Who liked DRIV3R?

45 replies to this topic
Luna Lovegood
  • Luna Lovegood

You're just sane as i am

• Members
  • Indonesia

Posted 14 August 2013 - 03:10 AM

this game had potential, the only terrible thing is controls and mechanic. Yes, the game difficulty is f*ck-frustating but it was satisfying if you succesfully finished the mission (back in 2002 i know nothing about games lol, this is one of first video game i played)

DarrinPA
  • DarrinPA

Orange Grove Member

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 August 2013 - 04:26 AM

QUOTE (darkdude @ Tuesday, Aug 13 2013, 22:10)
Yes, the game difficulty is f*ck-frustating but it was satisfying if you succesfully finished the mission

I'm glad you enjoy the payoff that comes with completing the difficult missions. For me, that's what Driver has been all about. You need to be perfect when it comes to skill AND luck needs to be on your side, only with the proper combination will you be successful.

Driv3r is one of my favorite games of all time. The driving is fun, the guns were a nice addition, the locations were enjoyable as usual. I didn't see the need for the low scores it was given. Some people complain about things like graphics, but for the time it had the longest draw distance I had ever seen.

I could have sworn that the dance club was used in a mission...
  • Mister Pink likes this

TheOtherRyan
  • TheOtherRyan

Soviet Connection

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 14 August 2013 - 05:03 AM

If I'm not mistaken it's the most recent open world game with a modern depiction of Miami.

I actually didn't mind it to be honest. The controls were a bit weird, but still a good game IMO.
  • matajuegos01 likes this

John The Grudge
  • John The Grudge

Gangsta

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:07 AM

QUOTE (darkdude @ Wednesday, Aug 14 2013, 03:10)
this game had potential, the only terrible thing is controls and mechanic. Yes, the game difficulty is f*ck-frustating but it was satisfying if you succesfully finished the mission (back in 2002 i know nothing about games lol, this is one of first video game i played)

I thought the vehicle physics were excellent. Though the motorcycles hand poor handling and it was clunky on foot.

da_KING
  • da_KING

Mentor

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 August 2013 - 04:49 PM

QUOTE (John The Grudge @ Wednesday, Aug 14 2013, 09:07)
QUOTE (darkdude @ Wednesday, Aug 14 2013, 03:10)

I thought the vehicle physics were excellent. Though the motorcycles hand poor handling and it was clunky on foot.

To me, all driving mehanics were great, I just wish that speed was more realistic. I remnber a mission where you had drive above 80 kph, because if you go under that speed, your car will explode. That car was Jaguar E-Type and I reached the top speed of 140 kph, but for real, the speed had to be much higher.

ClaudeSpeed1911
  • ClaudeSpeed1911

J.E.C.

• Members
  • Palestine

Posted 14 August 2013 - 04:55 PM

This game was pretty good, the only thing that ruin it was the bugs.

CrazyNinjaAssassin97
  • CrazyNinjaAssassin97

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 August 2013 - 04:28 PM

I liked it but I was a big fan of the Driver series smile.gif But the one that disappointed me was that the missions involved more shooting than driving and with such great driving handling in that game I was disappointed that you didn't get to experience it much in Undercover Mode.

jamieleng
  • jamieleng

Chafing the Chimp is totally natural behaviour!

• Members
  • England

Posted 19 August 2013 - 05:12 PM

Visually it was very impressive for its time. As others have said, the maps were quite well done, there were some with really twisting/winding roads. The car models were also pretty good, like dedicated racing game good. The on foot sections were a bit poor & the overall world felt a bit sterile.

If GTA hadn't existed back then, it might have been received a lot better.

I never got to play Driver 2, but I own a copy for PS1. I saw a mint copy in a charity shop, going for 1.50. Don't ask me why I bought it, because I don't own a PS1 or PS2 anymore.

Ash_735
  • Ash_735

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Mods]
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA] 2013
    Best Map 2013 "ViceCityStories PC Edition"

Posted 19 August 2013 - 06:31 PM

The Miami Map was very detailed, but rushed before they could make use of it, as already pointed out there was a night club, but even bryond the barriers, there was a small suburban distriict and houses which were detailed, just blocked off, they could have pushed the walls back a bit further if some of the left side area was done!

NYC PATROL
  • NYC PATROL

"Patrolling and Observing Forums Since 2005"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 19 August 2013 - 07:31 PM

The Driver series was one of me and my bro's fav. games growing up. I have to admit however I haven't
played Driver 3 or Parallel lines. I want to purchase them one day to try them out though.

Kiffster
  • Kiffster

• Zaibatsu
  • South-Africa

Posted 19 August 2013 - 08:31 PM

I loved the Driver series, and Driv3r was pretty good, even though it was extremely frustrating. I've played all the Driver games except for the San Francisco one. Mainly because I've lost interest in the series after Parallel Lines, which was pretty bad imo.

lazy.
  • lazy.

could you PLEASE stop using that f*cking blue font?!

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 19 August 2013 - 09:59 PM

QUOTE (Werebot85 @ Monday, Aug 19 2013, 20:31)
I loved the Driver series, and Driv3r was pretty good, even though it was extremely frustrating. I've played all the Driver games except for the San Francisco one. Mainly because I've lost interest in the series after Parallel Lines, which was pretty bad imo.

How is Parallel Lines bad? I've seen gameplay on YouTube and honestly it looks better than Driv3r. It has a proper soundtrack, more vehicles, vehicle ownership and looks a lot less rushed.

Cyper
  • Cyper

Liberty City Lover Since 2001

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 August 2013 - 10:16 PM Edited by Cyper, 19 August 2013 - 10:19 PM.

The game was extremely unpolished...It felt like an Alpha version.

Truth is, that I enjoyed it very much.

The story was great, cutscenes were outright amazing and were waaay better than in any other game at the time, the music fit into the atmosphere perfectly, maps were great even though they were not polished, driving was extremely fun and the vehicle physics was much better than in most freeroaming games, car chases was really awesome..

Imagine Driver 3 as a polished, next generation game.

It's a shame that they didn't stick to the Driver 3 formula. Some may argue that its to much like GTA, but in my opinion, it was not.

They could have developed it as a racing-cop-stealth game or something like that.

MEMORIES:

Menu Music

The amazing intro - in HD. Remember those cutscenes was for PS2.

THIS IS MY DESTINY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlMeuXKZu3Y

Stormingz
  • Stormingz

Menace to society.

• Members

Posted 19 August 2013 - 10:47 PM

Yeah DRIV3R was my favourite one.

Ash_735
  • Ash_735

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Mods]
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA] 2013
    Best Map 2013 "ViceCityStories PC Edition"

Posted 20 August 2013 - 03:17 AM

QUOTE (LazyboyEight @ Monday, Aug 19 2013, 22:59)
QUOTE (Werebot85 @ Monday, Aug 19 2013, 20:31)

How is Parallel Lines bad? I've seen gameplay on YouTube and honestly it looks better than Driv3r. It has a proper soundtrack, more vehicles, vehicle ownership and looks a lot less rushed.

Basically, it's a GTA clone, Open World, controls changed to GTA style, having to drive to mission givers, etc, ability to do missions in any order, stunt jumps on map, etc. It ditched the replay feature! It was the turning point when it became less Driver and more GTA, which, in this case, was a bad thing, which is why I consider Driv3r the last true Driver game, as it was linear, joined together with the story, had it's own UI design (PL also switched to a GTA style circle radar, etc), whilst still keeping the free roam mode and directors mode to make awesome stunt videos and chase videos.

da_KING
  • da_KING

Mentor

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 August 2013 - 03:42 PM

Good to know that there are Driv3r fans who plays GTA also. You guys made
me really happy smile.gif .

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users