19 replies to this topic
fastdriver
  • fastdriver

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 16 August 2013 - 01:48 AM

So this happened:
http://jalopnik.com/...more-1150362156

Here's the petition to sign if you're sick of this 25 year import ban for vehicles in the USA
https://petitions.wh...trucks/KFydJwv9

Michaś
  • Michaś

No US for me in 2014... BLNT

• Members

Posted 16 August 2013 - 07:18 AM

I honestly think this 25 year old rule is stupid (even though I don't live in the States), because here in Ireland, I can import a brand new Camaro from the US if I wish to. Grand, the emmission tax will be very high, but no one is stopping me from buying a car from the US.

Carlover325
  • Carlover325

Playa

• Members

Posted 16 August 2013 - 07:38 AM

I would feel bad for the person who imported it except that they switched the VIN, clearly showing they knew it was illegal.

I don't think there should be a ban on importing any vehicle. Instead, they should just require each imported vehicle to pass a safety test before they can be driven on the road.

Michaś
  • Michaś

No US for me in 2014... BLNT

• Members

Posted 16 August 2013 - 07:51 AM

Americans have a bit different laws in terms of "safety" like the constant audible seatbelt warning. It's compulsory here in new cars as well, but it doesn't come on until you start to drive in most cars anyway.
And then the orange sidemarkers that I like but can't see why they're there.

Carlover325
  • Carlover325

Playa

• Members

Posted 16 August 2013 - 08:05 AM

The funny thing is on my Jeep I accidentally broke the wire for the seatbelt sensor, but the dashboard seatbelt light only comes on for about 5 seconds at start-up before turning off. I won't see it again until the next time I start the Jeep. Not sure what the point of the wiring is if it's on such a short timer.

I could fix the wire, but what's the point? lol

epoxi
  • epoxi

Your Mother

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 17 August 2013 - 07:35 PM

I always thought the anti-import laws are market protectionism passed through senate with the label of 'safety' following the Japanese massacre of the US car industry (not that it did much to stop their success).

Moth
  • Moth

When life gives you lemons, nuke the planet.

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Canada

Posted 18 August 2013 - 05:22 AM

QUOTE (epoxi @ Saturday, Aug 17 2013, 14:35)
I always thought the anti-import laws are market protectionism passed through senate with the label of 'safety' following the Japanese massacre of the US car industry (not that it did much to stop their success).

No, it's more cause Mercedes Benz didn't like losing money. Before this law, people where buying European cars from Europe. As you probably know, Mercedes is a company that sells cars across the board, but here in North America they are consider a Luxury brand. Thus they cost a hell a lot more, and they don't sell low end cars here. MB lobby for it.

BCspeed34
  • BCspeed34

CEO

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 18 August 2013 - 05:47 AM

It's a shame the petition is so poorly written.

Ex Hellraiser
  • Ex Hellraiser

Legendary

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 August 2013 - 03:33 AM

Those sick, sick f*cking bastards. I hate America. They destroy everything beautiful. (I am American)

TheFrank
  • TheFrank

Class of '82

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 August 2013 - 06:10 AM

QUOTE (The General @ Sunday, Aug 18 2013, 01:22)
No, it's more cause Mercedes Benz didn't like losing money.

Because they wouldn't bring the 500SEL over.

epoxi
  • epoxi

Your Mother

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 26 August 2013 - 09:34 AM

@The General: Mercedes is certainly a luxury brand here too (or rather, a 'prestige' brand considering how expensively un-luxurious some of their models and base trims can be haha).

I think the imports would be simply because used Mercedes are so much cheaper in Europe, considering the higher running costs (higher taxes, petrol prices, prohibitive insurance prices) plus as TheFrank says, people wanted models that weren't available in the US.

It's a lose-lose for the consumer, and a damned shame this nonsense spills over to affect every other brand.

Jeone
  • Jeone

question authority

• Members
  • Palestine

Posted 02 November 2013 - 06:59 AM

I signed it already but if it doesn't get passed why don't we make a car we want (say a 63 vw beetle)
And use the base from a 03 beetle and just put the frame on it and flame it as custom

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Thou shalt not commit logical fallacies

• United-Kingdom
  • Contribution Award [D&D]
    Contribution Award [General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2013
    Best Debater 2012
    Best Debater 2011

Posted 02 November 2013 - 08:25 AM

Because then it wouldn't be a '63 Beetle?

That's like building a GT40 replica from a modern chassis base and telling everyone it's a GT40. It doesn't make it so.

BCspeed34
  • BCspeed34

CEO

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 02 November 2013 - 05:58 PM

Yeah I'm confused there. You wouldn't need to bypass a 25-year import law for a 50-year-old car.

BAF-stueycow
  • BAF-stueycow

'StueyCow'

• Members
  • England

Posted 08 November 2013 - 07:43 AM

Would it be possible to go on 'holiday' to the us as a uk citizen in a land rover and then sell the car and fly home? Will they stop you? Are they banned from coming to us at all even if it's just for a holiday?

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

• United-Kingdom
    Best Debater 2013
    Best Debater 2012
    Best Debater 2011

Posted 08 November 2013 - 08:13 AM

Would it be possible to go on 'holiday' to the us as a uk citizen in a land rover and then sell the car and fly home? Will they stop you? Are they banned from coming to us at all even if it's just for a holiday?

Given that it's perfectly legal to drive Canadian cars in the US I doubt they'd do anything to stop you. Selling it would be illegal though, and bringing it from the UK would be pretty infeasible.

WBaker
  • WBaker

Acatalepsis

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 08 November 2013 - 09:27 AM

Here's the glitch to get around that:

Call up Jimmy, best fedex man in Los Santos, and have him ship the car to you in a large unmarked crate!

Rinse and repeat.

If you like this, don't forget to plz sub my YouTube channel!

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

• United-Kingdom
    Best Debater 2013
    Best Debater 2012
    Best Debater 2011

Posted 08 November 2013 - 04:09 PM

I think I speak for the whole VC section when I say there's little in the world I care about less than your YouTube channel. It sits somewhere between what the Crown Prince of Norway had for breakfast and reality TV on my "guess how much of a sh*t I give" scale.

Best not to advertise it either.

WBaker
  • WBaker

Acatalepsis

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 09 November 2013 - 10:29 AM Edited by WBaker, 09 November 2013 - 10:33 AM.

I think I speak for the whole VC section when I say there's little in the world I care about less than your YouTube channel. It sits somewhere between what the Crown Prince of Norway had for breakfast and reality TV on my "guess how much of a sh*t I give" scale.

Best not to advertise it either.
My post was an attempt at humor.

You may notice there was no youtube channel link for anybody to even subscribe to.

Jimmy "the best fedex guy in Los Santos"?

Sting4S
  • Sting4S

♢ Corverra ♢

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 09 November 2013 - 04:09 PM

This is the dumbest sh*t I've seen. Why are they going to destroy a perfect Land Rover. f*cking America. :/

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users