Photo

GTA III on pc

10 replies to this topic
Throw Bones
  • Throw Bones

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 20 August 2013 - 12:45 AM

Well since I can't play gta III on xbox360 because its not available on the marketplace, I was wondering if I buy it for pc can I use an xbox 360 controller to play it? I have the wireless pc adapter for the xbox 360 controller. If I can use it, will I have to configure and assign all the buttons, or is there and option to use a 360 controller?

Silent
  • Silent

Moderating Cookie Monster

• Feroci Racing
  • Poland
  • Most Helpful [GTA] 2013
    Most Helpful [Modding] 2013
    Most Talented [Modding] 2013
    Best Map 2013 "ViceCityStories PC Edition"
    Best Vehicle 2013 "III Aircraft"
    Most Helpful [Modding] 2012
    Modder of the Year 2012

Posted 20 August 2013 - 12:48 AM

I think you cannot reproduce full console-style controls in PC (at least no pressure sensitive triggers and vibration)... yet.

There is a MOD IN PROGRESS to introduce full X360 pad support for the game, including vibration and such. I guess that's what you need smile.gif

JustinGunnar
  • JustinGunnar

Claudette Speed

• Members

Posted 20 August 2013 - 12:51 AM

I prefer keyboard, but can use my 360 controller with no problems.

Throw Bones
  • Throw Bones

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 20 August 2013 - 01:55 AM

QUOTE (SilentPL @ Tuesday, Aug 20 2013, 00:48)
I think you cannot reproduce full console-style controls in PC (at least no pressure sensitive triggers and vibration)... yet.

There is a MOD IN PROGRESS to introduce full X360 pad support for the game, including vibration and such. I guess that's what you need smile.gif

Thanks for the link. I just downloaded gta3 on steam and I guess I'll have to download that mod to use the controller, because right now its not letting me use it. But so far the M&K feel pretty cool and new to me, so I might just use it.

Also could you guys help me out with the display settings? What should I do to make this game look as good as possible?

Andreaz1
  • Andreaz1

Anything 80's

• Members
  • Sweden
  • Helpfulness Award

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:53 AM

QUOTE (Throw Bones @ Tuesday, Aug 20 2013, 03:55)
QUOTE (SilentPL @ Tuesday, Aug 20 2013, 00:48)

Thanks for the link. I just downloaded gta3 on steam and I guess I'll have to download that mod to use the controller, because right now its not letting me use it. But so far the M&K feel pretty cool and new to me, so I might just use it.

Also could you guys help me out with the display settings? What should I do to make this game look as good as possible?

I don't think mods work on the Steam version of the game anyway so good thing you like the mouse and keyboard so far. tounge.gif

As far as the visuals go, I can't remember all the options available in the menu but I'd say try this: up the draw distance and resolution to the max your monitor can handle. Then if you have a decent graphics card you can use either Nvidia's Control Panel or AMD's equivalent to force extra graphical goodies like AA, AF and all sorts of other things onto the game. I think that's about how far you can go with the original game (which in my opinion still looks pretty good). If you want to go further there are various mods you can download to enhance the graphics and game world, but again, I don't think they will work on the Steam version of the game.

Silent
  • Silent

• Feroci Racing
  • Poland
    Modder of the Year 2012

Posted 20 August 2013 - 11:29 AM

QUOTE (Andreaz1 @ Tuesday, Aug 20 2013, 11:53)
I don't think mods work on the Steam version of the game anyway so good thing you like the mouse and keyboard so far. tounge.gif

Some mods do - GInputVC does, so GInputIII will tounge.gif

Xegethra
  • Xegethra

Trick

• Members

Posted 20 August 2013 - 05:35 PM

I used to play this on PS2 as we always had slow crappy old computers at around the turn of the century. Not being that experienced with computers we didn't play many big games at the time. But then as we got better with computers, I ended up having a computer nerd friend I have build a custom computer with me. It is then that I started PC gaming. And I gotta say, I have no idea how I managed to play FPS games and Third person shooter games with a JoyPad. Some games work better with pads, I will be one to admit this..sometimes they are much better than a mouse and a keyboard. But for lots of other games I prefer not to use a pad.

It's a bit of a mix I think, and I think GTA is one of those games that works better on mouse and keyboard....however, even though it's the same genre, I can't play Saints Row without a pad. I guess because the engines are different or something.

Throw Bones
  • Throw Bones

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:09 PM

QUOTE (Xegethra @ Tuesday, Aug 20 2013, 17:35)
I used to play this on PS2 as we always had slow crappy old computers at around the turn of the century. Not being that experienced with computers we didn't play many big games at the time. But then as we got better with computers, I ended up having a computer nerd friend I have build a custom computer with me. It is then that I started PC gaming. And I gotta say, I have no idea how I managed to play FPS games and Third person shooter games with a JoyPad. Some games work better with pads, I will be one to admit this..sometimes they are much better than a mouse and a keyboard. But for lots of other games I prefer not to use a pad.

It's a bit of a mix I think, and I think GTA is one of those games that works better on mouse and keyboard....however, even though it's the same genre, I can't play Saints Row without a pad. I guess because the engines are different or something.

I don't really mind playing it on m&k, but when I want to sit on my couch and relax is when I want the controller.

Arsen Vitiuk
  • Arsen Vitiuk

Grand Theft Auto III Chain Game Former Chief

• Members
  • Ukraine

Posted 25 August 2013 - 08:35 AM

I have seen USB controllers for PC that resemble the Xbox ones rather than PS2 ones. Take your time to find such a controller, and then assign the corresponding Xbox controls for the PC version of the game. Note that in the Controls menu you will be given the "Joy1", "Joy2", "Joy3" etc values instead of what those buttons are really called on the controller. So you will either have to be good at playing on the Xbox to know what button to press (and also assign exactly the same button in the Controls menu), or you have to memorise the "Joy" number of each button on the controller, should you be referring to the instructions given in game.

Just a little heads up! Take your time to search for such a controller - it may be worth it.

Silent
  • Silent

• Feroci Racing
  • Poland
    Modder of the Year 2012

Posted 25 August 2013 - 10:49 PM

No need for such hassle, the mod is now released smile.gif

http://www.gtaforums...howtopic=562765

Now your X360 pad will be supported by the game (even Steam version) out of the box, just like most modern games do. Enjoy smile.gif

Arsen Vitiuk
  • Arsen Vitiuk

Grand Theft Auto III Chain Game Former Chief

• Members
  • Ukraine

Posted 26 August 2013 - 08:55 AM

Wow! Nice mod! I would even want to use it! Have some cookie.gif for this! Great job!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users