---Grand Theft Auto Online---

298 replies to this topic
B Dawg
  • B Dawg

What exactly are we doing?

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 08 July 2013 - 04:34 PM

A code that comes with the game? No, we don't want online pass.

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Scuse me, while I kiss this guy.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Most Knowledgeable [Movies & TV] 2013

Posted 08 July 2013 - 05:16 PM Edited by darthYENIK, 08 July 2013 - 05:18 PM.

I think we're definitely getting an open world free roam multiplayer, like RDR, where you start out in that free roam mode, and then travel around the map playing little side missions and game modes. But Rockstar doesn't just repeat aspects of it's game like that, they improve upon it. My big hope for "GTA online" is the customization of the multiplayer. The best times I had on GTAIV multiplayer were playing games made up by the players, either in free roam or using a few of the rules of other games, but going in another direction. Things ranging from jumping out of a helicopter a thousand feet up trying to land in a swimming pool, tag/hide and seek type games, and king of the hill type games where a bunch of players get try to be the only person alive on top of a building or in a precarious location. These were great multiplayer experiences, that go beyond just shooting each other, or teaming up to shoot someone else.

I would love if Rockstar indulged us in this. Gave us the tools in-game, to create our own game modes and scenarios on the fly. It doesn't need to be "Little Big Planet" level of customization, just enough modification to change the experience.

22ka
  • 22ka

VETRON

• Members

Posted 08 July 2013 - 07:05 PM

Hmm this is all very interesting.

Here's my ideas if you don't mind(they a bit similar to yours)

Its called GTAO not GTAVO so wat are they trying to say exacatally?

Well I THINK that maybe they will use all the HD
maps(IV and V) to allow more room for players on the server at any given time. Heck maybe just maybe they could even use the RDR map, MC:LA map, MP3 map(s).

I'm sure R* will do something very ambitious with this multiplayer. Look what they did with IV as their first attempt and how they furthured it with RDR then added crews in MP3. Now they can put all that together in gta v to make a great game. I can only imagine how they would do it.

I'm sure they have seen the gta vids on youtubes and their limitations especially when people try make movies. I expect way more life with this game and also a video replay feature.

They can make this game into an amazing rpgmmo. If any1 can do this on current gen its them. They probebly have partnered themselves with some big gaming server or something inorr to push this game to its absolute limit

richard1997jones
  • richard1997jones

Homie

• Members

Posted 08 July 2013 - 08:31 PM

IV except with planes and all the stuff that will be in the ordinary edition biggrin.gif

ProTrainFollower
  • ProTrainFollower

Snitch

• Members

Posted 08 July 2013 - 08:38 PM

You should work for Rockstar.

Njale
  • Njale

Prankster

• Members

Posted 08 July 2013 - 09:24 PM

what OP described is what SAMP and MTA have been doing for years, you wont find better online experience than those 2 modifications. Just try them out and you will find out rockstar will never manage to replicate it.

Killerdude8
  • Killerdude8

And Remember, Respect is Everything!

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 08 July 2013 - 11:03 PM

QUOTE (Njale @ Monday, Jul 8 2013, 15:24)
what OP described is what SAMP and MTA have been doing for years, you wont find better online experience than those 2 modifications. Just try them out and you will find out rockstar will never manage to replicate it.

Lag.
So much lag it is not even funny.
suicidal.gif

Phatgordo13
  • Phatgordo13

Corredo "Cordero" Corleone

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 09 July 2013 - 03:30 AM Edited by Phatgordo13, 09 July 2013 - 03:35 AM.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed thus far! Hopefully we can compile a fairly thorough outline of what we expect to see from Grand Theft Auto Online in the future. After all, you never know who's watching.

sigh.gif

I've been reading some of the comments through out the day, and I began to think of a solution to the problem of continuity and massive amounts of players on a single map.

Again, I'm not going to pretend I'm an expert in this concept, but from what I have gathered I am curious as to why no one has mentioned this yet....

user posted image
The Cloud.

I really did find it interesting that GTA V will be bundled with the PS3 and a head set. I don't believe that is simply incidental swag, but quite a clue to what we can expect.

Sony has made a big 'to do' about its acquisition of Gaikai. It's opened up some really wild potential for future gaming.

Please, someone correct me if I am wrong, but couldn't Sony utilize Gaikai to power these massive maps, and vast quantities of players through the cloud video streaming? I would imagine that, the possibilities are limitless at that point when a player is no longer confined to their console.

Thoughts?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I want to high light some of the better comments Ive read thus far, and hopefully further the conversations to some degree.

QUOTE (canttakemyid)
It's very possible within the next decade, but I don't see it on V this gen. It's kinda like the massive map that one guy made with the whole west coast in V. We all know GTA will someday reach that status, but for now we have to be realistic. R* could surprise us though, but you never know I guess.

I don't think it is so much a focus on the map size of GTA V. We've argued that enough. biggrin.gif The way I see it, is Grand Theft Auto could begin to encompass the entire HD universe moving forward, perhaps even including GTA IV Liberty City.

Honestly, where does GTA go from here? I don't want to get too ahead of myself but I think it's safe to assume at some point moving forward we can expect a fully fleshed out HD version of Vice City, Las Venturas, and San Fierro. Each time these cities could be added to the world of Grand Theft Auto Online.

Remember GTA 1, anyone?

user posted image
Lets talk about it....

QUOTE (Vex_Doppel)
A bunch of coop missions. Much much more indepth of course to the point of it being its own story. I have some other ideas but I'm more hopeful than confident that they'll be in the game. So I'll leave those alone for now.

I like this concept. A lot. To some degree, the narratives can write themselves between the online interaction between crews. If the goals are broad enough such as; robbery, safe house take over, assassinations, etc. The "side quest" aspect would be endless.

There could be a system built in, which would allow players and crews of higher stature becoming targets for up and comers on the scene. Being good at the game shouldn't just come with its rewards, but also its challenges.

The down fall of being the king, is that everyone is trying to knock you off. Em I right?

QUOTE (Tobias_Rieper)
Apparently you haven't run across any annoying hackers or matches of Race or Cops 'n Crooks where people just goof off. Or maybe you have but don't care much for playing objective game modes. Might I suggest you look up the definition of sportsmanship... All I'm saying is it ruins the game. If people want to mess around, that's what free mode is for.

I believe the hacker issue is worth noting. I think to some degree, game publishers all over have gotten better at addressing this issue. Wasn't there some sort of system implemented with Max Payne 3 that was quite successful?

I think if a system is implemented where players battle for more than points and bragging rights, then that would help weed out the goof balls. Goof balls would just be stats for your crew to rack up.

QUOTE (JOSEPH X)
Nice post OP, but I don't think your online safehouse will be in the public space.

Remember you can switch instantaneously between any of the single player characters and your online character. Basically you will have the single player gameworld to yourself, as going into a multiplayer free mode would require a load - something they said ain't gonna happen.

Now whether this acts as a party mode where you can invite other players in we don't know yet, but it's possible you can invite friends, players met or your fellow R* crew members to your space and assemble before going into a public match. What makes me doubt this is that you can switch back to a single player character, which would leave your friends high and dry. So I think you would have to load a party mode.

The other thing is that they just wouldn't design it so people could destroy your stuff - it would be perfect griefer bait. No, I think the world of your GTAO character will be safe from trolls, and it will be where your progress will be expressed as you play the GTAO "metagame". This is how I see it going down:

Because you can switch to your online character instantaneously, all the single player shops will still be open. They will all contain a stream of unlocks which are personal to your progress in multiplayer. For example, you win ten deathmatches and you unlock a tattoo in the tattoo parlour - you can then take your character to have the tattoo done and the next time you play a deathmatch everyone can see you've achieved the tattoo.

That's just one example. There will be a ton of unlocks including homes, garages, cars, clothing, weapons etc etc. First you will have to unlock it by completing objectives, then you will have to buy it with money earned from matches. To unlock everything you're going to have to be a good all-rounder - you will have to win deathmatches, team deathmatches, races and complete tasks in free roam. In your online characters journey you will start at the bottom and make your way to the top, where you own the big mansion with a garage and all the cars.

What I'm hoping for is some way you can lose it all and come crashing down to the bottom again. That would really spice up the matches knowing that your progress is on the line. Whatever it is I'm looking forward to it. Hopefully it will have a lot of depth to it.

A lot a lot a lot of good stuff here. I would like to try to further this conversation.

I get your point about the switching between single and multiplayer, but what are your thoughts on the implementation of video streaming? Does that solve the problem?

Perhaps with a safe house comes A.I. goons to protect your sh*t? Perhaps this is the answer to what happens when you go offline. Depending on the scores of your crew, and the individuals within the crew, there will be an AI skeleton crew of sorts that will protect the safe house when you are not online. This would further the idea of crews that would not have to necessarily be online to succeed or fail.

Obviously, this would have to be worked out in a way which would make it increasingly difficult to attack a safe house without online players. Perhaps, it would actually be harder to achieve that task than it would to go up against the players online? From the previews of single player we have seen thus far, the heists won't always be as simple as breaking in, shooting a couple people, and running off with loot.

There are different degrees of difficulty depending on what you are going against. Should it not be the same for multiplayer?

QUOTE (meta187)
You could also have social activities within the base. Pool, Air Hockey, Table Tennis. Random Fist fights (Fight Club if you like)? The possibilities are endless here. With the on going prospect of future DLC it's never too late to make suggestions.

I think this is one of the most interesting bits about it all. Will these activities be included online? Do you remember the bit on the OGA about, "Well meta, wanna play darts?" lol I get it.

BUT!

Think about it between me and you. We live hundreds if not thousands of miles a part, but what would stop us from meeting up at the crew's safe house and shooting some pool while we shoot the sh*t over the head sets?

This is something I'm quite excited about, to my own surprise.

Social integration.

I got friends who now live all across the country, who I otherwise wouldn't be able to hang out with. Online gaming, would take twitter, and facebook to the next level. We could virtually meet up online, for the purpose of kickin' it.

I understand the anxiety of society further distancing itself from face to face interaction, and you won't meet a bigger advocate of that argument than me. However, this is the route we have taken, and from a gaming publisher's/business perspective. It.Just.Makes.Sense.

People already play games online with friends. Words with friends, FFS! Now these games could be played in real time.

QUOTE (BeardedxMic)
While I'd be very happy to have the things you listed implemented, I can't say that I think they will be. A lot of them would be very difficult to transfer from one game to another. And seeing as the level of detail involved is supposed to be massive, I can't imagine the game being able to re-construct a building on a whim every time a game starts. What I could see, is the higher your level, the better hood you spawn in. Giving you better opportunities to rob others of cash/xp.

Am I crazy to think Grand Theft Auto Online transcends GTA V? The way I have read into it, is Grand Theft Auto Online is an entity within itself that will only become bigger with the addition of GTA V, and future titles.

Again, I have to ask, what are your thoughts about the video streaming aspect of cloud gaming? I'm really curious if someone can pin this concept down.

QUOTE (Honest Bill)
Maybe the more you earn for the Ballas over time, the higher you rise within the ranks and you then gain access to better equipment as befits your status within the crew.

Damn. That's awesome.

Tell me you wouldn't feel like a boss being in the upper echelon of one of the biggest GTA Crews online? lol I would.

That's something I haven't considered, honestly. Additionally, thats a great tie in to what the Public Gang Chat was about. Within these crews were ranks which were given based off of respect in the community. If you were in the administration of one of the bigger or more respected crews on the forum, you were somebody.

Now translate that to Grand Theft Auto Online. Let's take your example of the Ballas. Lets say they are the biggest crew online. If you're the boss. You're somebody. You earned that sh*t, and you're a marked man for it.

QUOTE (darthYENIK )
I would love if Rockstar indulged us in this. Gave us the tools in-game, to create our own game modes and scenarios on the fly. It doesn't need to be "Little Big Planet" level of customization, just enough modification to change the experience.

I'm curious if you could further that concept a bit more. I'd like to hear what you have in mind.

That sort of touches base with my idea of the entire "Grand Theft Nation" being open all the time, and really being able to do whatever it is you f*ckin' please. Isn't that what Grand Theft Auto is all about?

22ka
  • 22ka

VETRON

• Members

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:17 PM

What did we get out of that last scene in the vid. Just how many players were shown in it?

sublimelabs
  • sublimelabs

The Jimmy Rustler

• Members

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:25 PM

QUOTE (22ka @ Tuesday, Jul 9 2013, 19:17)
What did we get out of that last scene in the vid. Just how many players were shown in it?

Username 'GTADev19' was seen, so we can assume there will be 24-32 players online. Maybe more? Who knows. I didn't see any pedestrians. There's a possibility Rockstar wants the players to really feel like part of the world, allowing for roleplay like SAMP. Must be limited, though, because having only 32 players populate the world would seem off. tounge.gif

Having more than 16 players online is impressive right off the bat, especially for an open-world multiplayer game.

Degrees
  • Degrees

Soldier

• Members

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:29 PM

Maybe next Gen V seems like the stepping stone.

Phatgordo13
  • Phatgordo13

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 10 July 2013 - 03:24 AM

QUOTE (22ka @ Tuesday, Jul 9 2013, 14:17)

That could be an accurate tool for measurement, and it also could not be.

We could say, we saw 19 players, so there will only be.....(X) players.

We could also say, we only saw 19 players in that section of the map. Smell me?

I'm more interested in finding out what will power this thing. Dedicated servers? The cloud? I've honestly only looked at this from the perspective of a Sony owner. Some of you XBox cats are going to have to help me out with this.

I will be updating the front page in the next few days to include some of the great ideas that have been contributed thus far. Thanks for everyone's input, and hopefully we can further some of these conversations.

Cheers.

jdowning
  • jdowning

Snitch

• Members

Posted 10 July 2013 - 03:50 AM

QUOTE (Phatgordo13 @ Wednesday, Jul 10 2013, 04:24)
QUOTE (22ka @ Tuesday, Jul 9 2013, 14:17)

I'm more interested in finding out what will power this thing. Dedicated servers? The cloud? I've honestly only looked at this from the perspective of a Sony owner. Some of you XBox cats are going to have to help me out with this.

Dedicated servers and the cloud are sort of the same thing - 'cloud' is just a pumped up term of a server in a data centre. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I think it'll remain as a dedicated server type game as I fear there'd be too many interruptions with host migration, people leaving & not having sufficient bandwidth etc. If the game is to be bigger than it's current size, it would definitely be stored on Rockstar servers (or the servers they rent).

Don't think the 'GTAdev19' is a clue in any shape or form. May have just been using different accounts etc & I don't think they'd give info away that quick just yet.

Thanks for the info on this thread by the way!

Phatgordo13
  • Phatgordo13

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 12 July 2013 - 03:49 AM

Hello again everyone!

Big thanks to everyone that has participated thus far. We have already come up with some great ideas, and created conversations on the potential problems and draw backs of some of the suggested ideas.

It is the on going conversation that will further refine these ideas to more realistic suggestions that may in fact be implemented within the game, or DLCs down the road.

I hope everyone will continue to throw in their ideas for Grand Theft Auto Online, and also make sure I am not getting too crazy with my ideas. biggrin.gif

I updated the front page to include some of the community's opinion on the originally suggested ideas, while also adding a few new concepts.

• Grand Theft Auto America
  • Unscripted
  • Ranks
  • Death

I hope to get some feed back on these new concepts as I've, for the most part, only worked them out in my own head. I was inspired by some of your comments to create some new categories, so please, involve yourself in tweaking these ideas to make them better, and more plausible.

Cheers.

motorider420
  • motorider420

MotoRider42HC

• Members

Posted 12 July 2013 - 03:54 AM

Epic post. Just plain epic.

Ibrahimhassounah
  • Ibrahimhassounah

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 12 July 2013 - 03:56 AM

QUOTE (Phatgordo13 @ Tuesday, Jul 9 2013, 03:30)
Thank you to everyone who has contributed thus far! Hopefully we can compile a fairly thorough outline of what we expect to see from Grand Theft Auto Online in the future. After all, you never know who's watching.

sigh.gif

I've been reading some of the comments through out the day, and I began to think of a solution to the problem of continuity and massive amounts of players on a single map.

Again, I'm not going to pretend I'm an expert in this concept, but from what I have gathered I am curious as to why no one has mentioned this yet....

user posted image
The Cloud.

I really did find it interesting that GTA V will be bundled with the PS3 and a head set. I don't believe that is simply incidental swag, but quite a clue to what we can expect.

Sony has made a big 'to do' about its acquisition of Gaikai. It's opened up some really wild potential for future gaming.

Please, someone correct me if I am wrong, but couldn't Sony utilize Gaikai to power these massive maps, and vast quantities of players through the cloud video streaming? I would imagine that, the possibilities are limitless at that point when a player is no longer confined to their console.

Thoughts?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I want to high light some of the better comments Ive read thus far, and hopefully further the conversations to some degree.

QUOTE (canttakemyid)
It's very possible within the next decade, but I don't see it on V this gen. It's kinda like the massive map that one guy made with the whole west coast in V. We all know GTA will someday reach that status, but for now we have to be realistic. R* could surprise us though, but you never know I guess.

I don't think it is so much a focus on the map size of GTA V. We've argued that enough. biggrin.gif The way I see it, is Grand Theft Auto could begin to encompass the entire HD universe moving forward, perhaps even including GTA IV Liberty City.

Honestly, where does GTA go from here? I don't want to get too ahead of myself but I think it's safe to assume at some point moving forward we can expect a fully fleshed out HD version of Vice City, Las Venturas, and San Fierro. Each time these cities could be added to the world of Grand Theft Auto Online.

Remember GTA 1, anyone?

user posted image
Lets talk about it....

QUOTE (Vex_Doppel)
A bunch of coop missions. Much much more indepth of course to the point of it being its own story. I have some other ideas but I'm more hopeful than confident that they'll be in the game. So I'll leave those alone for now.

I like this concept. A lot. To some degree, the narratives can write themselves between the online interaction between crews. If the goals are broad enough such as; robbery, safe house take over, assassinations, etc. The "side quest" aspect would be endless.

There could be a system built in, which would allow players and crews of higher stature becoming targets for up and comers on the scene. Being good at the game shouldn't just come with its rewards, but also its challenges.

The down fall of being the king, is that everyone is trying to knock you off. Em I right?

QUOTE (Tobias_Rieper)
Apparently you haven't run across any annoying hackers or matches of Race or Cops 'n Crooks where people just goof off. Or maybe you have but don't care much for playing objective game modes. Might I suggest you look up the definition of sportsmanship... All I'm saying is it ruins the game. If people want to mess around, that's what free mode is for.

I believe the hacker issue is worth noting. I think to some degree, game publishers all over have gotten better at addressing this issue. Wasn't there some sort of system implemented with Max Payne 3 that was quite successful?

I think if a system is implemented where players battle for more than points and bragging rights, then that would help weed out the goof balls. Goof balls would just be stats for your crew to rack up.

QUOTE (JOSEPH X)
Nice post OP, but I don't think your online safehouse will be in the public space.

Remember you can switch instantaneously between any of the single player characters and your online character. Basically you will have the single player gameworld to yourself, as going into a multiplayer free mode would require a load - something they said ain't gonna happen.

Now whether this acts as a party mode where you can invite other players in we don't know yet, but it's possible you can invite friends, players met or your fellow R* crew members to your space and assemble before going into a public match. What makes me doubt this is that you can switch back to a single player character, which would leave your friends high and dry. So I think you would have to load a party mode.

The other thing is that they just wouldn't design it so people could destroy your stuff - it would be perfect griefer bait. No, I think the world of your GTAO character will be safe from trolls, and it will be where your progress will be expressed as you play the GTAO "metagame". This is how I see it going down:

Because you can switch to your online character instantaneously, all the single player shops will still be open. They will all contain a stream of unlocks which are personal to your progress in multiplayer. For example, you win ten deathmatches and you unlock a tattoo in the tattoo parlour - you can then take your character to have the tattoo done and the next time you play a deathmatch everyone can see you've achieved the tattoo.

That's just one example. There will be a ton of unlocks including homes, garages, cars, clothing, weapons etc etc. First you will have to unlock it by completing objectives, then you will have to buy it with money earned from matches. To unlock everything you're going to have to be a good all-rounder - you will have to win deathmatches, team deathmatches, races and complete tasks in free roam. In your online characters journey you will start at the bottom and make your way to the top, where you own the big mansion with a garage and all the cars.

What I'm hoping for is some way you can lose it all and come crashing down to the bottom again. That would really spice up the matches knowing that your progress is on the line. Whatever it is I'm looking forward to it. Hopefully it will have a lot of depth to it.

A lot a lot a lot of good stuff here. I would like to try to further this conversation.

I get your point about the switching between single and multiplayer, but what are your thoughts on the implementation of video streaming? Does that solve the problem?

Perhaps with a safe house comes A.I. goons to protect your sh*t? Perhaps this is the answer to what happens when you go offline. Depending on the scores of your crew, and the individuals within the crew, there will be an AI skeleton crew of sorts that will protect the safe house when you are not online. This would further the idea of crews that would not have to necessarily be online to succeed or fail.

Obviously, this would have to be worked out in a way which would make it increasingly difficult to attack a safe house without online players. Perhaps, it would actually be harder to achieve that task than it would to go up against the players online? From the previews of single player we have seen thus far, the heists won't always be as simple as breaking in, shooting a couple people, and running off with loot.

There are different degrees of difficulty depending on what you are going against. Should it not be the same for multiplayer?

QUOTE (meta187)
You could also have social activities within the base. Pool, Air Hockey, Table Tennis. Random Fist fights (Fight Club if you like)? The possibilities are endless here. With the on going prospect of future DLC it's never too late to make suggestions.

I think this is one of the most interesting bits about it all. Will these activities be included online? Do you remember the bit on the OGA about, "Well meta, wanna play darts?" lol I get it.

BUT!

Think about it between me and you. We live hundreds if not thousands of miles a part, but what would stop us from meeting up at the crew's safe house and shooting some pool while we shoot the sh*t over the head sets?

This is something I'm quite excited about, to my own surprise.

Social integration.

I got friends who now live all across the country, who I otherwise wouldn't be able to hang out with. Online gaming, would take twitter, and facebook to the next level. We could virtually meet up online, for the purpose of kickin' it.

I understand the anxiety of society further distancing itself from face to face interaction, and you won't meet a bigger advocate of that argument than me. However, this is the route we have taken, and from a gaming publisher's/business perspective. It.Just.Makes.Sense.

People already play games online with friends. Words with friends, FFS! Now these games could be played in real time.

QUOTE (BeardedxMic)
While I'd be very happy to have the things you listed implemented, I can't say that I think they will be. A lot of them would be very difficult to transfer from one game to another. And seeing as the level of detail involved is supposed to be massive, I can't imagine the game being able to re-construct a building on a whim every time a game starts. What I could see, is the higher your level, the better hood you spawn in. Giving you better opportunities to rob others of cash/xp.

Am I crazy to think Grand Theft Auto Online transcends GTA V? The way I have read into it, is Grand Theft Auto Online is an entity within itself that will only become bigger with the addition of GTA V, and future titles.

Again, I have to ask, what are your thoughts about the video streaming aspect of cloud gaming? I'm really curious if someone can pin this concept down.

QUOTE (Honest Bill)
Maybe the more you earn for the Ballas over time, the higher you rise within the ranks and you then gain access to better equipment as befits your status within the crew.

Damn. That's awesome.

Tell me you wouldn't feel like a boss being in the upper echelon of one of the biggest GTA Crews online? lol I would.

That's something I haven't considered, honestly. Additionally, thats a great tie in to what the Public Gang Chat was about. Within these crews were ranks which were given based off of respect in the community. If you were in the administration of one of the bigger or more respected crews on the forum, you were somebody.

Now translate that to Grand Theft Auto Online. Let's take your example of the Ballas. Lets say they are the biggest crew online. If you're the boss. You're somebody. You earned that sh*t, and you're a marked man for it.

QUOTE (darthYENIK )

I'm curious if you could further that concept a bit more. I'd like to hear what you have in mind.

That sort of touches base with my idea of the entire "Grand Theft Nation" being open all the time, and really being able to do whatever it is you f*ckin' please. Isn't that what Grand Theft Auto is all about?

Microsoft also opened a big opportunity for future gaming by Oracle and Azure , a lot of people hate Microsoft so they think that Gaikai is great , they forget about Microsoft having Oracle and Azure

Phatgordo13
  • Phatgordo13

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 12 July 2013 - 04:01 AM

QUOTE (Ibrahimhassounah @ Thursday, Jul 11 2013, 22:56)

Microsoft also opened a big opportunity for future gaming by Oracle and Azure , a lot of people hate Microsoft so they think that Gaikai is great , they forget about Microsoft having Oracle and Azure

I'm assuming that is also a cloud-like service?

To your knowledge, does video streaming allow for massive amounts of players on a single map at once? Also, has this been done.

I must admit, my knowledge of multiplayer is quite limited. I don't have many experiences and/or games to relate to.

I'm curious if any of you MMOers can explain how that process works?

OatMuffin
  • OatMuffin

{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}

• Members

Posted 12 July 2013 - 04:04 AM

I think we are going to see a massive mmo for V. Like why would R* call it "Online" and not Multiplayer. It only makes sense since currency is a factor in multiplayer now. At the very least, the multiplayer is going to submerged in customization for the players.

Moth
  • Moth

Canis Canem Edit

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Canada

Posted 12 July 2013 - 05:00 AM

QUOTE (Phatgordo13 @ Thursday, Jul 11 2013, 23:01)
To your knowledge, does video streaming allow for massive amounts of players on a single map at once? Also, has this been done.

I must admit, my knowledge of multiplayer is quite limited. I don't have many experiences and/or games to relate to.

When it comes down to it, in order to have a massive amount of people on a single map, you have to have servers that are capable to handle it. You also need a pretty good amount of servers dedicated to it as well, and how the servers react to one another.

Most MMOs divide up the players onto several different instances of the same map. Think of them as parallel universes. Some MMOs, like Eve Online, have everyone playing on the same instance. I prefer the EVE model.

And yeah Azure is this cloud based crap. Oracle is not how ever, they are a company that developing cloud technologies with MS. Oracle also owns Java computer language.

And be careful reading what Ibrahimhassounah says, he says a lot of bullsh*t to make the Xbone sound better then it is. He is like the premier Xbone fanboy on the site.

Phatgordo13
  • Phatgordo13

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 13 July 2013 - 02:22 AM

QUOTE (The General @ Friday, Jul 12 2013, 00:00)
QUOTE (Phatgordo13 @ Thursday, Jul 11 2013, 23:01)

When it comes down to it, in order to have a massive amount of people on a single map, you have to have servers that are capable to handle it. You also need a pretty good amount of servers dedicated to it as well, and how the servers react to one another.

Most MMOs divide up the players onto several different instances of the same map. Think of them as parallel universes. Some MMOs, like Eve Online, have everyone playing on the same instance. I prefer the EVE model.

And yeah Azure is this cloud based crap. Oracle is not how ever, they are a company that developing cloud technologies with MS. Oracle also owns Java computer language.

And be careful reading what Ibrahimhassounah says, he says a lot of bullsh*t to make the Xbone sound better then it is. He is like the premier Xbone fanboy on the site.

So this isn't all that difficult to pull off? Correct me if I am wrong, but this doesnt seem too far of a stretch to see GTA V on dedicated servers or on a cloud service. or both?

General, to go into your concepts of the 'Lone Wolf', having dedicated servers and/or video streaming would certainly allow just about every player to have his or her own safe house.

You had talked a bit about how a 'Lone Wolf' could certainly come up with enough scratch to buy a house in the ghetto, but it would take a crew to purchase an entire complex.

Its interesting, because this could be what GTA players have been begging for, since GTA III. More interiors! Imagine every building on the map having safe houses, and entire parts of town dictated by the power of a single crew!

You had brought up the fact that most players will probably have to start as 'Lone Wolves", how do you see players transitioning into crews?

TheIllaDopest
  • TheIllaDopest

The Bluntmaster Messiah

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 13 July 2013 - 02:51 AM

has any thought, that maybe all the GTAVDEVs we saw are in the saw crew. SO, maybe there was more on the map but because theyre not in the same crew, they dont appear on the minimap. Only when they run or fire the red dot would appear. On your minimap when you run or fire it will have that beacon of red spread out (like in MP3) around your cursor. IDK

upyoustolemylungs
  • upyoustolemylungs

Prankster

• Members

Posted 13 July 2013 - 05:12 AM

Really great stuff here.

I just had a quick thought: how cool would it be if, for 10 bucks or whatever, you cold send in a picture of yourself and the dev team could create your multiplayer character based of your picture. I know it would never happen, but it's just a cool thought.

Killerdude8
  • Killerdude8

And Remember, Respect is Everything!

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 13 July 2013 - 05:16 AM

QUOTE (upyoustolemylungs @ Friday, Jul 12 2013, 23:12)
Really great stuff here.

I just had a quick thought: how cool would it be if, for 10 bucks or whatever, you cold send in a picture of yourself and the dev team could create your multiplayer character based of your picture. I know it would never happen, but it's just a cool thought.

Rainbow Six had a feature like this, using your consoles standalone camera(xbox vision cam, PS3 eye thing) you take a few different angled shots of your head and poof, It almost never worked.

greenrock
  • greenrock

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 July 2013 - 05:17 AM

you guys are thinking like its just going to be an improvement to RDR

rockstar said gta online is very different from what we seen before, revolutionary

Phatgordo13
  • Phatgordo13

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 13 July 2013 - 06:54 AM

QUOTE (greenrock @ Saturday, Jul 13 2013, 00:17)
you guys are thinking like its just going to be an improvement to RDR

rockstar said gta online is very different from what we seen before, revolutionary

Did you by chance read the front page?

biggrin.gif

I believe to some degree there will be customization for players. Additionally, you'll be able to purchase tattoos, hair styles, clothing etc. I know EA Sports had its "Game Face" element for create-a-player modes. A feature like that never really swayed me one way or another. Quite indifferent to it.

Shieldtox
  • Shieldtox

Thug

• Members

Posted 13 July 2013 - 12:18 PM

Whatever it is I just hope that I don't have to cough out additional money to play it.

FranklinsMasterSword
  • FranklinsMasterSword

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 13 July 2013 - 12:44 PM

Wow, that's an amazing post!

If Rockstar makes online like that we are going to have a game that the online could last many, many years and well into the next decade. I think that Rockstar has realised now that the Online of a game needs to be worked on not just while the game is being made but also after launch. Support and maintenance is essential throughout the whole Online ecosystem and the easiest way to provide the support and maintenance that Rockstar needs in order to provide an online mode that lasts for a long time is to provide a unified Online experience throughout the entire series, this means that Mr. Benzies goal of providing a GTA with all the cities in it could be done using the Online experience that you have roughly outlined. Of course this could cause many issues with the Online mode but if there is any studio who can provide an experience such as this it is Rockstar.

Topics like these just make me even more excited for GTA V and GTA Online.

cookie.gif

Mr. Madness
  • Mr. Madness

Beating the odds and dead horses

• Members

Posted 13 July 2013 - 01:19 PM

QUOTE (FranklinsMasterSword @ Saturday, Jul 13 2013, 12:44)
Wow, that's an amazing post!

If Rockstar makes online like that we are going to have a game that the online could last many, many years and well into the next decade. I think that Rockstar has realised now that the Online of a game needs to be worked on not just while the game is being made but also after launch. Support and maintenance is essential throughout the whole Online ecosystem and the easiest way to provide the support and maintenance that Rockstar needs in order to provide an online mode that lasts for a long time is to provide a unified Online experience throughout the entire series, this means that Mr. Benzies goal of providing a GTA with all the cities in it could be done using the Online experience that you have roughly outlined. Of course this could cause many issues with the Online mode but if there is any studio who can provide an experience such as this it is Rockstar.

Topics like these just make me even more excited for GTA V and GTA Online.

cookie.gif

Yeah maintenance is probably more important than the original concept, because you are changing the game based on feedback from your customers. Although this is more of an MMO-type approach, Rockstar can show their constant focus and attention on GTA V to make sure customers buy GTA VI. (Or Max Payne 4 or whatever their next game is.)

The author of this thread has an unbelievable ability to solve problems using his own experience. I wonder what he does for a living.... I mean he could definitely create his own sustainable MMO's in my opinion. I'd play them.

One more idea. I like how he is emphasizing the importance of survival in this game. This is what makes games like Day-Z so intense. But Day-Z also has another virtue to it that GTA IV's multiplayer overlooked. That virtue is stealth. If GTA V will have suppressors in single player, and a whole stealth skill, then there better be an option in multiplayer to turn all blips off. I hated the fact that you could never surprise attack somebody in GTA IV. Well, the only time I remember doing this would be using the sniper rifle glitch to take someone out of a NOOSE tank from a distance. But I had to use a glitch to do it. It didn't feel natural or smooth. If rockstar wants a smooth game, then they'll remove the blips. biggrin.gif

Stormingz
  • Stormingz

Menace to society.

• Members

Posted 13 July 2013 - 01:40 PM

You got some interesting ideas, however as much as I'd like to see this happen, I don't think it's possible with current gen consoles.

Sachs
  • Sachs

Rat

• Members

Posted 13 July 2013 - 01:45 PM

I just loved reading that. Amazing. icon14.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users