SmartGlass for GTA V?

22 replies to this topic
Anthonymrb
  • Anthonymrb

Collectors Edition

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 08 August 2013 - 01:03 PM

Not sure if PS3 has the same kind of smart glass features as Xbox 360 does. Anyone think Smart Glass will be implemented? Maybe to show you a larger map rather than the small one in the corner? Maybe showing your real time stats? Would be really cool to see the whole map on my tablet rather than the small map in the corner. I could see potential with it! Anyone agree?

Ps: sorry for any spelling problems. I'm on my Microsoft Surface lol

6.3 AMG
  • 6.3 AMG

V8 Fetishist

• Members

Posted 08 August 2013 - 01:05 PM

Just like with Kinect: I doubt it.

Echolex
  • Echolex

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 08 August 2013 - 01:06 PM

Yeah, no.

There's no need for it.

Ragnar86
  • Ragnar86

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 08 August 2013 - 01:06 PM

I like the idea of that, saves having to pause the game to look at the map in bigger scale

StellarFish20
  • StellarFish20

Pow.

• Members

Posted 08 August 2013 - 01:08 PM

I would love a Smartglass feature on GTA V.

If it showed a map, you could almost use it as a Sat Nav - Setting waypoints, viewing routes, etc.
It could include some features that IV's pause menu included: Stats, Settings, Map.

I definitely see potential in it.

If not on V, it's got to be in R*'s mind for next gen, what with all the emphasis on the second screen experience. (Sony - PS Vita, Microsoft - Smartglass)

ItsClipZz
  • ItsClipZz

Trick

• Members

Posted 08 August 2013 - 02:12 PM

nope, it wont be a feature, until / if , they release a next gen version, then i think your bang on the money

lsmithy88
  • lsmithy88

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 08 August 2013 - 03:56 PM

Maybe making "calls" between characters through phone would work

Jedi Master Tom
  • Jedi Master Tom

Be with you, the Force may

• Members

Posted 09 August 2013 - 03:23 AM

It seems to me that Microsoft has been talking about Smart Glass and all of its amazing features for a while now, yet I haven't played or even heard of any games that use it in a meaningful way. I use it on Halo from time to time, mainly to check out my stats. That's all you can really so with it. But still, it's probably the only game I own that even has a smartglass feature at all.

But since Microsoft has been pushing this technology so hard, and Rockstar has been working on this game for so long, I basically expect to see this used. I own a tablet and would highly enjoy a second screen to display my stats, view the map and set waypoints, check in with the social club to see what my crew is up to, ect. If they do end up doing nothing with Smart Glass, I won't be too disappointed. I mean, I've been gaming my whole life without all of these "second screen experience" gimmicks, and I am okay with the old fashioned pause menu.

wwinterj
  • wwinterj

Boss

• Members

Posted 09 August 2013 - 04:17 AM

QUOTE (Anthonymrb @ Thursday, Aug 8 2013, 14:03)
Would be really cool to see the whole map on my tablet rather than the small map in the corner.

Pro tip: Press pause and go to map to see a bigger version and/or look at the map provided in the box with your game. I honestly hate all this tablet sh*t. I don't want to take my eyes off the screen to view something on a second screen when I'm playing a game. I think tablets are crap in general so I guess I'm biased in the fact I don't want them near the games I play.

Talib
  • Talib

ज्ञान Talib

• BUSTED!

Posted 09 August 2013 - 04:53 AM

no no no no no no no no NOOO!!!

SaintJimmy
  • SaintJimmy

On a drug called Martin Sheen

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 09 August 2013 - 04:58 AM

I recently got smartglass for my Android phone, checked out its compatibility with Halo 4 and Horizon. The GPS feature for Horizon is particularly impressive.
Although the first thought that came into my head was the idea of having some sort of compatibility with V.
The most realistic way of involving it I thought would be using your in-game phone on your real phone/tablet. Pretty nifty if they threw that in there.

PHOENIXZERO
  • PHOENIXZERO

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 09 August 2013 - 07:10 AM

Zero chance.

Next generation maybe and yeah it's doable on the Sony side as well, despite the marketing the only thing that's exclusive to Microsoft is the name.

blakeney
  • blakeney

⚖☮▲

• Members

Posted 09 August 2013 - 08:02 AM Edited by blakeney, 09 August 2013 - 08:11 AM.

QUOTE (Jedi Master Tom @ Friday, Aug 9 2013, 03:23)
It seems to me that Microsoft has been talking about Smart Glass and all of its amazing features for a while now, yet I haven't played or even heard of any games that use it in a meaningful way. I use it on Halo from time to time, mainly to check out my stats. That's all you can really so with it. But still, it's probably the only game I own that even has a smartglass feature at all.

But since Microsoft has been pushing this technology so hard, and Rockstar has been working on this game for so long, I basically expect to see this used. I own a tablet and would highly enjoy a second screen to display my stats, view the map and set waypoints, check in with the social club to see what my crew is up to, ect. If they do end up doing nothing with Smart Glass, I won't be too disappointed. I mean, I've been gaming my whole life without all of these "second screen experience" gimmicks, and I am okay with the old fashioned pause menu.

I think things like Smart Glass will really only start to become more "Household" once PS4/Xbone are out.

*Edit* To elaborate... I agree with you, and am the same with all the "gimmicks" that come along... we have seen it all... Super Scope on the Snes.. Barcode Battler... Time Crisis gun... And most have been bad.. not shockingly bad though, because it was obvious they would be bad/ pointless (Wii style motion control!). Other then Commander Mode for BF4 (which can be done from any phone or tablet anyway), I have a feeling Smartglass will be in the bad/pointless camp, by "Household" I just mean the sheep will support and buy it en-masse then defend their buy with sayings such as "Yeah well I know how to put the FUN back into gaming you boring old sod" and "In 5 years time we will be just using the Smartglass and there will be no need to up date because of some dashboard hard wear (sic) jiggerypockery" (how many fools chat that< sh*t every new console launch?? tounge.gif ).

triggerking135
  • triggerking135

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 26 August 2013 - 09:15 PM

Hi! First of all I'm new to this forum so hello everyone!

I've been reading this thread and personally I'd love to see an option to use smart glass with gtav.

One of the objections that people have towards this is "why would I want to look away from my main screen when everything I need is there?"

But then with GTA it's not all on the screen, 100% of the time. To really use the map, the game needs to be paused. There's no way around it. In GTAIV you have to bring up the phone from the bottom right of your screen to use it. Depending on your controller setup, for me at least, with the phone up on screen this had an effect on driving controls (if I remember correctly it stopped handbrake from working on one of the two buttons I could use. Just happened to be the button I favoured).

Having a map on a tablet would be great. Yeah the paper one you get with the game is handy and a nice touch but it's not anywhere near as detailed as the in-game map when zoomed in. A map on a tablet would solve this. (Plus if you get lost as often as I do then the paper one will end up in tatters eventually through overuse).
This link takes you to an ideal example of the why this already works for many gamers compared to paper. It has filters for different items, places, etc and zoom. http://www.gta4.net/map/
I constantly had this web page up and running on my tablet whilst gaming. The only downfall was that it wasn't linked to the console. So once I found where I was headed on the tablet, I'd still need to pause the game, open the map from the game menu, find the same place again on this map, then set my sav-nav. If this was smart glass then at least three steps could've been avoided (including have to pause and interrupt the game in the first place).

Smartglass HAS TO remain optional for now at least. But there are definitely gamers out there like me who would gain from it being introduced into gta.

sharpshooter_08
  • sharpshooter_08

Eroding...Eroding..ewwwee This is Bruce Nolan back to you f*cker

• Members

Posted 26 August 2013 - 09:15 PM

tounge.gif tounge.gif tounge.gif

Ibrahimhassounah
  • Ibrahimhassounah

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 26 August 2013 - 09:24 PM

QUOTE (lsmithy88 @ Thursday, Aug 8 2013, 15:56)
Maybe making "calls" between characters through phone would work

Dead Rising 3 is doing this idea

QUANTRELBISHOP
  • QUANTRELBISHOP

Shut up, sit down, relax.

• BUSTED!

Posted 26 August 2013 - 09:31 PM

For saints row? : YES For Grand Theft Auto? : NO We don't need sh*tty gimmicks

twigs2001
  • twigs2001

Homie

• Members

Posted 26 August 2013 - 09:45 PM

Hate these smart glass features, ruining games by having the devs focus on something else.

theo1143
  • theo1143

Player Hater

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 14 February 2014 - 10:04 PM Edited by theo1143, 14 February 2014 - 10:05 PM.

while i do like the idea to have a world map on the smart-glass as well as the smartphone options in the game.
i don't think that it is gonna happen any time soon. also on the Xbox one as-well.
Microsoft does have this future for a long time already.
and so far not more then 7 games have a future like it.
it would solve a lot of problems. like getting shoot while searching a mission to play.
or anything similar like that. (when you have your eyes on the pause screen. Trevors will be all around you!)
and just simply putting way-points down would be going a lot faster.
normal you can't drive and look on your start menu, whit this you can.
i don't see any bad sides to the smart-glass at all. and that is mainly because every pc whit windows 8 can run it to.

smart-glass.png

Loxley
  • Loxley

This member is no longer active.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 15 February 2014 - 05:26 AM

QUOTE (Jedi Master Tom @ Friday, Aug 9 2013, 03:23) It seems to me that Microsoft has been talking about Smart Glass and all of its amazing features for a while now, yet I haven't played or even heard of any games that use it in a meaningful way. I use it on Halo from time to time, mainly to check out my stats. That's all you can really so with it. But still, it's probably the only game I own that even has a smartglass feature at all.

I think things like Smart Glass will really only start to become more "Household" once PS4/Xbone are out.

*Edit* To elaborate... I agree with you, and am the same with all the "gimmicks" that come along... we have seen it all... Super Scope on the Snes.. Barcode Battler... Time Crisis gun... And most have been bad.. not shockingly bad though, because it was obvious they would be bad/ pointless (Wii style motion control!). Other then Commander Mode for BF4 (which can be done from any phone or tablet anyway), I have a feeling Smartglass will be in the bad/pointless camp, by "Household" I just mean the sheep will support and buy it en-masse then defend their buy with sayings such as "Yeah well I know how to put the FUN back into gaming you boring old sod" and "In 5 years time we will be just using the Smartglass and there will be no need to up date because of some dashboard hard wear (sic) jiggerypockery" (how many fools chat that< sh*t every new console launch?? tounge.gif).

Those "gimmicks" you list are all the same thing though. They're called lightguns, and they for certain weren't a flash in the pan gimmick. Games used them for about 15-20 years until crts started to phasing out to lcds.

Smart glass tablets aren't a type of controller, it serves the purpose of making things less cluttered on the screen and easier to access. Games that have an inventory feature (i,e Skyrim or to a lesser extent GTAO) could be streamlined substantially by adding this feature. So, I don't see how lightguns are the same as tablets.

high91
  • high91

Eminem- Infinite-1996-313

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 15 February 2014 - 07:26 AM

NO!

What happened to enjoying a game and not relying on bloody TECHNIOLOGY to ''make the game more immersive''

Its bad enough they release IFRUIT on IPOO and CONDROID and left pc out but we can access social club on our PC's.

Technology and the fact that companys want to harvest your data is what is ruining gaming very slowly

Next we will have to tell the game maker how smelly our sh*t was last night to gain access to the campaign.

I miss having privacy and this whole google glass shizz is going to crumble peoples lives of privacy.

So to summarize...No I dont want stupid spying technology to know what im eating while I cruise around Los Santos.

Im getting p*ssed off with my ANDROID as all the apps want stupid f*cking access to my camera and mic...ERMMMMM NOOOOO!

Soon we wont be able w*nk without them knowing first :( I hate this world sometimes. rant over.

Ezza.
  • Ezza.

It's a Massacromance

• Members
  • Australia
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 15 February 2014 - 07:40 AM

With the cloud servers now, you'd probably have finished playing when it starts to sync

• theo1143 likes this

theo1143
  • theo1143

Player Hater

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 15 February 2014 - 07:34 PM

NO!

What happened to enjoying a game and not relying on bloody TECHNIOLOGY to ''make the game more immersive''

Its bad enough they release IFRUIT on IPOO and CONDROID and left pc out but we can access social club on our PC's.

Technology and the fact that companys want to harvest your data is what is ruining gaming very slowly

Next we will have to tell the game maker how smelly our sh*t was last night to gain access to the campaign.

I miss having privacy and this whole google glass shizz is going to crumble peoples lives of privacy.

So to summarize...No I dont want stupid spying technology to know what im eating while I cruise around Los Santos.

Im getting p*ssed off with my ANDROID as all the apps want stupid f*cking access to my camera and mic...ERMMMMM NOOOOO!

Soon we wont be able w*nk without them knowing first :( I hate this world sometimes. rant over.

Microsoft owns BING search engine. not google... while the Smart Glass has been made by Microsoft.

IFRUIT is still accessible via every laptop/pc. and Smart Glass is accessible from every PC with a windows. <(that whitout a app unlike IFRUIT)

The point of having this in a game is about not being forced to use it. Cus you got your freedom if you do wanna use it or not.

It doesn't change gameplay. It doesn't give anyone a advantage over someone els who is not using it.

But that person who is using it has a lot lesser problems whit the people who cause the problems while your on pause...

i don't see any of your reasons valid.

On the otherside...

With the cloud servers now, you'd probably have finished playing when it starts to sync

true that. might be the reason why they still leave it out of it. you know Microsoft there clouds... 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users