Photo

---Grand Theft Auto Online---

298 replies to this topic
Phatgordo13
  • Phatgordo13

Corredo "Cordero" Corleone

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 08 July 2012 - 08:28 PM Edited by Phatgordo13, 01 August 2013 - 04:58 AM.

user posted image

"We hope that GTA V will do for multiplayer open-world
games what GTA III did for open-world single player."

- Leslie Benzies

A bold statement, Mr. Benzies.

....But, what would that exactly mean?

On the heels of the release of Grand Theft Auto III in late 2001, fans converged upon this very forum searching for new ways to indulge their Grand Theft State of Mind. At the time, there was a subsection of the forum called the Public Gang Chat. Here members of the forum banded together as 'gangs' while rumors and speculation circulated about a possible multiplayer addition to GTA III with the PC port.

The idea was simple, but the execution far exceeded anything multiplayer gaming at the time could offer.

As the GTA III port came and went without any addition to multiplayer, the community moved forward creating a world within itself that could hopefully, one day be realized within the world of Grand Theft Auto Online. For years we have played the same old death match and capture the flag bull sh*t as multiplayer has become commercialized by Call of Duty/Battlefield and every other game to offer a multiplayer option.

However, Rockstar has shown us a glimpse into the future with Rockstar Social Club. A proposition of what multiplayer could be.

I have compiled some suggestions as to what I think would make Grand Theft Auto Online as big of a game changer as Rockstar has, thus far, hyped it to be.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Customization

While the port to PC never opened the door to multiplayer, the modding community wasted no time creating a world best fit for their gang. The GTA modding community is well known for some pretty awesome stuff, but in this particular case the mods were designed specifically for each gang. We had customized vehicles, character skins, hell, even our own mansions. This took the idea of GTA Online to the next level. The idea was that even if the representative players from each gang were not on the map, their presence would still be felt.

Obviously, our idea of multiplayer was fairly narrow minded as we only focused on the community within this forum. However, the idea still persisted as something a lot of gamers wanted. Traditionally speaking, the multiplayer experience has been confined to a series of game options; capture the flag, death match, open map, etc. However, thats not what Grand Theft Auto is about. With the exception of GTA IV, the titles within the series have progressivly focused on empire building, customizing assets, and possession of guns, vehicles, safe houses, outfits, and more. The deluge of GTA V news over the past few months has stirred long lost ideas of what Grand Theft Auto Online could be.

We know now that we will be able to purchase businesses and safe houses, customize vehicles, outfits and so much more. Why is this important? For the love of money. So, what about multiplayer? Surely, we will see the return of crews ala Max Payne 3. A system that was quite successful, but only scraped the surface on the potential idea of Grand Theft Auto Online. But what are we fighting for? Points? Respect? What about a physical representation of the gangs success? Like a customizable safe house filled with trophies and loot from previous adventures that we can fight for and defend. Or perhaps a cutsomizable vehicle exclusive to that crew. Imagine a flashy vehicle you have never seen before zips past you on the street. How'd they get it? Can you get one? Will you fight for it?

Whatever it may be, we want to put our stamp on the city. We want our actions to have consequences. We want something to fight for.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Territory

In the days of the Public Gang Chat gangs forged alliances, and carved out sections of liberty city as their own in preparation for whenever multiplayer would come. We realized strength in numbers, and by combining efforts we could control parts of the map.

Remember in San Andreas, how CJ would fight and claw against waves of rival gang members for a single block of Los Santos? It was fun, for awhile, but never felt fully fleshed out. Perhaps you recall Vic Vance, racing across town to defend one of his businesses as rival gangs attempted to destroy his assets, crippling his income.

There was a sort of narrative that went unannounced between the work going into to creating a business, and the determination in defending what you had worked so hard to create. This is what the Public Gang Chat had created amongst themselves as personalities would clash, and battle lines were drawn. While on the forum we would jockey for respect and votes to become an official gang of the forum, but what we really craved was a piece of Liberty, Vice, and Los Santos.

user posted image
Gangster sh*t.

Instead of strictly killing more than dieing within the alloted time, perhaps the focus should be on territory, and the value players place upon them. In other multiplayer games, players would have to fight and defend spawning points on the map, whether or not they had any intrinsic value to the players themselves. I never understood why I had to defend a stupid fort in Battlefield when there were no vehicles, planes, or artillery to be had there. It's dumb. However, if the location was a gun shop that offered a location for players to customize their weapons, I would fight to the death to possess it. Furthermore, I would be much more motivated to defend a street corner outside my gang's hide out than I would another piece of territory across the map.

Continuity

Perhaps, this is the most farfetched idea of them all, but perhaps someone with more understanding of the "behind the scenes" process of what makes multiplayer possible could shed some more light on how much of this could be reality, if at all.

With everything listed above; customizable safe houses, territory, etc. I believe the biggest potential shift in how we view multiplayer would be the ability to have a certain degree of continuity with whatever our gangs or crews have accomplished.

Lets say, in fact, crews will be rewarded with customizable safe houses, guns, vehicles, and outfits. Additionally, lets assume territory is something we could gain and lose in battle. What happens when we go offline? Is everything involved in multiplayer exist strictly within its own vacuum? Or, perhaps is there a way where one main existing world will constantly ebb and flow with the interactions of the global community as a whole?

Perhaps, Los Santos is not big enough alone to hold every player online at once, if that was even possible. However, what if Grand Theft Auto Online was bigger than just GTA V? To me, this is the most striking information we have received thus far. They didn't call it GTA V Online, they called it Grand Theft Auto Online.

user posted image
I got five on it.

Perhaps I am wrong about Grand Theft Auto existing on one single map, but perhaps a crew that has engaged itself within a set map would have a percentage of territory and their customized assets carried over from map to map. This could be achieved by allocating territory percentages via the point system. Additionally, safe houses could be attributed to set locations around the map. They might not always be in the same place, but the building could be replicated as part of the crews involvement.

It's not all about gun play...

I had a conversation with a friend a few days ago about Rockstar's multiplayer games to date; GTA IV, Red Dead Redemption, Max Payne 3 etc. He shared with me that some of the most fun he has in multiplayer are the moments before a match begins when friends get together to talk, and punch each other in the face for fun.

This got me thinking. That is a lot of what the Public Gang Chat was about. Obviously, the premise of the game is that you steal cars, shoot people, etc. Yet, there is so much more to Grand Theft Auto than that. How much time have you spent in a GTA title, just.....walking around?

For my money, multiplayer becomes stale when I'm constantly being shot at incessantly for hours on end. I wish I could walk up to someone, and challenge him to a street race down the block which we're standing on. Perhaps, we could bet customizable guns on the race. I win, and the player reluctantly hands over a customized SR-1 with full tactical equipment. From there, I would zip around town and stop at a safe house which some friends have customized. Walking upstairs, there are pictures of current and former gang members in moments of goofballery. As I enter the main loft I notice some friends are playing a hand of poker, while my buddy is on the couch watching Space Ranger Republicans. I sit and join him, while we talk about guns, drugs, and bitches.

Now this all sounds a lot less like Grand Theft Auto, and more like something out of the Sims or Habboo Hotel, when suddenly, gunfire rang out. As everyone rushes to the window to see the commotion we realize a rival gang has arrived in mass to take over the safe house. My buddy asks for my assistance, and as I pull out my new SR-1 I simply reply, "No doubt."

We rush to the lobby of the building and take position. Bullets kick open the doors, and glass shatters all around. "These are a bunch of cowboys."one gang member announces. A gunfight ensues, as the gang shouts strategy at one another. My buddy and I go out the back door, stopping at the gun closet to load up on heavy artillery. He hands me a mini-gun, and we swing around the building to flank the attackers. We take position behind a dumpster, they haven't noticed us.

user posted image
The sh*t just got real.

We mow down the enemy attackers and the safe house is, well, safe again. My buddies and I dance around the corpses shouting expletives like ten year olds as we enjoy the fruits of victory. Someone suggests we go to the local Honkers Strip Club to celebrate. "Good idea".

There is so much to see and do within the world of Grand Theft Auto that it is unfair to limit it strictly to gun play and car chases. Sometimes, the cities represented within the game are not something we so much want to destroy, as we just wish to inhabit.

Even in just the six plus years since the release of GTA IV, social media has become an every day aspect of just about everyone's lives. I personally do not engage, but the far reaches of instant information have an effect on even myself. This is a profound step our society has taken.

In terms of gaming, is social media integration the next step, particularly for online gaming? Its often suggested that one day we will all exist online as avatars rather than our physical forms.

user posted image
Er.....um.....not exactly.

Perhaps, more realistically, people will want to engage socially with friends across the globe in virtual arenas like Grand Theft Auto where the best of gaming and social integration converge, without all the humanity getting wiped out by viruses or whatever.

Grand Theft Auto.....America?

Rockstar has taken a firm stance that the previous generation of GTA titles and the current HD titles don't exist within the same universe. That being said, we are currently moving forward into the second city of the new HD universe. What does that mean to Grand Theft Auto Online? Well, potentially, a lot.

Rockstar has set its focus on one city from the San Andreas state, Los Santos. Without getting too far ahead of ourselves, it may be safe to assume that moving forward into the next generation of consoles we can expect to see fully fleshed out versions of Vice City, San Fierro, and/or Las Venturas. Of course, I admit caution with this, as there is no guarantee of anything.

I believe it is worth noting that this installment of multiplayer is given a title which transcends the game it is packaged with. This isn't GTA V: Online, this is Grand Theft Auto Online.

The original GTA on the PC offered players the option to travel to one of the three main locations; Liberty City, Vice City, and San Andreas. More recently, Leslie Benzies was quoted in an interview saying...

QUOTE (Rockstar North President Leslie Benzies @ Digital Trends)
"Of course at some point we would like to have one big world containing all our cities and let the player fly between them and revisit their favorite areas.."

user posted image
Frequent Flyer?

Is this time now? We shall see.

Unscripted

Imagine this. You have worked for weeks, perhaps months with a group of your friends to finally achieve a desired level of status within the game. Your crew has been rewarded with property, vehicles, perks, and of course bragging rights.

Not a day later, a much larger crew comes in and takes everything. You were out gunned, out played, out performed. You have lost everything. Would you be mad?

user posted image
U mad bro?

Wouldn't your very next step be vengeance? Would you not want to reclaim what you worked so hard to achieve? It's the moments of defeat, in video games, that keeps you coming back for more. You may seek out a single player, or an entire crew, but a narrative would form between players and crews as vendettas, beefs, and wars would break out.

On the flip side of that, there is strength and numbers. Why fight with a gang, when you can become friends and act within an alliance to achieve your goals?

user posted image
Are they, or aren't they?

The concept of alliances can have just as much potential "unwritten narrative" when betrayal is always a possibility. Am I my brother's keeper?

Cash has clearly become a huge part of GTA V with everything from property purchases, vehicle customization, and now real estate, stocks, and more. Certainly, the value of money should be carried over into Grand Theft Auto Online. Perhaps not as fully as in single player, but the spirit of the concept should be included to some degree. Players can acquire cash on their own, but may realize more opportunity within a crew. While a player may be within a crew, they might not yet be the first choice to participate in a planned heist. This means a player will have to acquire cash on the side.

Within the idea of unscripted narrative, there is a potential for a player within a crew to attempt a clean robbery that has presented itself as an easy play. However, this involves stealing from an ally. Potentially it could be a big cash grab for the player, or pose dire consequence for the player and crews...

Additionally, as you achieve more success within the game and you and/or your crew's stats are broad cast world wide, more players will seek to knock you off. Did you think driving around in that flashy whip wouldn't catch someone's eye? That safe house of your's looks like a great spot for my crew.

user posted image
Scientifically Proven.

With great reward, come's great responsibility. People are going to want what you have, and they're will to take it from you. That game is called Grand Theft Auto after all...

That being said, are you willing to fight for what you own, and how far would you go to get back whats been taken from you? For a player of high status, this becomes a huge problem when every time you step onto the streets of Los Santos and everybody is trying to be the one to knock the king off his throne. What's a brother to do?

Lemme segway this motha f*cka....

user posted image
Always wear a helmet.

Ranks

Back in the glory day's of the Public Gang Chat there were gang's like the Corleone Family Mafia, The System, $outh $ide Hoodz, and many more. To an outsider it seemed ridiculous that member's had ranks such as; The Don's Bodyguard, Driver, Security, etc. Especially, when there was no multiplayer!

However, we saw the potential in something great. Purpose within a game. For now, it's a run and gun affair within a set spectrum of rules and stipulations. Personally, I hope for a more organic approach. When you consider the previous suggestion and you can imagine the difficulty it may be as a high ranked player within the game. Success garners respect, but also jealousy, resentment, and opportunity.

When we ran our gang's on the forum, newer members would take up lower positions such as The Don's Driver, and body guard until they had proven themselves within the community as valuable members. Within Grand Theft Auto Online, the same applies while remaining practical. The leader of a crew may enlist several new members of the crew as personal bodyguards as he/she roams the map. This offers the new members an opportunity to prove their skills, while lending a helping hand to a high ranking target to other up-and-comers seeking to make a name for themselves.

Perhaps, you are not as good in fast paced shoot outs, but excel in driving ability. This could create an opportunity for someone to fulfill the position of Driver for a crew. Heists could be planned out, utilizing the skills of crew members. A team of five of the best shooters will enter the building from the back, a driver will position the getaway vehicle around the corner awaiting for the signal to pull in front. A sniper is positioned across the street upon a roof top to lend protection in case of a shoot out during escape. Finally, a helicopter pilot will circle the area to offer aerial support during get away.

Coming up in a crew wouldn't just be about stats, but actual credentials and a resume of success. Players would have to prove themselves by protecting the gang's leaders with hopes of ascending the ranks to be involved in heists, robberies, and other attacks which would lead to more opportunities in scoring cash.

Death.

user posted image

This, got me thinking. This may or may not be what it is about, but it stood as inspiration all the same. The one major flaw, for me, with GTA IV's multiplayer was that it was a lot more like Battlefield or Call of Duty than it was GTA. This bothers me. If I wanted to play Battlefield or Call of Duty, I would be playing, Battlefield or Call of Duty.

I want Grand Theft Auto.

Player's stand in the middle of the street and shoot RPG's at anyone on site. Even in set games like Cops N' Crooks, players end up messing around instead of taking the game seriously.

Let me put it to you this way. I love baseball, and have played my whole life. I made it to the low ranking college level, and that's about where my talent topped off. Now, when I play MLB The Show, I'm the greatest that ever lived, and it's f*cking awesome. I could turn up all the sliders to make the game even easier for myself, but I enjoy the challenge and the satisfaction of the process. What can Grand Theft Auto Online do to ensure that there are consequences to actions?

user posted image
This is an M rated game....right?

What if that "83 Days" signified how long that player has remained alive? What if when your online player was killed, you lost all your assets, property, and vehicles? What if when your player was killed you had to start over and regain all those attributes, cash, and perks you have acquired? Would you not stand in the street and shoot RPGs at everyone?

user posted image
Thought so.

This concept ties into just about every aspect previously suggested. Gang leaders would want to be protected and utilize body guards. Being taken out by another player or crew would be a bigger deal than just a statistic.

This could also be applied to entire crews as well. If a crew's safe house was sacked, they would also lose all assets, vehicles, and cash saved within that safe house. This places tremendous value in protecting what is yours and giving much more purpose to planning and strategy. Players would utilize cover and flanking maneuvers creating a more realistic approach to game play.

Players who survive longer become more valuable to crews and may be recruited by other gangs. The idea of survival changes every element of multiplayer and imposes a sense of realism to online gaming.

When gamers play single player campaigns, we expect the best AI possible in the enemies we face. When that fails its wonky and noticeable. You would think that adding other players to the game would create a more realistic atmosphere, but it is the human element that makes the game, unrealistic.

Without a system in place to impose consequences, we are confined to Battlefield and Call of Duty - like multiplayer. Grand Theft Auto has again, and again been the focal point of innovation in video games. I believe this instance is no different.

Phatgordo13
  • Phatgordo13

Corredo "Cordero" Corleone

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 08 July 2013 - 05:22 AM Edited by Phatgordo13, 12 August 2013 - 03:55 AM.

Going Legit: Getting a Job in GTAO

Grand Theft Auto has always been the focal point of controversy in the video game industry. I remember reading awhile back, someone at R* saying something to the effect of, "you don't have to break the law, but the option is there." That sort of freedom has yet to be realized in Grand Theft Auto, however GTA Online may offer an interesting opportunity.

Every player will have to start out somewhere. Imagine spawning at the airport, docks, or bus depot with literally no guns or money. Much like Niko Bellic you only have your wits, and your friends to help you out. Maybe less. Imagining GTAO as an MMO, this posses a big problem because surely you would be incredibly vulnerable at this point. In light of the 'Theory of Everything', this doesn't have to be so.

As you switch to your online avatar, and are now connected to the GTAO universe, you have a choice. Get your money and XP, legally, or illegally. You may choose to begin robbing NPCs and online players a like, or you may choose the alternative. Getting a job.

In the past, single player has allowed players to become cops, medics, fire fighters, and taxi drivers to some extent and over time this game play element has gotten stale. In GTAO, this offers a very real opportunity to get cash and XP without the threat of law while enjoying the perks and protection of being on the right side of the law.

Imagine this....

If You Join the Police
You have access to all police stations to use as safe houses. All police vehicles, weapons, armor, etc is at your disposal. As you hop into your police cruiser you hear over the radio a number of incidents within Los Santos. It is your choice to engage or ignore any of them, but they all offer an opportunity to make money and gain XP.

See what I'm getting at? What are your thoughts?

The Cell Phone

In GTA IV, a player had to pull up Niko's cell phone and navigate through the menus to get to where they wanted with multiplayer. We already know that it will be a much simpler process of simply switching to your online avatar on the character wheel. So what of the cell phone?

I believe GTAO offers an awesome opportunity to make great practical use of the cell phone. This could act as one of the many triggers to engage other players as part of your online experience.

Say you're running about the map, and want to add a friend to your experience. You would simply pull up your cell phone, check your contacts and call your friend. If your friend was online their phone would ring and they would have the choice to answer or ignore. If they answer, you would be able to talk to one another via your head sets. If your friend were to ignore you, you could then leave them a voice mail about how you are no longer friends.

This concept of the cell phone is quite simple. Make it a f*cking cell phone. One of the biggest peevs I think most players will agree about online gaming is the head sets. Anyone who has one, can turn their sh*t on and talk sh*t for the length of any match. It's 75% of why I hate multiplayer. However, in addition to the cell phone, voices of other players should only be able to be heard when their avatars were within a given amount of distance from yours. Meaning; if you and your friend are kicking it in a safe house shooting some pool, you would be able to talk to one another. However, if your friend leaves the building and hops into his car, he would have to call you on your phone to talk.

Some people may be upset with the idea that players won't be able to utilize their head sets for coordinating their crew's attacks. However, I believe that by utilizing in game head sets for your avatars should allow crew members to communicate.

Simple enough? Yah? Talk to me...

The Drug Trade

The biggest complaint I had personally with GTA IV was that once the story line was completed, I had very little incentive to continue playing. The usual suspects of hidden items, stunts, etc are always nice to have, but after the story, what's the purpose? My existence within Liberty City had become meaningless. Niko had nothing to work for, nothing to gain, and most importantly, nothing to maintain.

user posted image

From the onset of information regarding GTA V, it has been made clear that there is a huge emphasis upon the pursuit of the almighty dollar. Rockstar has paid close attention to their fans, and added many optional elements to the single player campaign that, hopefully, will extend to the multiplayer experience. One item of discussion that has come up time and time again that Rockstar has, thus far, remained silent about is the drug trade.

The success of Chinatown Wars involving the drug trade gave cause to many GTA fans ranting and raving about the extended game play element. The pursuit of a drug empire added hours upon hours of playability. Chinatown Wars was only made available on the Nintendo DS, and unfortunately unavailable to many GTA fans.

user posted image

It must be noted that the implementation of a drug trade system would be highly controversial topic for a game set to potentially sell 20 million copies world wide. Grand Theft Auto has been controversial since the first installment. The controversy was a selling point for DMA way back when and likely the reason why many of us found GTA in the first place.

My point is, that even if Rockstar has already implemented a drug trade in the GTA V single player campaign there is no reason for them to talk about it now. Obviously, the game will sell because of a well established fan base. Controversy now, is not necessarily a good thing for business, and I wouldn't be surprised if the first time you hear about it, is when you first play the game.

This is how I imagine it...

A working drug economy is a profound step to creating a living GTA world. If the purchases you make within the city directly effect the prices, and your competition, that then really opens a pandoras box of possibility in terms of continuous game play. For the first time in the GTA series, money will actually mean something. In the example of the drug world, you will be able to spend your money to supply your dealers and organization with drugs, guns, and places of business. As your operation expands you will be responsible of hiring distribution and dealing with all of the trouble that follows. Furthermore, conflict will rise with competing organizations and in the case of drug warfare, the casualties suffered will effect the power of the given organization. If a leader of a drug organization was killed, or the organization was simply bought out, the economy would fluctuate to open increased market share for new NPCs to step in.

user posted image

In the Online experience, this becomes a much more organic process. Instead of relying on a set of coding that will simulate certain economic conditions, the players involvement will directly determine the cost, value, and availability of any given product. For me, the most interesting piece of information we have recieved thus far is that of stock trading in single player. For this to work, there needs to be a system in place to simulate a living economy. For that, I have to wonder why Rockstar wouldn't take it a step further.

The existence of a drug market really opens up a lot of opportunity for potential game play and ties in to a lot of the topics we have already covered. Unscripted narrative? Check. Gang organization? Check. Territory? Check. Gang assets? Check.

In closing, the drug trade is the perfect example of what I believe to be the most important aspect needed to make Grand Theft Auto Online as revolutionary as advertised. Continuity. Whatever actions executed within the online realm must have long lasting consequence to any future experience. No longer should players be confined to a map, and a time limit. It's about time we realize the true potential of a living, breathing Grand Theft Auto.

GTA Online: The Single Player Experience

Wait, what?

The revolutionary outlook on online gaming has many profound implications in terms of what the total package has to offer. If we are any where near what Grand Theft Auto Online will be, there certainly is much to get excited about. Hours upon hours of extended game play outside of the single player campaign is always something to be thrilled about.

For much of our focus thus far we have examined the many potential aspects of Grand Theft Auto Online in terms of peer to peer game play. Ideas that were designed to address a certain want or need within the game play have unintentional side effects. Particularly, the 'Theory of Everything' has encapsulated a top to bottom outlook on taking these many cogs and rivets and implementing them into a well oiled machine. If the 'Theory of Everything' were to be implemented, there then is an unintentional side effect that would make long time GTA fans thrilled.

Grand Theft Auto Me.

user posted image
That's not me. Really. Honestly.

Your online avatar sits within the character wheel within the on screen hud. There is Michael, Trevor, Franklin, and well....whoever the hell you want it to be. For many GTA fans, the opportunity to exist within the GTA universe as a pseudo representation of themselves has been the great white buffalo for many years. The concept of dictating the online experience through the choices of the individual offers players an opportunity to simply exist within Los Santos, fully furnished with the same amenities of the single player campaign.

Players will be able to earn cash through a variety of options with limited direct interaction with any other online players. Whether playing the fully organic stock market, involving in the drug trade, or joining a civil service offers opportunity to create a more singular experience online. I must admit, that in order for all of these elements to work there has to be some level of multiplayer interaction, although some options offer opportunity to avoid full blown violent episodes. That being said, once the character has accumulated some cash they will be able to spend their time purchasing assets for their avatar. Customizable vehicles, customizable weapons, customizing safe houses, etc.

We know now that our single player characters will be able to upgrade their skill levels in the fields of driving, shooting, flying etc. For the online player, the same can be accomplished through shooting ranges, driving courses, test flights etc. All of these sessions fully departed from the multiplayer experience. Thus, we can conclude that many hours of game play can focused on the single player experience of Grand Theft Auto Online.

The Theory of Everything

user posted image
Yes, I'm going to hell I know.

Thus far, we have outlined many aspects we hope to see in the upcoming release of Grand Theft Auto Online. Many aspects which we hope will cross over from single player, but those features that will exist exclusively for multiplayer have a very key flaw which we have yet been able to reconcile.

Considering potential ideas such as the continuous existence of safe houses, territory, assets, customizable items, and more it is hard to outline a position in which this all would be made possible.

Presently, we have suggested such ideas as an all inclusive 'Grand Theft America' which would utilize multiple HD cities such as Los Santos, Liberty City, Vice City, among others. However, the obvious problem with this is that we only have Liberty City and Los Santos at present time. Furthermore, the sheer scale of the multiple cities, even when considering all others, would still most likely be unable to accommodate all players simultaneously.

user posted image
Yes, welcome to Tokyo, get the f*ck on!

This solution is more so a band aide than proper treatment. What we would ultimately be suggesting is a Grand Theft Auto MMO. While I am a huge fan of the idea and a strong advocate of such moving forward, considering the thousands upon thousands of players converging online at once would create an unrealistic experience for what we wish Grand Theft Auto Online to achieve. These suggestions, while exciting and certainly still feasible, do not address the problem at hand.

The major issue with GTA multiplayer is a lack of structure and all out anarchy within the program. Rockets fire from every direction, while vehicles crash and explode at high speeds. The air is filled with helicopters and planes firing guns on players below, all while snipers perched upon roof tops strike down anyone not taking cover. While this may be fun for some, it ultimately negates the true Grand Theft Auto experience which we all know and love from single player experiences.

user posted image
That's NOT what I f*cking ordered.

As we can note from Meta187's topic 'For the Love of Money', much of the delight of single player comes from the come up, and the riches that follow. Imposing will upon the world in which you inhabit, and facing consequence accordingly is all what makes Grand Theft Auto such a rich experience. However, it must be noted that while AI has taken great leaps from the days of GTA III, the inclusion of the human element within multiplayer has only made the experience less realistic.

I had suggested a system of semi-permanent death, in which, with death would come a loss of assets, weapons, and cash. Forcing the player to start over upon death in order to make one think twice about running blindly into gun fire, or attacking every player they came across. However, this would not stop players who simply just did not care one way or another. Those who have nothing to lose, and those who only enjoy GTA for the mass chaos would have no consequence. Thus, the only punishment would be dealt to those whom have taken the game seriously, and that is exactly what we set out to prevent in the first place.

user posted image

So what can we do?

Well, I think I may have something here...

We are all aware of the new wheel system which includes our three protagonists, Michael, Trevor, and Franklin. Additionally, the wheel holds a slot for our multiplayer avatar. Why is this significant? When you are playing Grand Theft Auto V, you will be controlling one of the three protagonists going about your business amongst the vast map which includes Los Santos and the surrounding country side. At any point, you may switch to your online avatar, and the only change that would occur on screen is the avatar in which you control. However, you are now online.

The interactions amongst others begin to occur only once you engage certain activities. Think of it like a parallel universe of sorts. Thousands of Los Santos' existing literally atoms a part simultaneously, and yet, separately. The city of Los Santos which you now inhabit with your online avatar, is your lobby.

user posted image
Beat you to the punch. KEEP READING!

Imagine you are a part of a crew. There are twenty members to this crew that are online at the same point. The crew has racked up enough XP and cash to build their own safe house on the upper east side of Los Santos. Once you have engaged your online avatar you now inhabit a Los Santos with the addition of that safe house, and you are instantly connected to any members of your crew that are also online. Your safe house would be much more than a place to customize, store assets, or showcase as a trophy, but also be the worm hole of sorts to all other Los Santos'.

You get together with your crew, and plan to attack a rival gang hide out. The time has come to put this crew down once and for all, and take what they have. The crew gathers their things and engage a planning room of sorts which now adds the rival crew, and their assets, to the map in which you inhabit. Are you still following me?

user posted image

Let me try a more simpler approach. Lets say you switch from Michael in single player mode to your online avatar to play a round of golf with a friend. At the present time, you are driving around a living breathing Los Santos full of NPCs, no different from your single player experience. This Los Santos will act as a lobby of sorts in a free roam model. You hop into your customized car located at your safe house, and drive to the golf course off the high way. There you engage an NPC at the front desk who acts as a liaison between your player, and all other players online looking to play golf. You find your friend, and you two, now inhabit a single map. You may suggest adding a few other players to turn your round into a group activity. Each player added to the round of golf, would expand the map in which you inhabit to include each player's personal safe house, crew affiliation safe house, and any assets within their possession.

You may already be thinking, but certainly, with each crew added there is the potential of tens or hundreds of players on that map. Not exactly. While you and your friend are playing golf, each of your crew's safe houses now exist within your map, but not necessarily all crew members affiliated with that building. Keep in mind, all other crew members will be going about their business as well, engaging in different aspects of the city.

So lets say, I lose this round of golf, and decide I am going to attack my friend's crew's safe house. I'm a sore loser.

user posted image
....among other things.

I drive up to the safe house, which from my perspective is only protected by AI controlled NPCs representing that crew. I pull out my RPG and begin firing into the windows of the safe house, my attack has commenced. All players online representing that crew will be alerted on their cell phones, that the safe house is under attack. Their choice in engaging in the conflict or ignoring it, will determine whether or not they become a part of my online experience.

Furthermore, the authorities have been alerted. Dispatch has notified police and they are en route. This time around, the police, fire men, medics, FIB, and military now consist of a combination of AI controlled NPCs and online players. This adds new depth to the vigilante missions of single player, while offering players a chance to make good money and XP without the threat of law, and its perks and protection for being on the right side. Each player that chooses to wear a badge will be notified of situations occurring through out Los Santos, and once again, their choice to engage or ignore will directly determine whether or not they become active on any given player's map.

user posted image
Yes, I said I know.

Ultimately, what this new approach to the multiplayer experience will add is the illusion of a thriving, living, breathing city filled with NPCs and tens of thousands of online players. It may appear to be a massive MMORPG, but in all reality it is mass amounts of free roam lobbies merging within small pieces. You may choose to take your online avatar around Los Santos and interact with no one else, and you may do so! However, any activity, cash grab, or mission in which you want to engage will require your interaction with others.

I have run my mind in circles and knots trying to picture what would truly make the GTA Online experience "Revolutionary". I was there when GTA III came out, and I remember the realization of the change before my eyes. I do not take R*'s statements lightly, and they have said some incredibly lofty things about GTA Online thus far. This, is what I believe they are talking about.

Lets talk about it...

So......?

What are some of your thoughts? Am I right, wrong, or close? I'd love to add your opinion to the front page!

Tobias_Rieper
  • Tobias_Rieper

Silent Assassin

• Members

Posted 08 July 2013 - 05:26 AM

Unless they actually back it up; support it by removing hackers and modders... People will ditch it after a few months. Then there's always assholes who like to play around and not even do anything with a goal...

Bottom line is, if they don't help it grow and flourish, I don't very much care for it. Nor would it be as groundbreaking as they hype it to be.

trevors685
  • trevors685

poo poo head

• BUSTED!

Posted 08 July 2013 - 05:26 AM

Mother of god.
cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif
icon14.gif icon14.gif icon14.gif icon14.gif icon14.gif icon14.gif

keyflamer
  • keyflamer

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 08 July 2013 - 05:29 AM

Thanks for sharing. I'll read this.

Killerdude8
  • Killerdude8

And Remember, Respect is Everything!

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 08 July 2013 - 05:29 AM

It's going to be awesome, Revolutionary or not.

cookie.gif

GTAVTheHeat
  • GTAVTheHeat

I can't picture life without a point of view..

• Members

Posted 08 July 2013 - 05:38 AM

Dear God no more colorful boxes over my head or rockets that freeze my game!!!

Dr Zoidburg
  • Dr Zoidburg

woop woop woop!

• BUSTED!

Posted 08 July 2013 - 05:40 AM

Wow. That is one big wall of speculation and wishes.

minwager
  • minwager

First Born Unicorn

• BUSTED!

Posted 08 July 2013 - 05:42 AM

QUOTE (Dr Zoidburg @ Monday, Jul 8 2013, 05:40)

No sh*t. What did you expect, the guy to pop up with official multiplayer info?

trevors685
  • trevors685

poo poo head

• BUSTED!

Posted 08 July 2013 - 05:47 AM

I just hope there is a friendly mode.

slogan-killer1
  • slogan-killer1

Playa

• Members

Posted 08 July 2013 - 05:51 AM

I hope they don't bring in MMO sh*t or else I'm gonna be pissed!

Triple Vacuum Seal
  • Triple Vacuum Seal

Ghetto Star

• Members

Posted 08 July 2013 - 05:56 AM

I think it's way over-hyped to be honest. It will blow us away simply because GTA has massive online potential. IV was R*'s very first effort and it was amazing even with all of its limitations.

All of this talk of "ground-breaking" just seems like typical R* hysteria and exaggeration. I highly doubt we'll get to own assets and build a criminal empire to interact with other people's criminal empires as in many online RPG games. If so, R* would have a gold mine. It's very possible within the next decade, but I don't see it on V this gen. It's kinda like the massive map that one guy made with the whole west coast in V. We all know GTA will someday reach that status, but for now we have to be realistic. R* could surprise us though, but you never know I guess.

Diesleman
  • Diesleman

Homeboy

• Members

Posted 08 July 2013 - 06:13 AM

QUOTE (trevors685 @ Monday, Jul 8 2013, 05:26)
Mother of god.
cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif
icon14.gif icon14.gif icon14.gif icon14.gif icon14.gif icon14.gif

I love the idea but off topic, the spot in your pic is in Melbourne just near me, I've skated it a few times. Thought you might find that interesting, haha.

Vex_Doppel
  • Vex_Doppel

Snitch

• Members

Posted 08 July 2013 - 06:15 AM

Here's my idea of what it will be. Seeing alot of the next gen games like Destiny, and The Division among others; the whole drop-in and drop-out system is very likely. I also believe its online will be like RDR. A bunch of coop missions. Much much more indepth of course to the point of it being its own story. I have some other ideas but I'm more hopeful than confident that they'll be in the game. So I'll leave those alone for now.

ForDaNords
  • ForDaNords

-

• BUSTED!

Posted 08 July 2013 - 06:20 AM

Someone give this man an award.
Anyway, I think GTA:O is unrelated to V. Of course it'll be included with V, but if it was the actual mp for V it'd be called GTA V online.

Revolution-XW
  • Revolution-XW

LuisWayne

• Members

Posted 08 July 2013 - 06:28 AM

First of all, thanks for taking your time, did have a good read. icon14.gif

I believe for current gen, it's too much, yet. At least until next gen, imo.

Hm. However, I believe Sony's presentation of PS4/conference did foreshadow the friendly interactivity of gamers in the future for next gen, in a way.

Your ideas are very good, I like the 'building/upgrading' your gang's safehouse from scratch into a mansion with hard earned trophies and medals, and maybe a picture frame of the M.V.P who helped win it above it?

I can see this happening, in the future. I think you'll be close.

Grand Theft Savage
  • Grand Theft Savage

'Bout that life

• BUSTED!

Posted 08 July 2013 - 06:31 AM

QUOTE (Revolution-XW @ Monday, Jul 8 2013, 06:28)

Kind of what I was going to say. Current gen consoles can't support this. That's the only reason I believe GTA Online might not be an MMO.

Lil_B_The Basedgod
  • Lil_B_The Basedgod

f*ck the mods

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 July 2013 - 06:36 AM

Someone should fix that logo. The "E" at the end of online should be lowercase.

Dr Zoidburg
  • Dr Zoidburg

woop woop woop!

• BUSTED!

Posted 08 July 2013 - 06:40 AM

QUOTE (minwager @ Monday, Jul 8 2013, 05:42)

All im saying is that's alot of work for a handful of wishes.

minwager
  • minwager

First Born Unicorn

• BUSTED!

Posted 08 July 2013 - 06:52 AM

QUOTE (Dr Zoidburg @ Monday, Jul 8 2013, 06:40)
QUOTE (minwager @ Monday, Jul 8 2013, 05:42)

All im saying is that's alot of work for a handful of wishes.

Haha, not much else to do until new info is released I guess.

gpcguy1
  • gpcguy1

Soldier

• Members

Posted 08 July 2013 - 07:01 AM

QUOTE (Tobias_Rieper @ Monday, Jul 8 2013, 05:26)
Unless they actually back it up; support it by removing hackers and modders... People will ditch it after a few months. Then there's always assholes who like to play around and not even do anything with a goal...

Bottom line is, if they don't help it grow and flourish, I don't very much care for it. Nor would it be as groundbreaking as they hype it to be.

How are people assholes when they want to play around? That's one of the fun things to do in GTA. You can always annoy the sh*t out of someone if you don't like them anyway.

Tobias_Rieper
  • Tobias_Rieper

Silent Assassin

• Members

Posted 08 July 2013 - 07:07 AM

QUOTE (gpcguy1 @ Monday, Jul 8 2013, 07:01)

How are people assholes when they want to play around? That's one of the fun things to do in GTA. You can always annoy the sh*t out of someone if you don't like them anyway.

Apparently you haven't run across any annoying hackers or matches of Race or Cops 'n Crooks where people just goof off. Or maybe you have but don't care much for playing objective game modes. Might I suggest you look up the definition of sportsmanship... All I'm saying is it ruins the game. If people want to mess around, that's what free mode is for.

greenrock
  • greenrock

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 July 2013 - 07:13 AM

QUOTE (Grand Theft Savage @ Monday, Jul 8 2013, 06:31)
QUOTE (Revolution-XW @ Monday, Jul 8 2013, 06:28)

Kind of what I was going to say. Current gen consoles can't support this. That's the only reason I believe GTA Online might not be an MMO.

yes they can

GTA Online is suppose to be revolutionary and groundbreaking

the only thing i can think of is MMO

badass nyuka
  • badass nyuka

Why did I move here? Guess it was the weather...

• BUSTED!

Posted 08 July 2013 - 07:16 AM

QUOTE (Tobias_Rieper @ Monday, Jul 8 2013, 07:07)
QUOTE (gpcguy1 @ Monday, Jul 8 2013, 07:01)

Apparently you haven't run across any annoying hackers or matches of Race or Cops 'n Crooks where people just goof off. Or maybe you have but don't care much for playing objective game modes. Might I suggest you look up the definition of sportsmanship... All I'm saying is it ruins the game. If people want to mess around, that's what free mode is for.

I don't get why I got a verbal warning when you guys start rascist topics and call each other this and go on cussing rampages.

Killerdude8
  • Killerdude8

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 08 July 2013 - 07:17 AM

Good lord guys, GTA online isn't a separate title, It's what they're calling V's Multiplayer!

“When will we get information on GTA V multiplayer?”@camronbnl3

Expect to hear some first details soon – it’s called Grand Theft Auto Online and we’re very excited to unveil it for you sometime this summer.

http://www.rockstarg...wered-gtav.html

greenrock
  • greenrock

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 July 2013 - 07:18 AM

QUOTE (Killerdude8 @ Monday, Jul 8 2013, 07:17)
Good lord guys, GTA online isn't a separate title, It's what they're calling V's Multiplayer!

Expect to hear some first details soon – it’s called Grand Theft Auto Online and we’re very excited to unveil it for you sometime this summer.

its pretty much going to be a seperate game, but all on the same disc

GlitzyTomb
  • GlitzyTomb

Homie

• Members

Posted 08 July 2013 - 07:21 AM

It's clearly not a different game, but it seems to be an aspect of GTAV which they are taking quite seriously

Tobias_Rieper
  • Tobias_Rieper

Silent Assassin

• Members

Posted 08 July 2013 - 07:21 AM

QUOTE (badass nyuka @ Monday, Jul 8 2013, 07:16)
I don't get why I got a verbal warning when you guys start rascist topics and call each other this and go on cussing rampages.

I've never taken part in any of the racist topics, I read them but I don't contribute to them. For the other, I'd have to say context. I'm not cussing at anyone in particular. Actually, I used the word as a general adjective... Not to start drama between someone and myself. Maybe I shouldn't have chose to use that, but that is what buzzkillers are.

KrushLTx10
  • KrushLTx10

Speedy and Slightly Agitated

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 July 2013 - 07:22 AM

This seems like a great idea, but highly highly unlikely. On the part of the entire map holding every online player, I think for it to work they'd host lobbies of about 100 people. But seeing as how that's pretty far-fetched it's pretty much wishful thinking. Consoles could probably only handle about 32 people max. Imagine how laggy the game would be with 32 people blowing sh*t up and outrunning the cops at high speeds in a single area/neighborhood. I'm pretty sure the 360 or PS3 would blow up and the framerate would be in the sh*tter.

For the other ideas though such as territory and customizable safehouses I think that would work in freeroam. Just save what you have acquired on your online profile and load it into a free roam game.

Killerdude8
  • Killerdude8

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 08 July 2013 - 07:23 AM

QUOTE (greenrock @ Monday, Jul 8 2013, 01:18)
QUOTE (Killerdude8 @ Monday, Jul 8 2013, 07:17)

its pretty much going to be a seperate game, but all on the same disc

How on earth did you all come to this conclusion?
Did you think maybe it's a codename, Just as the Xbone was called "Durango" for a period of time?

Not mentioning they never said it was a separate game, and everything we've been told isn't even hinting at the possibility it is!

I just want to know where the whole "MMO separate game" thing came from..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users