Quantcast

» «
Photo

Advancement in Technology - boon or a curse?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic
Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

I have moved to a new account.

• Members
  • India
  • Best Contributor [Gaming] 2012

Posted 19 August 2013 - 03:11 PM

Alright, it is my first ever topic and post here, so expect some mistakes. I hope it meets the Rules for posting and feel free to correct me, I'm not really the best debater. smile.gif Oh and don't be strong on grammar guys, since I am only 13 years old.

Well, we all know that modern society is already a dependent and sometimes over-dependent on technology. We use it in many ways, for assignments, we no longer go ask our parents or any one for help, we are just one click away from finding the answer via the internet. Nearly every single household has an internet connection. With Asia leading in internet users as of Q2 2012.

user posted image

Of course, technology in many ways is much more simpler, easier and much more efficient. Even farming techniques use modern scientific methods but my question is is it a boon or a curse?

For me it's a bit of both. I've already listed the reasons for it being a boon but it also houses some disadvantages. Unemployment for example, since nearly everything uses computers, thus minimizing the use of man. Also A.I. Artificial Intelligence which many of you know I already stated in Gen-Chat, of course there are different views on it. One - that it could happen in the near future Two - It does not seem likely. I will just quote my post from that topic, to express my thoughts:

OK, before anyone calls this by seeing 'World End' in the title and says bullsh*t please, it's actually a really interesting a concept and IMO does seem likely in the near future. So, use this thread for only serious discussions and opinions please.

Now, we all know the plot of the famous Terminator movies. Basically, the concept is that computers will take over the world in the future. The Matrix also has a similar concept, but it's much more detailed. Here, humans are used as enemy sources and the humans dream that they are actually in the real-world and have no idea that they are in the future and are used as power sources, similar to lucid dreaming. Who knows? We could be in The Matrix now.

Artificial Intelligence is basically giving a PC a mind of it's own. Like making it near human. Or a supercomputer which will happen in the future. However giving the PC's a mind of it's own to do functions on it's own is a risk. The PC's since they have a mind of their own may look towards humans as their own enemy and you get the rest of the idea.

Stephen Hawking's says: "The danger is real that they would develop intelligence and take over the world".

QUOTE (AceKingston)
That's a relief to hear but I forgot to mention in my first post and like I replied to lucid121, scientists are trying to give computers a mind of it's own. But this may not happen for another 100 or more years since it's extremely difficult to make just one supercomputer. We are already too dependent on PC's and technology for our daily work, one day we might use computers to control our weapons. So if a PC gets a mind of it's own it can use the weapons that we use to defend ourselves to kill ourselves. And when a PC has a mind of it's own it can control all other laptops and PC's.

Article Link

Summarizing the topic as a whole: Do you think we are over-dependent on technology? In my opinion Yes, of course we are but only to an extent, I wouldn't say over-dependent and the main question is over use of technology a boon or a curse for mankind? Well in my opinion , only time will tell the truth but it's a bit of both for me.

Tchuck
  • Tchuck

Grey Gaming

• Zaibatsu
  • Japan

Posted 19 August 2013 - 07:22 PM

Technology is what made us what we are. What is your definition of technology? Is it just the modern era stuff? Or is it any thing that was invented by humans at some point in time?

You can't separate them. We are where we are thanks to the technology we created in order to improve ourselves and our lives. Think of the technology to create and maintain a fire, to create a spear, to write on a piece of something, to build a palace, to build an airplane, to go to the moon etc.

Technology has no inherent value. It's neither good or bad, it just is. We are the ones who impose value on it. A technology that enables farmers to spend less time plowing the field will be seen as a good thing to them, but for the majority of us it will be seen as irrelevant. The same technology that brought the atom bomb also brought about countless innovations and derivations into other pieces of technology.

Bottom line is, we will always depend on technology in some way shape or form. This is neither a gift or a curse, it's just reality, it's just the way we are, it's what makes us humans.

On to the artificial intelligence, I've already expressed my opinion that an "AI revolution" by itself is a load of bull. What you could fear is highly qualified people taking control of those AI to their own ends. Your computer possesses many failsafe mechanisms, all acting below the curtain. The same is true of any AI. It will always be contained within a system and be liable to whatever restrictions were imposed on it when it was design.

Melchior
  • Melchior

come on and tell me twice

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Unknown

Posted 20 August 2013 - 06:04 AM

So, the fact that technology is used to complete assignments, means we are over relying on it? Television and the process of printing books would be considered technology as well, so if you ask your parents for help, you're still relying on technology. Am I over-dependant on technology because I utilise indoor plumbing; why can't I use technology to complete an assignment but I can use it to avoid sh*tting in a bucket? Were our prehistoric forerunners over-relying on technology by making use of spears and fire?

My point is, you're arbitrarily deciding what constitutes over-use of technology. Just because technology has become an observably bigger part of our lives in the last few years doesn't mean that's automatically a bad thing. Someone who was around at the invention of the printing press or the radio could make the same arguments you are making.

As for the AI stuff, computers aren't sentient. They don't have ambitions, they don't even have a concept of self. Theeir functioning might be quasi-cognitive, but really, all they do is respond to external commands. Self-awareness is completely useless to a computer, just because it can learn doesn't mean it's going to develop a completely useless trait. You are humanising them way too much.

Tyler
  • Tyler

This is gonna take crackerjack timing, Wang.

• Unknown
  • Newcomer of the Year 2010

Posted 20 August 2013 - 11:08 PM

QUOTE (AceKingston @ Monday, Aug 19 2013, 09:11)
Of course, technology in many ways is much more simpler, easier and much more efficient. Even farming techniques use modern scientific methods but my question is is it a boon or a curse?

Farming has always used the scientific method, even before it was called the scientific method. Don't bag on farmers, they're kind of the reason technology can continue to exponentially increase in power, quality and diversity.

Anyway: no, we're not over-relying on technology. Our ability to transform the world around us and use it to help ourselves is what makes us distinct and human. It is a part of who we are as a species. We see the world as something that can be molded to our will, and that determination is what has led us to the moon and beyond.

As for artificial intelligence: I don't have any fear that sentient machines would consider us a burden and decide to murder us violently in a gray-tinted future, no. On the whole it's more likely that any AI present in the future that might harm humans will be at the mercy of the programming of... a different human. It's far more likely that we'll use technology to completely destroy ourselves than it is likely that machines will rise up against us. That's a whole different bag, though.

El_Diablo
  • El_Diablo

"The_Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:36 PM

so you're asking two different questions.

in regards to technology; are we overdependent?
is overdependence good or bad?

these are 2 very different questions.
I wouldn't say that we are overdependent on technology. I might say that we are overdependent on certain aspects of it like 24/7 news and social media. but with respect to technology in general I would say that we are nowhere near overdependent.

overdependency would look more like the total replacement of all manual labor jobs with robots.
or it might look something like this:

user posted image

user posted image

for lack of a better reference, the Wall-E fat people really sum it up. you get the idea.
overdependence would be a loss of control. we're not at that point. so far technology is still a vital tool and asset to our progress. it doesn't hold us back, it propels us forward. as for whether or not technology is a "boon or a curse," that's a new issue.

and I would have to maintain that technology is definitely a boon.
in spite of the very obvious ways that technology has been a curse - AKA the atomic bomb - it has been much, MUCH more of a benefit to society. people live longer and better lives with more convenience, comfort, and opportunities than ever before. unfortunately this doesn't apply to all people, clearly we haven't done the best job of distributing this beneficial technology... like to Africa.

but by and large technology is a good thing.
we should be so thankful to be living in this day and age and born into lives which allow us to utilize the technology at hand.

Ziggy455
  • Ziggy455

The vulgar, Irish, writer!

• Members
  • United-Kingdom
  • Contribution Award [Expression]

Posted 22 August 2013 - 05:00 PM

Philip K. Dick's main thematic always originated from the use of technology and the negative effects it had on humans. I believe technology is a double-edged sword in many ways. It propels advancement within humans, but at the same time, it destroys it. Procrastination on laptops, less effort to complete tasks we once did with our hands.

Yes, technology is marvelous in the instance of medical-care or general care, but for other things, it appears commercialization and capitalization are stronger than the actual advancement of technology.

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 22 August 2013 - 05:48 PM

That said, we can't walk around in fear of technology today because of the worst case scenarios presented in speculative science fiction. The problem with taking science fiction at face value (aside from, you know, it's fictional and all) is that huge contrivances are made to create disasters, dystopian futures, and robots who for some reason want to kill us.

I often find myself in arguments with friends who claim we've 'lost' something with the rise of modern technology - take handwriting, for example, fast becoming a lost art. My position is that this is inevitable and clinging onto romantic visions of the past is just a case of nostalgia. However, I was having this conversation with a friend who happens to teach engineering skills at a vocational college and he said something quite sobering - many of the first year students don't know the difference between AC and DC power. That's a fact that gives me a little pause to reflect on.

• Tyler likes this

Tyler
  • Tyler

This is gonna take crackerjack timing, Wang.

• Unknown
  • Newcomer of the Year 2010

Posted 22 August 2013 - 11:11 PM

Soon enough the last people who were alive before the internet will die off. No one will remember what it was like without this incredible, binding, unifying network that spans all of human achievement.

That means you, Otter.

confederatestatesgta
  • confederatestatesgta

rebel

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 23 August 2013 - 12:59 AM

i hate all this technology i want it to be like the 1800s. im even listining to western music. right now im old school and im only 20. i feel 100. i think some of this technology is ok but it seems sort of like a curse. its kind of scary think about it if we were emp then it would be 1800s galore although yall that wouldent know what to do and cry about the stupid phone and you cant text your friends. no cars nothing. good luck to yall. technology is good but yall are just to dependant on it.

luckyshot666
  • luckyshot666

Badfella

• Members

Posted 23 August 2013 - 03:53 PM

It is bad in long stretch, I believe that it is inveitable that in some point machines will do almosg everything instead of us and people will be useless. There is no fear of machines uprising or any terminator stuff though, it is impossible for machine to think for themselves. At least for now biggrin.gif

LindaD
  • LindaD

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 26 August 2013 - 07:21 AM

In the current time people can't imagine their life without technology. Surrounding us various technologies are helping people to live their life with more luxury. The technology sector has changed and developed many products.

to throw some more light on it, refer below:
Technology Advancement

GNLL
  • GNLL

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 17 December 2013 - 06:59 PM Edited by sivispacem, 17 December 2013 - 08:53 PM. See the edit.

It's usually a cursed. People are getting lazy now a days 

Not a worthwhile bump. Locked. If someone wants the topic re-opened please PM me.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users