Australian Classification [OFFICIAL]

212 replies to this topic
Nem_Wan
  • Nem_Wan

The Artist Formerly Known As Magic_Al

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 August 2013 - 04:04 AM

Since GTA IV/EFLC eventually got a MA15+ uncut (first console release of IV was cut, possibly by mistake), and since the ratings are completely consistent and logical (cough, cough), this means GTAV is definitely more intense than GTAIV, or else GTAIV would have been banned due to R18+ not existing back then. Yeah, that's right.

Tense
  • Tense

Mr Zucchini

• Members

Posted 03 August 2013 - 04:42 AM

Clearly I'm a little late to the party on this one, but.. YAAAAAAYYYYYYYY!!

Tense
  • Tense

Mr Zucchini

• Members

Posted 03 August 2013 - 04:48 AM

QUOTE (DarrinPA @ Saturday, Aug 3 2013, 06:03)
So is this a sign that GTA V is less violent than previous GTA's, or just that the Aussie Ratings Board has eased up a bit?

Some time last year (or maybe early this year) parliament enacted new laws for video games which extended our system to an 18+ rating. Previously we only had an M15 rating at the highest, although the 18+ existed for movies so it never really made sense.

After a lot of pushing from the community, the government yielded. I was still kind of worried though, because even since the new system came in, we've had a couple of games banned for drug use and benefits derived from drug use in game.

Edit: very sorry for double post!

LotusRIP
  • LotusRIP

King of Los Santos

• Members

Posted 03 August 2013 - 06:44 AM

QUOTE (Tense @ Saturday, Aug 3 2013, 15:48)
So is this a sign that GTA V is less violent than previous GTA's, or just that the Aussie Ratings Board has eased up a bit?

Some time last year (or maybe early this year) parliament enacted new laws for video games which extended our system to an 18+ rating. Previously we only had an M15 rating at the highest, although the 18+ existed for movies so it never really made sense.

After a lot of pushing from the community, the government yielded. I was still kind of worried though, because even since the new system came in, we've had a couple of games banned for drug use and benefits derived from drug use in game.

From what I've read, they introduced the R18+ rating not to allow more extreme content but to seperate what is suitable for adults only... so a way to categorize things differently I guess... but it seems like they've eased up a little and probably realise how successful the GTA franchise has become now so they're more welcoming of it.

Australia's not all that bad, even our prime ministers can be funny:

Prestb97
  • Prestb97

Master of Laziness

• Members

Posted 03 August 2013 - 07:44 AM

QUOTE (Korisselys @ Wednesday, Jul 31 2013, 22:13)
to bad many 12 year olds will still get their grubby hands on the game then the parents will go crying to R* saying their kid started cursing and using drugs becuz of the game

That's funny, seeing as how kids that age don't magically start cussing and doing drugs because of video games, like some would immediately assume. Nowadays it's either the internet or school that teaches them stuff like that.

UrbanTheEmcee
  • UrbanTheEmcee

I'm that bada** n*gga yo moms warned you about.

• Members

Posted 03 August 2013 - 08:13 AM

user posted image

I don't know why all countries don't just use our rating system.

That rated M for Mature just looks so clean. I cringe everytime I hear some sh*t like "pegi 18+"

MindlessMeerk4t
  • MindlessMeerk4t

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 August 2013 - 09:23 AM

Why is ppl saying gtav might not being developed for the uk when rockstar north is a British company.

albiethegreat
  • albiethegreat

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 August 2013 - 10:24 AM

It is also good news for us in New Zealand as we won't be getting an Australian cut version distributed here any more! biggrin.gif

Tense
  • Tense

Mr Zucchini

• Members

Posted 03 August 2013 - 03:52 PM

QUOTE (LotusRIP @ Saturday, Aug 3 2013, 16:44)

From what I've read, they introduced the R18+ rating not to allow more extreme content but to seperate what is suitable for adults only... so a way to categorize things differently I guess... but it seems like they've eased up a little and probably realise how successful the GTA franchise has become now so they're more welcoming of it.

Gillard was such a weirdly top heavy looking woman I'm surprised that didn't happen all the time. I reckon her centre of gravity is up somewhere around her neck.

SMG
  • SMG

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 03 August 2013 - 04:11 PM

Wishful thinking mate but if you actually read the new classification guidelines, you will find that R18+ is actually more restrictive than it was under an MA15+ rating. They are not easing up, they just banned Saints Row 4 and the appeal was not successful even with edits. If we were still under the MA15+ guidelines, Saints Row 4 would have passed under MA15+. Nothing to do with Federal Politics either, it is controlled by the States.

Game2048
  • Game2048

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 03 August 2013 - 04:13 PM Edited by Game2048, 04 August 2013 - 05:38 PM.

QUOTE (man dragon @ Friday, Aug 2 2013, 08:13)
QUOTE (billy james @ Friday, Aug 2 2013, 08:11)
QUOTE ([DRuG)
Smallo,Friday, Aug 2 2013, 18:00]
QUOTE (Kirsty @ Friday, Aug 2 2013, 16:50)
Don't feed the troll† icon14.gif

Instead of telling us to not feed the trolls how about you ban the guy for racial slander.

I'm no genius but until he insults someone he can't be banned

Insulting 20 million Australians isn't enough?

Are you complete idiot?

I'm talking about the laws relating to the games and not about Australians.

And another question - why are you so inadequate and are taking this as a serious offense? Some countries have stupid laws and you can laugh at them, but it doesn't mean that you disrespect the whole nation in a strong manner.

Regarding laws about games - yes, they are very inadequate and very stupid in your country. Especially, they are stupid in those cases when games are banned for bureaucratic reasons, and there is no actual sense in justification of ban.

It could be OK for some muslim country, but not for a modern country with Western culture

Frantz Fuchs
  • Frantz Fuchs

640509-040147

• Members

Posted 03 August 2013 - 04:16 PM

QUOTE (UrbanTheEmcee @ Saturday, Aug 3 2013, 08:13)
user posted image

That rated M for Mature just looks so clean. I cringe everytime I hear some sh*t like "pegi 18+"

Another American who thinks the world should revolve around him? Who would've known.

Wheatley
  • Wheatley

The World Has Turned and Left Me Here.

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 03 August 2013 - 04:19 PM

The PEGI system is fine because it has different colours for different ratings. For example, 3+ is a light green while 18+ is a bright red. This makes it much easier for parents or guardians to take notice of the rating on the front of the box instead of a plain black and white.

lazloisdavrock
  • lazloisdavrock

Boss

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 August 2013 - 04:39 PM

QUOTE (Frantz Fuchs @ Saturday, Aug 3 2013, 12:16)
user posted image

Another American who thinks the world should revolve around him? Who would've known.

or he just likes the way it looks, sheesh

Pyrrhus
  • Pyrrhus

Jawsome!

• Feroci
  • Australia

Posted 03 August 2013 - 05:01 PM

QUOTE (SMG @ Sunday, Aug 4 2013, 00:11)
Wishful thinking mate but if you actually read the new classification guidelines, you will find that R18+ is actually more restrictive than it was under an MA15+ rating. They are not easing up, they just banned Saints Row 4 and the appeal was not successful even with edits. If we were still under the MA15+ guidelines, Saints Row 4 would have passed under MA15+. Nothing to do with Federal Politics either, it is controlled by the States.
  • The Classification Review Board looked at the original version which incentivised drug use in an optional side mission.
  • The modified version without that mission has been submitted to the Classification Board and been given an MA15+ rating.

t-p-d-a
  • t-p-d-a

Peon

• Members

Posted 03 August 2013 - 05:31 PM

18+? cool. 90 Percent of the GTAforum are not allowed to play GTA V

mikeinthahouse
  • mikeinthahouse

Rockford Hills Resident

• Members

Posted 03 August 2013 - 05:32 PM

QUOTE (Frantz Fuchs @ Saturday, Aug 3 2013, 16:16)
user posted image

I'm Canadian and like it too. Ours is ESRB too btw

Nem_Wan
  • Nem_Wan

The Artist Formerly Known As Magic_Al

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 August 2013 - 10:39 PM

QUOTE (Pyrrhus @ Saturday, Aug 3 2013, 11:01)
QUOTE (SMG @ Sunday, Aug 4 2013, 00:11)

• The Classification Review Board looked at the original version which incentivised drug use in an optional side mission.
  • The modified version without that mission has been submitted to the Classification Board and been given an MA15+ rating.

The bottom line is the government of Australia thinks it is within its power to determine there is such a thing as a work of fiction, containing nothing but animated fantasy, that even adults should be legally prohibited from buying. This is completely absurd and an illegitimate exercise of power in violation of inalienable human rights of free thought and expression. No government can claim to be answerable to its people if it claims the power to control ideas.

SHOTIMITSU
  • SHOTIMITSU

Rat

• Members

Posted 03 August 2013 - 11:19 PM

I remember back in 08 when Australia got the cut version of IV us in New Zealand did too. That pissed me off soo much even though it was not breakng any of our classification ratings.

I<3GTAV
  • I<3GTAV

I LOVE GARY PAYTON NO ONE UNDERSTANDS

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 August 2013 - 11:48 PM

QUOTE (Frantz Fuchs @ Saturday, Aug 3 2013, 11:16)
user posted image

Another foreigner who stereotypes Americans? Who would've known.

Tense
  • Tense

Mr Zucchini

• Members

Posted 03 August 2013 - 11:58 PM

QUOTE (SMG @ Sunday, Aug 4 2013, 02:11)

As regards the federal/state issue, I think you're right, although I know the senate needed to pass the bill to have the ratings system become uniform across all media (games, movies etc), so really it was both federal and state.

All the states had to do was have their attorneys-general consent to it (this was where things were held up for almost ten years) and pass complementary laws. It's not quite a total referral of powers to the Commonwealth, I don't think, but close enough to it.

Its interesting, I know one community consultation recieved almost 60,000 submissions in support of the changes and it still took so long to change.

LondonGent
  • LondonGent

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 04 August 2013 - 06:33 AM

QUOTE (gtamad8 @ Wednesday, Jul 31 2013, 22:17)
QUOTE (taazr @ Wednesday, Jul 31 2013, 21:43)
How is the 'Language' not at the highest setting? In GTA IV they said every single swear word that exists over and over.
Oh well at least this pretty much confirms you can smoke weed.

I never heard c*nt or ni**er.

N*gga is in Franklins trailer. In the song. I luv dat sh*t. The ONLY company that puts the n word in a trailer.

Pyrrhus
  • Pyrrhus

Jawsome!

• Feroci
  • Australia

Posted 04 August 2013 - 07:30 AM

QUOTE (Magic_Al @ Sunday, Aug 4 2013, 06:39)
The bottom line is the government of Australia thinks it is within its power to determine there is such a thing as a work of fiction, containing nothing but animated fantasy, that even adults should be legally prohibited from buying. This is completely absurd and an illegitimate exercise of power in violation of inalienable human rights of free thought and expression. No government can claim to be answerable to its people if it claims the power to control ideas.

Australia doesn't have constitutionally protected freedom of speech.

UnseenPrecision
  • UnseenPrecision

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 04 August 2013 - 10:45 PM

I wonder why the rating only says drug use

Revolution-XW
  • Revolution-XW

LuisWayne

• Members

Posted 05 August 2013 - 12:51 AM

I am very glad for my fellow Ausie gamers that know what a true real game is. icon14.gif

Showstopper 26
  • Showstopper 26

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 05 August 2013 - 01:00 AM

QUOTE (UnseenPrecision @ Sunday, Aug 4 2013, 18:45)

It says more than that.

NYC PATROL
  • NYC PATROL

"Patrolling and Observing Forums Since 2005"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 05 August 2013 - 01:01 AM

QUOTE (Showstopper 26 @ Sunday, Aug 4 2013, 21:00)

It says more than that.

He's talking about the picture of the AU site I think.

http://i.imgur.com/iS1eoLH.jpg

Showstopper 26
  • Showstopper 26

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 05 August 2013 - 01:05 AM

QUOTE (NYC PATROL @ Sunday, Aug 4 2013, 21:01)
QUOTE (Showstopper 26 @ Sunday, Aug 4 2013, 21:00)

It says more than that.

He's talking about the picture of the AU site I think.

http://i.imgur.com/iS1eoLH.jpg

Oh I see. Probably because that's in the high impact category.

aaronimpact
  • aaronimpact

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 05 August 2013 - 02:55 AM Edited by aaronimpact, 05 August 2013 - 02:58 AM.

I just wonder if Rockstar self censored the Australian version of GTA V before submitting it to be rated?

I say this because I have two versions of Red Dead Redemption, one is region 1 the other is region 4 (Australia). The region 4 version is censored in the Reyes sex scene, the woman's nipples have been covered with clothing.

Pyrrhus
  • Pyrrhus

Jawsome!

• Feroci
  • Australia

Posted 05 August 2013 - 02:09 PM

QUOTE (aaronimpact @ Monday, Aug 5 2013, 10:55)
I just wonder if Rockstar self censored the Australian version of GTA V before submitting it to be rated?

I say this because I have two versions of Red Dead Redemption, one is region 1 the other is region 4 (Australia). The region 4 version is censored in the Reyes sex scene, the woman's nipples have been covered with clothing.

The console versions of GTA IV were also self censored before submission but the cuts were patched back in after the PC version was passed uncut.

However, I don't think this applies to GTA V as R* would have expected an R18+ rating which they got.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users