road lanes

10 replies to this topic
confederatestatesgta
  • confederatestatesgta

rebel

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 06 August 2013 - 04:18 AM

i was just playing gta 4 and was driving and noticed that the lanes are huge compared to my car which was a sentinal. so i got out and drove another car a esperanto same thing then i just looked at other cars that were driving and it was still big and i thought they could fit 2 cars. does anyone else notice it? i thought it was abit unrealistic.

ddyoung
  • ddyoung

Get freaky... Not that freaky

• Members
  • England

Posted 06 August 2013 - 05:37 AM

Compared to some streets in NYC, the roads are really wide, on others, they seems about right. What you have to keep in mind is that there's nowhere near as much traffic in LC as in NYC. In real life, you can never see the curb because of all the cars.

RoadRunner71
  • RoadRunner71

Try to Run, Try to Hide

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 August 2013 - 08:45 AM

In addition to the above stated, in real life there are cars parked in the sides of the road while in GTA IV they are empty.

confederatestatesgta
  • confederatestatesgta

rebel

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 06 August 2013 - 02:52 PM

ok thanks ive never been to new york but i want to go

Yolo Swaggins
  • Yolo Swaggins

Broadcasting live from my mom's basement.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 August 2013 - 04:31 PM

Highway lanes tend to be very wide. I think the regular street lanes were widened to make it easier to weave through traffic.

GTAnian
  • GTAnian

Rat

• Members
  • England

Posted 01 September 2013 - 10:18 AM

Also motorways like Plumber's Skyway and the one between the airport and Algonquin Bridge are always 2 lanes each way, there are never any 3 lane sections which does seem unusual for such major roads.

Kwandilibro
  • Kwandilibro

Be eye itch.

• Members

Posted 06 September 2013 - 12:56 PM

Yeah the lanes were too wide and there were too few. Then again, I don't think there's ever been more than a 4 lane road in GTA, not until V anyway.

Nem Wan
  • Nem Wan

The Artist Formerly Known As Magic_Al

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 September 2013 - 01:09 PM

This was studied a lot as a way to compare map sizes between GTA games. Rockstar doesn't base the lane width on real life but on gameplay needs, such as not making streets too difficult for AI traffic.

GTA3 through San Andreas have a lane width of 5m on most streets. This is not enough width for cars to park by the curb without AI traffic getting jammed, so in GTAIV the lane width was increased to 6m. You can still find some 5m lanes such as on the Broker Bridge where you'll note there isn't room to park.

Money Over Bullshit
  • Money Over Bullshit

Mack Militant

• Members
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [GTA Series] 2010
    Best Concept Story 2010 "The Code of The Streets"

Posted 06 September 2013 - 01:30 PM

I don't know about NYC but in the UK and Ireland the roads are wide enough for two cars to allow for overtaking. I would imagine the roads in Brooklyn, Queens and the Bronx would be the same and they'd no doubt be the same in Jersey with all those SUVs they drive over there.

DAWeeE1
  • DAWeeE1

Peon

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 06 September 2013 - 02:46 PM

I'd imagine this was simply for gameplay reasons - more lanes would mean more cars to render as long as they didn't want it to look ridiculous.

GTAnian
  • GTAnian

Rat

• Members
  • England

Posted 06 September 2013 - 07:24 PM Edited by GTAnian, 06 September 2013 - 07:26 PM.

Test Drive Unlimited had a 5 lane (each way) motorway, so more than 2 lanes is possible, probably more lanes would make it harder for the LCPD to set up roadblocks.

There is a bit of 'hard shoulder' you can use on the Algonquin - Dukes Expressway, so it you need to escape the LCPD, you can use that as a 3rd lane.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users