How you guys learn English ?

69 replies to this topic
kk.
  • kk.

So long

• Members
  • Lithuania

Posted 19 August 2013 - 04:12 PM

I learned english when I was a very little kid (6-7) playing DragonFable and PokemonCrater.

Hodgey.
  • Hodgey.

GTA III, VC, SA, LCS, VCS, IV, TLAD, TBoGT and V all 100%

• Members
  • England
  • Best Avatar 2012
    Winner of Euro 2012 Prediction League

Posted 19 August 2013 - 04:25 PM

I learned English by being born in England to English parents and attending school in England, but people from foreign countries are still better at this language than me. confused.gif

DAWeeE1
  • DAWeeE1

Peon

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 19 August 2013 - 08:43 PM

English is compulsory from the 1st grade in Sweden and I think all other Nordic countries. That, globalization and the American influence is probably the reason.

bandita_96
  • bandita_96

R = my nickname, RicsiHUN

• Members

Posted 19 August 2013 - 08:44 PM

I learn English since 3rd grade. And now I am in 10th grade smile.gif

I started to learn it in Romania and now I learn it in Germany...

Stromae
  • Stromae

Mi Na Badman

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 19 August 2013 - 08:50 PM

I first learned it by playing pokemon when I was 6. After that I learned it by watching english cartoons I had already seen in Dutch. After that I learned it from games (like SA). And now, I learn it at school.

Pretty normal I guess.

Trund
  • Trund

I'm all of ach fo her

• Members

Posted 19 August 2013 - 09:34 PM

QUOTE (RoadRunner71 @ Monday, Aug 19 2013, 11:00)
QUOTE (El_Diablo @ Monday, Aug 19 2013, 01:33)
this is true because English is definitely one of the most difficult languages to master for non-native speakers.
English has more words than any other language. English breaks almost all of its own grammar rules at some point or another; especially in conversational (versus formal, written) English. there are so many words spelled the same way but with different meanings. there are so many words spelled just one way but with different meanings. there are so many words that sound the same but are spelled differently.

it's insane.
I'm always impressed by non-native speakers who can master English. always.

Are you kidding me? It may be one of the easier languages; quite simple verbal forms and grammatical structures... The only serious difficulty I have is understanding the spoken English.

I'm pretty sure that English is even the easiest language, at least I can't think of any easier language at the moment.

I guess most of the people, including me, primarily learn English at school. With the help of movies, music, internet, books, newspapers and so on, it's not a big deal anymore to increase your English skill. Most people just seem to have problems understanding native English speakers and speaking the language themselves, but these things can also be easily improved by residing in an English speaking country for a couple of weeks, that is if you can afford it.

Andreas
  • Andreas

GTAV Forum Leader

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Austria
  • Best Avatar 2013
    Best New Member 2012
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 19 August 2013 - 11:36 PM

The english I learned in school wasn't all that useful, and I think it can be seen very well in my posts from summer last year. I improved my skills only through the internet by posting on this forum, and reading some other websites.

El_Diablo
  • El_Diablo

"The_Devil" ™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 19 August 2013 - 11:47 PM

QUOTE (Der_Don @ Monday, Aug 19 2013, 01:44)
I'm sorry, but there's a reason why almost everybody is able to speak English. It's really easy to learn, compared to other languages.

the reason so many people speak English isn't because it's easy.
it's because virtually every country outside of the US teaches English to children in primary school. because in other countries, they understand that English is the language of international business.

they just start them from a young age.
English language classes are a mandatory part of many education curriculum around the world.

QUOTE (RoadRunner71 @ Monday, Aug 19 2013, 03:00)
Are you kidding me? It may be one of the easier languages

that's easy for you to say.

non-native English speakers - who had to learn English later in life - always admit that it was one of the most difficult languages to master.
even people who are multilingual concede that it takes longer to master English than almost any other language.

Autopilot
  • Autopilot

Broke

• Members
  • Iceland

Posted 20 August 2013 - 12:17 AM

Early exposure to the language in school and on TV, and later on the internet. Additionally I worked for a while at a pretty large establishment in Reykjavík along a number of foreigners and had the chance to speak the language on a daily basis.

PerceptortheShootist
  • PerceptortheShootist

Snitch

• Members

Posted 20 August 2013 - 01:58 AM

I just learned it from everywhere.

Der_Don
  • Der_Don

2014 FIFA WC Prediction League 15th place.

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 August 2013 - 05:31 AM

QUOTE (El_Diablo @ Tuesday, Aug 20 2013, 01:47)
even people who are multilingual concede that it takes longer to master English than almost any other language.

I can't believe that. There is no reason to assume that English would be harder to learn than for example French, German or Spanish. As a non-native English speaker, I also tried to learn French, Spanish, Dutch and Swedish and there is absolutely no way that any of these languages are easier than English.

Toshio_maxoS
  • Toshio_maxoS

Heisenberg's pal™

• Members
  • Red-Cross

Posted 20 August 2013 - 05:35 AM

School. Most english I learned in... Internet. Having contact with english players and forum users.
I even think in english sometimes because I hate my german langauge ^^ But I'm still not a perfect english speaker.

acmilano
  • acmilano

Soldier

• Members

Posted 20 August 2013 - 08:41 PM

School,also movies,TV and later games and internet.Went on additional course this summer to improve my conversation skills for job.

Distrom
  • Distrom

Sodom

• Members
  • Venezuela

Posted 20 August 2013 - 08:52 PM

QUOTE (Der_Don @ Tuesday, Aug 20 2013, 01:31)

I can't believe that. There is no reason to assume that English would be harder to learn than for example French, German or Spanish. As a non-native English speaker, I also tried to learn French, Spanish, Dutch and Swedish and there is absolutely no way that any of these languages are easier than English.

You are right, English it's an easier language to learn. As a native Spanish speaker, I find English extremely easy considering I've learn it all by myself.
I also tried to learn languages like French, German and Japanese, but there's no way I could. confused.gif

LibertyKing
  • LibertyKing

Homie

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 20 August 2013 - 10:24 PM

QUOTE (Distrom @ Tuesday, Aug 20 2013, 16:52)
QUOTE (Der_Don @ Tuesday, Aug 20 2013, 01:31)

You are right, English it's an easier language to learn. As a native Spanish speaker, I find English extremely easy considering I've learn it all by myself.
I also tried to learn languages like French, German and Japanese, but there's no way I could. confused.gif

Apparently, French is easier to understand if you're Spanish than if you're English, because a bunch of Spanish words look like French words, and grammar is more alike, too. At least, that's what I've been told in school...

El_Diablo
  • El_Diablo

"The_Devil" ™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 20 August 2013 - 10:53 PM

QUOTE (Der_Don @ Monday, Aug 19 2013, 23:31)

I can't believe that.

I'm just repeating what I've heard from foreigners.
and I've been around a lot of them. especially in South America and central Europe.

Mcquiz
  • Mcquiz

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • Estonia

Posted 21 August 2013 - 02:07 AM

I bet if the main language of the internet was spanish, we could all speak it.

afk4ever
  • afk4ever

• BUSTED!

Posted 21 August 2013 - 02:27 AM

Here's a little tip for speaking English:

"Your" is a possessive. "You're" means "you are".

NEVER FORGET.

Girish
  • Girish

• India
  • Best Moderator 2011

Posted 21 August 2013 - 08:00 AM

I studied in a convent school and English was an ever-present subject amongst the languages, which later on included Marathi and Hindi. Also, the teachers concentrated more on grammar than pronunciation which is why my written English is a lot better than spoken.

killerbee25
  • killerbee25

Kaz...I'm already a demon...

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 21 August 2013 - 06:22 PM

I'd say that the media (movies,documentaries) were the biggest contributors to my knowledge of the English language.Of course school was very important as well, but by the time that I started to learn English, I was slightly more advanced than the others, which still happens today.And I'm very glad for this,because learning English really made my life easier. And funnier,when I sometimes insulted my friends and they didn't know what I was saying

Archvile78
  • Archvile78

Playa

• Members

Posted 21 August 2013 - 07:49 PM

School helped with the basis, the rest is self-taught and i'm quite proud of myself.

Zotak
  • Zotak

Tom Hardy looks like me, or is it the other way?

• Members

Posted 21 August 2013 - 09:44 PM

I learned at school for starters, then you can account the 90% of movies coming from the US as opossed to other countries, oh, and "I dated" this cute and shy American girl a while back. wink.gif She said to me once, "I love your english". So I guess I don't have a very thick german accent then. ph34r.gif

PS: women are the same everywhere, they fake o...I mean lie as any other girl.

G D
  • G D

Praise the sun, or die trying.

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 August 2013 - 02:05 AM

You can say that i'm a little "English prodigy" (compared to the average guy)

I'm the best english speaker/reader (not so much listener...to new accents/"fast" words) in my entire school. And it's not even close...

I haven't improved my english since i was 13 for gods sake.... i'm turning 17 in about 2 months now... still hasn't learned sh*t.

Videogames and to a lesser extent, TV/Films are what taught me English. Nobody ever taught me....i'm better than my goddamn teacher... who can't teach for sh*t. my classmates seek me out all the time it's like a curse.... "Hey ////, what does this mean? smile.gif " They expect me, someone who never read a book about English to translate in ONE word?! It would take lectures to explain the word f*ck.

It's a f*cking miracle considering i'm a f*cking Saudi! saudi teenager + english? no f*cking way, right?

I even forget "some" Arabic words, who am i sh*tting? i forgot a f*ck-load ton of words.

/rant over

RichyB
  • RichyB

Crush grapes mate. Sorry? You're a grape crusher. Next.

• Members

Posted 22 August 2013 - 02:27 AM

English is such a beautiful language because, as apparent on these forums, it allows people from nations all over the world to discuss the things they are all passionate about, in this instance GTA.

I mean, if we all just spoke different languages this forum would be far less busy.

Anyway, I really don't recommend learning English from the internet if you're sitting any exams in English, it's really only useful for learning the language casually as a lot of what is written is some of the most incomprehensible old sh*te I have ever come across.

And if you don't know what something means, never be embarrassed to ask or look it up, I mean you can look up words pretty easily but phrases and sayings can be more difficult. Never be afraid to ask somebody what they mean when they say something you don't understand.

TheDavid
  • TheDavid

☦ Orthodoxy ☦

• Members

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:05 AM

'Murrican born and raised.

But I do give credit to every single person who can speak fluent English from a non-English speaking country.

Double L.
  • Double L.

I hate Trevor !!

• Members

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:11 AM Edited by Double L., 22 August 2013 - 10:14 AM.

I have started playing Grand Theft Auto when i was 6. And speaking English were my dream. It feels like boss to me. lol.gif

When i was 10 years old, i were taking English lessons at the school. Then i went to a someone who knows English. He helped me. I was A1 level. When i was 15 my level was A2. And now i'm B1(pre-intermediate) in English. Also i'm going Language category in the school. It helps me very well. Also i went a language course when i was A2. (american cultural association)

I'm still B1. I'm learning English because i love American culture, i love American musics. I love foreing people and i want to go a lot of countries in the world.

Also videogames, musics, movies are the best helpful things to learn English. I'm learning somethings alone. So it makes me different in my school.

MetalMilitia
  • MetalMilitia

Dimebag

• Members

Posted 22 August 2013 - 11:14 AM

Im polish, i came to england like 6 years ago, i learned English the hard way in school, with no help smile.gif , but i got there smile.gif

MikeWh
  • MikeWh

Bender

• Members

Posted 22 August 2013 - 12:13 PM

QUOTE (MetalMilitia @ Thursday, Aug 22 2013, 11:14)
Im polish, i came to england like 6 years ago, i learned English the hard way in school, with no help smile.gif , but i got there smile.gif

Out of interest and I know this'll drag off topic; how did you find the transition into English school? We had a Lithuanian kid in my form at school and the form used to bully him (myself included at one point and it's not something I'm proud of) and was wondering if people had taken exception to your difference?

Also which bit of England, out of interest?

Shenmue18
  • Shenmue18

GTAF's #1 Trevor hater.

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 22 August 2013 - 12:15 PM

QUOTE (Nipperkins @ Sunday, Aug 18 2013, 18:52)
I was born in an English speaking country and grew up in an English speaking household.

Same for me.

Melchior
  • Melchior

come on and tell me twice

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • China

Posted 22 August 2013 - 01:51 PM

QUOTE (El_Diablo @ Monday, Aug 19 2013, 11:33)
there are so many words spelled the same way but with different meanings. there are so many words spelled just one way but with different meanings. there are so many words that sound the same but are spelled differently.

English isn't really exceptional in any of these areas. And it only seems to have a huge vocabulary if you count inflections, but then it is still out done even by romance languages.

If anything, English could be hard to learn because there's so many different dialects.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users