» «
Photo

---Grand Theft Auto Online---

298 replies to this topic
DontCallMeSurly
  • DontCallMeSurly

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 05 August 2013 - 05:06 AM Edited by DontCallMeSurly, 05 August 2013 - 05:39 AM.

Howdy GTA community,

First, great "thread." Always a nice read to see the imagination of others at work. "Phatgordo13" has some pretty cool ideas that would make for a very interesting multiplayer experience.

Before anything else, to Phatgordo13, I highly recommend you check out a game called "APB." It's a PC game that's basically built with the foundation of your ideas in this thread. However, I haven't checked in a while, but last I recall the servers may have been shut down... Maybe only temporarily though. Still, check it out!

- http://www.gamersfirst.com/apb/

Anyway, that's not why I wanted to write this reply. I wanted to get everyone's opinion on one matter... Trains in multiplayer. Could you guys and gals imagine you would use trains in multiplayer, and what for? Moreover, in relation to this thread, how would you use trains in Phatgordo13's-style GTA multiplayer?

And a question to Phatgordo13, how would you use trains in your view of Grand Theft Auto Online, if at all?

Thanks for reading and see you all in Los Santos!

SimsDaniel916
  • SimsDaniel916

Future LE Officer

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 05 August 2013 - 05:12 AM

QUOTE (Zeta87 @ Monday, Aug 5 2013, 04:44)
QUOTE (CryptReaperDorian @ Monday, Aug 5 2013, 06:31)
2.)  Dedicated servers.  No more of this hosted crap.  I can't stress this enough.  Also, getting disconnected from a host in recent R* titles means that you get kicked out of the server.  Come on R*, you're not this cheap.

3.)  Server-side networking with servers for different regions.  You can solve so many problems (like getting killed through walls) if the server keeps track of the players, not other players keeping track of the players (client-side networking).  Also, server-side networking will increase the immersion when me and my friends have a play session at one of our houses.  With server-side networking, you'll here the same player and pedestrian quotes through each player's TV, and objects (like dead bodies) will be in the same spot on each person's screen.  Client-side networking is archaic, and it's often times paired with lag compensation that overcompensates (giving the player with the worse connection, or higher ping, the advantage).  Again R*, you're not this cheap.

Disconnecting from friends games and it saying that I was "kicked" was very flustering. Really hoping this has been fixed in V.

freak19930
  • freak19930

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 05 August 2013 - 08:12 AM

I am sure there will be crew safe houses and individual cribs and such. But all this talk of rivalries and basically organization on the level of actual god damn criminal organizations is a bit too hopeful. The only games I can think of being even close to what you want are Day Z and EVE online. Both are pretty boring IMO. Red Dead's way of doing it so that you can start matches from the free roam and your posse will be on your team works pretty well.

Talib
  • Talib

ज्ञान Talib

• BUSTED!

Posted 05 August 2013 - 08:15 AM

QUOTE (freak19930 @ Monday, Aug 5 2013, 08:12)
I am sure there will be crew safe houses and individual cribs and such. But all this talk of rivalries and basically organization on the level of actual god damn criminal organizations is a bit too hopeful. The only games I can think of being even close to what you want are Day Z and EVE online. Both are pretty boring IMO. Red Dead's way of doing it so that you can start matches from the free roam and your posse will be on your team works pretty well.

Day Z? Boring?.. lol icon13.gif

jebezz
  • jebezz

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 05 August 2013 - 09:22 AM

QUOTE (DontCallMeSurly @ Monday, Aug 5 2013, 05:06)
Howdy GTA community,

First, great "thread." Always a nice read to see the imagination of others at work. "Phatgordo13" has some pretty cool ideas that would make for a very interesting multiplayer experience.

Before anything else, to Phatgordo13, I highly recommend you check out a game called "APB." It's a PC game that's basically built with the foundation of your ideas in this thread. However, I haven't checked in a while, but last I recall the servers may have been shut down... Maybe only temporarily though. Still, check it out!

Anyway, that's not why I wanted to write this reply. I wanted to get everyone's opinion on one matter... Trains in multiplayer. Could you guys and gals imagine you would use trains in multiplayer, and what for? Moreover, in relation to this thread, how would you use trains in Phatgordo13's-style GTA multiplayer?

And a question to Phatgordo13, how would you use trains in your view of Grand Theft Auto Online, if at all?

Fun fact: original APB was designed by DMA Design/Rockstar North founder David Jones after he left Rockstar.

DontCallMeSurly
  • DontCallMeSurly

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 05 August 2013 - 04:40 PM

QUOTE (jebezz @ Monday, Aug 5 2013, 09:22)
QUOTE (DontCallMeSurly @ Monday, Aug 5 2013, 05:06)
Howdy GTA community,

Fun fact: original APB was designed by DMA Design/Rockstar North founder David Jones after he left Rockstar.

Really? That would explain a lot...

Stormingz
  • Stormingz

Menace to society.

• Members

Posted 05 August 2013 - 06:49 PM

We're going to find out pretty soon.

Phatgordo13
  • Phatgordo13

Corredo "Cordero" Corleone

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None
  • Best Gang 2014 [GTAF Crew]

Posted 05 August 2013 - 11:18 PM Edited by Phatgordo13, 06 August 2013 - 12:05 AM.

QUOTE (freak19930 @ Monday, Aug 5 2013, 03:12)

Actually, I think this may be the easiest and most natural addition to the multiplayer experience.

Max Payne 3 really took a step in a different direction with the concept of crews, and as it sits right now is pretty minimal interaction from the stand point of ranks, organization etc.

You can recruit, ban, and boot players from your crew, but beyond that there is nothing. A ranking system would easily be implemented to the existing Social Club setup.

What exactly, remains to be seen.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*EDIT*

Here is the section on the drug trade. Hopefully I covered most of it, but if not, let me know what I missed. I'm really hoping for this element of gameplay for both single player and the online experience.

Cheers.

The Drug Trade

The biggest complaint I had personally with GTA IV was that once the story line was completed, I had very little incentive to continue playing. The usual suspects of hidden items, stunts, etc are always nice to have, but after the story, what's the purpose? My existence within Liberty City had become meaningless. Niko had nothing to work for, nothing to gain, and most importantly, nothing to maintain.

user posted image

From the onset of information regarding GTA V, it has been made clear that there is a huge emphasis upon the pursuit of the almighty dollar. Rockstar has paid close attention to their fans, and added many optional elements to the single player campaign that, hopefully, will extend to the multiplayer experience. One item of discussion that has come up time and time again that Rockstar has, thus far, remained silent about is the drug trade.

The success of Chinatown Wars involving the drug trade gave cause to many GTA fans ranting and raving about the extended game play element. The pursuit of a drug empire added hours upon hours of playability. Chinatown Wars was only made available on the Nintendo DS, and unfortunatly unavailable to many GTA fans.

user posted image

It must be noted that the implamentation of a drug trade system would be highly controversial topic for a game set to potentially sell 20 million copies world wide. Grand Theft Auto has been controversial since the first installment. The controversey was a selling point for DMA way back when and likely the reason why many of us found GTA in the first place.

My point is, that even if Rockstar has already implemented a drug trade in the GTA V single player campaign there is no reason for them to talk about it now. Obviously, the game will sell because of a well established fan base. Controversey now, is not necessarily a good thing for business, and I wouldn't be surprised if the first time you hear about it, is when you first play the game.

This is how I imagine it...

A working drug economy is a profound step to creating a living GTA world. If the purchases you make within the city directly effect the prices, and your competition, that then really opens a pandoras box of possability in terms of continuous game play. For the first time in the GTA series, money will actually mean something. In the example of the drug world, you will be able to spend your money to supply your dealears and organization with drugs, guns, and places of business. As your operation expands you will be responsible of hiring distribution and dealing with all of the trouble that follows. Furthermore, conflict will rise with competing organizations and in the case of drug warfare, the casualties suffered will effect the power of the given organization. If a leader of a drug organization was killed, or the organization was simply bought out, the economy would fluctuate to open increased market share for new NPCs to step in.

user posted image

In the Online experience, this becomes a much more organic process. Instead of relying on a set of coding that will simulate certain economic conditions, the players involvment will directly determine the cost, value, and availabilty of any given product. For me, the most interesting piece of information we have recieved thus far is that of stock trading in single player. For this to work, there needs to be a system in place to simulate a living economy. For that, I have to wonder why Rockstar wouldn't take it a step further.

The existence of a drug market really opens up a lot of opportunity for potential game play and ties in to a lot of the topics we have already covered. Unscripted narrative? Check. Gang organization? Check. Territory? Check. Gang assets? Check.

In closing, the drug trade is the perfect example of what I believe to be the most important aspect needed to make Grand Theft Auto Online as revolutionary as advertised. Continuity. Whatever actions executed within the online realm must have long lasting consequence to any future experience. No longer should players be confined to a map, and a time limit. It's about time we realize the true potential of a living, breathing Grand Theft Auto.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So......?

What are some of your thoughts? Am I right, wrong, or close? I'd love to add your opinion to the front page!

Stormingz
  • Stormingz

Menace to society.

• Members

Posted 06 August 2013 - 12:25 AM

I would love to have a working drug economy, being able to buy drugs and then sell them on to other players, damn that just sounds awesome. It would really add to the continuity of the game. Scarface: the world is yours, is a good example, you were able to buy and sell cocaine, you had to travel to (Bolivia I think it was?) to pick up kilos of cocaine, then transport it back to Miami and sell it on, I played this game for ages after completing the main story, just because of the drug economy.

What I'm trying to say is having a working drug economy would add real replay value to the game. If anyone feels the same way I do, well, you'll be glued to the game for hours.

Phatgordo13
  • Phatgordo13

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 06 August 2013 - 12:35 AM

QUOTE (Stormingz @ Monday, Aug 5 2013, 19:25)
I would love to have a working drug economy, being able to buy drugs and then sell them on to other players, damn that just sounds awesome. It would really add to the continuity of the game. Scarface: the world is yours, is a good example, you were able to buy and sell cocaine, you had to travel to (Bolivia I think it was?) to pick up kilos of cocaine, then transport it back to Miami and sell it on, I played this game for ages after completing the main story, just because of the drug economy.

What I'm trying to say is having a working drug economy would add real replay value to the game. If anyone feels the same way I do, well, you'll be glued to the game for hours.

So much of what I am excited about for GTA V is the optional additional game play.

Property. Stocks. Cars. Businesses. Etc.

I'm sure the story will be great, and I'm sure it'll be a blast, but I want to be able to play GTA V two years after release as vigorously as I will in the first week!

You don't have to like the concept to be on board with it, and that has always been so frustrating. It's an element of gameplay that would be optional, and in that no way interfering with anyone's experience.

So why wouldn't it be added to the game? Is a better question.

When you then apply this to the online experience, than potentially, the experience is never ending. If R*s approach to Grand Theft Auto Online, is to transcend GTA V and become an ever growing online experience from title to title, then they are going to have to deliver gameplay that gives me incentive to return time and time again.

Deffpony
  • Deffpony

Stay Golden Ponyboy

• None

Posted 06 August 2013 - 12:37 AM

A working drug economy in GTAO would be tough. But it could be a cool version of a gang war/turf war.

Lets say you can do drug deals in MP, and lets assume GTAO is persistent. The first time to try and do a drug deal it tells you that "Player X" has this territory, so deal at your own risk. If you complete a certain amount of drug deals in that area you will officially own that area in terms of dealing territory.

On the flip side if someone starts dealing in your territory you will get a call/txt message saying "They seen someone dealing in your territory." You will have the chance to take the terriotry back/ defend it, or even attack dealers in the middle of their sales.

Now what would be cool is if they linked this through the crews. Say I am in Crew X and you are in Crew Y. A Y member starts dealing in my territory, then all my crew members are alerted and will be able to defend the turf. This would create a fairly constant struggle for power in Los Santos.

The only down side to this, is that it can become fairly annoying. Obviously we cant play the game 24/7 to defend our turf, and being alerted every time someone starts dealing in our area would be probably annoying.

A small band-aid to this would be npc recruitment. After you have a certain amount of turf you can recruit npc's to defend your drug turf. You can spend a few bucks and hire a couple of guys that will probably just get mowed down, or you can drop some serious cash and pay for some serious protection that would discourage even the most zealous entrepenuer. Yet again creating another means for spending cash.

Phatgordo13
  • Phatgordo13

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 06 August 2013 - 12:45 AM

QUOTE (deffpony @ Monday, Aug 5 2013, 19:37)
A working drug economy in GTAO would be tough. But it could be a cool version of a gang war/turf war.

Lets say you can do drug deals in MP, and lets assume GTAO is persistent. The first time to try and do a drug deal it tells you that "Player X" has this territory, so deal at your own risk. If you complete a certain amount of drug deals in that area you will officially own that area in terms of dealing territory.

On the flip side if someone starts dealing in your territory you will get a call/txt message saying "They seen someone dealing in your territory." You will have the chance to take the terriotry back/ defend it, or even attack dealers in the middle of their sales.

Now what would be cool is if they linked this through the crews. Say I am in Crew X and you are in Crew Y. A Y member starts dealing in my territory, then all my crew members are alerted and will be able to defend the turf. This would create a fairly constant struggle for power in Los Santos.

The only down side to this, is that it can become fairly annoying. Obviously we cant play the game 24/7 to defend our turf, and being alerted every time someone starts dealing in our area would be probably annoying.

A small band-aid to this would be npc recruitment. After you have a certain amount of turf you can recruit npc's to defend your drug turf. You can spend a few bucks and hire a couple of guys that will probably just get mowed down, or you can drop some serious cash and pay for some serious protection that would discourage even the most zealous entrepenuer. Yet again creating another means for spending cash.

I have basically followed the same thought process.

The idea of NPCs defending turf has been applied to that of safe houses so that your safe house will have goons even if no crew members are online. I had suggested that these NPCs would actually be a more lethal foe than any human controlled player just to discourage players and crews from attacking those who are not online.

Perhaps, however, in light of the 'parallel universe' concept, crews will be able to operate alone on a map without interacting with other players or crews.

What I mean is, that you and your crew can run all over Los Santos selling drugs and only once you actively engage a rival crew does the concept of turf come into play.

This could be accomplished by some sort of 'planning room' within safe houses which acts as a command center for engaging crews, safe houses, turf, etc.

or perhaps that once a crew is deemed a 'rival' their turf is intertwined with yours. Obviously then you wouldn't want to be at war with 5 to 10 separate crews at once as this would be too much to handle.

Thinking out loud here...

Deffpony
  • Deffpony

Stay Golden Ponyboy

• None

Posted 06 August 2013 - 01:04 AM

I think something like that would be cool gordo. There should be a way for crews to have fun and put in work without worrying about the constant assault of online enemies.

All I keep thinking about is some douche bag in a hydra going around killing everyone and not allowing people to actually do anything, whether its racing, drug deals, or just voyuerism

Phatgordo13
  • Phatgordo13

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 06 August 2013 - 01:17 AM

QUOTE (deffpony @ Monday, Aug 5 2013, 20:04)
I think something like that would be cool gordo. There should be a way for crews to have fun and put in work without worrying about the constant assault of online enemies.

All I keep thinking about is some douche bag in a hydra going around killing everyone and not allowing people to actually do anything, whether its racing, drug deals, or just voyuerism

A big part of making this all work is allowing crews to get to know each other. Whether that's shooting pool in a safe house or running drugs through los Santos. Multiplayer doesn't have to be a constant shoot out. Id be very interested in running with my crew against NPCs as much if not more than other players.

Honest Bill
  • Honest Bill

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 06 August 2013 - 01:18 AM

QUOTE (deffpony @ Tuesday, Aug 6 2013, 01:04)

Just give players a viable way to kill a guy in a hydra. Also, make players who want a hydra have to actually pay for it with money they must earn, and make randomly killing players in a hydra, not very profitable. Et voila, problem solved.

Deffpony
  • Deffpony

Stay Golden Ponyboy

• None

Posted 06 August 2013 - 01:21 AM

QUOTE (Phatgordo13 @ Monday, Aug 5 2013, 20:17)

A big part of making this all work is allowing crews to get to know each other. Whether that's shooting pool in a safe house or running drugs through los Santos. Multiplayer doesn't have to be a constant shoot out. Id be very interested in running with my crew against NPCs as much if not more than other players.

After all the build up in IV about bowling, darts, and pool with your friends, to this day I still cant figure out why you are unable to do these online with friends

DaRkL3AD3R
  • DaRkL3AD3R

Big Homie

• BUSTED!

Posted 06 August 2013 - 02:48 AM

I just want to say that I'm a little bit butthurt that Rockstar said at the end of the gameplay trailer regarding the online reveal "which we will show you properly soon" and that was on the 9th of July.

Here we are, first full week of August, and still no freaking word. So the earliest it looks like we'll get that trailer is August 13th, next week. So over a month is "soon" to them? That's freaking obnoxious. I'm betting this is the last trailer we get before the game goes live.

upyoustolemylungs
  • upyoustolemylungs

Prankster

• Members

Posted 06 August 2013 - 03:03 AM

Just wanted to share this with ya guys:

user posted image

Interesting that they responded to this out of everything. Maybe gives us some insight on how crews can interact co-operate with other crews...?

Proxima
  • Proxima

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 06 August 2013 - 03:08 AM

This was sort of short version of my opinion. I got tired of typing it.

Let me know what you guys think about my opinion and speculation. I've been thinking about doing a longer, more in-depth video about possibilities/speculation/etc. That was more or less the short version.

gpcguy1
  • gpcguy1

Soldier

• Members

Posted 06 August 2013 - 03:24 AM

QUOTE (upyoustolemylungs @ Tuesday, Aug 6 2013, 03:03)

user posted image

Interesting that they responded to this out of everything. Maybe gives us some insight on how crews can interact co-operate with other crews...?

Of course you can cooperate with other crews, just talk to them on a mic or message...

UP9390
  • UP9390

Railfan, Sheriff of Los Santos County - PSN

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 August 2013 - 03:40 AM

This is why im hoping we have the Army and Air Force National Guard in-game so people playing as Police can have military assistance when some sh*t like this happens. Constant attacks are a major problem when patroling on IV, it's necessary to keep restocking on health, armor and ammo to keep alive and your car repaired so you are not stranded in a SHTF situation. RPG's are one of the biggest problems, anytime someone tries following me all over the map I have my Patrol Rifle ready and pull off the road if they try anything. Regular IV is better than TBOGT because the choppers do not have explosive rounds. Plus you can easily take down a chopper with a few M4's aimed at the chopper on IV.

UP9390
  • UP9390

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 August 2013 - 03:42 AM

QUOTE (upyoustolemylungs @ Monday, Aug 5 2013, 22:03)

user posted image

I can see this being a problem for us(Police Clans).

UP9390
  • UP9390

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 August 2013 - 03:48 AM

QUOTE (DontCallMeSurly @ Monday, Aug 5 2013, 00:06)
Howdy GTA community,

I hope the trains will run online and can be operated by the player, after all I am a Railfan. I will use the trains to get around the map on multiplayer, it adds more areas for people playing as Law Enforcement to watch over.

Raavi
  • Raavi

• None
  • Best Moderator 2014
    Winner of World Cup 2014 Prediction League
    Best Forum Ledby 2013
    Most Improved 2013

Posted 06 August 2013 - 03:56 AM Edited by Raavi, 06 August 2013 - 04:04 AM.

Had a fun little 'crew' going on in IV for a while, it was sort of a 'strike-team' that deployed in a convoy of 2 - 4 black SUVs, and one guy in a buzzard. Looking forward to expanding this concept in V.

Now I think of it, I might turn something like this into a full-on crew with multiple teams. Should be interesting.

-

On a sidenote: With armored tires being confirmed, I hope one of the car customization options is armor for the entire car. And that it's available in GTA Online.

arrowface10
  • arrowface10

The Protagonist

• BUSTED!

Posted 06 August 2013 - 04:07 AM

Man with all this info. and speculation I am pumped for GTA V and GTA Online more then ever!

hobodealerr
  • hobodealerr

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 06 August 2013 - 05:32 AM

Some really good ideas in there.

In addition to this, what if a gang becomes so powerful that they literally take over the entire game world...? Then how would other gangs buy up safe-houses and property? As far as drug dealing goes, what if the aforementioned gang controls all drug dealing territory? The only thing that I can think of that would make this less of an issue is if there were multiple servers that players could join.

Honest Bill
  • Honest Bill

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 06 August 2013 - 06:04 AM

QUOTE (hobodealerr @ Tuesday, Aug 6 2013, 05:32)

In addition to this, what if a gang becomes so powerful that they literally take over the entire game world...? Then how would other gangs buy up safe-houses and property? As far as drug dealing goes, what if the aforementioned gang controls all drug dealing territory? The only thing that I can think of that would make this less of an issue is if there were multiple servers that players could join.

You would have to work for them, or against them.

Altiman364
  • Altiman364

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 06 August 2013 - 06:11 AM

QUOTE (hobodealerr @ Tuesday, Aug 6 2013, 05:32)

THEY WILL HAVE AN UPRISING ON THEY'RE HANDS!!!!

Twiggy123
  • Twiggy123

HNIC of the NN

• Members

Posted 06 August 2013 - 06:20 AM Edited by Twiggy123, 06 August 2013 - 06:23 AM.

QUOTE (gpcguy1 @ Tuesday, Aug 6 2013, 03:24)

Of course you can cooperate with other crews, just talk to them on a mic or message...

I think he meant more along the lines of physical cooperation. Maybe this guy wants his crew to be strictly a service for other crews to hire for a profit. A crew hires his transport for X amount of dollars and gets the money depending on if he completed the task and maybe even a bonus for efficiency. Also, since his crew is only a service and would probably not be as powerful or rich as the crews that deal in drugs and guns, or both, maybe he could hire an already existing crew that is in said trades that have guns and power to be protection for his crew. This is the type of crew interaction and cooperation that would deepen the multiplayer for me at least.

ironmiket
  • ironmiket

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 06 August 2013 - 03:24 PM

gta 5 zombie mode??????????

Links below:

https://www.change.o...e-a-zombie-mode

https://www.youtube....st=HL1375802070

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users