GTAV release

8 replies to this topic
Squidgyone
  • Squidgyone

Rat

• Members

Posted 08 August 2013 - 03:35 PM

Hi to all mods and admins.

I have a suggestion regarding the release of GTAV.
Would it be possible to limit posting in any part of this forum to certain members only for a set time before and after the release date.

I feel that this would help reduce the amount of spoilers and trolls around what is bound to be the busiest time this forum has seen.

Yes I am aware that I could just not visit the forums, but however I would also like to be kept up to date on any shall we call it "serious issues" if they should so arise.

I feel that not everyone on this forum is mature enough to control themselves and could potentially reveal serious game ending spoilers thus ruining a grand experience for the real fans.

Girish
  • Girish

• India

Posted 08 August 2013 - 04:38 PM

What you're suggesting is called flood control and we already have that in place. Newly registered members have to wait for 600 seconds every time they make a new post. After a certain amount of posts, the flood control gets reduced to 60 seconds.

However, this is still not a fool-proof method to control the trolls who register just to spoil the game for everyone else. The staff will do their best to clean up the forums but if you happen to chance upon a spoiler, there's nothing we can do about it. It's a risk that you'll have to take if you don't wish to abandon the forum.

radioman
  • radioman

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 08 August 2013 - 04:53 PM

To add to what Girish said, all you have to do is look at the topic titles and if you see one that looks like it may contain spoilers, just do not go into that topic..Simple as that..This works most of the time, however, it is not completely fool proof...

Squidgyone
  • Squidgyone

Rat

• Members

Posted 10 August 2013 - 12:17 PM

Sorry i didn't quite make what i was meaning clear enough (My fault).

What i was meaning was a total lock out on any posting apart from Mods, Led bys, Admins and possibly verified members for a certain time to reduce the chance of spoilers.

Yes I am aware that anyone can just not visit the forum which i wont be cos ill be playing the game.
This was merely a suggestion for anyone visiting here for the first time or to try to elimanate the constant trolling/possible serious spoilers in the V section ATM

Shoumic
  • Shoumic

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 10 August 2013 - 12:44 PM Edited by shoumic, 10 August 2013 - 12:47 PM.

QUOTE (Squidgyone @ Saturday, Aug 10 2013, 18:17)
What i was meaning was a total lock out on any posting apart from Mods, Led bys, Admins and possibly verified members for a certain time to reduce the chance of spoilers.

What you're suggesting is that we temp ban ones posting rights at the V section for an issue that isn't so serious. Implementing this idea would result in forum activity in the V section taking a massive hit as you wont find many 'verified' members and the only Moderator that really discusses with the fans is Miamivicecity.

There's a reason why the V section has so many moderators now and they will do their best to remove topics that contain spoilers. The better solution isn't to lock out posting from certain members. That's way too complicated and it will never work out. A better solution is for you to simply not visit the section till you're done with the game. Like Girish said there really isn't a fool-proof method to control the trolls.

Squidgyone
  • Squidgyone

Rat

• Members

Posted 10 August 2013 - 01:10 PM

Fair point Shoumic and i myself wont be visiting for the weeks leading up to release and until i finish the story.

IIRC a complete lockdown has been done in the past when there was a "Forum war" between this forum and another one, please correct me if i'm wrong but i believe it was around the San andreas days.

This was only a suggestion to try reduce spam/slash spoilers.

Yes the moderators will do there best however I would hope that they would be playing the game rather than be watching these forums for a few hours or days around release.

GTA564
  • GTA564

gta>

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 August 2013 - 11:49 PM Edited by GTA564, 20 August 2013 - 11:16 PM.

I have a suggestion for spoilers detection system
Well the highlighted text in the picture has been marked as spoilers in the title but it's just an example, any title that will contain
spoilers or the content of the topic will contain spoilers will be highlighted in color & The title will be covered in black - if the forum
members decide that it spoiler By clicking on the -S Button- Only users who registered more than two months will be able to vote - voting will be approved only after 5 votes
user posted image

D4 Damager
  • D4 Damager

Listening to the Mandolin Rain...

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 August 2013 - 02:04 AM

Those topics have [SPOILER] in the title anyway so your suggestion seems a little bit unnecessary as it merely confirms the obvious.

Plus they would require heavy editing of the forum code by admins, and since everybody knows that the server is held together with pieces of sticky tape and old chewing gum that could be rather problematic.

King Andreas
  • King Andreas

(_)

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 August 2013 - 10:15 AM

The cascade of "anti-spoiler" posts recently are just as obnoxious as the so-called "trolls" you speak of. Browsing the internet (not to mention GTAForums) and griping about spoilers amounts to the absurdity of going to an auto repair shop and griping about the stench of gas.

Before I played San Andreas, I read the storyline; before I played Vice City, I exposed myself to no spoilers. The results: I liked San Andreas much more. Surprise, surprise?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users