Quantcast

» «
Photo

Do you think GTA IV lived up to the hype?

24 replies to this topic
zoptaa
  • zoptaa

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 12 August 2013 - 12:46 AM

Hey guys

I thought i'd start a new debate/ discussion thread on GTA. This isn't a whine, or a rant or anything. This is just pure discussion, so don't try to flame things up. GTA 4 is a great game, a true technical feat and a true testament of realism in games. But like someone said, it isn't perfect. And the hype meter was off the scale. People were expecting TONS of things, and some got them, some disappointed.

I personally think that Grand Theft Auto 4 was great, and DID live up to the hype. But if i could change one thing, it would be to make it longer, and not make the ending suck.

What do you think?

Racecarlock
  • Racecarlock

The floor here will kill you, try to avoid it.

• Members

Posted 12 August 2013 - 06:25 AM

Well, it was good. Not the greatest game in the history of the universe, not the best game on this earth. It's okay. It's not as fun as some other GTA games, but it's alright. Average. Worth playing.

Target13Productions
  • Target13Productions

Member of the Row

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 12 August 2013 - 06:56 AM

I Know that GTA IV was a Road down hill because the lack of San Andreas's features but C'mon.
Do you really expect a GTA V kind of game back in 2008? GTA IV Had its Pros & Cons but its still
my favorite GTA..Well, Yet. Those who were disappointed can now play GTA V Soon.

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

Goodfella

• Australia
  • Best Member in an Official Group 2012

Posted 12 August 2013 - 07:08 AM

The only thing I would change about GTA IV is adding car customisation and more rewards for side missions. Other than that it's the best GTA to me.

GTA V has to do more convincing to me than just some shiny features. I'm pretty set in my GTA IV ways though.

da_KING
  • da_KING

Anger Of Beast

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 August 2013 - 09:01 AM

I think that GTA 4 is awesome game, even still today. I know, there weren't so many features like in SA, but all the missions were excellently made and that Liberty City... Still breathtaking and after 5 years, I still discover new places smile.gif

isselman2000
  • isselman2000

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 13 August 2013 - 02:33 AM

GTA IV is my favorite GTA so far. It's also perhaps the most complete and technically solid game I've ever played. San Andreas was more fun, yes - but it didn't blow me away like GTA IV - in fact, no other game has. Before 2008, games were sloppy and inconsistent (yes, that includes GTA games), and ANY story in a videogame was considered a great story. GTA IV changed our standards on both fronts. In terms of quality control, consistent atmosphere and a serious, mature storyline, games like Red Dead Redemption, Bioshock Infinite and The Last of Us owe their very existence to GTA IV. I cannot imagine games like those coming out before GTA IV, when the potential for serious, no-nonsense videogames on current gen platforms was uncovered and the quality standard for the whole generation was set.

MaddenSixx
  • MaddenSixx

:)

• Members

Posted 23 August 2013 - 08:12 PM

When I first started playing GTA IV I had never even heard of it. I mean I knew there were gta games but I didn't know anyone who played them and when I started playing the only other GTA game I had played was San Andreas so I didn't really hear how "great" or "amazing" the game was. I had no expectations from it which turned out to be a good thing because I love it and I think if I had of had someone telling me that the game was awful I would haven ever even started playing it.

It's my favorite game to be honest. It gives you a challenge but it's not so challenging that you want to give up on it. I mean yeah they could have improved a little with it but it's a great game.

subsonicdust
  • subsonicdust

A Demon of Liberty

• Members

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:11 AM

It did and it didn't. The multiplayer was a technical marvel, and I still play it today. The physics engine and car handling are also both big highlights, as is Liberty City itself. However, for me, the story dragged on as it approached Alderney, there wasn't enough to do off-mission and the overall lack of guns and customisation options was a letdown.

Dollarhide
  • Dollarhide

Original Pimp

• Members

Posted 30 August 2013 - 02:25 PM

I think that it didn't live up to the hype.
One thing that bothers me is that the city is almost dead - it isn't as lively as San Andreas or Stillwater of Saints Row. I also didn't like the fact that there are only 3 or 4 clothing stores where you can buy clothes from. And while there are dozens of ProLaps and Ranch and Didier Sachs stores around, they are unenterable and useless.
I was also disappointed by the fact you couldn't buy safehouses and were limited by using few that the game gives.
Nonetheless, I love this game and there's actually more to do and discover than in San Andreas.

W2B
  • W2B

Is Awesome!

• Zaibatsu
  • South-Africa

Posted 30 August 2013 - 03:08 PM

In my opinion, IV is the best GTA so far (although I'm sure V will be even better).

The game was and still is fun to play, great story, atmosphere, missions etc etc. The awesome Euphoria physicness blew me away, and those explosions...... Just wow inlove.gif

A lot of people say the city feels dead or whatever, but for me, it's the most lively world ever created by R*. Just walking around and listening to all the sounds or conversations is pretty cool. Or watching people fight after a car accident...

What I missed in IV was stuff like planes, a hidden Rhino maybe, and car customization among others, but, I think R* did an amazing job nonetheless (but not with them impatient AI drivers angry.gif )

Definitely my favorite GTA, and it did live up to the hype, at least for me..

(Did I mention how awesome Euphoria is???)

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

Goodfella

• Australia

Posted 31 August 2013 - 02:15 AM

QUOTE (Werebot85 @ Saturday, Aug 31 2013, 02:08)
A lot of people say the city feels dead or whatever, but for me, it's the most lively world ever created by R*. Just walking around and listening to all the sounds or conversations is pretty cool. Or watching people fight after a car accident...

I agree. I love walking around the streets of LC. Especially when it's raining and seeing peds run for cover, huddling trying to get warm, grabbing their umbrellas etc.

GTA IV makes me feel like a tourist. I normally also like to walk among crowds of peds at traffic lights and such in Algonquin.

Nem Wan
  • Nem Wan

The Artist Formerly Known As Magic_Al

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 31 August 2013 - 04:44 AM

Yes. The city is very much alive, and a lot of the life is subtle and encourages the player to slow down and just watch. Yes they reduced how many things the game does compared to SA but what they kept and added is done so much better. The trade-offs were worth it, even if it would be another five years before Rockstar had built up the ability to do an HD version of a world that exceeds everything San Andreas did.
  • Capricornus and Deadly Target like this

nuthead
  • nuthead

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 01 September 2013 - 11:42 PM

It is a good game but there could be more things to spend your money on

Official General
  • Official General

You gotta always carry heat in these Vice City streets

• Members

Posted 02 September 2013 - 12:30 AM

I'm gonna say the same thing as some guy on here said earlier. It did and it did not. It should have and could have been much better game than it actually turned out to be for various reasons.

GTA IV was amazing and brilliant in many areas and a bit of letdown in some areas. It is definitely not my favorite GTA, but regardless, it is a very good game that any GTA fan should play and own, it's still a classic title.

TonyMontanaCDL
  • TonyMontanaCDL

Snitch

• Members

Posted 05 September 2013 - 08:05 AM

Did it live up to the hype? Absolutely not.

The game becomes extremely boring not even half way through the story. They sacrificed so much to make it so realistic and the main focus being the storyline, which overall was not that great. You have good characters, and then terrible ones having control of the central focus of the plot. They did this in San Andreas, and was one of the reasons the storyline to that game was so laughably bad. Instead of an idiot gang banger brother, this time around you get Roman, who is the biggest hammer over Niko's toe. Everything that makes Niko a great character sadly gets squashed by the babysitting of this narcissistic greedy moron that clearly influences Niko to become greedy too, with this whole "America is so great!" BS shoved down your throat.

With all the hype surrounding this game as it being the greatest thing since sliced bread it was a massive disappointment.
The new engine mechanics are still hard to get used to after all this time of playing it, the city indeed does feel lifeless like you're walking in zombie land and none of pedestrians are memorable. The city is as lifeless as it gets. You make endless amounts of money as rewards, with absolutely nothing to spend it on besides clothes.

I went back and was playing through the game again to get freshened up for GTA V, and I still don't see how in the world this is called the best one. It was the most disappointing one by far. You are placed in a controlled environment with very little to do besides the main storyline. The friends and girlfriends are the worst part of the game. I don't want to go bowling and play darts, I would rather do paramedic and pizza boy missions, and actually receive a reward for it.

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

Goodfella

• Australia

Posted 05 September 2013 - 08:28 AM

Different strokes for different folks. Personally GTA IV's environment is one of the impressive I've ever experienced in a video game. It always feels the population changes due to superior ped diversity.

Something the old games lacked and to be honest I've always found the GTA III era's side missions kind of dull and crap. Hanging out with other characters in GTA IV doesn't feel like things are so segregated.

P.S Sliced bread sure is great just like GTA IV. smile.gif

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:00 AM

MVC hit the right string here. Delivery missions like Pizza Boy or collecting ones like Paramedic were good, but they were in the series since III/VC. R* has to think what to do to appeal not only to new people, but also to old fans, which are with the series from the beginning. How many times you can do the same missions over and over?

Second point is they wouldn't fit Niko as a character. Can you imagine rugged yugoslavian war veteran to drive a faggio and delivering pizzas? Taxi missions were included because of Roman and Vigilante, because of completely new police computer, but what fresh thing could be added to Paramedic or Pizza delivery? I don't cry that they decided to drop them, because I got different stuff to do in their place and I believe that V will also exclude them.

redx165
  • redx165

Making the GTA fanboys dance

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 06 September 2013 - 05:07 AM

The game becomes extremely boring not even half way through the story. They sacrificed so much to make it so realistic and the main focus being the storyline, which overall was not that great. You have good characters, and then terrible ones having control of the central focus of the plot. They did this in San Andreas, and was one of the reasons the storyline to that game was so laughably bad. Instead of an idiot gang banger brother, this time around you get Roman, who is the biggest hammer over Niko's toe. Everything that makes Niko a great character sadly gets squashed by the babysitting of this narcissistic greedy moron that clearly influences Niko to become greedy too, with this whole "America is so great!" BS shoved down your throat.

With all the hype surrounding this game as it being the greatest thing since sliced bread it was a massive disappointment.
The new engine mechanics are still hard to get used to after all this time of playing it, the city indeed does feel lifeless like you're walking in zombie land and none of pedestrians are memorable. The city is as lifeless as it gets. You make endless amounts of money as rewards, with absolutely nothing to spend it on besides clothes.

I went back and was playing through the game again to get freshened up for GTA V, and I still don't see how in the world this is called the best one. It was the most disappointing one by far. You are placed in a controlled environment with very little to do besides the main storyline. The friends and girlfriends are the worst part of the game. I don't want to go bowling and play darts, I would rather do paramedic and pizza boy missions, and actually receive a reward for it.

I feel the same way. 

• Capricornus likes this

Mcquiz
  • Mcquiz

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • Estonia

Posted 10 September 2013 - 06:06 PM

It definetly lived up to my hype. I'm still convinced that those don't like GTA IV have never seen much of what the game has to offer. I'm replaying through it now and I'm amazed how they made such a beautiful game and a fantastically recreated New York in 2008.

Official General
  • Official General

You gotta always carry heat in these Vice City streets

• Members

Posted 10 September 2013 - 08:27 PM

I played through GTA IV a second time, and I will admit that I liked it and enjoyed a lot more than I did the first time around, discovered a lot more new things. It made change my views a bit, IV is still a great game. But I still think it was over-hyped in way. 

It definetly lived up to my hype. I'm still convinced that those don't like GTA IV have never seen much of what the game has to offer. I'm replaying through it now and I'm amazed how they made such a beautiful game and a fantastically recreated New York in 2008.

Mr. Rocko
  • Mr. Rocko

Beep.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 12 September 2013 - 04:21 AM

I did when it first came out. Now that I look back at it, meh...

Fr0zT uP
  • Fr0zT uP

GTA 4 Life

• Members

Posted 15 September 2013 - 08:15 PM

I feel the same way. 

I must disagree with you. Yes the game wasn't perfect but was better than the previos GTA games. I will debate your argumentation:

1-story. The story is way better than the one in San Andreas. In San Andreas CJ returned to Los Santos couse of his mother's death. But this wasn't used it the srory at all besides the first mission, Drive-thrue and The Introduction. After a while I complately forgot about it. And also CJ was forsed to do many things by some corrupt cops who use him to deal with their problems and gave him nothing as an exchange. The story was generaly good but there were some week spots. You say in IV Niko is babysitting his cousin. In fact Roman appeared in the erly missions where you do some jobs for him, stop the albanians that beat him up, and rescue him from the kidnappers but the late part of the story is about Niko serching for 'that special someone'. And Roman only appeard twice-The first time when Niko found Florian and the second when hi found Darko.

2-gameplay. I agree that the game lacks of rewards and things to spend money on.But the city actually feels more alive. NPCs do many more things like smokig, talking on the phone, hobos begging for money, Buskers on streets you can give money to, orators that talk about social problems... And you say non of the peds is memorable. Maybe becouse you don't find some clones on the street talking to each other. In IV the peds use same models but in different age, hairstyle and clothes. And the mechanics. Yes mele fighting is lame but the shootots are much more realistic and complex. You can hide behind walls and objects. And cars aren't great but at least don't stop immidiately

3-Side activities. I think the alibity to go ou with friends and girlfriends helps to make the game more alive. Even through it was anoying at times it was still a great thing and I am so glad rockstar added it. And I think side missions were more interestings. In the 3D era they didn't changed  a bit from GTA III all the way to Vice City Stories. I prefer doing drug deliveries for Little Jacob or Stealing cars for Brucie and Steve than does stupid paramedics missions and pizza boy missions.

I wounder why people complain about franchies having new directions. People complain that Call Of Duty is the same since Call Of Duty 4 but won't this happen to GTA if they stick to the same formula forever?

KillEmAll
  • KillEmAll

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 16 September 2013 - 04:36 AM Edited by KillEmAll, 16 September 2013 - 04:36 AM.

Ive put maybe  50 hours or so into this game, I just never liked this GTA 4. Massive fan of VC and SA though, Hope GTAV is better.

TazzMission28
  • TazzMission28

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 16 September 2013 - 05:02 AM

i dont get why gta4 gets alot of hate. i mean yea in some cases alot of the diolauge between niko and guys like little jacob is hard to understand but the game itself isnt as bad as people make it out to be.

i wouldnt say id give it a perfect 10 but i do think its a 9 at best.

now as far as the next game. i wont know till i play it. i only go by one review and thats my own.  hardcore fans of anything can just hype anything nowadays and thats why i never trust game review scores

Hugef1
  • Hugef1

Playa

• Members

Posted 16 September 2013 - 07:36 AM

My personal hype? Yes, aside from a few irritations and some glaring omissions. For example a helicopter that SOMETIMES spawns, and that's pretty easy to get anyway was no reward for the 200 damn pigeons I had to shoot. However the graphics (IMO they matter a fair bit), driving, and proper online stuff exceeded my personal expectations.

The general hype you get on a forum like this? No game ever made ever has ever or will ever match up to the kind of hype that comes on places like this. I have read so many whining threads on here about San Andreas, IV and V that when something changes that some people don't like, it's pretty easy to ignore.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users