will spec requirements for PC make a jump

12 replies to this topic
iNero
  • iNero

Black Tiger Sex Machine

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 04 August 2013 - 09:44 AM

When cross gen games are no more, will the required specs for games will increase?

Atm everyone says that current Gen holds back PC which is true in some ways. Now with Next Gen the Games should actually become more advanced pretty quickly which makes then require more ressources obviously.

Thats probably something to think about when getting a new rig. ( Im getting one along with PS4)
I guess like 4GB RAM GPUs instead of 2. For example, Killzone in the first showcase used 3.5 GB of the PS4s RAM only for Textures. Only 1.5 for the CPU.
People atm say that 2 GB VRAM for GPUs is fine atm. But I think we can see some jumps pretty soon. Especially for next gen-only games.

Mr. Sleepy
  • Mr. Sleepy

Infamous

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 04 August 2013 - 09:59 AM

Consoles are still behind PCs. I don't think we'll have to advance that much with our PC specs in the future.

friendly luggage
  • friendly luggage

Foot Soldier

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 04 August 2013 - 10:00 AM

I imagine a jump of some sort such as that you'll need a DX11 card in the future, as some games are starting to not support DX9 cards.

iNero
  • iNero

Black Tiger Sex Machine

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 04 August 2013 - 10:12 AM

QUOTE (Sleepy187. @ Sunday, Aug 4 2013, 11:59)
Consoles are still behind PCs. I don't think we'll have to advance that much with our PC specs in the future.

Behind a high end pc which costs around 1000 dollars. The PS4 can do much more than its spec might indicate. Same goes for X1 even though it weaker.

And you dont need to make such stupid comments every time.
Its obvious that next gen is a huge leap to current gen. So when thinking about thats some current gen games like Crysis 3 need so much ressources even though they were held back by consoles, makes askin about how much do such games need once current gen is no more.
Especially the mentioned GPU RAM once the 512 mb RAM consoles dont force devs to optimize the engines.
For example, Carmack recently told that they are removing optimizations from their id engine which were required to make Rage run at 60 fps on console.

Mr. Sleepy
  • Mr. Sleepy

Infamous

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 04 August 2013 - 10:55 AM

How was my comment stupid? Especially every time? I said that we won't have to advance that much with our PCs, graphically I can't see how it can get any better.
And I never said the PS4 was a weak console, did I?

Ferocious Banger
  • Ferocious Banger

Big Homie

• Members
  • India

Posted 04 August 2013 - 11:19 AM

Optimization, I believe, will improve for PC games seeing as all the three platforms use the same architecture. I think, an I5 3570k, 8-16 GB RAM and a HD 7950 (3 GB GPU) will be more than enough for a good 3-4(?) years with games being optimized.

iNero
  • iNero

Black Tiger Sex Machine

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 04 August 2013 - 11:44 AM Edited by iNero, 04 August 2013 - 11:55 AM.

There is alot to improve. Lighting especially. Lighting is one of the most important features to get realistic graphics. Crysis 3 had good graphics but was far cry from being realistic.
SVOGI ( real time lighting feature) was cut out in UE4 on PS4 and PC cause even the 680 struggled when running it

Fireman
  • Fireman

Cunning Stunter

• Members

Posted 04 August 2013 - 11:48 AM

What the f*ck are you on iNero? Those sentences do not make much sense tounge.gif

PC doesn't make jumps like consoles do, since new PC's and PC-parts are made each week.

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

Tokel. Never forget.

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 04 August 2013 - 11:49 AM Edited by GTAvanja, 04 August 2013 - 11:52 AM.

Probably. However, it's impossible to say how much at this point.

Consoles are usually a lot more powerful than their specs might indicate. But even then, games for consoles are usually designed to run at 30fps. Optimal PC experience is 60fps. That fact alone means that the PC has to be more powerful than the console. Then there's the issue of optimization. Console games take the full advantage of the console's power. That's rarely the case with PC ports.

But this time around it might be different because of the architecture inside the new consoles. It's a lot more similar to the PC which should make porting a lot easier. That should be good news for PC games. At least in theory.

iNero
  • iNero

Black Tiger Sex Machine

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 04 August 2013 - 11:54 AM

QUOTE (Fireman @ Sunday, Aug 4 2013, 13:48)
What the f*ck are you on iNero? Those sentences do not make much sense tounge.gif

PC doesn't make jumps like consoles do, since new PC's and PC-parts are made each week.

Haha. I wrote it on my phone. Just saw it

Finn 7 five 11
  • Finn 7 five 11

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 August 2013 - 07:28 AM Edited by finn4life, 05 August 2013 - 07:31 AM.

But this time around it might be different because of the architecture inside the new consoles. It's alot more similar to the PC which should make porting a lot easier. That should be good news for PC games. At least in theory.

Yeah this is what I was thinking, there will be an increase in requirements that is a little steeper than previously, however Vanjas point theoretically should soften The blow.

Also @Sleepy, in terms of power, PC is definitely way ahead, however consoles have the benefit of all the developers time, so optimization goes A long way to close the gap, which means that even if a PC is more powerful, when console specs increase so do PC specs.

Booze
  • Booze

Boss

• Members
  • Netherlands
  • Best IV Era Videos 2009

Posted 05 August 2013 - 03:26 PM

Are you talking about minimum requirements? I don't think you'll need to worry too much. When all three platforms (shush Wii U, go sit in a corner!) use x86 computer architecture, games will probably be more scalable. Besides, it isn't very profitable for developers to make games that only run on the highest-end pc's (because they'll shrink their target audience). You might want to read this article by Digital Foundry if you haven't already.

iNero
  • iNero

Black Tiger Sex Machine

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 07 October 2013 - 10:09 PM

As it seems, they are rising.

Watch_Dogs Specs are relatively high:

MINIMUM

Supported OS: Windows Vista SP2 64bit, Windows 7 SP1 64bit, Windows 8 64bit
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 @ 2.66Ghz or AMD Phenom II X4 940 @ 3.0Ghz
RAM: 6 GB
Video Card: 1024 VRAM DirectX 11 with Shader Model 5.0 (see supported list)
Sound Card: DirectX 9 compatible Sound Card
This product supports 64-bit operating systems ONLY

RECOMMENDED

Processor: Core i7 3770 @ 3.5Ghz or AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0Ghz
RAM: 8 GB
Video Card: 2048 VRAM DirectX 11 with Shader Model 5.0 or higher (see supported list)
Sound Card: Surround Sound 5.1 capable sound card

Supported Video Cards at Time of Release:

nVidia GeForce GTX460 or better, GT500, GT600, GT700 series;
AMD Radeon HD5850 or better, HD6000, HD7000, R7 and R9 series
Intel® Iris™ Pro HD 5200

http://www.neogaf.co...ad.php?t=692962

And now the Ghosts Specs:

Minimum:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8200 2.66 GHZ / AMD Phenom X3 8750 2.4 GHZ or better
RAM: 6 GB RAM
HDD: 50 GB HD space
Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti / ATI Radeon HD 5870 or better
Sound: DirectX Compatible Sound Card
DirectX: 11
Internet: Broadband connection and service required for Multiplayer Connectivity. Internet connection required for activation.

Recommended:

Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780

http://www.geforce.c...em-requirements

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users