Traum - Tagtraum - Am Fenster

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 01 August 2013 - 10:56 PM

I couldn't find a topic for this, so I'm making one. Sorry if I missed one, let me know if I do.

The other night, my mom got piss drunk per usual and because of this, she started spewing out the word 'ni**er'. She does it all the time. "ni**er this, ni**er that, ni**er you, etc." I don't understand it, I just try to ignore it. Still, whenever she yells out the word "ni**er", I think back to an old George Carlin sketch I saw many years ago

Basically, it stated that the word "ni**er" itself is neutral, and it's the context you use it in that upsets people. Like, if you walk into a ghetto and yell "ni**erS" through a megaphone from the safety of your armor-plated SUV, then that would be a racist context. However, if you see your buddy in a store and call out "WASSUP MY NIGGA!?", that isn't a racist context. What's really confuses me is the fact that black people can say the word 'ni**er' in any context they want and they're cool with it, but if a non-black person says 'ni**er', even in a non racist context, then a fit is thrown.

I was talking to someone on the forum about this a good while ago, and he said it was because that black people were oppressed in America up until the 1940s (1960s if you live in the south). While I do agree that it's a genuine bummer that black people were slaves way back in the day and oppressed back then, but why don't you let it go? The north forgave the south from seceding and causing the Civil War. The Jewish people forgave the Germans for the holocaust (Germany is ranked 8th in the top 10 Jewish populations by country), so why cant the black people who throw a fit over other races using the word 'ni**er' get over it?

Also, for the people who are going to try to derail the topic by calling black people 'slum rats, hood trash, etc.', do keep in mind that white people do have their undesirables, such as trailer trash, legit racists, and dare I mention gabbers

user posted image

Lets debate, and for the sake of seriousness, please be civil.

Tyler
  • Tyler

keep your chin up out there

• None
  • Best Poem 2014
    Best Story 2014
    Most Talented Writer 2014
    Newcomer of the Year 2010

Posted 01 August 2013 - 11:03 PM

If the word you're arguing for isn't that bad, and you can't even say it out loud, then you will not win.
  • Moth likes this

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 01 August 2013 - 11:07 PM

this would be a good candidate for the Debates forum.
hopefully Gen Chat doesn't ruin it.

the word "ni**er" is extremely volatile for obvious reasons.
using it doesn't necessarily make you a racist anymore as much as it reveals something about your character; mostly that you have no class. it's just kind of a low-class word. it's low-rent. low-brow.

I'm white.
my white friends and I will say "nigga" to each other in a friendly way. my black friends seem to let me say "nigga" whenever I want, assuming it's also in the same friendly tone. context is obviously important but it seems like most young black people today don't mind the word "nigga" because it has become a term of endearment.

they only mind if you turn it into "ni**er."
it's sort of a double standard but it's also just culture. I don't see any reason to avoid the word "nigga" if you're among friends of any color.

CallTheCoroner
  • CallTheCoroner

Have you ever been dying of thirst, and smelled rain?

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 01 August 2013 - 11:10 PM

I hear white kids say it more than I hear black kids saying it. I can't stab when white people say it, it just doesn't seem right.

ryuclan
  • ryuclan

Maybe I'll Stay awhile

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 01 August 2013 - 11:11 PM

A drunk man's words is a sober man's thoughts.

RoadRunner71
  • RoadRunner71

Left to rust

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 August 2013 - 11:24 PM

If the society pretends to leave back the racism and its remaining wounds should stop using these kinds of terms, as well as diferentiating the races, either white, black or people from any other colors. Why give that importance to just a word? "Why can't I use the N when that other guy can?" well, just stop using that word, or any like it, since it may cause confusions, and end of the problem. Or at least the beginning of the end of something bigger than just a word.

At least that my point of view, summed up.

Mpower
  • Mpower

Soldier

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 August 2013 - 11:28 PM

You can use that word as much as you want on the internet. Why are you upset ?

EscoLehGo
  • EscoLehGo

Ya Dingus

• Members

Posted 01 August 2013 - 11:45 PM

I don't understand why some white people obsess over this, why do you want to say ni**er so badly? Up until about 50-60 years ago you could call anyone in public a ni**er with little repercussion, now things have changed. You should call up your grandfather and you two can chat fondly and at great length about those golden days together.

DJ Arrt
  • DJ Arrt

Dreamer

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 01 August 2013 - 11:48 PM

Well, I agree, it's a terrible double standard. I mean how is it right that I can say nigga as much as I want, but it's taboo that one of my white friends can't? I'm honestly tired of hearing the N-Word used in a negative connotation, it's just an ugly, so I'm trying to quit using the word in general, so I can try to stop it a little bit, and not sound hypocritical when I try to argue against it. confused.gif

Shah Sam
  • Shah Sam

Shah

• Members
  • Norway

Posted 01 August 2013 - 11:54 PM

I've actually never met any black people using the word, and then getting angry when white people use it. I've only met black people who use it and don't mind white people using it, and black people who don't use it and get angry when white people use it.

Supernutz40
  • Supernutz40

GTAF Commissioner

• GTAF Crew
  • None

Posted 02 August 2013 - 12:03 AM

Personally I don't use it. I don't see a problem with the whole double standard thing, it's kinda like you can call your sister/mother/GF a bitch, but if someone else does then your mad. Yeeeears ago, i played on an AAU team and I was the only white guy on it. I asked some of them about it and they said that it has become their word for the white guys "dude".

That said, it does bother me a little that they freely toss around words like honky and what not. Ever watch a black guy do stand up? White people are almost always the butt of a joke or two, or the whole bit.

Typhus
  • Typhus

OG

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 02 August 2013 - 12:07 AM

I won't lie, I see it as a non issue.
The black community is vocal, has media support and hits back hard against prejudice whenever it presents itself. This is natural and desirable, because the process of intergration and equality is still ongoing, we have made leaps and bounds but are not yet at the stage where society is colour blind.

Far more concerning, in my view, are the negative stereotypes of both Indians and Asians in the media, many of which are never contested and treated as being perfectly benign. I do not believe that to be the case and feel that focusing on discrimination against black people is detrimental to the wider discrimination faced by other ethnic groups.

Raavi
  • Raavi

Z

• None
  • Best Moderator 2015
    Best Moderator 2014
    Winner of World Cup 2014 Prediction League
    Best Forum Ledby 2013
    Most Improved 2013

Posted 02 August 2013 - 12:32 AM

So it is considered to be taboo for a white individual to use the word ni**er" either to describe or insult a black individual. Yet, the word has become widely accepted and is used widely within the black community in a numbers of ways, both endearing and insulting. This double standard is hypocritical and a form of racism in and of it self; white individuals are limited to enjoy certain freedoms, be them as minute as using certain words, solely because of their skin color. There shouldn't be a prefix for what's considered racism, it should works both way regardless of the skin color of the 'racist'.

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Alcoholic Blues

• BUSTED!
  • United-States
  • Most Helpful [Expression] 2013

Posted 02 August 2013 - 12:37 AM

QUOTE (Raavi @ Thursday, Aug 1 2013, 19:32)
So it is considered to be taboo for a white individual to use the word ni**er" either to describe or insult a black individual. Yet, the word has become widely accepted and is used widely within the black community in a numbers of ways, both endearing and insulting. This double standard is hypocritical and a form of racism in and of it self; white individuals are limited to enjoy certain freedoms, be them as minute as using certain words, solely because of their skin color. There shouldn't be a prefix for what's considered racism, it should works both way regardless of the skin color of the 'racist'.

Nicely said..

ryuclan
  • ryuclan

Maybe I'll Stay awhile

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 02 August 2013 - 12:51 AM

My question is why do white people want to say it so damn bad?

Piggsy pls
  • Piggsy pls

pls

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 August 2013 - 12:55 AM Edited by The Viperman, 02 August 2013 - 01:01 AM.

Whites, Blacks, Asians, Indians, Hispanics, etc... all say nigga, and don't face any sort of reprimanding for doing so where I live. I think it's actually ridiculous that this is considered an issue in most other places.

If there is no racist context being used, then it should not be a problem. I'd like to point out, though, that it's not just black people who get butthurt about the word. People of other races are just as quick to judge non-blacks if they ever say it.

Now, as for "ni**er", well, you can't expect people not to get offended by using this word, particularly if you're calling someone else that. "Nigga" was never intended to be an insult, "ni**er" was. The word even just sounds nastier rolling off the tounge then nigga does.

OchyGTA
  • OchyGTA

Rap game GTA forums

• Members

Posted 02 August 2013 - 12:59 AM Edited by OchyGTA, 02 August 2013 - 01:03 AM.

QUOTE (ryuclan @ Friday, Aug 2 2013, 00:51)

Because its so super naughty.

In all seriousness I don't really get the fascination with the word either. I have a number of black friends who use it on occasion and the vast majority of the time it's when they're joking around. I don't feel I have to use it to be in on the joke or anything like that. And what would I stand to gain from acknowledging people by saying "what's up my nigga". To be honest, I think it's pathetic that so many people get so excited by using this word.

Rapping along to music is completely different however biggrin.gif

E: I would say that if you have been brought up in that culture, i.e. growing up in the inner-city around other ethnicity's then it is acceptable. My gripe is with those who use it without a relation to this scenario, which mainly happens to be white kids from the suburbs.

Shah Sam
  • Shah Sam

Shah

• Members
  • Norway

Posted 02 August 2013 - 01:04 AM

QUOTE (ryuclan @ Friday, Aug 2 2013, 00:51)

Who said that white people want to say it so bad? It's just that it's weird that black people can say it, but when white people say it, the black people gets mad on the white ones. But then again, it's kind of generalization, because it's not like every black guy is like that. I've actually never met a black guy who acts like that, you know, using the n-word but gets mad at white people for using it.

Zugzwang
  • Zugzwang

Snitch

• Members

Posted 02 August 2013 - 01:04 AM

For one I think it really isn't a big deal. If someone's going to get pissed at me for a word, in this case, it probably isn't because they have a deep objection to that word but more so because they're just very sensitive/irritable people.

Also there's something to be said for taking the edge off of words by using them all the time. Look what happened with 'fa**ot'. Whenever I call someone a fa**ot I'm not calling them a homosexual I'm calling them an asshole. Conversely, when I call someone a ni**er/nigga (I call my friends, who live in Darien, Connecticut, the whitest place on the planet, this all the time because I think it's funny as hell) I'm not calling them a nasty black person or anything like that I'm calling them my buddy... Albeit in a joking way.

Racism is bad but saying ni**er doesn't have to be racist.

Vanzant
  • Vanzant

おっぱい 23V

• United-States

Posted 02 August 2013 - 01:14 AM

In the end, not one opinion in this thread means anything period and you won't walk away with all your teeth calling a black person that.

ryuclan
  • ryuclan

Maybe I'll Stay awhile

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 02 August 2013 - 01:17 AM Edited by ryuclan, 02 August 2013 - 01:23 AM.

QUOTE (thebodies @ Friday, Aug 2 2013, 01:04)
Who said that white people want to say it so bad?

White people who get mad because they can't say it...

It's just that it's weird that black people can say it, but when white people say it, the black people gets mad on the white ones. But then again, it's kind of generalization, because it's not like every black guy is like that. I've actually never met a black guy who acts like that, you know, using the n-word but gets mad at white people for using it.

Since I've moved up north I have made exactly zero black friends. How many times have I heard the word nigga being used? More times than I've said it. My friend even said it would be weird if I said it in normal conversation. I have a ghetto side, but that sh*t takes too much energy lol. I'm too lay to be ghetto all the time.

Here's the meat of it. Every man, woman and child has the right to say WHATEVER they want at any given time for any reason. It's you right to say what you want when you want. So if you want to say it then say it. There is absolutely nothing stopping you. You also have the right to get offended by what other people say. I can see someone making ice cream and say the want Jimmys on theirs, and I can choose to get pissed the f*ck off about it, but only those insecure in themselves assume that everything said has malicious intent.

Zugzwang
  • Zugzwang

Snitch

• Members

Posted 02 August 2013 - 01:19 AM

QUOTE (Vanzant @ Friday, Aug 2 2013, 01:14)
In the end, not one opinion in this thread means anything period and you won't walk away with all your teeth calling a black person that.

This idea that all black people are so bloodthirsty that they'll attack anyone who says a certain word is just wrong. None of the opinions anywhere on this forum really 'mean anything' if you define meaning something as causing tangible change in some area. That's just an utterly pointless statement.

OchyGTA
  • OchyGTA

Rap game GTA forums

• Members

Posted 02 August 2013 - 01:21 AM

QUOTE (Zugzwang @ Friday, Aug 2 2013, 01:19)

This idea that all black people are so bloodthirsty that they'll attack anyone who says a certain word is just wrong. None of the opinions anywhere on this forum really 'mean anything' if you define meaning something as causing tangible change in some area. That's just an utterly pointless statement.

No it's just that no white/asian/hispanic person has the right to call a black person a ni**er and I wouldn't expect anyone to get out that situation without a bruise. It's no different to calling a homosexual a fag, you don't do it and I would expect some form of physical retaliation.

Zugzwang
  • Zugzwang

Snitch

• Members

Posted 02 August 2013 - 01:26 AM

QUOTE (OchyGTA @ Friday, Aug 2 2013, 01:21)

No it's just that no white/asian/hispanic person has the right to call a black person a ni**er and I wouldn't expect anyone to get out that situation without a bruise. It's no different to calling a homosexual a fag, you don't do it and I would expect some form of physical retaliation.

But why not just leave that up to the black person in any given situation? There's no word that's inherently good or bad. If I had a black friend (admittedly, I do not, which is a bit unfortunate) who was alright with me saying 'what's up nigga?' like I do with my white friends, what exactly would be the problem with that?

Piggsy pls
  • Piggsy pls

pls

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 August 2013 - 01:27 AM

Agreed. Punching some douche because he called you a racial slur with malicious intent doesn't make you bloodthirsty.

Zugzwang
  • Zugzwang

Snitch

• Members

Posted 02 August 2013 - 01:29 AM

QUOTE (The Viperman @ Friday, Aug 2 2013, 01:27)

Agreed. Punching some douche because he called you a racial slur with malicious intent doesn't make you bloodthirsty.

with malicious intent being the key part of that statement

Vanzant
  • Vanzant

おっぱい 23V

• United-States

Posted 02 August 2013 - 01:30 AM

QUOTE (Zugzwang @ Thursday, Aug 1 2013, 21:26)

But why not just leave that up to the black person in any given situation? There's no word that's inherently good or bad. If I had a black friend (admittedly, I do not, which is a bit unfortunate) who was alright with me saying 'what's up nigga?' like I do with my white friends, what exactly would be the problem with that?

Any given person? Sure. If you have a friend who don't mind you using a racial slur.

What the f*ck are you comparing that too? Being able to say it to one person doesn't make it fair to say it anywhere or to anyone you want to.

OchyGTA
  • OchyGTA

Rap game GTA forums

• Members

Posted 02 August 2013 - 01:32 AM

QUOTE (Zugzwang @ Friday, Aug 2 2013, 01:26)
If I had a black friend (admittedly, I do not, which is a bit unfortunate) who was alright with me saying 'what's up nigga?' like I do with my white friends, what exactly would be the problem with that?

Well there we go. Have fun trying to find someone who actually is cool with that. Like I've said, it's no different to saying "what up fag" to a homosexual. There's a little thing called boundaries, I think you need to learn not to cross them.

Zugzwang
  • Zugzwang

Snitch

• Members

Posted 02 August 2013 - 01:33 AM

QUOTE (Vanzant @ Friday, Aug 2 2013, 01:30)
QUOTE (Zugzwang @ Thursday, Aug 1 2013, 21:26)

Any given person? Sure. If you have a friend who don't mind you using a racial slur.

What the f*ck are you comparing that too? Being able to say it to one person doesn't make it fair to say it anywhere or to anyone you want to.

Right. Like any word it can be used maliciously. But there's this misconception here that words can be inherently bad. That's not true. There are contexts where it's okay to say any word, and while there may be fewer contexts where it's appropriate to say ni**er than most other words that doesn't mean members of certain ethnic groups shouldn't be able to say it at all. I think that's just a very close minded opinion to be honest with you, in fact I think by only allowing black people to say ni**er you're deepening the racial tension you seem to be intending to alleviate.

Shah Sam
  • Shah Sam

Shah

• Members
  • Norway

Posted 02 August 2013 - 01:34 AM

QUOTE (ryuclan @ Friday, Aug 2 2013, 01:17)
Since I've moved up north I have made exactly zero black friends. How many times have I heard the word nigga being used? More times than I've said it. My friend even said it would be weird if I said it in normal conversation. I have a ghetto side, but that sh*t takes too much energy lol. I'm too lay to be ghetto all the time.

Here's the meat of it. Every man, woman and child has the right to say WHATEVER they want at any given time for any reason. It's you right to say what you want when you want. So if you want to say it then say it. There is absolutely nothing stopping you. You also have the right to get offended by what other people say. I can see someone making ice cream and say the want Jimmys on theirs, and I can choose to get pissed the f*ck off about it, but only those insecure in themselves assume that everything said has malicious intent.

I agree with you on this.

QUOTE (ryuclan @ Friday, Aug 2 2013, 01:17)
White people who get mad because they can't say it...

I'm not so familiar with this behavior, and I'm pretty sure that the OP don't mean it that way. He just thinks that it's weird that some black people use the n-word, but then they get mad when white people use it. I have never encountered anyone black who behaves like this, but then again I don't live in USA, and there is a lot more black people in USA than Norway.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users