Photo

Autolock old threads

8 replies to this topic
Zugzwang
  • Zugzwang

Snitch

• Members

Posted 12 August 2013 - 01:04 AM

I see a lot of threads locked as a result of people giving them meaningless 'bumps' and I was thinking maybe it would be a good idea to just automatically lock threads that haven't been posted in in maybe six months or some other length of time. Reddit does this, for example, and I think it's worked out nicely. I know that bumps are allowed if they actually add something to the topic, but if you actually add something to the topic why not just start up a new thread on what was being discussed? It just seems like it would keep things tidier around the forums and might be something worth thinking about.

Shou
  • Shou

y

• Members
  • Jamaica
  • Best Signature 2013
    Best Signature 2012

Posted 12 August 2013 - 02:52 AM

The number of older topics that are bumped randomly on a daily basis isn't as much as you think and it is certainly not a big issue so much to say we need to auto lock them. If you see these topics just hit the 'Report' button and they will be dealt with in a timely manner.

Zugzwang
  • Zugzwang

Snitch

• Members

Posted 12 August 2013 - 06:30 AM

QUOTE (shoumic @ Monday, Aug 12 2013, 02:52)
The number of older topics that are bumped randomly on a daily basis isn't as much as you think and it is certainly not a big issue so much to say we need to auto lock them. If you see these topics just hit the 'Report' button and they will be dealt with in a timely manner.

Of course it's not a huge issue, it's just a tweak that would make the forum better. Sure reporting them works, but this would work better.

Shou
  • Shou

y

• Members
  • Jamaica
  • Best Signature 2013
    Best Signature 2012

Posted 12 August 2013 - 06:42 AM

QUOTE (Zugzwang @ Monday, Aug 12 2013, 12:30)
Of course it's not a huge issue, it's just a tweak that would make the forum better. Sure reporting them works, but this would work better.

You're only considering topics that have no use anymore which are bumped. Auto locking topics after a certain amount of time isn't the best of ideas since there are useful/good topics as well which would be locked for no proper reason if the staff were to implement this feature. For example meta187's for the love of money topic has been inactive for a while and it would probably be auto locked by now. What if meta wanted to update the topic? He would have to contact moderators for the topic to be unlocked. Now imagine if this were to happen to every topic in the forum at one point. You would see many others requesting their topics to be unlocked when they need to add something so things would get too complicated fast especially in a forum like this. This isn't Reddit.

You said yourself reporting these topics works. And all reports are dealt with relatively quickly in this board so there's no need to auto lock topics again.

Tacymist
  • Tacymist

Onward towards the light

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Most GIFted Member

Posted 12 August 2013 - 06:46 AM

It really does sound like more trouble than it's worth.

Zugzwang
  • Zugzwang

Snitch

• Members

Posted 12 August 2013 - 06:58 AM

QUOTE (shoumic @ Monday, Aug 12 2013, 06:42)
QUOTE (Zugzwang @ Monday, Aug 12 2013, 12:30)

You're only considering topics that have no use anymore which are bumped. Auto locking topics after a certain amount of time isn't the best of ideas since there are useful/good topics as well which would be locked for no proper reason if the staff were to implement this feature. For example meta187's for the love of money topic has been inactive for a while and it would probably be auto locked by now. What if meta wanted to update the topic? He would have to contact moderators for the topic to be unlocked. Now imagine if this were to happen to every topic in the forum at one point. You would see many others requesting their topics to be unlocked when they need to add something so things would get too complicated fast especially in a forum like this. This isn't Reddit.

You said yourself reporting these topics works. And all reports are dealt with relatively quickly in this board so there's no need to auto lock topics again.

What's the for the love of money topic? Do year old topic really get updated very often?

Shou
  • Shou

y

• Members
  • Jamaica
  • Best Signature 2013
    Best Signature 2012

Posted 12 August 2013 - 07:06 AM

QUOTE (Zugzwang @ Monday, Aug 12 2013, 12:58)
What's the for the love of money topic? Do year old topic really get updated very often?

For the love of money is one of Meta187's topics and it will need to be updated/bumped in the future (for part III) and you would be surprised how many other older topics are updated/bumped from time to time, I could give you more examples but one is enough. Basically the report function is there to deal with problem you wanted a solution to and if it is working there is no reason for topic to be auto locked.

Zugzwang
  • Zugzwang

Snitch

• Members

Posted 12 August 2013 - 07:20 AM

QUOTE (shoumic @ Monday, Aug 12 2013, 07:06)
QUOTE (Zugzwang @ Monday, Aug 12 2013, 12:58)

For the love of money is one of Meta187's topics and it will need to be updated/bumped in the future (for part III) and you would be surprised how many other older topics are updated/bumped from time to time, I could give you more examples but one is enough. Basically the report function is there to deal with problem you wanted a solution to and if it is working there is no reason for topic to be auto locked.

Okay I know this is straying off topic a little bit but I searched for it, couldn't find it, and now I'm curious. Do you have a link?

Part of the rationale here is that by autolocking topics after they've lost their relevance the staff will have less reports to deal with. It really seems like a win-win to me, fewer bumps and fewer reports.

Shou
  • Shou

y

• Members
  • Jamaica
  • Best Signature 2013
    Best Signature 2012

Posted 12 August 2013 - 07:28 AM

QUOTE (Zugzwang @ Monday, Aug 12 2013, 13:20)
Okay I know this is straying off topic a little bit but I searched for it, couldn't find it, and now I'm curious. Do you have a link?

http://www.gtaforums...opic=553057&hl=

QUOTE (Zugzwang @ Monday, Aug 12 2013, 13:20)
Part of the rationale here is that by autolocking topics after they've lost their relevance the staff will have less reports to deal with. It really seems like a win-win to me, fewer bumps and fewer reports.

It's not a win win situation because the idea is too complicated. The good older topics will be locked for no good reason basically and to unlock these topics moderators will need to be contacted which is too much trouble, we don't need members filling up their inboxes for topics to be unlocked, just in case someone has something good to add to it. It's better to leave all topics alone for this reason. And I've already said this problem isn't so big and the moderators are dealing with reports fine so you don't have to worry about reducing the number of reports staff deal with. This isn't a nuisance.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users