9 replies to this topic
Audiophile
  • Audiophile

http://gabenislife.com/

• Zaibatsu
  • Canada

Posted 01 August 2013 - 10:15 PM

user posted image

The show takes place in Los Angeles, California, where Ray Donovan (Liev Schreiber), who is originally from South Boston, is a "fixer" for the powerful law firm Goldman & Drexler that represents the rich and famous. However, he experiences his own problems when his father, Mickey Donovan (Jon Voight), is unexpectedly released from prison.

I searched this section for a thread on it and I didn't find one so I decided to make one. It's a new series from Showtime that they are advertising as replacing Dexter.

I originally wasn't going to watch this but I decided to give it a chance today. Two episodes in and I am enjoying.

The Gardener
  • The Gardener

jebeno isti

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 August 2013 - 02:42 PM

I was thinking of watching this. I have them recorded. It looks ok, but the main character doesn't seem interesting at all, Ray Donovan.

But I'm not going to pass judgement until I actually see the first few episodes. I'll get back to you.

EscoLehGo
  • EscoLehGo

Ya Dingus

• Members

Posted 03 August 2013 - 02:51 PM

QUOTE (SomeManForGTA @ Saturday, Aug 3 2013, 14:42)
I was thinking of watching this. I have them recorded. It looks ok, but the main character doesn't seem interesting at all, Ray Donovan.

But I'm not going to pass judgement until I actually see the first few episodes. I'll get back to you.

I thought the same thing about the main character but give it a chance, it's a really good show and has a pretty engaging story line. This would probably not work as well if it was the same character and on the east coast but Ray stands out in a backdrop of a bunch of Hollywood douches and eccentrics.

The Gardener
  • The Gardener

jebeno isti

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 August 2013 - 09:37 PM

QUOTE (EscoLehGo @ Saturday, Aug 3 2013, 14:51)

I thought the same thing about the main character but give it a chance, it's a really good show and has a pretty engaging story line. This would probably not work as well if it was the same character and on the east coast but Ray stands out in a backdrop of a bunch of Hollywood douches and eccentrics.

Kind of like how Michael might stick out in GTA 5 cool.gif

I don't think I've ever seen a show that's based on the whole "fixer" thing. I'll definitely give it a chance.

Audiophile
  • Audiophile

http://gabenislife.com/

• Zaibatsu
  • Canada

Posted 03 August 2013 - 10:27 PM

That was pretty much why I was hesitant on checking the show out. It didn't seem like it would all that interesting but after giving it a chance I have to say I don't regret it.

The show picks up after the first episode and it's really interesting. I already found myself asking questions about Ray's backstory towards the end of the first episode; I wanted to know more so I kept watching and I am really into it now.

Rudy
  • Rudy

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • France

Posted 04 August 2013 - 06:01 AM

I recently watched the firs episode. I loved the plot and the pilot thingy but still the show was a bit draggy at places. The characters are less interesting except for Voight, he gives me the heebie jeebies!

The female characters are boring the rat ass outta me, and it makes me wanna stop watching the show. Especially Ray's wife. Jeeeesus, she makes me cringe. Seriously, if f her whole agenda is going to be about needing to live in a better neighborhood and generally bitching at Ray, then it's not gonna be easy for me to continue watching this.

Sting4S
  • Sting4S

I have no patience for you V section lurkers

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 August 2013 - 03:25 AM

QUOTE (rudy. @ Sunday, Aug 4 2013, 01:01)
Especially Ray's wife. Jeeeesus, she makes me cringe. Seriously, if f her whole agenda is going to be about needing to live in a better neighborhood and generally bitching at Ray, then it's not gonna be easy for me to continue watching this.

Yeah she is an annoying bitch but that's not going to ruin the show for me. biggrin.gif

EscoLehGo
  • EscoLehGo

Ya Dingus

• Members

Posted 11 August 2013 - 01:29 AM

QUOTE (rudy. @ Sunday, Aug 4 2013, 06:01)
I recently watched the firs episode. I loved the plot and the pilot thingy but still the show was a bit draggy at places. The characters are less interesting except for Voight, he gives me the heebie jeebies!

The female characters are boring the rat ass outta me, and it makes me wanna stop watching the show. Especially Ray's wife. Jeeeesus, she makes me cringe. Seriously, if f her whole agenda is going to be about needing to live in a better neighborhood and generally bitching at Ray, then it's not gonna be easy for me to continue watching this.

These are valid criticisms, they need to flesh out the wife's character a little more, we pretty much know nothing about her background at this point and it's hard to sympathize with someone when you don't know where they're coming from. One thing that bugs me a little is how naive Ray's kids are, how are two teenagers in LA that f*cking innocent and unaware? It doesn't add up but I guess it's possible.

Finishing last week's episode now, they made that black kid across the street stereotypical as sh*t, I'll be glad when his plot line is over with.

Rudy
  • Rudy

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • France

Posted 11 August 2013 - 02:29 AM

QUOTE (EscoLehGo @ Sunday, Aug 11 2013, 01:29)
These are valid criticisms, they need to flesh out the wife's character a little more, we pretty much know nothing about her background at this point and it's hard to sympathize with someone when you don't know where they're coming from. One thing that bugs me a little is how naive Ray's kids are, how are two teenagers in LA that f*cking innocent and unaware? It doesn't add up but I guess it's possible.

I agree, man. Every person, every single one is an insufferable pain in the ass, except for his employees. His wife, his kids, his brothers, his clients. Serious though, I wanna continue watching this show, mainly for Liev. Ugh, I'll just give it a few more episodes to draw me in, but goddamn the wifey character is kind of all over the place. She either needs to leave or they should flesh out her character more, like you said. The kids are one-note so far and the writing for the girl was just stupid IMO. Jon Voigt continues to skeeve me, which is I'm sure the general idea. He does that quite well, although I'm not sure how much I really want to see him.

On other news, I've seen all the eps aired till now. There was some unexpected humor in the last episode. The kids are f*cking annoying. Are they really that stupid that they can't see that their father is trying to protect them?

Rudy
  • Rudy

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • France

Posted 24 August 2013 - 09:27 AM

Has anyone seen the latest episode yet? Anway, I did. So Ray thought that Mickey dislocated Bridget's shoulder but it was really Terry and Bunchy. I wonder what else he blames Mickey for that wasn't really his fault? I'm not trying to excuse Mickey at all because it's pretty obvious from his behavior with his kids that he was not a great dad, but still.

Abby remains an annoying idiot. With the parenting we have seen from her, it's no wonder those dopey kids aren't more screwed up than they are. I hated the fact that she made all of those decisions regarding Bridget w/o consulting Ray just so she can "assert" herself and "make decisions" which she harped on last episode. Given her choices regarding Bridget in this episode, it's clear why Ray kept a tight leash on her in "making decisions."

I missed Ezra in this episode.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users