Photo

stuck pixel on new laptop

17 replies to this topic
dukee152
  • dukee152

Thug

• Members

Posted 11 August 2013 - 02:28 AM

A week ago I bought a laptop for school and I noticed that there was a little spec on the screen so I cleaned the screen multiple times and I noticed it was still there. then I realized it was a stuck pixel. So afterwards I brought it back to best buy because it was under warranty, and they replaced it with a new one. After that I bring it home I used it for a few hours then I went out and when I got home I noticed that there was a stuck pixel on the new one. So what should I do should I bring it back or should I try to fix it myself?

here is the laptop http://www.bestbuy.c...=9#tab=overview

Jewstinian
  • Jewstinian

Entitled Asshat

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 11 August 2013 - 02:49 AM Edited by TheJustinAllenK, 11 August 2013 - 02:57 AM.

Have you tried giving the dead pixel CPR?

I know this sounds like a joke, but it works sometimes. What you do is take your thumb, hold the back of it, and push on the pixel, then out, and repeat. Is it truly in the way, or is it just a nuisance?

dukee152
  • dukee152

Thug

• Members

Posted 11 August 2013 - 02:57 AM

QUOTE (TheJustinAllenK @ Sunday, Aug 11 2013, 02:49)
Have you tried giving the deal pixel CPR?

I know this sounds like a joke, but it works sometimes. What you do is take your thumb, hold the back of it, and push on the pixel, then out, and repeat. Is it truly in the way, or is it just a nuisance?

its annoying. I only have 10 days til school starts and I dont want to bring it in for an RMA because I dont know when they will bring it back. So should I return it again tomorrow because 3 times is a charm. I just tried pixel cpr and it does not seem to be working.

Ryan
  • Ryan

• Zaibatsu
  • Canada

Posted 11 August 2013 - 03:00 AM

You could always try taking it to the store and telling them the situation you're in and see if they've exchange it for a new one. If that doesn't work, you could try returning it, get your money back and then buy a new one of the same model tounge.gif

dukee152
  • dukee152

Thug

• Members

Posted 11 August 2013 - 03:02 AM

QUOTE (Ryan @ Sunday, Aug 11 2013, 03:00)
You could always try taking it to the store and telling them the situation you're in and see if they've exchange it for a new one. If that doesn't work, you could try returning it, get your money back and then buy a new one of the same model tounge.gif

yeah it is annoying because i spent a few hors getting setup on the second laptop and this happens again

Finn 7 five 11
  • Finn 7 five 11

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 August 2013 - 06:57 AM Edited by finn4life, 11 August 2013 - 06:59 AM.

Some LCD displays all end up with dead pixels on some parts of the screen even brand new, I was reading about it somewhere not long ago, I forget which kind of panel does it though.

RMA it, otherwise it isn't going away, otherwise ignore it, it's only a speck.

Oh btw is it dead, or stuck? I know you said stuck, but it can be used as a blanket term, so wasn't sure if you were being specific.

dukee152
  • dukee152

Thug

• Members

Posted 11 August 2013 - 04:33 PM

QUOTE (finn4life @ Sunday, Aug 11 2013, 06:57)
Some LCD displays all end up with dead pixels on some parts of the screen even brand new, I was reading about it somewhere not long ago, I forget which kind of panel does it though.

RMA it, otherwise it isn't going away, otherwise ignore it, it's only a speck.

Oh btw is it dead, or stuck? I know you said stuck, but it can be used as a blanket term, so wasn't sure if you were being specific.

It is stuck because I am using undead pixel's pixel locator and the pixel doesnt show up when I click the color lime. Last time it didnt show up when I clicked blue. I may just live with it because it is not that bad and I do not feel like starting up all over agian for the 3rd time. Also I may go give it an RMA in december after first semester is over.

unc13bud
  • unc13bud

I stay mad @ Rockstar

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 August 2013 - 12:25 AM

It is stuck because I am using undead pixel's pixel locator

so you are saying you can't tell if the pixel's dead just from viewing web pages or watching dvds?

dukee152
  • dukee152

Thug

• Members

Posted 12 August 2013 - 01:56 AM

QUOTE (unc13bud @ Monday, Aug 12 2013, 00:25)
It is stuck because I am using undead pixel's pixel locator

so you are saying you can't tell if the pixel's dead just from viewing web pages or watching dvds?

the dead pixel locator just makes it more clear

Finn 7 five 11
  • Finn 7 five 11

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 August 2013 - 09:01 AM

There are programs that can fix stuck pixels by running colour through it. Try one of them.

Killerdude
  • Killerdude

And Remember, Respect is Everything!

• The Yardies
  • Canada

Posted 12 August 2013 - 09:50 AM

Don't wait to RMA it, you will run out the 30 day period and they won't give you a new one, If you plan on doing so, RMA it asap, because if you wait, you'll be stuck with a faulty screen and out a few hundred dollars.

dukee152
  • dukee152

Thug

• Members

Posted 13 August 2013 - 01:30 AM

QUOTE (Killerdude8 @ Monday, Aug 12 2013, 09:50)
Don't wait to RMA it, you will run out the 30 day period and they won't give you a new one, If you plan on doing so, RMA it asap, because if you wait, you'll be stuck with a faulty screen and out a few hundred dollars.

I get a one year manufacture warranty. I have 13 days to return this one.

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Administrator
  • Canada

Posted 13 August 2013 - 05:18 AM

Unless you buy something higher end, a stuck pixel is a standard pratfall. However, I'd reccomend getting a laptop that's at least 1680x1050 - then even if you end up with a stuck pixel, it'll be far harder to notice.

Edit - this is not to say, however, that you should let the assholes pawn off a flawed model on you. Keepi g returning it until you get one that works as promised.

Killerdude
  • Killerdude

And Remember, Respect is Everything!

• The Yardies
  • Canada

Posted 13 August 2013 - 09:59 AM

QUOTE (dukee152 @ Monday, Aug 12 2013, 19:30)
QUOTE (Killerdude8 @ Monday, Aug 12 2013, 09:50)

I get a one year manufacture warranty. I have 13 days to return this one.

Oh, ok, but still, it's best to return it asap, so you're not wasting your time trying to fix it.

unc13bud
  • unc13bud

I stay mad @ Rockstar

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 August 2013 - 02:03 AM

and both samsung and best buy got plenty of money. but other dude is right, now samsung so popular, their quality was bound to go down... buying a cheap samsung laptop is asking for trouble imo. and then you are kind of looking for trouble also (imo) going to websites to test the panel. i think i own about ten laptops with no dead pixels, even ibm thinkpad with pentium 100, but then again i didn't go looking for it
i am probably jinxing myself now

dukee152
  • dukee152

Thug

• Members

Posted 17 August 2013 - 06:56 AM

I went over to bestbuy today and returned my laptop. I got a new one I do not see a dead pixel but lets hope that one doesnt appear within the next few weeks. Also I went to a different bestbuy this time so lets hope that they got a good palet of these laptops.

unc13bud
  • unc13bud

I stay mad @ Rockstar

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 August 2013 - 02:42 PM

i forgot to add that at a suggestion, my bad. yeah, it probably is because of a bad batch. good luck!

dukee152
  • dukee152

Thug

• Members

Posted 18 August 2013 - 04:22 PM

QUOTE (unc13bud @ Sunday, Aug 18 2013, 14:42)
i forgot to add that at a suggestion, my bad. yeah, it probably is because of a bad batch. good luck!

yeah I went to the ohter bestbuy and the guys over there said that my bestbuy sucked and that even their manager hates dealing with them.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users