[BETA|IV|EFLC] Graphical Bug Fixes

205 replies to this topic
KawakSallas
  • KawakSallas

Kifflom

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 August 2013 - 01:56 AM

Well, my guess are on timecyc, or rage_postfx.

nkjellman
  • nkjellman

OG

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 01 August 2013 - 05:29 AM Edited by nkjellman, 01 August 2013 - 06:23 AM.

So here is what I found after doing some testing as far as the Shadow Density/Night Shadows go.

1.0.4.0:
-Shadow density is the same thing as Night Shadows, except its more customizeable. The higher, the more shadows there are. It causes the same bugs as Night Shadows. Set it at 16, you got Night Shadows.
-There are no vehicle shadows in the Booth Tunnel no matter what setting. (Could be different on ati.)
-Shadow density set at 0 acts like the console. Some lights inside interiors including the booth tunnel make shadows. However, in interiors, car headlights make objects cast shadows too. This doesn't happen on console. Pitch black tunnels is not an issue. Cars in booth tunnel don't cast shadows.
-Shadows in interiors look different with shadows on low, and don't show when its set to off.

Xbox 360/PS3 version:
-Acts like 1.0.4.0 with shadow density at 0. No darkening lights when you get close, same lights in interiors make objects cast shadows. Car head lights in interiors don't make objects cast shadows. Vehicles don't cast shadows in interiors.

1.0.7.0:
-Night Shadows acts like 1.0.4.0 Shadow Density on 16 on Medium, High, and Very High.
-Medium, High, and Very High look exactly the same.
-Off disables the extra shadows completly. Even in interiors, nothing makes objects cast shadows. (Note: Excluding the reguler shadows.)
-Night Shadows don't work with normal shadows off, or on low.

Edit: For ENB modifying the trees. I have the solution.

The old ass ENB release. Reflection Test. Its got the original game's reflection look, however it doesn't look distorted (showing vehicle polys). It doesn't touch the trees. So in Beta 2, I'm gonna have an option. By default this will be in it. However, I'll include the new ENB d3d9.dll with d785j's tree config he made. The trees will have better shadows, but you will get to choose between that and default, well keeping fixed reflections. NOTE: DLL's will be modified to have no intro text, much like the one is in Beta 1.

If you guys want, here is the link to a web archive from 2009. The one you want is GTA 4 reflections test.
http://web.archive.o...download_en.htm

cp1dell
  • cp1dell

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 August 2013 - 10:59 AM

Sky Lighting and Detailed Shadows can be disabled since you're only using ENB for the original reflections, right?

The Clansman
  • The Clansman

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 01 August 2013 - 02:13 PM

I don't know if this is some kind of placebo effect, but the game seems to run smoother now...

brian.
  • brian.

Possible Descendant Of Kraff

• BUSTED!

Posted 01 August 2013 - 02:41 PM Edited by brian., 01 August 2013 - 02:48 PM.

nkjellman, I have experienced a different kind of water bug than the jello bug (never had that), it is more like the scrolling of the water uv is not timed properly, where eventually, everything gets more and more repeated looking, smaller and smaller. Are you familr with this bug? Even on lowest settings, at water level, it will look more and more like I'm higher and higher in the sky with "poor tiling" (obvious tiling), more and more - best way I can explain it.

One more try: It's like the water gets more and more "geometrically in-organic" in terms of the waves and looks weird, it can also cause the game to stutter when otherwise it runs really smooth.

Any idea? Anything that can be done? Nvidia card, i don't think it happened on my old ATI card.

For me, I think it is the source of the "memory leak" ideas we have heard about - I think the water keeps rendering more and more over itself or something until it slows the game down.

I don't know if this is some kind of placebo effect, but the game seems to run smoother now...

Probably legit. I've not tried this release yet, but some of the source mods, especially ENB, improve performance drastically for some.

The Clansman
  • The Clansman

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 01 August 2013 - 03:50 PM

I did some tests, and yes, this mod improve the overall performance

My settings: Texture quality, reflection resolution and water quality on high. Shadow quality on very high, night shadows off (they're ugly by the way). Anisotropic on 8x (Looks better than 16x, don't know why), View and detail distance on 100, vehicle density 40. Patch 7.

Hardware: i5 3550, 660 Ti

I set the framerate to 42 via command line, and got 38-42 fps in-game. Before installing this mod, on lower view and detail distances, the framerate often dropped under 30 fps.

Amazing job with this mod mate.

cp1dell
  • cp1dell

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 August 2013 - 06:46 PM

Strange, I suffer a performance hit whenever IV is using a d3d9.dll file. Whether or not ENB was enabled (Shift+F12) having a d3d9.dll file in my IV folder, and being used by the game knocked down my FPS a bit. It could be an AMD problem though.

nkjellman
  • nkjellman

OG

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 01 August 2013 - 06:50 PM Edited by nkjellman, 01 August 2013 - 07:47 PM.

I'm glad to know the mod is increasing performance for people. I didn't intend it to do so, but I guess it does. I think I might know why it is. The p7 gta_emmissivestrong shader is now the p4 one, and all of the traffic lights use gta_default. Normally, they use gta_emmissivestrong, exept two use gta_default. I think this is what might be increasing performance.

As far as using the old enb series goes. I decided to only use the new one. The old enb series still has reflection bugs on the side. It makes little stripes on the side of the car. Also the non dynamic shadow wasn't rendering around the wheels of vehicles, and under the car. Only around the edges.

I will be releasing a new version soon. ENB Series in the new build will be in its own folder so you can choose whether or not to install it.

nkjellman
  • nkjellman

OG

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 01 August 2013 - 09:10 PM

Beta 1.1 Released

UPDATES
-Added the option to choose to install ENB Series as an add on.
-Added FXAA as an add on.
-Added the console timecyc's and visual settings extracted from the Xbox 360 version as an add on. (DLC Version of TLAD not supported.)
-Updated the trees in ENB Series. Now they won't look bad, or as I like to say, like a painting. They do look better than the original in my oppinion as they got more detailed shadows.

Download link is on the first page.

KawakSallas
  • KawakSallas

Kifflom

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 August 2013 - 09:25 PM Edited by KawakSallas, 01 August 2013 - 09:28 PM.

Download link not working... try sendspace, or skydrive.

"Fix Z-Fighting, typically visible around shorelines when flying high in a heli" Now THIS is something to work on.

nkjellman
  • nkjellman

OG

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 01 August 2013 - 11:25 PM Edited by nkjellman, 01 August 2013 - 11:30 PM.

QUOTE (KawakSallas @ Thursday, Aug 1 2013, 21:25)
Download link not working... try sendspace, or skydrive.

"Fix Z-Fighting, typically visible around shorelines when flying high in a heli" Now THIS is something to work on.

I'm gonna need help from experienced moders for that one.

Edit: The file didn't upload. I'll have to fix it when I get home.

Jestic
  • Jestic

Chris

• GTA Mods Staff
  • Netherlands
  • Helpfulness Award
    Contribution Award [Mods]
    Best Conversion 2014 [ViIV for GTANY Contribution]
    Best Map 2011 [IVSA]
    Modding Milestone [IVSA/Ped Paths]
    Best Map 2013 [ViceCityStories PC Edition][Contribution]

Posted 01 August 2013 - 11:40 PM

Z-figting.

Something tells me this wasn't on consoles, anyone can confirm this??

If so, then it's a technical issue.

A work around would be to move the LODs in z-axis, just a little bit. LOD's are all in the external WPLs, so you dont have to pack 150mb IMG files for a 100kb difference, fortunately.

cp1dell
  • cp1dell

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 August 2013 - 12:26 AM

So what exactly is the difference between the PC timecyc and the console timecyc?

Is the console timecyc just a more updated version? I've heard that the PC version of GTA IV has some outdated files compared to the console version, like the PC suits and shoes were part of the Xbox 360 version's alpha or something.

nkjellman
  • nkjellman

OG

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 August 2013 - 02:20 AM

QUOTE (Blaster_nl @ Thursday, Aug 1 2013, 23:40)
Z-figting.

A work around would be to move the LODs in z-axis, just a little bit. LOD's are all in the external WPLs, so you dont have to pack 150mb IMG files for a 100kb difference, fortunately.

Thanks for the tip. I hope moving them won't make bugs. I can confirm that the console doesn't have this issue.

For the console timecyc, it's slightly more colorful than the PC. The biggest difference is in TBOGT.

llllI1llllI1
  • llllI1llllI1

Ghetto Star

• Members

Posted 02 August 2013 - 02:32 AM

QUOTE (cp1dell @ Thursday, Aug 1 2013, 18:26)
So what exactly is the difference between the PC timecyc and the console timecyc?

Is the console timecyc just a more updated version? I've heard that the PC version of GTA IV has some outdated files compared to the console version, like the PC suits and shoes were part of the Xbox 360 version's alpha or something.

The suits may be alpha, but they are nice

Deadly Target
  • Deadly Target

Rat

• Members

Posted 02 August 2013 - 02:47 AM

QUOTE (cp1dell @ Friday, Aug 2 2013, 00:26)
I've heard that the PC version of GTA IV has some outdated files compared to the console version, like the PC suits and shoes were part of the Xbox 360 version's alpha or something.

I don't think they are outdated, it's just that Rockstar Toronto wanted to tweak some minor things for PC players. The console suits are still in the game files, they just aren't accessible in normal gameplay. The multiplayer characters for the PC version were also completely remade and look much higher quality.

cp1dell
  • cp1dell

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 August 2013 - 03:21 AM

Oh alright. Thanks for the clarification.

Jestic
  • Jestic

Chris

• GTA Mods Staff
  • Netherlands
  • Helpfulness Award
    Best Map 2011 [IVSA]

Posted 02 August 2013 - 03:30 AM Edited by Blaster_nl, 02 August 2013 - 03:33 AM.

QUOTE (nkjellman @ Friday, Aug 2 2013, 04:20)
QUOTE (Blaster_nl @ Thursday, Aug 1 2013, 23:40)
Z-figting.

Thanks for the tip. I hope moving them won't make bugs. I can confirm that the console doesn't have this issue.

For the console timecyc, it's slightly more colorful than the PC. The biggest difference is in TBOGT.

Unfortunately I don't have EFLC 360 version on my pc. Need to download it some time (don't blame me, I have them as DLC on my xbox, no way I can copy that to my pc!)

I do have IV 360 version on my pc though. I compared the timecyc with the one from pc; 21 differences. That's not a lot for a file that has something like 10.000 values.

The first difference is the ambient color at midnight (between 12 and 5am) on the sunny weather, pc has a light green color, while 360 light blue. Not sure how different this will actually look ingame.

PC
user posted image

user posted image

cp1dell
  • cp1dell

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 August 2013 - 03:34 AM Edited by cp1dell, 02 August 2013 - 03:38 AM.

Quick question/suggestion: It's probably a design choice, but is there any way you could implement a fix that removes that "feature" where weapons are automatically zoomed in on TBoGT?

EDIT: And if you're looking for a more colorful timecyc, I have a custom one with timecycle modifiers on GTA4-Mods that lightens up the filter and fixes saturation, basically removing/improving that dark green/gray filter and fixing the weathers so colors aren't black and white during certain times. But if you're looking to stick to the themes and colors of the default game, that's fine. Just a suggestion.

nkjellman
  • nkjellman

OG

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 August 2013 - 05:15 AM Edited by nkjellman, 02 August 2013 - 05:32 AM.

Ok, now V1.1 is up. Sorry about that guys.
Beta 1.1 Released

UPDATES
-Added the option to choose to install ENB Series as an add on.
-Added FXAA as an add on.
-Added the console timecyc's and visual settings extracted from the Xbox 360 version as an add on. (DLC Version of TLAD not supported.)
-Updated the trees in ENB Series. Now they won't look bad, or as I like to say, like a painting. They do look better than the original in my oppinion as they got more detailed shadows.

Download link is on the first page.

Here are two screens of afternoon with the TBOGT console timecyc.dat and the better trees.
user posted image

user posted image

llllI1llllI1
  • llllI1llllI1

Ghetto Star

• Members

Posted 02 August 2013 - 07:31 AM Edited by sibs44, 02 August 2013 - 07:34 AM.

Take a look at saturation. Console saturation is a lot higher than the PC version. Also, impostors (lights at night from the sky) look at the difference. PC feels empty and colorless, while consoles have more variety.

Console:
user posted image

PC:
user posted image
  • Sweet Bellic likes this

The Clansman
  • The Clansman

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 02 August 2013 - 11:59 AM

Hey Blaster_nl, can you do the same comparison with the console and pc visualsettings? Motion Blur on consoles are way more present.

GTARandom
  • GTARandom

Unfortunate piece of meat

• Feroci
  • Croatia

Posted 02 August 2013 - 12:21 PM Edited by GTARandom, 02 August 2013 - 12:23 PM.

QUOTE (sibs44 @ Friday, Aug 2 2013, 09:31)
Take a look at saturation. Console saturation is a lot higher than the PC version. Also, impostors (lights at night from the sky) look at the difference. PC feels empty and colorless, while consoles have more variety.

Console:

PC:

Yeah, it's been always like that. Ever since GTA III - i always felt GTA's felt legit on console while on PC washed out - still ofcourse better on PC in overal cus it has it's goodies.

That's probably cus Rockstar develops PC versions like they take a sh*t, while console versions are made with love cus they know that brings biggest profit dozingoff.gif
  • Jestic and Sweet Bellic like this

Jestic
  • Jestic

Chris

• GTA Mods Staff
  • Netherlands
  • Helpfulness Award
    Best Map 2011 [IVSA]

Posted 02 August 2013 - 08:02 PM

QUOTE (The Clansman @ Friday, Aug 2 2013, 13:59)
Hey Blaster_nl, can you do the same comparison with the console and pc visualsettings? Motion Blur on consoles are way more present.

Done. They are an exact match! No differences. Thus the reason it's in the 'common folder', it's same on all platforms.

The blur is an engine thing I guess. Consoles also have the definition "setting" turned off I believe, it also adds blur on higher speeds, I think.
  • Sweet Bellic likes this

nkjellman
  • nkjellman

OG

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 August 2013 - 08:47 PM

QUOTE (Blaster_nl @ Friday, Aug 2 2013, 20:02)

Done. They are an exact match! No differences. Thus the reason it's in the 'common folder', it's same on all platforms.

The blur is an engine thing I guess. Consoles also have the definition "setting" turned off I believe, it also adds blur on higher speeds, I think.

I copied it just encase I missed something, same goes for the timecyc modifiers.

Deadly Target
  • Deadly Target

Rat

• Members

Posted 02 August 2013 - 08:58 PM

QUOTE (Blaster_nl @ Friday, Aug 2 2013, 20:02)

Would you mind uploading the console timecycle here, or maybe posting a screenshot comparison in game? I would like to see how different they look, even if it's only barely noticeable.

KawakSallas
  • KawakSallas

Kifflom

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 August 2013 - 09:32 PM

PC Timecyc, Midnight, Sunny

user posted image

XBox 360 Timecyc, Midnight, Sunny

user posted image

The Xbox one seems to be somewhat brighter
Can anyone get a PS3 Timecyc, just for the comparison?

nkjellman
  • nkjellman

OG

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 August 2013 - 10:25 PM

Not certain, but I think the PS3 one is the same as the Xbox 360.

Deadly Target
  • Deadly Target

Rat

• Members

Posted 02 August 2013 - 11:34 PM Edited by Deadly Target, 02 August 2013 - 11:44 PM.

nkjellman, my bad! I didn't realize you added the console timecycles in your latest release! Thank you!

@KawakSallas Great comparison! I prefer the brighter look.

cp1dell
  • cp1dell

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 August 2013 - 01:05 AM

The lights in the 360 timecyc blend in much better with the environment. On the PC one you can see the color gradient, and it looks pretty bad.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users