Quantcast

» «
Photo

Is San Andreas the perfect location for GTA?

20 replies to this topic
Len Lfc
  • Len Lfc

N7

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 08 August 2013 - 04:24 PM

Is San Andreas the perfect location for GTA? & when will we reach the definitive versions of each city?

So, Is San Andreas the perfect setting for a GTA game? It has nearly everything, Sun, beaches, cities, countryside, deserts, oceans, It's just a beautiful place to set a game. I used to love NYC, I thought it was a great looking city, I liked the skyline, the buildings & the feel of the busy city, & loved LC in GTA III & later in GTA IV. But along came Vice City, & it was just gorgeous. It had the sun & the beaches & colour! I still deep down loved LC, because it felt like a more normal location as Vice City felt like GTA on holiday. But even after San Andreas came out & introduced the countryside & deserts I still loved Vice City more, & especially the busy streets of LC.

But since GTA V has been announced & we've seen a lot of the game, & I have grown up, I have come to fall in love the the setting of San Andreas / California (Visually, I've never been & so can't say what it would be like to actually live there). But it has everything, like I explained above. I know New York has countryside too, but it doesn't have the sun or the weather, or many beaches like LA does. Vice City is a lot better, but as far as I'm aware, it doesn't have a lot of countryside nearby, but rather swamps & marsh's, I'm not familiar with American Geography, but California definitely has a unique look & feel that I can sense just from the trailers & screens to GTA V. & the same goes for Cali, judging by what I see online, too.

Sure, you can scuba dive in LC or VC too, or even fly planes if they added that to a future LC set game. You can basically add everything you can do in GTA V to LC or VC, or even a new city altogether. But it doesn't have that San Andreas feel to it, which is why I believe that San Andreas is the perfect setting for a GTA game. I still thing the next GTA set in VC or back in LC, or somewhere new could be just as good or better, but I would still prefer the setting in LS/SA

& lastly, when, or do you ever think we'll see definitive versions of each city GTA is set in? As in, every time we return to a previous setting, it's been re imagined, or done better or properly. LC & LS for example. Granted it's only happened once for those cities. Eventually we'll get to a point where we can create cities so big it would become a little too boring to play around in, there would be too much & you'd get lost just like real big cities, so will we ever reach a point in many many years to come, where Rockstar feel they have created their perfect versions of a city? Or would they always reimagine it so it would always be new & fresh? What are your opinions?

Tl;rd - Is SA the best location geographically for a GTA game? & will we reach a point where the cities in games are perfect & would no longer be changed?

Anthonymrb
  • Anthonymrb

Collectors Edition

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 08 August 2013 - 04:24 PM

Los Santos*

arrowface10
  • arrowface10

The Protagonist

• BUSTED!

Posted 08 August 2013 - 04:25 PM

Honestly, it really is, it has a relaxed atmosphere, there are many places to explore, and so many activities to do.

TheDeaconBosco
  • TheDeaconBosco

A car so nice, they've named it twice

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 08 August 2013 - 04:26 PM Edited by Deacon Bosco, 08 August 2013 - 04:30 PM.

Blaine County**

But seriously, when it comes down to it, I'm actually very curious as to how R*'s take on the Countryside of the South or the Eastern Seaboard. I don't belive neither of these areas have been represenented in a video game before. Only then can we argue about which area has a better countryside.

Toshio_maxoS
  • Toshio_maxoS

Heisenberg's pal™

• Members
  • Red-Cross

Posted 08 August 2013 - 04:26 PM

QUOTE (Anthonymrb @ Thursday, Aug 8 2013, 16:24)
Los Santos*

San Andreas is the state of Los Santos and some other citys. Am I right? dozingoff.gif

Dope_0110
  • Dope_0110

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 08 August 2013 - 04:29 PM

The reason why they always re-imagined them so far is because earlier hardware didn't really give them the chance to make the cities look the way they wanted them to look.

I don't know if the size of the cities is going to keep growing or are they finally satisfied with them, but if it does they will re-imagine them again (though I would be perfectly satisfied if they remained at the current size which seems just perfect for games).

will we reach a point where the cities in games are perfect & would no longer be changed?

This is just silly, there can't be one perfect setting. First of all we would get tired of one location no matter how big and fun it may be and we want something different in the next game. And second reason is.. well there is no perfect location, there's just people's preferences.

josephene123
  • josephene123

No

• Members

Posted 08 August 2013 - 04:29 PM

This so much, which is why I actually think it's almost a shame that they didn't wait until next gen to do California again, would have been mindblowing. Of course, they could still do it, but it seems unlikely to me.

Len Lfc
  • Len Lfc

N7

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 08 August 2013 - 04:32 PM

QUOTE (maxoS @ Thursday, Aug 8 2013, 17:26)
Los Santos*

San Andreas is the state of Los Santos and some other citys. Am I right? dozingoff.gif

Yeah, that's why I didn't put Los Santos. I just mean the state of San Andreas, & any fictional / parody city Rockstar create from that state. San Fierro, Las Venturas, even maybe one day San Diego, who knows? It's just the variation the that particular state that I never knew existed until I really looked into it properly. Theres so many different places & it's not all just countryside or desert, it's all sorts of things. That's why I think it is a perfect setting, & it's only until GTA V that I've really come around to the idea of San Andreas / California being such a great place to visit, just to take in it's natural beauty.

73duster
  • 73duster

Ghetto Star

• BUSTED!

Posted 08 August 2013 - 04:33 PM

It IS the best location because it is by FAR the most diverse. It has everything except a snowy environment, which RDR has proven COULD have easily been added to the northern region of the map.

USAPatriot
  • USAPatriot

Media News Writer

• Members

Posted 08 August 2013 - 04:35 PM

Nice thread topic. Yeah, they have done a great job with the series and always improving. While San Andreas is a great location, one of my favorites, I think they could still find a region even more diverse that literally no one has explored. That region is North America's Pacific Northwest. It ranges from tall mountain peaks, ocean, rivers, lakes, densely forested wilderness, urban areas, small towns, and then over the high rugged mountain ranges you get semi-arid scrubland, grassland, and patches of desert and lots of farming. You would get every environmental biome if they did this from mountains, forests, desert, grassland, lots of water, and snow. It is all there environmentally and urban wise.

But I can't downplay how great ROCKSTAR makes their locations, even back on the PS2 days. The exploration in every game was great to the point that I would log in the play a game just to explore locations, read signs, and see the placement of buildings and how people would live in their city. They are great.

Masteur
  • Masteur

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 08 August 2013 - 04:39 PM

I really love San Andreas/Los Santos and I do, too, believe it's the best location for Grand Theft Auto. Solely for the fact it's much more diverse than Liberty City. Where else can we find gangster ghettos, sun soaked beaches, luxurious gated communities, expansive wilderness, soaring mountains, vast deserts, and hillbilly towns all in one general area? Well, SoCal of course!

With that said, I'd LOVE to see a re-imagined Vice City, and it's a little unfair to compare Vice City with the current versions of Liberty & Santos. Although with GTA VI (Or whatever the next installment is called), I hope we can revisit Vice City.

josephene123
  • josephene123

No

• Members

Posted 08 August 2013 - 04:40 PM

QUOTE (Len Lfc @ Thursday, Aug 8 2013, 16:32)
QUOTE (maxoS @ Thursday, Aug 8 2013, 17:26)
Los Santos*

Yeah, that's why I didn't put Los Santos. I just mean the state of San Andreas, & any fictional / parody city Rockstar create from that state. San Fierro, Las Venturas, even maybe one day San Diego, who knows? It's just the variation the that particular state that I never knew existed until I really looked into it properly. Theres so many different places & it's not all just countryside or desert, it's all sorts of things. That's why I think it is a perfect setting, & it's only until GTA V that I've really come around to the idea of San Andreas / California being such a great place to visit, just to take in it's natural beauty.

Would have been fantastic imo if they did Vice City for GTA V even though it'd likely be an inferior game to what we're getting now, and then recreated San Andreas with LV, SF and LS for next gen systems in GTA VI. I don't feel as though LV has enough diversity to have a game centered around the City annd SF doesn't have as much character as LS for me. I think although LV has so much potential it always has to come bundled with LS too for the diversity, but we're unlikely to see that now I guess

Frantz Fuchs
  • Frantz Fuchs

640509-040147

• Members

Posted 08 August 2013 - 04:42 PM

No, Vice City.

mickawes
  • mickawes

Peon

• Members

Posted 08 August 2013 - 04:43 PM

QUOTE (USAPatriot @ Thursday, Aug 8 2013, 18:35)
Nice thread topic. Yeah, they have done a great job with the series and always improving. While San Andreas is a great location, one of my favorites, I think they could still find a region even more diverse that literally no one has explored. That region is North America's Pacific Northwest. It ranges from tall mountain peaks, ocean, rivers, lakes, densely forested wilderness, urban areas, small towns, and then over the high rugged mountain ranges you get semi-arid scrubland, grassland, and patches of desert and lots of farming. You would get every environmental biome if they did this from mountains, forests, desert, grassland, lots of water, and snow. It is all there environmentally and urban wise.

But I can't downplay how great ROCKSTAR makes their locations, even back on the PS2 days. The exploration in every game was great to the point that I would log in the play a game just to explore locations, read signs, and see the placement of buildings and how people would live in their city. They are great.

icon14.gif
I felt in love with alan wake s setting.
It woild be great to see a gta there

Len Lfc
  • Len Lfc

N7

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 08 August 2013 - 04:51 PM

QUOTE (Dope_0110 @ Thursday, Aug 8 2013, 17:29)
The reason why they always re-imagined them so far is because earlier hardware didn't really give them the chance to make the cities look the way they wanted them to look.

I don't know if the size of the cities is going to keep growing or are they finally satisfied with them, but if it does they will re-imagine them again (though I would be perfectly satisfied if they remained at the current size which seems just perfect for games).

will we reach a point where the cities in games are perfect & would no longer be changed?

This is just silly, there can't be one perfect setting. First of all we would get tired of one location no matter how big and fun it may be and we want something different in the next game. And second reason is.. well there is no perfect location, there's just people's preferences.

I actually completely agree with you. But that's why I asked, I wanted to see other people's opinion on that too. I agree about the consoles limitations back then being why we get bigger & updated cities now, that's extremely obvious though. but my main point was the distant future. In 20 years+ Hopefully, GTA will still be a popular franchise then, & whoever is leading Rockstar games / Take Two will keep things as they are now. But you have to expect that eventually consoles & yes, PC's tounge.gif will eventually reach a level where they can literally create their ultimate GTA map, & not be bound by console limitations, that they have to lower the resolution or size to keep the frame rate steady. Eventually they will reach a stage where they can create a game that truly replicates a location, lets use Los Santos for example since it is the current setting for GTA V. Eventually they will be able to create a really large City, just like the real LA, AND have a large countryside & desert region, with small towns scattered throughout, & lakes, rivers, people to meet see & things to do. They will be able to do what they really wanted from the beginning.

In my mind, it would be great to have an online mode where we could travel between each city freely, like we all dream for & Rockstar have said is something they would like to do. But I just think it would be cool to have that ultimate version of each city, that was so good it would never need changing or updating. It would always remain the same from then on.

However the other side is something you mentioned yourself. Eventually you would get bored of a place, & so I guess a re imagining would help, but I just can't help but think would it really change much? The same location, just re imagined. & not to be made better, but because of the console generation, it would simply be different for no other reason but just to change things up. No graphical or hardware updates, just simple aesthetics.

KINGDW510
  • KINGDW510

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 10 August 2013 - 12:56 AM

I dont think you will see another game based only on vice city unless it's like a mobile game or something, vice city on ps2 had more to do with recreating scarface and the 80's setting then the actual city, gta 6 could either be northern san andreas with sf oakland other towns sacremento lake tahoe and reno, Northern Ca has a lot to offer for a gta game or they could just do the whole state and still include los santos and lv, but in my opinion on next gen and after seeing that game the crew, I'm pretty sure rockstar will want to top them and we will see the whole country sooner rather then later, Also GTA Onlline I really think it will be a stand alone game and they will add more cities and towns to it to make it an mmo

Vic 2.0
  • Vic 2.0

Rat

• Members

Posted 10 August 2013 - 01:24 PM

To be honest, I always wanted the opportunity to roll them all into one. When I'm playing one game, I tend to miss the others!

If they're not going to do that (and do it well), I'd prefer a new location every time from now on.

G D
  • G D

RED7 ineffable arts.

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 August 2013 - 01:41 PM

QUOTE (Vic 2.0 @ Saturday, Aug 10 2013, 17:24)
To be honest, I always wanted the opportunity to roll them all into one.  When I'm playing one game, I tend to miss the others!

If they're not going to do that (and do it well), I'd prefer a new location every time from now on.

They'll do that, eventually.

Somewhere down the road....

...As the last dramatic Grand Theft Auto.

godforgivesthelostdont
  • godforgivesthelostdont

Prankster

• Members

Posted 10 August 2013 - 07:45 PM

i would never want GTA to stick to a default location.

because i want the return to previous locations to be revolutionary as 4 was to 3 or how 5 is to SA.

MacAshford
  • MacAshford

/x/ lurker

• BUSTED!
  • United-Nations

Posted 10 August 2013 - 11:33 PM

Las Venturas has to be next, please R* wow.gif

DarrinPA
  • DarrinPA

Orange Grove Member

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 August 2013 - 11:33 PM

QUOTE (Len Lfc @ Thursday, Aug 8 2013, 11:24)
Is San Andreas the perfect location for GTA?

Yes, but setting other GTAs in different locations such as LC and VC helps us appreciate SA even more.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users