Quantcast

» «
Photo

What's the point in getting a Next gen console?

37 replies to this topic
gpcguy1
  • gpcguy1

Soldier

• Members

Posted 14 August 2013 - 08:48 PM

I mean is there really a point in getting a PS4/X1 this early?
There are no interesting games for them, just a bunch of sh*tty fps(bf4,cod,titanfall) and exclusives.

Mcquiz
  • Mcquiz

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • Estonia

Posted 14 August 2013 - 08:53 PM

How dare you call BF4 sh*tty. Battlefield is the only FPS series that actually evolves.

MWC
  • MWC

Hustler

• Members

Posted 14 August 2013 - 08:55 PM

QUOTE (top gear @ Wednesday, Aug 14 2013, 21:53)
How dare you call BF4 sh*tty. Battlefield is the only FPS series that actually devolves.

there u mistyped, lemme fix that for you

gpcguy1
  • gpcguy1

Soldier

• Members

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:06 PM

QUOTE (MWC @ Wednesday, Aug 14 2013, 20:55)
How dare you call BF4 sh*tty. Battlefield is the only FPS series that actually devolves.

This
Dumbing down the game for casuals is not evolving.

theomenofficial
  • theomenofficial

I'm back as a changed man.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:09 PM

I'm not getting a next gen console.
I guess the benefit is that it's 350 compared to the PS3's 500 (I think)

JOSEPH X
  • JOSEPH X

Boss

• Members

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:45 PM

Just play GTA V until they've built up a catalogue of decent games. It'll be well into next year if you plan to get the most out of GTA, and by that time Destiny and The Division will be out. Those games are full-on next gen games with all the bells and whistles, not cross gen ports.

gpcguy1
  • gpcguy1

Soldier

• Members

Posted 15 August 2013 - 12:57 AM

QUOTE (JOSEPH X @ Wednesday, Aug 14 2013, 22:45)
Just play GTA V until they've built up a catalogue of decent games. It'll be well into next year if you plan to get the most out of GTA, and by that time Destiny and The Division will be out. Those games are full-on next gen games with all the bells and whistles, not cross gen ports.

I usually play GTA games for 2+ years. Will probably get a PS4 when the next GTA comes out. And I don't know what Destiny is. Buying a PS4 for Division is not worth it imo.

The Killa
  • The Killa

Diet Water Please

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 15 August 2013 - 01:13 AM

QUOTE (gpcguy1 @ Wednesday, Aug 14 2013, 14:48)
I mean is there really a point in getting a PS4/X1 this early?

Absolutely none.

You shouldn't buy a next gen console unless they release games that really pique your interest. So far, for me personally at least, there's f*ck all that looks the slightest bit attractive to me.

Kind of the same story with my PC. I'm not upgrading unless I really, really need to. I still run games fine, so what's the point?

GTA V will keep me occupied for some time, anyway.

bikerman3
  • bikerman3

Homie

• Members

Posted 15 August 2013 - 01:14 AM

myself personally am not going to wast money on next gen but going to pc

redx165
  • redx165

Making the GTA fanboys dance

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 15 August 2013 - 01:16 AM

Well I'm not making the same mistake I did with the PS3. I bought the PS3 in its middle of its life cycle. About 2009 and they had decent games. I bought PS1 and PS2 at the start of its life. I feel I enjoy the console more if I had it since they released it.

I enjoy the PS3 but I feel PS2 and PS1 era were a better gaming era.

Daz
  • Daz

Pirandello/Kruger

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 15 August 2013 - 06:51 AM Edited by Daz, 15 August 2013 - 06:55 AM.

QUOTE (gpcguy1 @ Wednesday, Aug 14 2013, 21:06)

This

I think you are talking about Call of Duty, not Battlefield.

Battlefield 3 (Multiplayer) actually offers something that no other MP shooter does (On consoles) and we can finally get 64 players in a battlefield game on PS/Xbox.

Don't get me wrong, the singleplayer may as well just been a shoe box with a turd in it, but if you bought BF3 for the SP then you are an idiot. There were also bullsh*t mp f*ckups like suppression and latency issues that Bad Company 2 didn't have. But it is still better than anything else out there.

Besides, there is a distinct difference between the sh*tty tech we have at the moment and what a very basic PC with a $100 gfx card can do with the same game. It looks miles better but not only that. We won't ever have to suffer through bullsh*t loading times like we do on consoles with Skyrim/Fallout.

If you game alot, there of course is a reason to get a next gen console and getting the full potential out of your games this fall.

However if you barely play bugger all then sure, there is no point. But why should we give a sh*t that you don't need one? This is gaming chat.

And based off your username, I would say there is nothing wrong with a baseline PC to play any of this stuff. So stick with that if you don't give a f*ck.

gpcguy1
  • gpcguy1

Soldier

• Members

Posted 15 August 2013 - 07:47 AM

QUOTE (Daz @ Thursday, Aug 15 2013, 06:51)
QUOTE (gpcguy1 @ Wednesday, Aug 14 2013, 21:06)

This

I think you are talking about Call of Duty, not Battlefield.

Battlefield 3 (Multiplayer) actually offers something that no other MP shooter does (On consoles) and we can finally get 64 players in a battlefield game on PS/Xbox.

Don't get me wrong, the singleplayer may as well just been a shoe box with a turd in it, but if you bought BF3 for the SP then you are an idiot. There were also bullsh*t mp f*ckups like suppression and latency issues that Bad Company 2 didn't have. But it is still better than anything else out there.

Besides, there is a distinct difference between the sh*tty tech we have at the moment and what a very basic PC with a $100 gfx card can do with the same game. It looks miles better but not only that. We won't ever have to suffer through bullsh*t loading times like we do on consoles with Skyrim/Fallout.

If you game alot, there of course is a reason to get a next gen console and getting the full potential out of your games this fall.

However if you barely play bugger all then sure, there is no point. But why should we give a sh*t that you don't need one? This is gaming chat.

And based off your username, I would say there is nothing wrong with a baseline PC to play any of this stuff. So stick with that if you don't give a f*ck.

Battlefield 3 introduced many casual-friendly features that was seen in Call of Duty.
I do care about next gen consoles I just don't see the point when you could get the same games on current gen.

Johan
  • Johan

• The Yardies
  • Dominican-Republic

Posted 15 August 2013 - 07:51 AM

QUOTE (MWC @ Wednesday, Aug 14 2013, 16:55)

I second this fix.

I don't see the point of it too OP, I was considering getting it day one but the more I see these games ALSO releasing on current gen still I decided to just hold off at least until January the earliest.

I do love the launch title games but it's not worth spending all that money right away which could be used on games like Beyond Two Souls, Batman Arkham Origins and such.

Android
  • Android

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 15 August 2013 - 08:00 AM

People just want a jump start I guess... they're not going to miss anything. Most games coming out after September will be on Current and Next gen, I don't know why everyone is jumping to the next console so soon..

I'm staying on Xbox 360 until June. I may buy my friends PS3 off him, and play The Last of Us and pick up some more games before that, though.

Typhus
  • Typhus

OG

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 15 August 2013 - 08:11 AM

I will get a new console when I see evidence that the next generation will not be full of sh*tty FPS games...OH, WAIT!
I'm just sick of them, I want that whole genre to die or go out of style, I just want the games industry to focus more on adventure titles, maybe even beat 'em ups, anything but this constant barrage of sci-fi FPS titles that are completely interchangeable.

DeafMetal
  • DeafMetal

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 15 August 2013 - 08:40 AM

Bought my ps1 at launch in my country... only played some sh*tty licensed pirated games like The Grinch. Had to wait some time for good games. Bought the ps3 on launch day... was stuck with Resistance (severely overrated) for months and spent most of my time on my ps2. Got my ps2 about two years after it released and holy f*ck, it was awesome from start to finish.

I'm waiting at LEAST until mid next year to buy the ps4 unless I have extra money leftover (which I won't). I'll buy the Wii U probably late next year and the Xbone whenever it drops to a more reasonable price (I'll delay my purchase like MS delayed releasing an actual gaming console instead of a giant middle finger).

YukiEiri
  • YukiEiri

l33t nekkid skillz...

• Members

Posted 15 August 2013 - 09:40 AM

I'll be grabbing PS4 on December because I need something to waste part of my tax returns..
Otherwise .. I don't know.. There's nothing for PS4 that I'm interested about.

GTA V and GT6 are coming for PS3.
Erm..

Umm ...

Don't even know any other coming games that I'd be interested about.. o_O

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 15 August 2013 - 09:41 AM

I don't see a point in getting console at launch. Early models are overpriced, faulty and lack games which can be called system sellers. I will gladly wait year, maybe even more for game worth buying next gen for (at this gen it was GTA IV) and buy it then. Most faults will be fixed and older games from launch time will be cheap enough.

Somebody had to buy them at the launch, but I'm not one of these people.

theomenofficial
  • theomenofficial

I'm back as a changed man.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 15 August 2013 - 09:43 AM

QUOTE (Antagonista @ Thursday, Aug 15 2013, 09:00)
I may buy my friends PS3 off him, and play The Last of Us

You previously posted on a thread that The Last of Us was sh*tty, horrible and overrated, why would you want to play it? sigh.gif

On Topic: Don't buy a next gen console.

Daz
  • Daz

Pirandello/Kruger

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 15 August 2013 - 09:45 AM

QUOTE (gpcguy1 @ Thursday, Aug 15 2013, 07:47)
Battlefield 3 introduced many casual-friendly features that was seen in Call of Duty.
I do care about next gen consoles I just don't see the point when you could get the same games on current gen.

Every game and piece of mainstream media is this way right now and it sucks. Everything is made for the common idiot that can't tell the difference between a good game and the same 8 year old reskinned piece of sh*te.

Battlefield 3 was purposely trying to go after some of the call of duty revenue. It showed. But mostly in the singleplayer department. Then again, This has been the first "Battlefield" title to include a singleplayer. In BF4 they aim to do a lot better.

However it still is the same old quicktime event sh*te that I hate and it is included in almost every game so battlefield should NEVER be grouped with call of duty in terms of sh*te. Cod is the worst for creating all this. BF3 is just another mainstream game.

Besides, it does it's multiplayer well, and if you can't see that, then you wouldn't know a good game if it punched you in the knob.

It has it's flaws, and Bad Company 2 was a lot better and more fun to play, but it still has great gameplay online.

And the reason to get a new console is because of the following:

Less load times
Better visuals
Better framerate
Better Resolution
64 players online
No more multiple disc games
Day 1 downloads

Look at the previous gen, whenever a game is made for both the previous games severely suffer and look god damn awful compared.

For me the only next gen titles on launch I want are BF4 and Watch Dogs. So if you arent interested in those, wait and get a console later.

But there IS a difference between BF4 on current gen, and next gen. There is no point grasping to a dead system. The sooner you move on the less hastle it will be later. Unless you are poor.

YukiEiri
  • YukiEiri

l33t nekkid skillz...

• Members

Posted 15 August 2013 - 09:47 AM

QUOTE (Tycek @ Thursday, Aug 15 2013, 09:41)
I don't see a point in getting console at launch. Early models are overpriced, faulty and lack games which can be called system sellers. I will gladly wait year, maybe even more for game worth buying next gen for (at this gen it was GTA IV) and buy it then. Most faults will be fixed and older games from launch time will be cheap enough.

Faulty? No, no, no.. There are many, many, many working fat PS3's out there that work just fine.
Overpriced? Well, 425 is not that much (for me).

Yeah, no games. But it (PS4) will look good sitting on the opposite side of my TV from my PS3. smile.gif

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 15 August 2013 - 10:00 AM

QUOTE (YukiEiri @ Thursday, Aug 15 2013, 11:47)
QUOTE (Tycek @ Thursday, Aug 15 2013, 09:41)

Faulty? No, no, no.. There are many, many, many working fat PS3's out there that work just fine.
Overpriced? Well, 425 is not that much (for me).

Yeah, no games. But it (PS4) will look good sitting on the opposite side of my TV from my PS3. smile.gif

1. Yes, faulty. Many Xboxes and many PS3 were broken, because of overheating and other faults that could be simply fixed. My PS3 fat lasted 9 months, slim is working till these days.

2. Yes, overpriced as for that amount of money, you getting nothing in return as there are no games. You want to pay 400 euros for console you don't have games to play on? After the premiere they're usually making some bundles for the same price. I got my PS3 for around 400, but I got Uncharted, Ratchet and Clank, Medal of Honor and some fourth game.

I still got many games to play on current gen and GTA V will give me fun until 2023, so I simply don't see a point.

Lazyboy.
  • Lazyboy.

could you PLEASE stop using that f*cking blue font?!

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 15 August 2013 - 10:23 AM

The PS3 launch was kinda cool, I enjoyed the f*ck out of Motorstorm multiplayer when it was active. Burnout Paradise's golden days were near launch, too.

The only two games on next-gen that look good are The Crew and The Division. WATCH_DOGS looks okay, they revealed it far too early, and the more I know about it, the less I like it.

SFPD officer
  • SFPD officer

What do I look like I'm made of? Pudding?

• Members
  • Czech-Republic

Posted 15 August 2013 - 10:48 AM

QUOTE (Daz @ Thursday, Aug 15 2013, 09:45)
Every game and piece of mainstream media is this way right now and it sucks. Everything is made for the common idiot that can't tell the difference between a good game and the same 8 year old reskinned piece of sh*te.

(...)

This is pretty much just technical bells and whistles. I can live with longer loading times and worse resolution. Why should I waste hundreds of dollars on a new console, just so games I could be playing on my 360, will have better looking vegetation?

Buying a next gen console on launch isn't really smart. First true next gen titles, that really pushed the capabilities of PS3 and 360 and really couldn't be done on older consoles came in late 2007 and 2008. And we still don't know how will the consoles turn out anyway. Who knows, you might buy PS4 on launch and then find out a year down the line that X1 would fit you better. Not to mention cheaper bundles/slim versions of consoles.

Daz
  • Daz

Pirandello/Kruger

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 15 August 2013 - 11:16 AM

All I am hearing is "I am too poor to upgrade".

I don't see the point in buying more games on current gen if they could possibly be much better on next gen consoles, especially due to the fact you are going to HAVE TO upgrade sooner or later. It is not like this is all there is ever going to be. I need a new console for MGS5, Mirrors Edge 2 and SW Battlefront. Also the strong possibility of DayZ on PS4.

I would much rather experience these new releases with expanded features and power.

After waiting 15 minutes on some loading screens in skyrim, then playing it on the pc and having it take less than a second.

That to me is something worth paying easily 349 for.

The bottom line is, if you don't see the advantages, or don't like any of the games, then just don't f*cking buy a new console and stop bitching about it.

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 15 August 2013 - 12:04 PM

So anyone who isn't getting next gen console on the launch day is poor and everyone who is not buying PS4 is insane? Fanboyism at its best. Do yourself a favor and go outside for some refreshment.

Daz
  • Daz

Pirandello/Kruger

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 15 August 2013 - 12:33 PM

QUOTE (Tycek @ Thursday, Aug 15 2013, 12:04)
So anyone who isn't getting next gen console on the launch day is poor and everyone who is not buying PS4 is insane? Fanboyism at its best. Do yourself a favor and go outside for some refreshment.

Did you even read my posts? I think you need your brain checked.

I am not suggesting one console over another, I am giving an example. I am not saying that people who don't buy next gen consoles on launch are stupid.

What I am saying is that if there are games being released for current and next gen, why not upgrade now, get it over and done with, because you will be doing it anyway. That way you have a better catalogue of games for the next generation, instead of having to pull out the 360 from the cupboard just to play games you could own on PS4/X1.

Sure there is no reason to do it now if there isn't anything interesting you want from it in terms of features or games.

But I have no explanation for someone not wanting to buy their games on the new hardware except for the fact they may not be able to afford it.

GTAV will be the last game I buy on current gen consoles, everything after will be on next gen. I do want BF4 on release but current gen consoles don't support 64 players online, where as the new consoles do. And that is what changes the entire experience of the multiplayer, no game has ever gotten close to being as good as Battlefield 2 and that was out 2005.

If you want to put up with the tech you have now, sure go ahead, they will be supporting current gen consoles for a while. But honestly why bother.

The sooner you start buying games for next gen consoles the larger and better your game library will be and you will be able to play them with your friends instead of loners still clutching to an old system 5 years down the line.

acmilano
  • acmilano

Soldier

• Members

Posted 15 August 2013 - 06:22 PM

I bought PS3 GTA IV bundle in june 2008. I did later purchase few pre 2008 games later but i was good for that period. I was planning this time to wait for PS4 slim and price drops,considering that i still have a bunch of PS3/360 games that i didn't even touch jet.

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 15 August 2013 - 06:26 PM Edited by Tycek, 15 August 2013 - 06:49 PM.

I am not suggesting one console over another

If you want to be a sane person, buy a PS4.

And who wrote that?

Fact is, you just got peer pressure to get the next gen and now you're trying to justify it by the reasons that you can play games without getting them out of the drawer or by fact that more people will be playing them.

Sure, moving to next gen is inevitable, but not everybody has to do it on launch day. And you're acting like there are two options, getting it then or never. I'll wait and see, which console fits me more and buy this one. I'm not going to shove my opinion or my choice into people's eyes and I'm not going to attack other people, because they're not getting it now or then.

Fireman
  • Fireman

Cunning Stunter

• Members

Posted 15 August 2013 - 08:15 PM

Doesn't take away that it's a stupid question Tycek, we all know why someone should buy a next gen console.

It's the same reason why you'd buy anything new, it's better

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users