Photo

Who liked DRIV3R?

45 replies to this topic
Maurice Del Taco
  • Maurice Del Taco

Tekken

• Members

Posted 12 August 2013 - 09:21 AM

Maybe it was rated as worst game of 2005 and maybe many ratings are below 5/10, but hey, it was still a good game and I want you to write here why you liked it!

I like driving and crashing physics and also those hilarious glitched on PS2 version (didn't played PC version)! All three cities were really nicely made and, if you have talent, you can made awesome movies in film director (just like in GTA 4 PC).

Lets hear your opinion, shall we? biggrin.gif

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 12 August 2013 - 09:35 AM

I like it, it was good game. The only thing that was throwing me off was the difficulty level, due to which I've never finished it (damned chase after Calita). Other than than, worth playing.

Quackerz Gamerz
  • Quackerz Gamerz

Radio Ga Ga!

• Members

Posted 12 August 2013 - 09:40 AM

I enjoyed it for the most part, although I don't think I ever completed the story, I just ran around shooting stuff. smile.gif

Killerdude8
  • Killerdude8

And Remember, Respect is Everything!

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 12 August 2013 - 09:53 AM

the 12 or so minutes i played many years ago, were fun, dunno if it would hold up for me today though.

Daz
  • Daz

Pirandello/Kruger

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 12 August 2013 - 09:59 AM

I have no idea why it seemed to be hated by so many people.

I actually really enjoyed it, Miami and Nice were really amazing maps, really awesome cars and still that decent driving.

In addition it had guns, which I thought was more than adequate considering it came out in like 03/04 or something, I liked the Tommy Vercetti pisstake with all the Timmy's wearing armbands/waterwings. It actually had half decent dual analog aiming which at the time was the only game of its kind to have that in a free roam driving enviroment.

There were some cool hidden cars to unlock and overall I felt it was decent.

Sure, maybe it had glitches, but that was one thing that was great about Driver 1 and 2, catching air, and flying into a building at 100MPH and getting thrown across the map.

It wasn't as great as the first two but I have very fond memories of it and felt it was decent. I remember being really excited to get my hands on it.

Lazyboy.
  • Lazyboy.

could you PLEASE stop using that f*cking blue font?!

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 12 August 2013 - 10:06 AM

I liked DRIV3R, it was pretty fun. The secret cars were cool, I remember a hippie van, a go-kart, a hot-rod and a ford gt. I obviously sucked at games all those years ago so I don't think I got anywhere near completing it. I just remember doing a mission over and over again 'cos I liked it. I can only remember two missions though, one where you drive a cop car with some other guys, then go into this building and the guy drives out and you chase him, and another where you're driving a car through a shopping centre. That's all I remember.

Th3MaN1
  • Th3MaN1

Gangsta

• Members
  • Romania

Posted 12 August 2013 - 10:06 AM

I wouldn't say that DRIV3R is better than SA, but it's a somewhat nice game to play, through imo after DRIV3R every driver game is just simply unpolished.

Daz
  • Daz

Pirandello/Kruger

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 12 August 2013 - 11:13 AM

QUOTE (Th3MaN1 @ Monday, Aug 12 2013, 10:06)
imo after DRIV3R every driver game is just simply unpolished.

They defo dropped the ball with Driver: SF.

I know a lot of people liked it and it appealed to people who aren't into driving games, but that was the problem.

They dumbed it down and made it super arcadey to sell it to everyone and not just the people who love those games.

They still had some decent driving handling and nice powerslides. I liked the replay function even though after a while it would refuse to upload a video longer than 57 seconds, which was bullsh*t.

The ability to ditch your car and instantly spawn in a new one is good for missions but not for fun. Doing this practically stripped away the ownership feeling of driving a nice car, and everything therefore felt utterly disposable.

Being able to turbo boost every few seconds made having faster cars pointless and even messing up a turn wouldnt then matter at all.

I don't know, it just felt like they did the complete opposite of what they said they were doing, "going back to the true origins of Driver", I guess all they meant was you can't get out of your car.

No other driving game holds up to Driver 1 and 2, and even 3 was still pretty damn cool, especially for a nice atmosphere and the "Driver" feel.

Th3MaN1
  • Th3MaN1

Gangsta

• Members
  • Romania

Posted 12 August 2013 - 12:14 PM

QUOTE (Daz @ Monday, Aug 12 2013, 14:13)
QUOTE (Th3MaN1 @ Monday, Aug 12 2013, 10:06)
imo after DRIV3R every driver game is just simply unpolished.

They defo dropped the ball with Driver: SF.

I know a lot of people liked it and it appealed to people who aren't into driving games, but that was the problem.

They dumbed it down and made it super arcadey to sell it to everyone and not just the people who love those games.

They still had some decent driving handling and nice powerslides. I liked the replay function even though after a while it would refuse to upload a video longer than 57 seconds, which was bullsh*t.

The ability to ditch your car and instantly spawn in a new one is good for missions but not for fun. Doing this practically stripped away the ownership feeling of driving a nice car, and everything therefore felt utterly disposable.

Being able to turbo boost every few seconds made having faster cars pointless and even messing up a turn wouldnt then matter at all.

I don't know, it just felt like they did the complete opposite of what they said they were doing, "going back to the true origins of Driver", I guess all they meant was you can't get out of your car.

No other driving game holds up to Driver 1 and 2, and even 3 was still pretty damn cool, especially for a nice atmosphere and the "Driver" feel.

This is exactly what i'm talking about.

friendly luggage
  • friendly luggage

Catch a ride!

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 12 August 2013 - 12:53 PM

I used to play this game all the time on my brother's Xbox. The driving wasn't bad and the cheats were fun. I remember there was a mode where an 18-wheeler chases you, which was bloody scary. Having the high mass cheat made ramming cars a laugh and I liked how I could drive a Renault 5 for some reason.

GtA01
  • GtA01

Paramore <3

• Members

Posted 12 August 2013 - 12:59 PM

I really loved it, I played it loads... before I starting playing SA that is. But I thought it was a good game.. didn't realise it was so badly rated confused.gif

Maurice Del Taco
  • Maurice Del Taco

Tekken

• Members

Posted 12 August 2013 - 01:03 PM

I'm glad that this topic got so many replies till now!

Here's a quick question:

Anyone here ever glitched out of map in NICE? If you did, where is the furthers place you got (out of map) and how long did it took?

For me, it took 15 mins to get between the glitch and that road with circle at the end (the road which ends the furthers from the sea).

Daz
  • Daz

Pirandello/Kruger

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 12 August 2013 - 02:12 PM

QUOTE (illegal_luggage @ Monday, Aug 12 2013, 12:53)
I liked how I could drive a Renault 5 for some reason.

I loved that as well, it had a realism to it, like you just jumped in some crappy banger and went for a joyride. I loved throwing that thing around.

Cheats definitely made games a lot more fun back in the day, Achievements definitely killed that with current gen games.

Anything physics based or that will save you time in setting up your next mess about session is needed in every game, seeing as we can't mod or have access to console commands on PS2/Xbox.

This was one of the games that showed me the potential of shooting and running with manual aim. I ALWAYS wanted to be able to run at full speed across a road with a rifle and headshot people out of their cars. (Instead of static aiming or slow moving aiming that we still have in the GTA series)

If they do decide to make another Driver game, I really hope they just stick to accurate simulation driving physics with plenty of powersliding and suspension with good jumps to go off and multiple maps.

That is where the series had it's edge.

I really hated how dead and inhuman the game world felt in Driver: SF. I know you are meant to be in a coma but it felt like I was in one in real life while playing it.

the young hooligan
  • the young hooligan

Big Evil

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 12 August 2013 - 02:21 PM

As much as I liked DRIV3R, I feel with a bit more polish it could've been a classic. It felt rushed in many aspects, especially in regards to on-foot controls. They were so clunky and awkward. The driving physics however were great.

TheBlackPeterParker.
  • TheBlackPeterParker.

616 Hero.

• Members

Posted 12 August 2013 - 02:29 PM

I don't remember playing it on consoles/pc, but it was the sh*t on gameboy. biggrin.gif

Ciaran
  • Ciaran

Capitol Crusader

• The Connection
  • Ireland

Posted 12 August 2013 - 02:30 PM

I loved Driver 3 <3

Lazyboy.
  • Lazyboy.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 12 August 2013 - 02:36 PM

How was Driver: Parallel Lines? I've never played it but from the YouTube gameplay I've seen, it looks quite good. I noticed it had car customisation but every video I saw just ignored it completely.

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 12 August 2013 - 03:06 PM

Driver: PL was actually even better than Driv3r. Customisation was also quite cool, you could improve the performance, lower your car, add bulletproof tires and windows. Bodywork was a bit simplified as you could choose from 4 bodies with different paint jobs.

Game itself was very cool and I spent many hours playing it. Bike riding physics could be better, but it was similar to this from third part.

Red XIII
  • Red XIII

British and Proud!

• Members

Posted 12 August 2013 - 03:43 PM

I loved it! I liked the map and the car sounds. It had a good atmosphere!

I gave up on a mission where you had to use the fork lift to move some boxes so you could escape.

The go kart and the go cart track was the best, when I found that I was like, oh sh*t, that's pretty cool.

What I loved about the driver series was the mystery secrets and hidden locations which most likely featured a secret cars.

RIP Driver san Francisco.

RoadRunner71
  • RoadRunner71

Try to Run, Try to Hide

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 August 2013 - 03:49 PM

I don't know DRIV3R, but I definitelly loved Parallel Lines (the 1970s part); great soundtrack, setting, if I remember well the vehicle sounds were quite good and I loved the retro speedometer tounge.gif I spent many time playing PL, was my first GTA alike game, tbh.

Ash_735
  • Ash_735

1 627 826 3789

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 12 August 2013 - 03:55 PM

Driv3r was the last TRUE Driver game, it was just a shame it was rushed out, the controls, glitches, difficulty curve, etc, were what hurt the game, but the design, story, soundtrack, vehicle detail, etc, were all pretty damn great, hell, the voice cast was brilliant to, even though some people were phoning it in.

Daz
  • Daz

Pirandello/Kruger

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 13 August 2013 - 06:51 AM

Now what I would love to see is a HD remake of this, or even a HD trilogy with all 3 in one game for current and or next gen consoles.

Totally revised or remapable controls and glitches fixed.

Now that would be worthy of some serious cash thrown at it.

Lazyboy.
  • Lazyboy.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 13 August 2013 - 09:39 AM

QUOTE (Daz @ Tuesday, Aug 13 2013, 06:51)
Now what I would love to see is a HD remake of this, or even a HD trilogy with all 3 in one game for current and or next gen consoles.

Totally revised or remapable controls and glitches fixed.

Now that would be worthy of some serious cash thrown at it.

Nah, the first 2 would be quite limited compared to other games, and DRIV3R would be viewed as a GTA clone.

It'd be pretty cool thinking about it, but I don't think it would sell that well.

John The Grudge
  • John The Grudge

Soldier

• Members

Posted 13 August 2013 - 10:17 AM Edited by John The Grudge, 13 August 2013 - 10:26 AM.

Driv3R was an unfinished game. As I understand it the developer was forced to rush it out. This is evident throughout the game. There's whole interiors (such as a nightclub) that are in the game but never used. There was a racetrack where you could get a go kart that wasn't really used and was kind of hidden. The vehicle physics were very good.

Driv3r is like the Machu Picchu of games. You can only wonder what it might have been like but all you'll ever have is an empty shell. There was huge potential there but even as half done as it is it still had it's great moments and doesn't deserve to be remembered as a bad game.

I see it as a story with a somewhat happy ending because Driver: San Francisco is a fantastic game. I got it on launch day and when the online lobbies were busy it was huge fun. I really enjoyed the single player but it could have done with a better plot. Hopefully the do another Driver game in the future but I don't think it sold well.

Lazyboy.
  • Lazyboy.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 13 August 2013 - 10:26 AM

QUOTE (John The Grudge @ Tuesday, Aug 13 2013, 10:17)
Driv3R was an unfinished game. As I understand it the developer was forced to rush it out. This is evident throughout the game. There's whole interiors (such as a nightclub) that are in the game but never used. There was a racetrack where you could get a go kart that wasn't really used and was kind of hidden. The vehicle physics were very good.

Driv3r is like the Machu Picchu of games. You can only wonder what it might have been like but all you'll ever have is an empty shell. There was huge potential there but even as half done as it is it still had it's great moments and doesn't deserve to be remembered as a bad game.

I see it as a story with a happy ending because Driver: San Francisco is a fantastic game. I got it on launch day and when the online lobbies were busy it was huge fun. I really enjoyed the single player but it could have done with a better plot.

The go-kart track was supposed to be hidden. It was used, your lap times got recorded.

As for the nightclub, wasn't that a Timmy point?

John The Grudge
  • John The Grudge

Soldier

• Members

Posted 13 August 2013 - 10:30 AM Edited by John The Grudge, 13 August 2013 - 10:38 AM.

QUOTE (LazyboyEight @ Tuesday, Aug 13 2013, 10:26)
Driv3R was an unfinished game.  As I understand it the developer was forced to rush it out.  This is evident throughout the game.  There's whole interiors (such as a nightclub) that are in the game but never used.  There was a racetrack where you could get a go kart that wasn't really used and was kind of hidden.  The vehicle physics were very good.

Driv3r is like the Machu Picchu of games.  You can only wonder what it might have been like but all you'll ever have is an empty shell.  There was huge potential there but even as half done as it is it still had it's great moments and doesn't deserve to be remembered as a bad game.

I see it as a story with a happy ending because Driver: San Francisco is a fantastic game.  I got it on launch day and when the online lobbies were busy it was huge fun.  I really enjoyed the single player but it could have done with a better plot.

The go-kart track was supposed to be hidden. It was used, your lap times got recorded.

You're right but I felt like those elements were perhaps meant for something more substantial but in the rush they ended up with fairly insignificant parts in the game. I find it inconceivable that they'd do such a detailed nightclub interior with music just for a collectable.

I remember exploring the really detailed city (most of which wasn't used in the story) and driving down an alley then hearing music from somewhere and discovering this cool nightclub. The one good thing about them not finishing the game properly was discovering all the cool stuff left over.

Lazyboy.
  • Lazyboy.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 13 August 2013 - 10:42 AM

QUOTE (John The Grudge @ Tuesday, Aug 13 2013, 10:30)
QUOTE (LazyboyEight @ Tuesday, Aug 13 2013, 10:26)
Driv3R was an unfinished game.  As I understand it the developer was forced to rush it out.  This is evident throughout the game.  There's whole interiors (such as a nightclub) that are in the game but never used.  There was a racetrack where you could get a go kart that wasn't really used and was kind of hidden.  The vehicle physics were very good.

Driv3r is like the Machu Picchu of games.  You can only wonder what it might have been like but all you'll ever have is an empty shell.  There was huge potential there but even as half done as it is it still had it's great moments and doesn't deserve to be remembered as a bad game.

I see it as a story with a happy ending because Driver: San Francisco is a fantastic game.  I got it on launch day and when the online lobbies were busy it was huge fun.  I really enjoyed the single player but it could have done with a better plot.

You're right but I felt like those elements were perhaps meant for something more substantial but in the rush they ended up with fairly insignificant parts in the game. I find it inconceivable that they'd do such a detailed nightclub interior with music just for a collectable.

I remember exploring the really detailed city (most of which wasn't used in the story) and driving down an alley then hearing music from somewhere and discovering this cool nightclub. The one good thing about them not finishing the game properly was discovering all the cool stuff left over.

Volition modelled several hidden islands and a huge rabbit just for a collectible. It may just be something nice to have in the city, it may not. Maybe the mission they were going to use it for got scrapped but they kept the nightclub anyway.

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Sax & Violins

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 13 August 2013 - 10:54 AM

Driv3r and Driver: PL were great.

I loved going after the Tommy Vermicelli "collectibles" hidden around the city wearing their Hawaiian shirts.

Driver had some innovative stuff that probably inspired GTA IV such as the driving physics and the police chase circle thingy. I also loved how in Driver: PL if you destroyed your car it would be back in your garage and you could repair it. The car customisation was fun and it's very bold having a game set in 1978 and then 2006. They did it quite well. icon14.gif

Archangelsky
  • Archangelsky

Snitch

• Members

Posted 13 August 2013 - 01:37 PM

I only played Driv3r once, and even though I have to say I really wanted to like it I didn't. The driving was ok but the controls when you were on foot was to sharp and clunky, it was not smooth enough for me.

The graphics was quite ok for its time as far as I remember.

In addition of course I as far as I remember on the PC version of Driver I you could use wheel and pedals and I do not think you could do that in DRiv3r, so thats a mega-fail.

Ever since Mafia I, if there is a game that is released that centres around driving and cars that does NOT support wheel and pedals gets a solid downgrade from me, even GTAV.

Maurice Del Taco
  • Maurice Del Taco

Tekken

• Members

Posted 13 August 2013 - 05:31 PM

I kinda feel that Driver PL is just refurbished Driv3r with some things added and many taken out of game. But, If they took one more year to develop Driv3r, i think it would be much better than Driver PL

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users