Photo

Hilary - Useless.

26 replies to this topic
Mr.ClaudeFan
  • Mr.ClaudeFan

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 15 August 2013 - 02:13 AM

I'm hoping that this hasn't been brought up before, but I just wanted to tell everyone. So I was playing through Vice City for the millionth time a few days ago, and then I thought about something. Hilary King. You know him. The infamous Sabre Turbo driving prick with abandonment issues. I've noticed that you spend a lot of time trying to beat him in the race (I know I did), and then when you perform The Job, the only time he drives is when he goes around the block, and then at the end he gets killed by the S.W.A.T by whatever! At least to me, no bullets were fired and he just dropped dead for no reason. That was probably the biggest waste of a character. I feel like Rockstar could have done so much more with the character, but he just gets killed off.
  • Drunken Cowboy likes this

Vic 2.0
  • Vic 2.0

Rat

• Members

Posted 15 August 2013 - 03:13 AM

That's why I no longer pay the full price for him (try to beat the race without cheating - I keep a Stinger in the garage at the hideout you pass during the race and try to start with one at the starting line as well). May not be honest, but neither is letting me believe I got myself a full-time driver for the upcoming mission when I don't! wink.gif

But I have to admit it wasn't a total loss, watching him die... devil.gif

j7n
  • j7n

Buster

• Members

Posted 15 August 2013 - 04:03 AM

I wish the game could have entered a shooting mode as happened in San Andreas, where the player would have to destroy a finite number of following cop cars with a gun in first person mode, with Hillary presumed to be driving even if he isn't seen anymore. He would drive 'flawlessly' because the trip would be scripted.

The current ending of the mission isn't as spectacular as I'd expect. If I remember correctly, it was possible to go and lose the wanted level, come back and collect the remaining NPC, and take him to his hideout without any police.

Watching any NPC die is often a relief, because all they usually do is get in the way.
  • Th3MaN1 likes this

JustinGunnar
  • JustinGunnar

Claudette Speed

• Members

Posted 15 August 2013 - 08:07 AM

That pisses me off every single time it comes to the bank robbery mission. You do so much to get this Bozo and he does nothing but whine and die. He doesn't even drive you to the bank! You do all of the hard work regardless of the help you pick up lol.
  • Jeansowaty and Cakelover21 like this

nightwalker83
  • nightwalker83

Don't mind me

• Members

Posted 15 August 2013 - 10:43 AM

QUOTE (JustinGunnar @ Thursday, Aug 15 2013, 18:37)
That pisses me off every single time it comes to the bank robbery mission. You do so much to get this Bozo and he does nothing but whine and die. He doesn't even drive you to the bank! You do all of the hard work regardless of the help you pick up lol.

I think the point is you need to be good enough to get Hilary's car.

JustinGunnar
  • JustinGunnar

Claudette Speed

• Members

Posted 15 August 2013 - 12:03 PM

QUOTE (nightwalker83 @ Thursday, Aug 15 2013, 10:43)
QUOTE (JustinGunnar @ Thursday, Aug 15 2013, 18:37)

I don't think its possible to get Hilary's actual car in the game, but I haven't played in awhile.

If I remember correctly the point of the mission is to prove to Hilary you can beat him in a drag race so that he'll agree to be the getaway driver in the heist. But he never drives for you at all. Once you get everyone rounded up, You have to drive the gang to the bank and you end up having to drive them away from the bank in a police pursuit. Hilary does absolutely nothing. I hate him.

I just think the least he could've done was drive you there from the Malibu club! Lol.

Vic 2.0
  • Vic 2.0

Rat

• Members

Posted 15 August 2013 - 12:23 PM

QUOTE (JustinGunnar @ Thursday, Aug 15 2013, 12:03)

I don't think its possible to get Hilary's actual car in the game, but I haven't played in awhile.

If I remember correctly the point of the mission is to prove to Hilary you can beat him in a drag race so that he'll agree to be the getaway driver in the heist.

Correct. More specifically, he wants to know you won't "abandon" him by falling behind. In his pathetic little mind, he can only trust you if you're right there next to him at the end of the race, no matter what car you're forced to drive! That was my only real problem with that mission: they try and force you to drive a friggin' Sentinel while he gets one of the fastest cars in the game! That's why I always cheat by using another car, whether sooner or later in the race.

Yeah, at least having him drive you to the bank would've been nice.

JustinGunnar
  • JustinGunnar

Claudette Speed

• Members

Posted 15 August 2013 - 12:50 PM

QUOTE (Vic 2.0 @ Thursday, Aug 15 2013, 12:23)
QUOTE (JustinGunnar @ Thursday, Aug 15 2013, 12:03)

If I remember correctly the point of the mission is to prove to Hilary you can beat him in a drag race so that he'll agree to be the getaway driver in the heist.

Correct. More specifically, he wants to know you won't "abandon" him by falling behind. In his pathetic little mind, he can only trust you if you're right there next to him at the end of the race, no matter what car you're forced to drive! That was my only real problem with that mission: they try and force you to drive a friggin' Sentinel while he gets one of the fastest cars in the game! That's why I always cheat by using another car, whether sooner or later in the race.

Yeah, at least having him drive you to the bank would've been nice.

I've never been able to do that! My alternate car would always disappear after the cut scene. I'd try snatching a passing Banshee or whatever, but the time it took me to steal and switch is too much to catch up. I'd always have to beat him in the Sentinnel.

But who knows I'm a much better driver at these games than I used to be, so maybe it would be no problem either. way. I should start playing it again to find out. It'd be awesome to cheat through that mission since it's so bogus.

Nukey Shay
  • Nukey Shay

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 18 August 2013 - 01:26 AM

A sure-fire way is to park a PCJ on the clothing icon outside Raphael's, then go on foot over to Malibu (run toward the camera with the PCJ visible behind you).

Bike morphing + no wanted level FTW smile.gif

In any case, beating Hillary with the scripted vehicle is not too difficult. He gets quicker acceleration, but is really terrible navigating around traffic. Just don't pass him until the end of the race (take the shortcut across the grass with the bribe).

FlyeThemoon
  • FlyeThemoon

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 18 August 2013 - 04:58 PM

I had another idea smile.gif can be tricky, but maybe worth try.

When police are informed about race, just run over peds or shoot them from drive by to gain another star, and then police start using spike strips, so try become close to Hiliary and maybe police drops spikestrip on him tounge.gif instead you.

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

Whoop some ass!

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 August 2013 - 04:43 PM

Clinton is easy to beat, did it in my first try (don't know how many tries it took me years ago when I was a kid tho xp)

But I agree, he's one useless bitch sad.gif

Vic 2.0
  • Vic 2.0

Rat

• Members

Posted 22 August 2013 - 03:22 AM

QUOTE (DarkKingBernard @ Wednesday, Aug 21 2013, 16:43)
Clinton is easy to beat, did it in my first try (don't know how many tries it took me years ago when I was a kid tho xp)

Ermm, the last name of the Hilary in question is King... not Clinton... dontgetit.gif

nightwalker83
  • nightwalker83

Don't mind me

• Members

Posted 22 August 2013 - 07:53 AM

QUOTE (Vic 2.0 @ Thursday, Aug 22 2013, 13:52)
QUOTE (DarkKingBernard @ Wednesday, Aug 21 2013, 16:43)

Ermm, the last name of the Hilary in question is King... not Clinton... dontgetit.gif

That was a reference to Hilary Clinton! Although, I don't know how well known she would have been in the 80s?

AustinN
  • AustinN

Snitch

• Members

Posted 06 January 2014 - 07:31 PM

Yes, it's all very annoying.

But there's another thing I saw pointed out. Phil says Hilary won't work for anyone who can't beat him. But if that's the case, then how did he get such a reputation as a good driver? Everybody would be either unable to hire him or would be better than him.

xNCx
  • xNCx

formerly known as krasiejow

• Members

Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:41 PM Edited by xNCx, 07 January 2014 - 07:42 PM.

Hillary was a weird guy with problems, but please notice that even if he was a coward, he tried to cover his friends, while an army of swat guys was there. And as he was a professional driver, I doubt he could handle a gun like Tommy or Phil. One word - sacrifice.

@AustinN this whole story that he will work for you if you beat him in a race is pointless. Why do you need someone, who drives worse than you ;)? I guess he had a reputation for being a good driver, because he simply won many races (organized by Sunshine Autos?). Doing dirty work could have been only a side job.

Vic 2.0
  • Vic 2.0

Rat

• Members

Posted 08 January 2014 - 01:36 AM

@AustinN this whole story that he will work for you if you beat him in a race is pointless. Why do you need someone, who drives worse than you ;)?

I think we're supposed to figure that, in his warped mind, you're not proving your driving skill so much as a willingness to break your neck to stick with him.  Remember he has abandonment issues, so he needs to know you'll be by his side no matter what goes wrong.  And, well, I guess you have to win the race because he needs to see you in front of him before he can really feel safe.

...or some crap.

drr26
  • drr26

"he don't talk too much"

• Members
  • England

Posted 11 February 2014 - 10:25 PM

The trick to beating him with another car other than the Sentinal was to park a supercar next to the bridge where the easy peasy Unique Jump is, then you are still technically on the course.

But it's all in vain, beating him either way as yes, he's f*cking useless in that robbery mission. 

Hodgey.
  • Hodgey.

GTA III, VC, SA, LCS, VCS, IV, TLAD, TBoGT and V all 100%

• Members
  • England

Posted 12 February 2014 - 01:25 AM

The trick to beating him with another car other than the Sentinal was to park a supercar next to the bridge where the easy peasy Unique Jump is, then you are still technically on the course.

But it's all in vain, beating him either way as yes, he's f*cking useless in that robbery mission. 

That is what I did the very first time I played through GTA VC and it still took me quite a few attempts to beat him. I think when R* put that mission in the game they where laughing to themselves as they must of known it would of taken a few of us quite some time to beat him only for him to die. :lol:

drr26
  • drr26

"he don't talk too much"

• Members
  • England

Posted 12 February 2014 - 01:29 PM

That is what I did the very first time I played through GTA VC and it still took me quite a few attempts to beat him. I think when R* put that mission in the game they where laughing to themselves as they must of known it would of taken a few of us quite some time to beat him only for him to die. :lol:

Yeah they must have done. They have a sense of humour after all. 

Even with the poor standard of AI in races in the 3D era I'm still gunna use this trick later today :-P

Hodgey.
  • Hodgey.

GTA III, VC, SA, LCS, VCS, IV, TLAD, TBoGT and V all 100%

• Members
  • England

Posted 12 February 2014 - 01:37 PM

Yeah they must have done. They have a sense of humour after all. 

Even with the poor standard of AI in races in the 3D era I'm still gunna use this trick later today :-P

I personally found that when I played it years later (first time I played it I was 12, now im talking about when I was 18 or so) that if you just use the default car and you memorise the course, it really only took me a couple of attempts and was no where as difficult as I remembered.

Dope_0110
  • Dope_0110

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 14 February 2014 - 02:35 PM

I had problems with that mission when I was playing VC for the first time.. but I was 12 back then so.. nowdays I beat him easily in first attempt and default car so it's no hassle. Though it is stupid that he never actually does anything in that mission. I guess they wanted at least one character to have a certain death in that mission so they chose him.

As someone above suggested it would have been much better if they had made that into one of those scripted first person shooting sequences where we take out police cars.

im_stoned
  • im_stoned

Trick

• Members

Posted 14 February 2014 - 02:42 PM Edited by im_stoned, 14 February 2014 - 02:43 PM.

His very useful. His my Plan A) The plans pretty straight forward He picks the crew up after we rob the bank. Plan B) I stash a car at the back of the bank before the mission begins. Theirs like a warehouse or something with access to the back of the bank. Then theirs a alleyway of sorts between the bank and the neighbouring property. I always stash a getaway car their. It's Vital i have a plan B i'm robbing a bank for f*cks sake. You can't just have one plan.

I didn't have a plan B the first time i played throw vice city obviously but I've used this technique every time since. I wonder how many other players do this ?

Cakelover21
  • Cakelover21

Unique Vehicle Collector

• Members
  • Estonia

Posted 10 March 2014 - 09:25 PM Edited by Cakelover21, 10 March 2014 - 09:25 PM.

I remember still being a noob and doing the mission with my big bro we sucked but later we just spawned a hotring and beat his ass! Oooh the good old days...just thinking about it...cant i just travel back in time? :p Real life needs save games lol.

lol232
  • lol232

The Harwood Butcher

• Members
  • Serbia

Posted 15 March 2014 - 01:09 PM

I agree, he was pretty useless, the race was pretty pointless despite the fact that we didn't know it's gonna happen.
The race was easy, though.

markusizr
  • markusizr

:D

• Members

Posted 3 weeks ago

he should help tommy and his team on bank not drive a city

iEdwin
  • iEdwin

BIG COJONES!

• Members
  • Puerto-Rico

Posted 3 weeks ago

I remember the first time I beat him I was so happy and then when he got killed I was like "...Wow"

So yeah, pretty pointless waste of a character.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Leben Heißt leben

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • United-States

Posted 3 weeks ago

I remember when I was much younger, the mission where you had to race him was hard as sh*t. Along with the mission where you had to win that shooting competition against Phil. Cam's was kinda easy, but lordy damn, just those two missions.

THOSE TWO MISSIONS.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users