Quantcast

» «
Photo

American Horror Story

152 replies to this topic
meta187
  • meta187

Challenge Convention, Question Authority.

• Funny pics dealer
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [Gaming] 2013
    Best Member in a Group 2010
    Best Cluckin' Huge Meal 2015

Posted 06 October 2011 - 05:32 AM

user posted image

Starring

Connie Britton as Vivien Harmon
Dylan McDermott as Dr. Benjamin "Ben" Harmon
Evan Peters as Tate Langdon
Taissa Farmiga as Violet Harmon
Denis O'Hare as Larry (Russell Edgington, True Blood)
Jessica Lange as Constance
Frances Conroy as Moira
Alex Breckenridge as Young Moira
Jamie Brewer as Addy, Constance’s daughter
Zachary Quinto as Chad, the former owner of the house (Sylar, Heroes)

Series Premiere Recap

Official Website

QUOTE (Wiki)

American Horror Story is a dramatic television series created and produced by Ryan Murphy and Brad Falchuk. On July 18, 2011 it was reported that the project had been picked up to series by FX. It premiered on Wednesday, October 5, 2011. The story focuses on a family that moves to a decrepit mansion in Los Angeles, unaware that the once-noble home is haunted.

Critical reception

American Horror Story has received generally positive reviews from critics. The first season scored 63 out of 100 on Metacritic based on 12 reviews.[18]

Ken Tucker from Entertainment Weekly awarded the series a B+, stating "AHS is pretty much all scare, all the time: a whole lotta screams, sex, jolts, mashed faces, psychotic behavior, and dead babies." Chuck Barney of the San Jose Mercury News said "Most TV shows, after all, quickly fade from memory. This one will haunt your dreams." Hank Stuever from The Washington Post said in his review that "Overdoing things is one of Murphy's trademark flaws, but this show has a captivating style and giddy gross-outs." IGN TV's Matt Fowler said that the pilot episode was a lot of "style-over-substance" but also that it was "totally watchable" and a "haunting, subversive television experiment" that gleefully combined elements of The Shining, Amityville Horror and many other iconic films.

Often you hear the expression "surprise new hit series of the season" or some crap but in all honesty, this show was way more than I expected. Produced by the Co-Creators of Glee and Nip/Tuck, I wasn't sure what to think going in. The story is presented in a very jarring style that's very unnerving at points and completely original. Some things make sense, others don't exactly at first glance and you're sort of on guard at all times. No scene seems "safe" at all and you may find yourself a bit tense at points watching. FX has really taken some risks here with the adult content and level of violence being shown at certain junctures but this definitely feels like a very contemporary and fresh take on the whole American Gothic style of ghost story with an all star cast to boot. This show honestly sort of snuck up on me so I'd invite you to give it a watch as I feel it was definitely worth checking out and discussing.

user posted image

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Godfather

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Best Poster [Movies/TV] 2016
    Best Poster [Movies/TV] 2015
    Best Poster [Movies/TV] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Movies/TV] 2013

Posted 06 October 2011 - 05:35 AM

I wasn't going to watch this, because the commercials present you with images that are supposed to be disturbing, I'm guessing, but didn't strike me that way. But maybe I'll give it a try, now that I've heard a few people say it's better than they thought.

sonnyBlack
  • sonnyBlack

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 October 2011 - 06:13 AM

Because it had 'horror' in the title it caught my interest. However, thanks to forgetfulness, I seemed to have missed the premier. It's on right now too, but just my luck it's like half way through the pilot, so once again I'll have to miss out.

It is nice to see that it got positive reviews though. smile.gif I'll have to do some poking around so I can watch it.

meta187
  • meta187

• Funny pics dealer
  • None

Posted 06 October 2011 - 12:11 PM

For those who missed it, I noticed it had a listing on Hulu but the full episodes aren't availble just yet, keep your eye on the link over the next week or so.

http://www.hulu.com/...ry&st=0&fs=null

Also FX will probably re-air it at some point later this week.

Don Garcia
  • Don Garcia

Dolls Kill

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 06 October 2011 - 01:17 PM Edited by Don Garcia, 06 October 2011 - 01:28 PM.

I feel that this show will be cancelled shortly.

ed: I mean, who's the audience for this?

Voodoo
  • Voodoo

Cyclop have 9 years

• Unknown
  • Most Corrupt Staff 2016
    Most Corrupt Staff 2014

Posted 06 October 2011 - 01:30 PM

Waaaaaaay too much man-ass and the camera shake is seizure inducing but damn, Jessica Lange would still get it. It feels a little over done but I'll give it a few eps before I decide.

meta187
  • meta187

• Funny pics dealer
  • None

Posted 06 October 2011 - 05:05 PM

QUOTE (Don Garcia @ Thursday, Oct 6 2011, 13:17)
ed: I mean, who's the audience for this?

For whatever reason shows with supernatural themes have picked up majorly in popularity in the last decade, there's already a major demographic in place for it. Whether it will suceed or fail remains to be seen. I do think it is one of the better one's I've seen in the last year to be sure. Like Voodoo, I could see that changing in a few episodes as they've set a pretty breakneck pace already and have a lot to maintain if they want to hold on to people's attention. As far as first episodes go this was enough to make me want to watch again but I could see that going south if they don't stay consistant.

meta187
  • meta187

• Funny pics dealer
  • None

Posted 08 October 2011 - 04:53 AM Edited by meta187, 08 October 2011 - 04:59 AM.

Hate to double post but the full pilot is now availble to view here.

sonnyBlack
  • sonnyBlack

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 October 2011 - 03:11 AM

Well I'm all caught up in the series now, not that it was a major feat given there are just two episodes. It's not very scary or creepy for me, which leaves me a little disappointed. It's mainly disturbing and weird, the uniqueness behind it helps keep up my interest though. I'm still not sure if I really like the show just yet, but I am curious to see what unfolds next week. It manages to stay interesting nonetheless.

meta187
  • meta187

• Funny pics dealer
  • None

Posted 13 October 2011 - 12:28 PM

Yea, I enjoyed this 2nd episode well enough it continues to be "disturbing and weird" as you say. FX can take a lot of risks that the bigger networks can't with their content, so it still feels like they're pushing the envelope with each new episode.

Tate being the son of Constance probably should have felt more obvious to me but it makes a lot of other things fall in place and make sense about why he's hung around as he has, other than wanting to bang the daughter.

I feel like an absolute sh*t for admitting this but I kind of quietly laughed when Constance locked Addy in the closet.

Don Garcia
  • Don Garcia

Dolls Kill

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 13 October 2011 - 04:27 PM

I think I should start watching the show so you don't get lonely in here met.

meta187
  • meta187

• Funny pics dealer
  • None

Posted 13 October 2011 - 05:12 PM

QUOTE (Don Garcia @ Thursday, Oct 13 2011, 16:27)
I think I should start watching the show so you don't get lonely in here met.

I linked the first episode, two posts back.

Give it a chance, you may like it. Not the end of the world if ya don't. wink.gif

sonnyBlack
  • sonnyBlack

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 October 2011 - 03:10 AM

This week's episode was pretty good I thought.

I was kind of hoping towards the end that something would happen to Ben's mistress since her angry impulses and stuff made the character unlikable for me. Can't wait to see what unfolds next week.

This show's starting to grow on me more. smile.gif

meta187
  • meta187

• Funny pics dealer
  • None

Posted 20 October 2011 - 03:17 AM

You can tell the house itself really escalates people's bad emotions, whether it's stress, anger, sadness or lust - everything just seems amplified and over the top.

It seems like the house's history also just get's more and more effed up with each new episode as well.

Kinda sucks what happened with Ben's patient but I'm glad he didn't accidentally kill her while he was in his trance.

Three episodes in, still digging it. [/pun]

Rebel
  • Rebel

Woop Woop!

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Olympics
  • Contribution Award [Gaming]
    Best Bae 2015

Posted 22 October 2011 - 11:57 AM

Just watched the 3 episodes over the last couple days and well, I'm really enjoying it although I've not a f*cking clue what's going on in some of the scenes since they are pretty random at times. I think the Home Invasion was the best so far. I'm not quite sure on why Ben sees the maid like shes in her 20's, unlike his wife but I guess they will explain that later on?

Makes me want to know more about the house's history though. Apparently they are doing the Black Dahlia in the next episode or at least in this season.

meta187
  • meta187

• Funny pics dealer
  • None

Posted 28 October 2011 - 01:23 AM

SO much going on with this last episode, so much going on with the House.

This really reminds me of House on Haunted Hill or something as there's just several ghost stories and freaky details going on with the backstory of the house that you're heads left spinning trying to track it all.

I kinda felt bad about Addy getting hit by the car and I wonder if her mother pulled her on to the property in time to keep her there as a ghost.

Zachary Quinto is a pretty convincing queen, I'm kinda wondering now.

Also, for anyone who has missed these, you can now watch full episodes online here:

http://vod.fxnetworks.com/watch/ahs

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Godfather

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Best Poster [Movies/TV] 2016
    Best Poster [Movies/TV] 2015
    Best Poster [Movies/TV] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Movies/TV] 2013

Posted 28 October 2011 - 02:05 AM

I let my DVR build up a few of these episodes. What a creepy f*cking show. I love it.

meta187
  • meta187

• Funny pics dealer
  • None

Posted 28 October 2011 - 02:41 AM

QUOTE (darthYENIK @ Friday, Oct 28 2011, 02:05)
What a creepy f*cking show. I love it.

Yep, it's just a matter of giving it a chance and not jumping to any conclusions about how you think it is before you actually watch it.

DON!

Don Garcia
  • Don Garcia

Dolls Kill

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 29 October 2011 - 01:42 AM

user posted image
QUOTE (meta187 @ Thursday, Oct 27 2011, 22:41)
DON!

Alright, alright, keep your hot pants on. I just watched all four episodes today. I'm caught up. And, well.... I like this show. f*ck, I do. It's sick, it's batsh*t crazy, there seem to be no rules to any of it, but it's so delightfully insane. I really am enjoying it, and gorging on 4 episodes in one shot has been fun. It's gonna suck having to wait for it on a weekly basis now. But there's so much going on with the Cobain ghost, what's this kid's story?, the S&M demon, the hot/old maid, burned man, Jessica Lange and her baggage, etc. etc. et--motherf*cking-cetera that I can't turn away now.

Of all the questions I could ask, I'll rattle just one off. Is the maid actually saying that sexual stuff to Ben, or just as his man-horniness forces him to see her as young, does it also make him hear her say those things? The real ghost in the one Vivian sees, and that old ghost is not trying to f*ck anyone, right? But we did see her, as old, when she tried to get Ben's bone and the daughter saw.

It's all so f*cking weird. But ya met, I'm here now. And also, that doctor trying to sow his baby back together with pig parts. f*cking eww.

meta187
  • meta187

• Funny pics dealer
  • None

Posted 29 October 2011 - 08:28 PM

I think the show pushes just about as many envelopes as it can, it's a ridiculous funky car crash I can't look away from. There seems to be no rules for what the house can and can't do to a person which really keeps it interesting.

My wife kind of agrees with your theory that how the maid is seen by the husband may have more to do with the husband and how the house effects him than it always being directly intentional by the maid, still there is that little matter about her getting all up on him so it's hard to say.

meta187
  • meta187

• Funny pics dealer
  • None

Posted 03 November 2011 - 06:58 AM

With the main characters falling apart at the seams how is this show going to last I wonder. The family is officially split and there's still a ton of bad sh*t in the house to antagonize and possibly kill Vivien and Violet. There's also the whole demon spawn growing inside of Vivien to complicate things. I keep going back and forth on whether Tate is dead or not, it's weird he has no recollection of killing all of those high school kids . I'm wondering if Violet's going to look up his past in a yearbook now.

I have a soft spot for dogs I was genuinely distressed with that whole microwave thing.

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Administrator
  • Canada

Posted 03 November 2011 - 07:17 AM

I dunno. Just a little too try-hard for me... couldn't really get through the first episode with rolling my eyes every five f*cking seconds. I mean, really? People are still writing scenes where some gawky f*ck explains the "correct" way to slit your wrists? I was hoping that chestnut would fade away with Gen-exer's hairlines.

But seriously. Retards, creepy twins, sleepwalking.... It's all so f*cking derivative. Which would be OK if the show had any f*cking heart whatsoever, or made light of the fact that they're playing with well-trodden tropes.

Perhaps the mood just went right over my head, but Im not feeling this one.

meta187
  • meta187

• Funny pics dealer
  • None

Posted 03 November 2011 - 01:09 PM

Well it's certainly "derivative" as you say. I can cite a horror reference at every corner and it's a little over the top but the pacing seems to maintain throughout the episodes, so no real complaints just yet. To each their own, Ott etc etc. wink.gif

Don Garcia
  • Don Garcia

Dolls Kill

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 03 November 2011 - 04:54 PM

QUOTE (meta187 @ Thursday, Nov 3 2011, 02:58)
I keep going back and forth on whether Tate is dead or not

I thought we knew he was dead.

The only people who can do supernatural things in this show are the ghosts. And Tate turned into/summoned some deranged creature to terrorize that chick. And when Violet tried to grab him for some nookie at the beach, I assumed Tate said no because of some wierd ghost impotence. And the fact that the only time he would go outside of the house with Violet was on Halloween night when ghosts can go where they please. I've taken all that to mean he's dead.

And when that dead chick told him she should be 34 years old, I started thinking. They're high-schoolers. So, I guessed that she was, oh, 17 years old. So, 34 minus 17 equals 17. The show takes place in present-day. So, 2011 minus 17 years would bring us back to 1994. The year Kurt Cobain killed himself. So I'm thinking Tate was some hardcore Nirvana fan who lost his sh*t when Kurt offed himself, decided the world was terrible, shot people that he didn't hate, as he explained, and then probably killed himself. But I don't know why he wouldn't remember or if he's in some hardcore denial, or what.

meta187
  • meta187

• Funny pics dealer
  • None

Posted 03 November 2011 - 05:22 PM

QUOTE (Don Garcia @ Thursday, Nov 3 2011, 16:54)
And the fact that the only time he would go outside of the house with Violet was on Halloween night when ghosts can go where they please. I've taken all that to mean he's dead.

The only real snag in all of that, Tate being restricted to the house because he's a ghost thing is he met with Ben away from the house at a park an episode or two back for a session, it was that part where Ben got all emotional and sh*t talking about when he was younger. If not for that one part, I would very much think Tate was dead without a doubt.

Don Garcia
  • Don Garcia

Dolls Kill

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 03 November 2011 - 05:31 PM

Ah, ya, true, true.

Eh, I still think he's dead. Maybe he's a more powerful ghost or something. No clue with this show.

Rebel
  • Rebel

Woop Woop!

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Olympics
  • Contribution Award [Gaming]
    Best Bae 2015

Posted 04 November 2011 - 06:31 PM

Yeah I keep trying to decide if Tate is dead or not. You'll have all this sh*t showing he is dead then all of a sudden he'll be outside of the house like he was with Ben. I'd like to know more about the high school shootings I know we saw it right on the first episode of those flash backs. Actually come to think of it, wasn't Tate actually talking about going around shooting people in the face when he was first seeing Ben? Then he got those meds and now he can't remember sh*t? Or is that just some wild idea of mine, eh who knows.

I'm still kind of iffy on this show, I think what I don't really like is that they basically give away f*ck all explanation on these ''ghosts'' or why they are technically still in that house. One thing I wondered was why uh, Tates mother still dresses/has her house like its the freaking 50's or whatever time period. Are all 3 of them ghosts or what? Since I know Addy got ran over but, she was dead already?

Yeah I'm not sure who the f*ck is alive/dead at this point.

meta187
  • meta187

• Funny pics dealer
  • None

Posted 04 November 2011 - 10:39 PM

QUOTE (Rebel @ Friday, Nov 4 2011, 18:31)
Yeah I'm not sure who the f*ck is alive/dead at this point.

I think that's actually a big part of what the writers want you to question, to be honest.

I also think Addy and the mother are both alive though she did make one weird comment to Addy on one episode talking about how she gave "up the last 30 years of her life" to raise her. I'm not sure how old Addy is/was but I didn't peg her for a 30 year old. Some people with down syndrome appear younger and have child like mannerisms though so it's a tough call.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 06 November 2011 - 08:10 AM

Where it gets most confusing is someone sees a person aged and another sees the same person young. I believe the house has an evil history and invisible grasp on the people in and near it. I watched several episodes and it still makes ....well, not much sense.

How anyone can start watching it and get the story or feel they're getting "into it"? Leaves some doubt for sure. Like to see Jessica Lange, an MN native doing a major part in it. I watched the episodes leading up to and following the Halloween night. The Down Syndrome girl (Addy I assume as you noted) ^ was hit by a car, and then she's taken back by Jessica's character? Wouldn't the Emergency people insist she be taken to a hospital or morgue? Just one of many questions. I don't really follow who is a spectre or not, it seems that's something my sister's husband was wondering as well.

meta187
  • meta187

• Funny pics dealer
  • None

Posted 10 November 2011 - 02:46 PM Edited by meta187, 10 November 2011 - 06:16 PM.

Gotta say, though I was aware of Tate at some point shooting up his classmates, I wasn't a big fan of the opening. Fiction allows you to pull from a lot of different resources and situations but showing shooting victims hiding under tables, pissing themselves.. I don't know, it pushed a button as this show tends to do but the wrong one in this case. Columbine happened back in 1999 but I cringe to think of some unfortunate victim's parent or loved one watching that opening sequence.

The thing with Vivien eating all the raw organ meat and the brain was very wtf. I feel like they must be ritualistically prepping her in someway for the abomination living in her stomach or whatever.

So it's confirmed Tate is dead. However, that does leave the question as to how he met with Ben off property a few episodes back. Sloppy writing or is there something more to it?

The thing with the "Piggy" guy was...kind of funny and f*cked up all at once, felt like a huge punchline or something.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users