» «
Photo

GTA IV is using Intel HD Graphics 4000 and not AMD

10 replies to this topic
garliccrouton
  • garliccrouton

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 17 August 2013 - 06:19 PM Edited by garliccrouton, 17 August 2013 - 06:23 PM.

I have a Dell Inspiron 15R Special Edition. It has switchable graphics (Intel and AMD Graphic cards)
I've tried doing everything I could in the Catalyst Control Center. I put LaunchGTAIV.exe and GTAIV.exe on High Performance mode and the game still uses the Intel card.

I'm running the Steam version of the game.

Benchmark:
Statistics
Average FPS: 15.81
Duration: 55.65 sec
CPU Usage: 44%
System memory usage: 64%
Video memory usage: 35%

Graphics Settings
Video Mode: 1920 x 1080 (60 Hz)
Texture Quality: High
Shadow Quality: High
Reflection Resolution: High
Water Quality: Very High
Texture Filter Quality: Anisotropic x4
Night Shadows: Off
View Distance: 25
Detail Distance: 31

Hardware
Microsoft Windows 8

Video Adapter: Intel® HD Graphics 4000
Video Driver version: 8.17.10.1140
Audio Adapter: Speakers (Conexant SmartAudio HD)
Intel® Core™ i5-3230M CPU @ 2.60GHz

File ID: Benchmark.cli

Edit: The graphics card I want it to use is called AMD Radeon HD 7730M

miromiro
  • miromiro

Time Killa™

• Zaibatsu
  • None
  • GTANet Contribution Award [Newbie Guide]
    Most Improved 2010

Posted 17 August 2013 - 06:22 PM

There are only 3 solutions I know of to fix this problem, but none are 100% confirmed to work. However, trying won't kill.
    1. Create a Commandline and write down the following Commands:
    CODE
    -novblank
    -norestrictions
    -noprecache
    -nomemrestrict
    -percentvidmem 1.0
    -availablevidmem 0.7

If you have a Graphics Card that has more than 700MB VRAM, then change the number of -availablevidmem to your Graphics Card's VRAM (Example: If you have 1MB VRAM ,then write -availablevidmem 1.0)
    2. If the first solution didn't work, remove all commands, and try these ones, suggested by Rockstar:
    CODE
    -availablevidmem 2.0

If that doesn't help, try increasing it to 3.0, 4.0, 5.0 etc. This was also said to be only a workaround, not confirmed to fix it surely.
    3. This one seemed to have helped a few people. Try downloading the 270.28 Nvidia Drivers. Might help you.
That's all I got. Alternatively, you can check out this topic for a longer discussion about your problem. You might find a working solution there if what I posted doesn't help. Besides, where do you have the game from? Are you using any mods or cracks? Do you play with the original DVD in your Drive?

garliccrouton
  • garliccrouton

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 17 August 2013 - 06:26 PM

I'm not using any DVD's, it's the Steam version.
The only mod I use is Simple Native Trainer, but I sometimes remove it to play online and it still uses the Intel Card.

I'll try your methods above and reply back.

garliccrouton
  • garliccrouton

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 17 August 2013 - 06:41 PM Edited by garliccrouton, 17 August 2013 - 06:46 PM.

I'm back. With your first option the FPS rose to 23 but the game still occasionally stutters and isn't as smooth as the videos I see on YouTube who have the same laptop as me

With Option 2, the game put all the graphics to low and it said my resource usage is exceeding the limit.

And... in both tests the game STILL chooses to run on Intel HD Graphics.

I'll look at the forum you suggested.

garliccrouton
  • garliccrouton

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 17 August 2013 - 06:58 PM

Nothing is working...

cp1dell
  • cp1dell

Ghetto Star

• Members

Posted 18 August 2013 - 05:48 AM

I'm not exactly sure how this switchable graphics card thing works, but can't you just switch over to the AMD GPU, go into Device Manager, and disable the Intel GPU - so GTA IV can't detect the Intel one, and is forced to use the AMD GPU?

Cody5699
  • Cody5699

• Members

Posted 20 August 2013 - 10:59 PM

Try this commandline, i run this game at 20 to 35 fps on Mobile Intel 965 Express Chipset Family...

CODE
-width 640
-height 400
-percentvidmem 100
-availablevidmem 100.0
-norestrictions
-texturequality 2
-shadowquality 0
-reflectionquality 0
-waterquality 0
-detailquality 0
-viewdistance 0
-novblank
-disableimposters
-noprecache

garliccrouton
  • garliccrouton

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:30 PM

QUOTE (cp1dell @ Sunday, Aug 18 2013, 05:48)
I'm not exactly sure how this switchable graphics card thing works, but can't you just switch over to the AMD GPU, go into Device Manager, and disable the Intel GPU - so GTA IV can't detect the Intel one, and is forced to use the AMD GPU?

I think I already tried doing that before. Before the main menu appeared, It crashed and I got a critical error.

garliccrouton
  • garliccrouton

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:32 PM Edited by garliccrouton, 23 August 2013 - 02:53 PM.

QUOTE (Cody5699 @ Tuesday, Aug 20 2013, 22:59)
Try this commandline, i run this game at 20 to 35 fps on Mobile Intel 965 Express Chipset Family...

CODE
-width 640
-height 400
-percentvidmem 100
-availablevidmem 100.0
-norestrictions
-texturequality 2
-shadowquality 0
-reflectionquality 0
-waterquality 0
-detailquality 0
-viewdistance 0
-novblank
-disableimposters
-noprecache

I'll try that later. I'll edit this post with results.

Edit: Now it runs a lot worse... FPS drops everywhere.

radioman
  • radioman

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 28 September 2013 - 09:53 AM Edited by radioman, 28 September 2013 - 09:55 AM.

i run this game at 20 to 35 fps on Mobile Intel 965 Express Chipset Family...

First of all, I call bull on someone running the game on a mobile Intel 965 chipset, as I have tried that and the game WILL NOT launch on that card-and that was Windows XP Pro SP3 used for the test with a Intel Centrino (Core 2 Duo) and an Intel 965 Express chipset video card and 2GB Ram...So, proof needed there...lol So, I highly doubt the game runs on that card..?

OT-Have you tried disabling the Intel video card from the BIOS so it will force the PC to use the AMD card instead?

Alt
  • Alt

BugBear's Fan

• Members

Posted 28 September 2013 - 10:43 AM

OT-Have you tried disabling the Intel video card from the BIOS so it will force the PC to use the AMD card instead?

That damn 'switchable graphics' is similar to NVidia Optimus. Meaning better GPU (AMD/Nvidia) works through worse GPU (Intel). So the only way to use discrete card is to use both Intel & AMD cards. Here's official answer which confirms that:

Inspiron 15R SE 7520 has an onboard Intel Graphics Card and a discrete AMD Radeon card. The laptop is designed in a way that the Intel video card stays on by default and the AMD video card only turns on when graphic intensive applications are run. This feature is to save the battery.

No wonder game shows your GPU this way

As for FPS, you should test GTAIV in both performance modes. If there's no difference than you have a problem with the game or driver.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users