Quantcast

» «
Photo

So why is Tommy all drugged up or whatever...

25 replies to this topic
Vic 2.0
  • Vic 2.0

Rat

• Members

Posted 09 August 2013 - 02:17 AM

I just noticed this. In the GTA Wikia, it reads, "Poulet gives Tommy Vercetti mind-altering voodoo potions to get him to cooperate in the missions she wants him to undertake." So we know why he's out of it all the times he comes back to her. But if you pay attention to the cutscene when he meets her for the first time (for "Juju Scramble")... he sounds like he's already been drugged!

Did someone goof? Maybe they told Ray Liotta, "In all of your dialogue with Poulet, you have to sound drugged up" and so he did from the very start and no one caught it?

I've already ruled out the possibility that it wasn't originally his first job with her, as the dialogue between them begins with her saying "You must be the big bad man me grand daddy been chattin' 'bout. Tells me tings about you, you know, when he visits." (which is another "Huh?" moment for me because who the heck is her granddad and how does he know about Tommy any more than she does?).

Ah, the things you just don't care about the first few playthroughs. Too busy sitting on the edge of your seat waiting to hear the worst (and with her, it always is!)

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 09 August 2013 - 04:18 PM

Two theories.

1st. He could be drugged by the fumes from her kitchen.
2nd. Could be mistake made by Liotta.

I generally doesn't like these cutscenes where Tommy loses his badass attitude and acts like a slave. But well, I love this game so I can live with it.

Vic 2.0
  • Vic 2.0

Rat

• Members

Posted 09 August 2013 - 09:09 PM

QUOTE (Tycek @ Friday, Aug 9 2013, 16:18)
Two theories.

1st. He could be drugged by the fumes from her kitchen.
2nd. Could be mistake made by Liotta.

I generally doesn't like these cutscenes where Tommy loses his badass attitude and acts like a slave. But well, I love this game so I can live with it.

Hmmm, that may explain why there haven't been many replies, we don't want to remember those few times he wasn't a badass. But hey, no one's perfect. Not even Tommy *ducks for cover*

Seriously, that first theory could work, but it'd have to be some real strong stuff to mess him up that quick! Lol, he starts with the slurred "Helloooo?" right as he's walking in!

Vanzant
  • Vanzant

おっぱい 23V

• United-States

Posted 10 August 2013 - 12:23 PM

It's probably just the Voodoo running through him. lol

j7n
  • j7n

Buster

• Members

Posted 10 August 2013 - 12:43 PM

I cared about the Auntie Poulet strand on my first playthrough, because she had a disturbing amount of influence on people (like an old woman), and yet it didn't result in a confrontation to take her down, as usual in games (like the government who just continues to be).

Why did Tommy go to Auntie Poulet's home in the first place so that he could become affected by her drugs?

I as a player went there because I was told to at the Cuban cafe, which doesn't make sense either, because Cubans and Poulet were enemies.

Mar.K
  • Mar.K

Hitman

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 August 2013 - 12:52 PM

Yeah - I'd go for the "Auntie Poulet's kitchen fumes theory" too . tounge2.gif

Vic 2.0
  • Vic 2.0

Rat

• Members

Posted 10 August 2013 - 04:48 PM

QUOTE (j7n @ Saturday, Aug 10 2013, 12:43)
I cared about the Auntie Poulet strand on my first playthrough, because she had a disturbing amount of influence on people (like an old woman), and yet it didn't result in a confrontation to take her down, as usual in games (like the government who just continues to be).

Why did Tommy go to Auntie Poulet's home in the first place so that he could become affected by her drugs?

I as a player went there because I was told to at the Cuban cafe, which doesn't make sense either, because Cubans and Poulet were enemies.

Very true. They could've come up with some explanation. For example, the Cubans want Tommy to gather some inside info on the Haitians. They could make a cutscene where Umberto tells Tommy not to come back until he finds ____ out, and then another at the end of Poulet's last mission where he does just that.

That could also be used to explain Poulet's sudden insistence that Tommy not show his face around there anymore (She finds out he spied on or stole from her, etc.)

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 10 August 2013 - 05:23 PM

Auntie Poulet called his after Stunt Boat Challenge mission and ask him to come to her home. Either Tommy was just curious or wanted to start a gang war between them, which finally lead to destroying their factory. With weakened haitians and both cubans and bikers on his side Tommy seized control of the west island.

j7n
  • j7n

Buster

• Members

Posted 10 August 2013 - 05:27 PM

I like Vic's addition to the storyline.

thatstupidbug
  • thatstupidbug

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 10 August 2013 - 08:18 PM

QUOTE (Tycek @ Saturday, Aug 10 2013, 18:23)
Auntie Poulet called his after Stunt Boat Challenge mission and ask him to come to her home. Either Tommy was just curious or wanted to start a gang war between them, which finally lead to destroying their factory. With weakened haitians and both cubans and bikers on his side Tommy seized control of the west island.

If I remember right, Auntie Poulet calls tommy just after the FIRST mission done for the cubans. so Tommy is not totally into the cuban gang at the time, and it's possible that he's still trying to expand his connection in the city. But because some missions in vice city are playable in any order, it's possible to go to auntie after 2-3 missions for Umberto, making it looks like a plot hole. I think that if we do the first mission for Umberto, all the ones for the haitians and just then we come back to the Cubans, it makes a little more sense.

tyguy27
  • tyguy27

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 11 August 2013 - 04:06 AM

She actually did use voodoo magic to make him do the missions because tommy then goes and blows up the factory

Vic 2.0
  • Vic 2.0

Rat

• Members

Posted 11 August 2013 - 11:26 AM

QUOTE (tyguy27 @ Sunday, Aug 11 2013, 04:06)
She actually did use voodoo magic to make him do the missions because tommy then goes and blows up the factory

But neither the game nor the Wikia on Poulet mentions any other sort of voodoo magic. All it mentions is the "mind-altering voodoo potions". And why would she need these potions at all if she could just just do magic on him from far away?

I think it works well enough to say that he wouldn't have done the missions if he hadn't been drugged. I've no problem with that explanation. I'm just pointing out that he seems drugged before he even enters her house.

markusizr
  • markusizr

:D

• Members

Posted 18 August 2013 - 09:42 AM

she gave to him a de javu tea

Vic 2.0
  • Vic 2.0

Rat

• Members

Posted 19 August 2013 - 12:47 PM

QUOTE (markusizr @ Sunday, Aug 18 2013, 09:42)
she gave to him a de javu tea

Read the OP again. This thread is about the fact that he already sounds like a zombie before even meeting her the first time. Before she has the chance to give him the tea.

Arran B
  • Arran B

The '80s enthusiast.

• Members

Posted 21 August 2013 - 11:07 AM

Vice City is the most notorious game in my opinion for having loose ends that weren't and never will be tied up. As did GTA III with Love's Disappearance.

Our lord Steve Jobs
  • Our lord Steve Jobs

• Members

Posted 23 August 2013 - 07:45 PM

Because Tommy is friends with Cubans and Haitians are enemies of them. Poulet drugs him so he doesn't know what he's doing (killing his own gang). After the missions he goes back to normal and kills all the haitians.

Vic 2.0
  • Vic 2.0

Rat

• Members

Posted 23 August 2013 - 10:00 PM

QUOTE (FacebookStalkerJustKidding @ Friday, Aug 23 2013, 19:45)
Because Tommy is friends with Cubans and Haitians are enemies of them. Poulet drugs him so he doesn't know what he's doing (killing his own gang). After the missions he goes back to normal and kills all the haitians.

Again, that would only explain why he's drugged up all the times he comes back to her (She gives him the voodoo potion, the "tea", during each visit). But that doesn't explain why he's already out of it before he even meets her.

Quagmire123
  • Quagmire123

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 26 August 2013 - 10:35 PM

All it is, is a voice acting mistake that R* didn't notice.

TonyMontanaCDL
  • TonyMontanaCDL

Snitch

• Members

Posted 27 August 2013 - 12:02 AM

1. She gives him tea that drugs him

2. It's a video game anything can happen.

Zikomos
  • Zikomos

Wanted

• Members
  • South-Africa

Posted 27 August 2013 - 05:47 AM

I noticed this too and it's most likely a mistake on Rockstar's part. This was the fastest GTA they made (around 9 months) and it also contains a lot of "sloppy" work. For example, there are a lot of textures in the game that don't properly load. So I'm not entirely surprised to see this mistake in the cutscene. Still my favorite GTA though!

JustinGunnar
  • JustinGunnar

Claudette Speed

• Members

Posted 27 August 2013 - 06:45 AM

I always assumed she did voodoo on him and once he gets near her he becomes her brainsless little lapdog.

I<3GTAV
  • I<3GTAV

I LOVE GARY PAYTON NO ONE UNDERSTANDS

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:56 AM

It can't be a mistake, in later missions with her Tommy has memory issues and becomes brainwashed to do her work by the voodoo.

Zikomos
  • Zikomos

Wanted

• Members
  • South-Africa

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:02 PM

QUOTE (natethegreatforlife @ Tuesday, Aug 27 2013, 06:56)
It can't be a mistake, in later missions with her Tommy has memory issues and becomes brainwashed to do her work by the voodoo.

I don't think you know what we're discussing; read the first post again.

ED-E
  • ED-E

War. War never changes.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 27 August 2013 - 11:42 PM

It was most likely a mistake, I mean from the motion capture in the cutscene for the first mission he seems to be fully sober.
  • abccba123 likes this

Andreaz1
  • Andreaz1

♪ Anything 80's ♫

• Members
  • Sweden
  • Helpfulness Award

Posted 27 August 2013 - 11:54 PM

In Bombs Away! Tommy says "This place feels familiar to me, uh - it's - a smell from childhood - a deja vu...", so I was under the impression she was cooking something or burning something like incense or something like that and that it was the smell that got to him and not her tea. Either way I have never thought about it this way before. People have just started reading way too much into things in this game where there was never meant to be anything to begin with.

Vic 2.0
  • Vic 2.0

Rat

• Members

Posted 28 August 2013 - 12:50 AM

QUOTE (The_Sorrow @ Tuesday, Aug 27 2013, 23:42)
It was most likely a mistake, I mean from the motion capture in the cutscene for the first mission he seems to be fully sober.

Thank you for that contribution! I must admit I didn't notice whether Tommy was moving around differently in the first mission's cutscene as compared to all the others. This would certainly serve as evidence one way or another...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users