Photo

Glass Box Engine in GTA V?

6 replies to this topic
ttubridy
  • ttubridy

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 08 August 2013 - 05:28 PM

Now I can acknowledge that SimCity was rather disappointing as a whole, with the release debacle on PC and the major delay for MAC, but once you finally get a chance to sit down and play the game you can notice how amazing the Glass Box Engine is in regards to the pedestrians AI.

Now I'm not entirely sure whether that engine is strictly limited to Maxis or if Rockstar is capable of using it too, and if not I'm sure Rockstars capable of mimicking it in their own way, and if anything improve on it.

I believe it was in the huge information blast from the previews that it said how you could potentially see a pedestrian waiting at a bus stop in the morning, only to later see them working on a lawn in the afternoon. That sounded very similar to SimCity in my opinion. That kind of pedestrian AI and realism would really make GTA that much better and would really make the world feel alive.

What do you guys think? Do you think they have the Glass Box engine or something similar to it working the pedestrians in the game? Or do you think that its basically the same generic AI improvement in pedestrians like previous GTA games?

splintercell4eva
  • splintercell4eva

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 08 August 2013 - 05:36 PM

I don't think you're actually going to be able to purchase a cat in V and that really bums me out. I would like to have mittens to contrast chop.... The pedestrian AI upgrade is much needed and would be cool but I bet that it will be the same generic ped AI. Maybe we'll see improvements sometime in next gen gta games

Kevstyle
  • Kevstyle

True City Killers Crew Leader

• Members

Posted 08 August 2013 - 05:52 PM

Rockstar uses RAGE Engine (their own engine) so this thread is pointless...

I<3GTAV
  • I<3GTAV

I LOVE GARY PAYTON NO ONE UNDERSTANDS

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 08 August 2013 - 05:57 PM

I can't believe we waited 10 years for that piece of sh*t.

NYC PATROL
  • NYC PATROL

"Patrolling and Observing Forums Since 2005"

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 08 August 2013 - 06:00 PM

Rockstar said they have a 'dynamic state machine' where they have pedestrians doing different activities
to make everything feel more alive.

Example:

Pedestrians Fishing,Hiking,riding bikes, Landscapers etc.

Dope_0110
  • Dope_0110

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 08 August 2013 - 06:02 PM

AI will be generic as always. You will see workers spawn near their homes or bus stations in the morning and they will spawn in the fields working in the afternoon. But you won't be able to follow them.

As for the engine, it's a completely different thing. Sim City's engine was made to do one specific thing and that is a simulation of a city. GTA engine isn't made for that just like Sim City engine isn't made to have you drive, dive, walk around, have shootouts etc.. engines are made with the game in mind.

PHOENIXZERO
  • PHOENIXZERO

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 08 August 2013 - 06:03 PM

Pedestrian AI is basically non-existent in SimCity, okay it exists but it's so basic, rudimentary and flat out poor it might as well not... That "game" would have done well to have had a six month delay.

Why would Rockstar use an engine that's not only owned by a competitor but isn't even designed for the type of game GTA is?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users