Photo

college football

42 replies to this topic
garownsu01
  • garownsu01

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 02 August 2013 - 08:58 AM

Are you ready for the 2013-2014 college football season? I know i am. What team do you support? I am a fan of Alabama Crimson Tide but because i live in south louisiana i get a alot of hate by LSU fans. Anyways, Crimson Tide is gonna get another national championship under their belt this year. Cant wait!

ILAK
  • ILAK

Soon to be Dad

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 02 August 2013 - 08:16 PM

I am. I love college football and being from Northern California I am a huge Cal fan.

Were not expected to do much this year but the offense that Sonny Dykes and Tony Franklin brought with them from Louisiana Tech gives me some hope because we have the talent to be very good. Jeff Tedford just wasn't getting it done anymore.

btw, I hate bama. wink.gif

garownsu01
  • garownsu01

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 02 August 2013 - 11:22 PM

QUOTE (I Love Anna Kournikova @ Friday, Aug 2 2013, 15:16)
I am. I love college football and being from Northern California I am a huge Cal fan.

Were not expected to do much this year but the offense that Sonny Dykes and Tony Franklin brought with them from Louisiana Tech gives me some hope because we have the talent to be very good. Jeff Tedford just wasn't getting it done anymore.

im used to people telling me they hate bama. lol im the only one in my family that doesnt like lsu and they cant stand it. and every day during football season at school people talk sh*t to me lol. but its cool. btw, best of luck to your team this season. and even if you hate bama pray that we can beat texas a&m this year lmfao

ILAK
  • ILAK

Soon to be Dad

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 02 August 2013 - 11:51 PM

lol, Yea im just doin it in fun. I hate Johnny Manziel. cocky little bitch. So I will be rooting for Bama against A&M.

Shenmue18
  • Shenmue18

Big Homie

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 03 August 2013 - 01:25 AM

I'm a Longhorns/Texas Tech fan, so I naturally hate anything and everything A&M. I had to give Johnny Manziel props at first, but now he's turned into a total cocky douche, still a great player but personally the guy seems like a total ass clown.

Larcen
  • Larcen

konichiwa, bitches

• The Precinct

Posted 08 August 2013 - 05:06 AM

QUOTE (I Love Anna Kournikova @ Friday, Aug 2 2013, 12:16)

Oh, Cal. What a bunch of mercurial underachieving motherf*ckers. It's been hard to watch their games. As much as I hate to say it, their 3-4 year plunge into mediocrity has been because of pretty sh*tty QB play.

I mean, there have been plenty of other factors (the rest of the conference elevating their game, tedford losing his way, middling offensive line play, etc), but I would say that the lack of a (even good) QB has been the catalyst to their meh-ness.

Can you imagine what kind of gaudy stats Keenan Allen would've amassed if he didn't have to go get every single ball thrown his way? Christ on a bike.

The good part? We might have some young bucks about to come up. Kline has the arm, Goff has the accuracy, and Hinder has the athleticism. The bad news? KLINDERGOFF.

So coupled with perhaps the nation's most difficult schedule, you have to think that the over/under is 4 wins. Quite frankly, I'll be shocked if they're bowl eligible. Then again, good pac-12 teams have a funny habit of throwing up on themselves during conference play, so I suppose that anything is possible. The x-factor game? Oregon State. They HAVE to have that one.

Great hire by Cal, and Dykes' has assembled a crack staff, but it's probably going to be a year or two before the machine starts working again.

Tommy Corelli
  • Tommy Corelli

somethin else

• Members

Posted 11 August 2013 - 04:09 AM

QUOTE (Larcen @ Thursday, Aug 8 2013, 05:06)

btw, I hate bama.  wink.gif

Oh, Cal. What a bunch of mercurial underachieving motherf*ckers. It's been hard to watch their games. As much as I hate to say it, their 3-4 year plunge into mediocrity has been because of pretty sh*tty QB play.

I mean, there have been plenty of other factors (the rest of the conference elevating their game, tedford losing his way, middling offensive line play, etc), but I would say that the lack of a (even good) QB has been the catalyst to their meh-ness.

Can you imagine what kind of gaudy stats Keenan Allen would've amassed if he didn't have to go get every single ball thrown his way? Christ on a bike.

The good part? We might have some young bucks about to come up. Kline has the arm, Goff has the accuracy, and Hinder has the athleticism. The bad news? KLINDERGOFF.

So coupled with perhaps the nation's most difficult schedule, you have to think that the over/under is 4 wins. Quite frankly, I'll be shocked if they're bowl eligible. Then again, good pac-12 teams have a funny habit of throwing up on themselves during conference play, so I suppose that anything is possible. The x-factor game? Oregon State. They HAVE to have that one.

Great hire by Cal, and Dykes' has assembled a crack staff, but it's probably going to be a year or two before the machine starts working again.

I'm a Cal fan as well and boy, its been rough. But I think we'll be pleasantly surprised from the offense Dykes will be able to put together. He's a Mike Leach disciple and if we have learned anything from Leach's offenses in the past, it's that no matter who's playing behind center, they score in bunches.

Larcen
  • Larcen

konichiwa, bitches

• The Precinct

Posted 12 August 2013 - 03:26 AM Edited by Larcen, 12 August 2013 - 03:34 AM.

QUOTE (Tommy Corelli @ Saturday, Aug 10 2013, 20:09)

I'm a Cal fan as well and boy, its been rough. But I think we'll be pleasantly surprised from the offense Dykes will be able to put together. He's a Mike Leach disciple and if we have learned anything from Leach's offenses in the past, it's that no matter who's playing behind center, they score in bunches.

yeah, that's true, but it's going to be a rough go for a (bcs conf) rookie head coach some relatively young offensive players. i'm fully expecting them to probably start 1-3, which is always kind of a kick in the face.

but i totally agree. when dykes was running the show at tech and in arizona, he made some pretty pedestrian talents look like gods. so, i'm feeling pretty good about the hire, but it's definitely going to take time.

i'm just hoping that the administration/boosters/fan base realize that this is probably going to get a little worse before it gets better and to ride it out. i like to think that cal fans have retreated from their pedestal a bit and realize that cal football is not supposed/expected to win 10 games a year. that's just being realistic. we're an academics school.

having said that? I just want to have one rose bowl win within the next decade. JUST. ONE.

but, the cupboards are definitely stocked on offense. bigelow is a transcendent talent (provided that he gets the carries and stays healthy), and lasco appears like he could be a productive workhorse.

we have 3 outstanding quarterbacks who were highly touted, despite their inexperience. after this season, we'll see that WR's treggs and harper could be legit number 1's for any other team in the pac-12 and lawler might not be that far behind. There is also some pretty promising young talent on the offensive line too.

it might not ALL be bad. but i have a feeling that teams are going to LIGHT UP our secondary.

Tommy Corelli
  • Tommy Corelli

somethin else

• Members

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:38 PM

I'm hoping they can name a starting QB soon. I was following the last scrimmage on twitter and they seemed to be headed in the right direction, OFFENSIVELY. Bigelow was unstoppable and Daniel Lasco had some quality touches. All QBs on the roster were accountable for at least 1 TD.

DOOM!
  • DOOM!

yessir

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 15 August 2013 - 06:13 AM Edited by DOOM!, 15 August 2013 - 06:18 AM.

Boomer Sooner people... I hope you folks are ready for the Belldozer, media and staff are saying there is a QB battle but if Blake Bell isn't our starting QB I'll be mind-boggled. As a Sooner fan I'm confident in another ten win season, in admittedly, a sub-par BCS conference. A few years ago I was against the move to the SEC but now I truly realize what and where the true conference is... SEC. I'd take a few losses against great college teams, not at home to Texas Tech or even Notre Dame (it was men against boys in the national championship).

Anyways, as great numbers Landry Jones put up for us, he couldn't take us to the promise land we didn't even get to the entrance. Our offense needs a new style, I enjoy the no-huddle offense but the constant bubble screens, wr screens in general and quick passes worked, but at the same time it didn't. We haven't seen a legitmate run game since the great Adrian Peterson and even before that... but now we are a no huddle passing offense, and I think it's because of our offensive coordinator good 'ol Josh Hueple.

Tommy Corelli
  • Tommy Corelli

somethin else

• Members

Posted 15 August 2013 - 11:08 PM

QUOTE (DOOM! @ Thursday, Aug 15 2013, 06:13)
Boomer Sooner people... I hope you folks are ready for the Belldozer, media and staff are saying there is a QB battle but if Blake Bell isn't our starting QB I'll be mind-boggled. As a Sooner fan I'm confident in another ten win season, in admittedly, a sub-par BCS conference. A few years ago I was against the move to the SEC but now I truly realize what and where the true conference is... SEC. I'd take a few losses against great college teams, not at home to Texas Tech or even Notre Dame (it was men against boys in the national championship).

Anyways, as great numbers Landry Jones put up for us, he couldn't take us to the promise land we didn't even get to the entrance. Our offense needs a new style, I enjoy the no-huddle offense but the constant bubble screens, wr screens in general and quick passes worked, but at the same time it didn't. We haven't seen a legitmate run game since the great Adrian Peterson and even before that... but now we are a no huddle passing offense, and I think it's because of our offensive coordinator good 'ol Josh Hueple.

I think Blake Bell should put another page in the playbook for Oklahoma being that hes probably the most athletic QB for the sooners, in recent memory.

DOOM!
  • DOOM!

yessir

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 16 August 2013 - 09:31 AM

We've had bad luck, so to speak, with mobile QBs in recent years. Jason White was recruited as a running QB but tore his left acl one year then he's right the next year... But he ended up being a gunslinging heisman winner. Paul Thompson was to inconsistent throwing the ball but could make a play. Rhett Bomar had the perfect setup with having Peterson in the backfield.. but wanted to on the clock at work while being at school. Bell has shown his ability to run, big question his how he throws the ball and how he acts under pressure, which was Landrys weakest point.

Tommy Corelli
  • Tommy Corelli

somethin else

• Members

Posted 17 August 2013 - 03:49 AM

QUOTE (DOOM! @ Friday, Aug 16 2013, 09:31)
We've had bad luck, so to speak, with mobile QBs in recent years. Jason White was recruited as a running QB but tore his left acl one year then he's right the next year... But he ended up being a gunslinging heisman winner. Paul Thompson was to inconsistent throwing the ball but could make a play. Rhett Bomar had the perfect setup with having Peterson in the backfield.. but wanted to on the clock at work while being at school. Bell has shown his ability to run, big question his how he throws the ball and how he acts under pressure, which was Landrys weakest point.

Who's starting at RB for the Sooners this season? Finch, Clay, Ford?

DOOM!
  • DOOM!

yessir

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 17 August 2013 - 04:47 AM

None you mentioned, Damien Williams was a solid back for us last year since Dom Whaley couldn't repeat his Junior year. Regardless, if you have a mobile QB you let some of the pressure off of a RB.

This was a while back but when reports came out about Jadeveon Clowney's strained shoulder and him might missing the first game Steve Spurrier was quoted a long the lines of saying his injured players are acting really hurt, not a exact quote but something like that.. I wonder if he was referring to Clowney trying to avoid playing. Maybe I looked too much into it.

ILAK
  • ILAK

Soon to be Dad

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 18 August 2013 - 06:48 PM

QUOTE (Larcen @ Sunday, Aug 11 2013, 18:26)

yeah, that's true, but it's going to be a rough go for a (bcs conf) rookie head coach some relatively young offensive players. i'm fully expecting them to probably start 1-3, which is always kind of a kick in the face.

but i totally agree. when dykes was running the show at tech and in arizona, he made some pretty pedestrian talents look like gods. so, i'm feeling pretty good about the hire, but it's definitely going to take time.

i'm just hoping that the administration/boosters/fan base realize that this is probably going to get a little worse before it gets better and to ride it out. i like to think that cal fans have retreated from their pedestal a bit and realize that cal football is not supposed/expected to win 10 games a year. that's just being realistic. we're an academics school.

having said that? I just want to have one rose bowl win within the next decade. JUST. ONE.

but, the cupboards are definitely stocked on offense. bigelow is a transcendent talent (provided that he gets the carries and stays healthy), and lasco appears like he could be a productive workhorse.

we have 3 outstanding quarterbacks who were highly touted, despite their inexperience. after this season, we'll see that WR's treggs and harper could be legit number 1's for any other team in the pac-12 and lawler might not be that far behind. There is also some pretty promising young talent on the offensive line too.

it might not ALL be bad. but i have a feeling that teams are going to LIGHT UP our secondary.

I had no idea there would be more Cal fans on this forum. This pleases me. icon14.gif

and sh*t, fans that actually know what they are talking about.

The whole Klindergoff situation is a good problem to have though. As long as Maynard is gone I'm fine with it. Now that Goff has been named the starter there are a lot of unhappy fans that thought Kline was the savior of the program. It is tough because Kline worked so hard to get highy rated recruits in his class. He bleeds blue and gold even now.

I have season tickets so if either of you want to catch a game, let me know I might be able to hook you up.

tubbs51
  • tubbs51

Superbowl 48 Champs! GO SEAHAWKS!!

• Angels of Death MC
  • None

Posted 18 August 2013 - 08:49 PM

QUOTE (Shenmue18 @ Friday, Aug 2 2013, 17:25)
I'm a Longhorns/Texas Tech fan, so I naturally hate anything and everything A&M. I had to give Johnny Manziel props at first, but now he's turned into a total cocky douche, still a great player but personally the guy seems like a total ass clown.

Hell yeah! Hook 'em Horns!

I have the same opinion of Manziel. I think winning the heisman as a teenager was bad for him. It turned him into a cocky little sh*t and if he doesnt correct it he wont be highly sought after at the NFL level.

ILAK
  • ILAK

Soon to be Dad

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 18 August 2013 - 09:33 PM

Well to be honest, he doesnt have the build to be an NFL QB. He just is perfect for the offense that A&M runs.

Larcen
  • Larcen

konichiwa, bitches

• The Precinct

Posted 20 August 2013 - 08:20 PM

QUOTE (I Love Anna Kournikova @ Sunday, Aug 18 2013, 10:48)
QUOTE (Larcen @ Sunday, Aug 11 2013, 18:26)

I had no idea there would be more Cal fans on this forum. This pleases me. icon14.gif

and sh*t, fans that actually know what they are talking about.

The whole Klindergoff situation is a good problem to have though. As long as Maynard is gone I'm fine with it. Now that Goff has been named the starter there are a lot of unhappy fans that thought Kline was the savior of the program. It is tough because Kline worked so hard to get highy rated recruits in his class. He bleeds blue and gold even now.

I have season tickets so if either of you want to catch a game, let me know I might be able to hook you up.

Yeah, I'm sure that more than a few eyebrows were raised after giving Goff the nod. As much as I want to say that he's making a mistake, he's probably not. It just makes sense.

Goff is completely familiar with the offense (having run a similar style at Marin Catholic), and Kline is a pro-style QB. As much as I hate a Cal Bears QB controversy (ROBERTSON v. RODGERS, LONGSHORE v. RILEY, RILEY v. LONGSHORE, MAYNARD v. BRIDGFORD), what can there be? As mentioned on another board, this almost feels like a Alex Smith/Colin Kaepernick situation. Goff isn't flashy or hugely talented, but he probably won't f*ck up. Kline hasn't mastered the ropes as of yet, but his potential is limitless.

We all know that this is going to be a "rebuilding" season, so to speak. Cal faces the nation's most difficult schedule. Why throw your prized heifer directly into the slaughterhouse from jump street? While "trial by fire" can be an effective learning tool, its also a great way to get somebody killed, especially if they don't know what they're doing out there.

It's entirely possible that this year's starting QB might not return as the starter in 2014. However, it's a pretty risky call. If Goff plays modestly well, it'll be hard to justify upsetting the apple cart, and we can't expect Kline to wait around squandering his career. Kline was on Team Go Bears since forever and committed to the program even when we were a sh*tshow. The guy is totally local (Danville) wants to play for Cal, but I wouldn't blame him for bouncing if it looks like he's not going to have a chance to compete.

and SEASON TIX? INTRIGUING.

ILAK
  • ILAK

Soon to be Dad

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:57 PM

I wouldn't blame Kline at all. But by the sounds of it he and Hinder are here to stay. If true, Good for them. Thinking team first and will get their degrees from one of the best schools in the nation.

and season tickets are intriguing. I have had them for the last 4 years and must say its well worth it. I really don't miss home games (except for this years home opener go figure) so if you want to catch a game you would have to deal with me being annoying as f*ck. ph34r.gif

Larcen
  • Larcen

konichiwa, bitches

• The Precinct

Posted 21 August 2013 - 03:32 AM

I'd be down for that. ACTUALLY, are said tickets vs Northwestern already spoken for? Because I haven't been to a game in ages and I want to check out several this year, if possible.

ILAK
  • ILAK

Soon to be Dad

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 21 August 2013 - 03:42 AM

Those ones are taken I am afraid. Gave em to a co-worker.

Where do you live if you don't mind me asking? Bay area?

Larcen
  • Larcen

konichiwa, bitches

• The Precinct

Posted 21 August 2013 - 11:56 PM

nah. i grew up right outside the bay, but i've been living in humboldt for quite a while. still, i'm always down for a trip to the city.

Tommy Corelli
  • Tommy Corelli

somethin else

• Members

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:07 AM

I'm from Monterey so no way in hell I was gonna be a San Jose State fan hahaha even though they made some noise this year. I'm excited to see Jared Goff play.

ILAK
  • ILAK

Soon to be Dad

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 25 August 2013 - 01:07 AM

They did have a good year last year. Even Beat Sonny Dykes and LA Tech. But they too lost there head coach Mike Macentyre (sp but it is spelled a funky way i believe) to Colorado.

I actually think the San Jose State job is better than going to Boulder these days though.

theonlytobyever
  • theonlytobyever

• Members

Posted 02 September 2013 - 01:43 AM

QUOTE (garownsu01 @ Friday, Aug 2 2013, 08:58)
Are you ready for the 2013-2014 college football season? I know i am. What team do you support? I am a fan of Alabama Crimson Tide but because i live in south louisiana i get a alot of hate by LSU fans. Anyways, Crimson Tide is gonna get another national championship under their belt this year. Cant wait!

Roll Tide to that!

Our D looked good last night but our O-line struggled. We'll improve, like always.

Here's to 3 in a row icon14.gif

MrSteakson
  • MrSteakson

My penis is my best friend.

• BUSTED!

Posted 02 September 2013 - 09:06 AM

Football? What's that? Don't you mean handegg? lol.gif

Jk.

shady72
  • shady72

Full time maniac

• Members

Posted 03 September 2013 - 03:17 PM

QUOTE (MrSteakson @ Monday, Sep 2 2013, 09:06)
Football? What's that? Don't you mean handegg? lol.gif

Jk.

Says the dude with the animated penis as his profile picture.

Bigs
  • Bigs

OG

• Members

Posted 04 September 2013 - 05:28 AM

Notre Dame is my team, I think they're going to have another great season despite that ass whooping they got from 'Bama in last year's title game.

Brian Kelly is a great coach and they looked on-point against Temple last week, even if they aren't the highest caliber opponent. The real test will be this Saturday versus Michigan, it should be a great match. This is Tommy Rees' last chance to prove he can be a consistent, quality quarterback for such a prestigious program. As my buddy likes to say, "...it's TOMMY TIME!" Or at least we hope so.

fgcarva1
  • fgcarva1

Il Figlioccio

• Members

Posted 04 September 2013 - 06:09 AM

Honest question here, as a foreigner to US sports (I am familiar with Pro Leagues such as the NFL, MLB, NBA and etc), but why are College sports so big in the States? I mean, they're essentially a bunch of kids who aren't as good as the pros, so why are they so big/ Is it because of the marketing or is it because of the large variety of teams which may reflect all types of regions rather than pro-sports that only reach major urban areas?

dodgerfan4eva
  • dodgerfan4eva

Rat

• Members

Posted 04 September 2013 - 05:18 PM

QUOTE (fgcarva1 @ Tuesday, Sep 3 2013, 23:09)
Honest question here, as a foreigner to US sports (I am familiar with Pro Leagues such as the NFL, MLB, NBA and etc), but why are College sports so big in the States? I mean, they're essentially a bunch of kids who aren't as good as the pros, so why are they so big/ Is it because of the marketing or is it because of the large variety of teams which may reflect all types of regions rather than pro-sports that only reach major urban areas?

in some of the sports to be a pro player you have to be in collage first i think . The MLb is the only ones that doesnt have that option they can sign someone out of high school

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users