Photo

Graphics Look Bad? 360

13 replies to this topic
Anthonymrb
  • Anthonymrb

Collectors Edition

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 08 August 2013 - 02:36 PM Edited by Anthonymrb, 09 August 2013 - 04:54 PM.

I finally put this game in after a long time of not playing it, and it looks terrible. I am not sure why? The shadows are VERY blurry and textured. Anyone know why that may be the case?

Sorry for lack of information. Here is my setup. When I had GTA before (different 360, different TV) it had no problems.

Xbox 360 Slim
LED LCD HD TV 47"
Using HDMI port
Setting is set to HD

PIC of shadows: http://www.flickr.co...in/photostream/

PhilosophicalZebra
  • PhilosophicalZebra

Eh.

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 08 August 2013 - 02:55 PM

QUOTE (Anthonymrb @ Thursday, Aug 8 2013, 14:36)
I finally put this game in after a long time of not playing it, and it looks terrible. I am not sure why? The shadows are VERY blurry and textured. Anyone know why that may be the case?

Do you have an HDMI cable?

Anthonymrb
  • Anthonymrb

Collectors Edition

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 08 August 2013 - 04:35 PM

Yes I do

Fuc-tuo
  • Fuc-tuo

we're bouncing now?

• Members
  • England

Posted 08 August 2013 - 04:38 PM

have you set the hd settings on the xbox?

Anthonymrb
  • Anthonymrb

Collectors Edition

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 08 August 2013 - 07:40 PM

QUOTE (wolfy boy @ Thursday, Aug 8 2013, 16:38)
have you set the hd settings on the xbox?

Yes. Every other game looks fine. Just this one, the shadows are blurred and pixilated.

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 08 August 2013 - 07:56 PM

Is your game installed on the disk and do you have latest patches?

radioman
  • radioman

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 08 August 2013 - 08:03 PM

QUOTE (Tycek @ Thursday, Aug 8 2013, 14:56)

Um, the 360 version does NOT have any patches as far as I know?

on topic, the Console versions always look worse than the PC versions, mostly cause PC's have higher end processors and Video cards than that of the consoles(this is for PS2, PS3, and 360)..

However, you failed to mention what kind of TV you have the 360 connected to-that makes a difference too-ie. Tube tv, LCD, Plasma, etc.?

gtamad8
  • gtamad8

The Miracle

• Members

Posted 08 August 2013 - 08:13 PM

Maybe that's how it's always looked but now you've seen GTA V this one just looks extremely sh*tty.

No but it might be your disc drive, it could possibly be that some sort of problems stopping it from reading discs properly, only reading a bit of data to load the models but not the full thing.

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 08 August 2013 - 08:17 PM

It would be great if you could do picture of the issue and show us.

PhilosophicalZebra
  • PhilosophicalZebra

Eh.

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 08 August 2013 - 08:46 PM

Yep. A picture speaks a thousand words.

Nem Wan
  • Nem Wan

The Artist Formerly Known As Magic_Al

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 09 August 2013 - 12:33 AM

I had a recent discovery in fiddling with my settings that my old TV has a poorly documented "PC mode" and finding this was key to making GTAIV look better. This is very important with the 360 version of GTA IV for picture quality because GTA IV has extreme light and shadow that gets crushed unless you can use all 256 levels of brightness of RGB video. The wrong settings give you only 235 levels of brightness and that's why shadows and highlights look terrible.

What you want is to be able to set HDMI Color Space to RGB and Reference Levels to Expanded and not have it look like sh*t. It will look like sh*t unless your TV goes into "PC mode" which means it is accepting the RGB color range and not the more limited color range of standard video. It does NOT automatically accept RGB just because you set the 360 HDMI Color Space to RGB. You have to force the TV into PC mode on its own. If you're lucky your TV lets you select PC mode from a menu and you're all set. If you're not lucky you have to discover the trick. The trick on mine was setting the display resolution on the 360 to 1024x768 instead of 720p or 1080i. Because 720p or 1080i are "TV" resolutions the TV will only show a signal coming in at those resolutions with the reduced color space. But 1024x768 is a "PC" resolution and choosing this forces my TV to put the entire image in view (no overscan) and use RGB color just like a PC monitor. Using Expanded reference levels then, oh my god, it's amazing how smooth and dreamlike the color of GTAIV is now. Nothing is washed out. The only drawback, in my case, is some loss of horizontal resolution because I've got 1024 pixels across instead of 1280 (and it is set to widescreen so these are 16x9 pixels not square), but I've still got plenty of vertical lines and it looks good. A newer TV might have more flexible "PC mode" settings but my old plasma has a native resolution of 1024x768 so this is the best I can do with this screen.

Anthonymrb
  • Anthonymrb

Collectors Edition

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 09 August 2013 - 04:54 PM

Updated the OP with stats and a pic of how the shadows look! Thanks for all the answers guys smile.gif I supplied more info, as requested

TehTacoGuy
  • TehTacoGuy

Half taco, half human.

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 10 August 2013 - 04:06 PM

QUOTE (radioman @ Friday, Aug 9 2013, 04:03)
QUOTE (Tycek @ Thursday, Aug 8 2013, 14:56)

Um, the 360 version does NOT have any patches as far as I know?

on topic, the Console versions always look worse than the PC versions, mostly cause PC's have higher end processors and Video cards than that of the consoles(this is for PS2, PS3, and 360)..

However, you failed to mention what kind of TV you have the 360 connected to-that makes a difference too-ie. Tube tv, LCD, Plasma, etc.?

Both consoles have patches. On 360 they're known as TUs or Title Updates. There's been about 8 updates for it on X360.

Gunde
  • Gunde

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 15 August 2013 - 08:08 AM

No amount of bad or wrong connections is gonna just cause bad shadows. It's gonna affect the resolution of the entire game or the colors/contrast.
This is just the way the game looks dude. It's old and have always had bad shadows.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users