Photo

Better than the original?

64 replies to this topic
lazloisdavrock
  • lazloisdavrock

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 11 August 2013 - 03:54 PM

I'm sure theres been threads about this but I figured It wouldn't hurt to make a new one . Been playing VCS again on PS2, and I cant help to think to myself that its better than Vice city. The addition to Jetskis, zombies, all the businesses you can buy then upgrade. You get a better feeling of being Scarface in this one. I also think the graphics looks better even though they are upscaled PSP graphics. Better missions, The character models look great, also phil f*cking collins.

confederatestatesgta
  • confederatestatesgta

rebel

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 11 August 2013 - 06:43 PM

yes your right plus i like vic vance 1 million times better than tommy vercetti. and vcs was my favorite gta before 4. and i loved the music and the atmosphere was better than vc imo. the story and vehicles guns and everything else is better. i also hope to see vc in gta 6

Sakurai Aoi
  • Sakurai Aoi

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 18 August 2013 - 04:18 PM

yeah vcs was better then vc.

GoldenBlade
  • GoldenBlade

Hustlin'

• Members

Posted 18 August 2013 - 07:08 PM

Yes, I do believe that VCS is better than the original VC. I love the feel of VC in VCS. It looks absolutely beautiful with all of the bright lights. Also, I love all of the additions that weren't in the original, as you stated.

Arran B
  • Arran B

The '80s enthusiast.

• Members

Posted 19 August 2013 - 05:00 PM

The vibes in VCS are really similar to those of Vice City. I preferred the lighting and vehicle physics. Plus the side activities in VCS were far more entertaining. Although Vice City was technically my first GTA, I do slightly prefer playing VCS as the driving is more forgiving and the soundtrack is f*cking amazing. Great 80s nostalgia, even for people that weren't around at that time such as myself who have grown up through times where people like Rhianna and Drake are idolised and bands such as Depeche Mode aren't on the radio anymore. I've gotta thank the GTA games for getting me into good music.

Anyway, I might go and play VCS quickly now before work haha.

Johan
  • Johan

• The Yardies
  • Dominican-Republic

Posted 19 August 2013 - 05:13 PM

I loved both games but I still consider Vice City to be much better but slightly. Vice City Stories DOES have the better soundtrack, it includes many songs that I remember my dad putting on the radio back in the early 2000's (those radio stations played the best 80 songs)
The business minigames aren't my cup of tea though and zombies as well but I do love the variations of missions

G D
  • G D

Praise the sun, or die trying.

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 August 2013 - 01:25 AM

- In the gameplay department, yes.
- In story? No, i don't think so.
- In the soundtrack? it's subjective.
- In atmosphere? Been a long time since i played VCS, can't comment.
- In side missions? Tie here.
- In replay value? Both have their own "secret weapon" VC with the business, VCS with the empire. i liked the empire building more to be honest.
- In characters? for me, VC. cool.gif

Quite frankly, VCS is underrated by the fanbase. same with LCS, and especially IV. facedesk.gif

Darth_Starkiller
  • Darth_Starkiller

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 21 August 2013 - 06:02 PM

The only thing better in VC is the story. In VCS, the missions and side missions are funner, the weapons are better, the city feels more 80s, the graphics are much better, physics are better, there are more vehicles and off mission activities.
Quite frankly, VCS is underrated by the fanbase. same with LCS, and especially IV.

IV is overrated if compared to Chinatown Wars.

Irrational
  • Irrational

Federação das Américas

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 21 August 2013 - 10:27 PM

QUOTE ("lazloisdavrock ")
Better than the original?

user posted image
Nop.

QUOTE ("lazloisdavrock")
I also think the graphics looks better even though they are upscaled PSP graphics.

Both VCS and LCS run at 640x448 natively on the PS2 (except for their PAL counterparts that run at 512x512) while the PSP version runs at 480x272 natively.
There is no upscale.

Riding shotgun
  • Riding shotgun

Burn till I cant burn no more

• Members

Posted 21 August 2013 - 11:09 PM

When I first got VCS, I couldn't put it down for a week on my PSP. Nowdays I would say VC for story and VCS for fun(doesnt mean VC isnt fun). colgate.gif

Mr_Leone
  • Mr_Leone

The Liberty City Experience

• Members

Posted 23 August 2013 - 03:49 PM

VCS is better, yeah. Vic was much more capable, which was attributed to the updated mechanics.

Jordiath
  • Jordiath

∆ for ∆pple

• Awaiting Authorisation

Posted 23 August 2013 - 10:49 PM

They were both on par and great.

TonyMontanaCDL
  • TonyMontanaCDL

Snitch

• Members

Posted 26 August 2013 - 08:59 PM

The original had a better storyline, and was more fun to go through it like this.

Vice City Stories has upgraded mechanics, better weapons, and fun additions, but overall the storyline is flat in comparison and pretty much a joke. Vic Vance is weak compared to Tommy Vercetti. Sonny made a much better final boss than Martinez.

Riding shotgun
  • Riding shotgun

Burn till I cant burn no more

• Members

Posted 26 August 2013 - 09:18 PM

QUOTE (TonyMontanaCDL @ Monday, Aug 26 2013, 20:59)
The original had a better storyline, and was more fun to go through it like this.

Vice City Stories has upgraded mechanics, better weapons, and fun additions, but overall the storyline is flat in comparison and pretty much a joke. Vic Vance is weak compared to Tommy Vercetti. Sonny made a much better final boss than Martinez.

For sure. Also Vic complained a lot about what he was doing. It seemed like he thought he was righteous. I stil like Vic though. He was different than the rest of the characters who seemed to have lived in crime their whole life. Vic was a soldier who got kicked out and had to make ends meet by doing crazy sh*t.

Carbonox
  • Carbonox

Too weird to live but much too rare to die

• Members
  • Finland

Posted 26 August 2013 - 09:31 PM

I prefer the original VC for the storyline, protagonist and atmosphere, but VCS did introduce quite a lot of side mission variety to the series. It's damn hard for me to choose the better game though, they both excel in different ways. confused.gif

TonyMontanaCDL
  • TonyMontanaCDL

Snitch

• Members

Posted 26 August 2013 - 09:43 PM

QUOTE (Riding shotgun @ Monday, Aug 26 2013, 21:18)

For sure. Also Vic complained a lot about what he was doing. It seemed like he thought he was righteous.

That was my biggest issue with Vic. He complains but he still does it. This was also the problem with CJ in San Andreas, he complained all the time. As soon as Lance shows up, the game turned into the Lance Vance show.

I still love VCS though, the game was outstanding. I would love to see the original remade on the same engine.

BabeRuth
  • BabeRuth

Bronx Bombers Stadium

• Members

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:10 PM

Story Wise- No
Gameplay Wise- Yes
Atmosphere Wise- Tie
Radio Station Wise- Yes
Protagonist Wise- Yes
Colorful Wise- No

I think when it comes to the setting, and clothing VC did alot better than VCS.

Infinityfq
  • Infinityfq

Career Criminal

• Members

Posted 28 August 2013 - 10:48 PM

Quite possibly so.
Victor is one of my definate favourites from the GTA series, and I really enjoyed the gameplay of VCS.
It's a shame though, how it was never released for PC and thus gaining far lesser popularity.

bobo081093
  • bobo081093

Snitch

• Members

Posted 01 September 2013 - 10:21 AM

Story/Protag: yes; It's the only GTA of which the protag is forced into crime due to reasons beyond his control even though he was previously living an honest life.
Gameplay: Yes; Another plane biggrin.gif also lots of side activities
Atmosphere: Equal but I prefer VCS
Radio Stations: Yes; With the exception of V-Rock, I find the VCS version has mostly harder rock music than VC
Colourful wise: Easily VCS; VC is a lot darker..

That said both are awesome to play and VC's story is longer..

mdz255
  • mdz255

I'm not a crook

• Members

Posted 10 September 2013 - 08:42 PM

Only because Phil Collins in the game

Kalerney
  • Kalerney

Ibanez Player

• Members
  • France

Posted 10 September 2013 - 08:55 PM

In my opinion VC is wayy better than VCS. Yes there's fun addition, but playing Vice City get me an awesome feeling that I don't get in VCS. Technicaly VCS is really crap (on PS2) and Vic is just the weakest GTA character ever played.

DeafMetal
  • DeafMetal

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 11 September 2013 - 04:46 AM

Nah. Technology aside, I liked the vibe from Vice City the most. Plus the songs in Vice City were (let's imagine it's a single) A-side quality while the ones in VCS were B-side quality. Let's not forget Tommy Vercetti either :p best protag ever.

FearTheLiving
  • FearTheLiving

Giovane D'onore

• Members

Posted 12 September 2013 - 09:32 PM

Nope, but it's really good.

DanC1989
  • DanC1989

Playing GTA religiously since 2002

• Members

Posted 13 September 2013 - 11:20 PM

No chance. VCS is the only 3D Grand Theft Auto to date that I haven't completed.

Undertaker13
  • Undertaker13

I'm not bullsh*tting!

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 16 September 2013 - 01:43 PM

VCS is in my opinion better than VC, but that's just my opinion after all.

NADOLNY
  • NADOLNY

Homie

• BUSTED!

Posted 19 September 2013 - 12:35 AM

- In replay value? Both have their own "secret weapon" VC with the business, VCS with the empire. i liked the empire building more to be honest.

Quite frankly, VCS is underrated by the fanbase. same with LCS, and especially IV. facedesk.gif

agreed

GTASkunk
  • GTASkunk

Don Vercetti

• Members

Posted 22 September 2013 - 08:47 PM

Nothing beats the original, obviously Vice City had it's flaws, so VCS covered them.

kmg90
  • kmg90

Video games enthusiast

• Members

Posted 24 September 2013 - 08:51 PM

Pretty much sums up my opinion on the matter.

While VCS definitely has the upper hand the gameplay department but that should be a given since it's a seqel.

However the story is a bit dull compared to VC, also VCS characters are very forgettable compared to the VC....

Music is a tossup but I think VC comes out ahead as I can listen to any station but VCS has a few clunkers....

Bucky914
  • Bucky914

Street Cat

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 September 2013 - 02:11 AM

Phil Collins? Check.

Better African American protagonist than CJ? Check.

Better Soundtrack? Check.

Better Storyline? Check.

Beatable in a reasonable time frame? Check.

Irrational
  • Irrational

Federação das Américas

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 28 September 2013 - 09:31 PM

Vic was not african-american.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users