons for the clutch, whenever the clutch is pushed in A and X get remapped to be to down and up shift. Only takes up space for one button and would be really easy to put in.

Even just a red line going along one of the edges of the minimap could be used as a tachometer with a little number next to it to indicate which gear you're in.

I would absolutely love this... icon14.gif

Stewlil
  • Stewlil

Better when high

• Members

Posted 20 August 2013 - 10:57 AM

Yeah the clutch idea is pretty good.

iFight
  • iFight

The one

• Members

Posted 20 August 2013 - 10:57 AM

hell no, automatic is great.

Nah Tso Gud
  • Nah Tso Gud

SuperHonky

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 August 2013 - 11:01 AM

It would be so badass to be able to launch AWD cars... or to be rolling around 30mph, rev it up and pop the clutch in 2nd.
People that don't want it probably just don't get what kind of advantages it could give you.

beauedwards1991
  • beauedwards1991

Prankster

• Members

Posted 20 August 2013 - 11:03 AM

I would assume both bumpers are used for aiming the camera left and right, respectively. The triggers would perform reversing and acceleration. Directional buttons for character switching, so that would leave the face buttons. There would be exit/enter vehicle, shoot and a brake, leaving one button. Leaving a gear shift there would be a daft idea, as in the heat of the moment (chases) you may end up bailing out or slamming the brakes on. They could remap the bumper buttons, but it seems a better idea to have a quick snapping camera keybind instead of gearshifters.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users