A required security module cannot be activated

2 replies to this topic
TehTacoGuy
  • TehTacoGuy

Half taco, half human.

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 03 August 2013 - 12:47 PM

A required security module cannot be activated.
This program cannot be executed (5002).

This error occasionally pops up when i try to launch IV or EFLC. I know it is securom, and i have uninstalled all programs i can think of that would affect it (stuff like daemon tools), and it does happen less now, but is there a way to lessen even more, or completely stop it? The only fix i have is to restart my PC.

GTA IV Complete Edition - Retail copy (EB Games AUS)
Windows 7 Professional x64
16GB DDR3 RAM
ATI Radeon 7950 3GB GDDR5
AMD 990x + SB950 Motherboard
AMD FX 8150 3.6GHz 8 cores (overclocked to 4.2GHz)

Happens with AND without mods of any sort, not using any no-cd cracks etc. That should be all, yes?

Miro
  • Miro

Time Killa™

• Zaibatsu
  • Romania
  • GTANet Contribution Award [Newbie Guide]
    Most Improved 2010

Posted 03 August 2013 - 12:53 PM

Have you tried running the LaunchGTAIV.exe / LaunchEFLC.exe as administrator? What about trying to run them in Windows XP SP3 / Windows 2000 Compatibility mode?
Try to install this: Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 SP1 Redistributable (in case the first two solutions don't help). As a last solution, install the VC++ libraries from the game disk. The file should be called vc_setup.exe in the Redistributables folder.

I could also be the mods that cause the bug. I suggest you remove all mods / modded files, deleting your game settings, and re-install the game without re-installing the mods.

gremlinkurst
  • gremlinkurst

Old Hand

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 January 2014 - 03:08 AM

Sysinternals' Process Explorer triggers that error message. Evidently, SecuROM interprets the fact that certain types of application monitors are running in memory as an attempt to access proprietary code (Windows Task Manager does not trip that message flag). For me to run the game on my Windows 7 64-bit machine, I have to terminate Process Explorer¹. Oddly enough, the EFLC DLC has no problem with that application monitor.

¹I chose that program because it's more responsive than Windows' Task Manager, and it's more informative.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users