Andreas
  • Andreas

GTAV Forum Leader

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Austria
  • Best Avatar 2013
    Best New Member 2012
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 28 July 2013 - 06:59 PM Edited by Andreas, 04 January 2014 - 09:30 PM.

I have looked through the topic list from the last couple of weeks and even performed a search, but I couldn't find any topics about this subject, which somewhat surprises me.

Anyway, according to examiner, it is not the first time that Rockstar Games considered multiple protagonists in one of their titles. As you know, GTAV will have three protagonists, however, Leslie Benzes, who is known for his work for the Grand Theft Auto series, revealed that they did in fact think about including multiple protagonists in GTA San Andreas; which was not possible though due the technical limitations of the PlayStation 2 and Xbox.

I have checked the credibility of the source, and it turned out that it's in fact true. The original interview from Jeuxactu says this (translated to English):

Where did you get the idea of three exchangable characters?

Leslie: We had already thought about multiple playable characters in San Andreas, but we couldn't put it up for technical reasons. [...]

So what do you think? Would you have liked the idea of multiple protagonists in San Andreas?

Tacymist
  • Tacymist

Onward towards the kawaii

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 28 July 2013 - 07:15 PM

That's pretty interesting. Anyway I'd have probably been against it at first, and then after a while I'd start to see the benefits of having multiple protags and enjoy it more. At least that's what my initial feeling was when it was announced GTA V would have 3 protags, it took me a while before I decided it was a good thing.

j7n
  • j7n

Buster

• Members

Posted 28 July 2013 - 07:24 PM

I would like to be able to neglect one or two protagonists, which I don't identify with, and allow the remaining one(s) do the missions if possible. I was okay with CJ, but a few from other titles I hated. In them, I didn't have much motivation to make them powerful playa's.

Backfire6
  • Backfire6

༼ຈل͜ຈ༽

• Members

Posted 28 July 2013 - 08:57 PM

wow Good find.

Linc.
  • Linc.

Betty, don't start up with your white zone sh*t again.

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 28 July 2013 - 09:21 PM

If three protagonists was the norm in San Andreas we would have all been complaining about only having one in GTA 4! lol.gif

Nem Wan
  • Nem Wan

The Artist Formerly Known As Magic_Al

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 29 July 2013 - 12:30 AM

It's interesting to speculate how a multiple-protagonist story would have gone in San Andreas. It's known that Rockstar starts with a map before they get too far into a story, so how much did they think about where all the protagonists would live and what their stories would have been?

It's easy to assume CJ still would have been the "main" protagonist, the one who starts the game, and possibly the only new protagonist. Claude is probably another one, since the final story includes him anyway. Perhaps the third would have been an older Tommy Vercetti (probably with a new voice actor), "retired" and moved west much like Michael in GTAV. Then San Andreas would have had protagonists past, present, and future in one game.

AnDReJ98
  • AnDReJ98

Soldier

• Members
  • Serbia

Posted 29 July 2013 - 10:33 AM

^^^Good idea.

Los Santos would have CJ
San Fierro would have Claude
Las Venturas would have Tommy

Player wouldn't be able to play all three protagonists from the start, like in V.

ThatSpecialSomeone
  • ThatSpecialSomeone

• Members
  • Slovakia

Posted 29 July 2013 - 11:24 AM Edited by 0909090, 29 July 2013 - 11:33 AM.

I think if SA would have multiple protagonists they would have been from different part of the state, but they would be somehow close to each other. For example I can't see Big Smoke being protagonist despite his frequent appearance in early missions. As we know he later became antagonist and he basically stayed all time in his hideout sending few of his allies out every now and then. And he doesn't contact CJ after The Green Sabre. Claude wouldn't be good choice either since his role is quite small and he has no contact with CJ. Claude is just somebody who can do whatever you tell him to do, they wouldn't be good company with CJ.
However, I think Cesar would be perfect protagonist in my opinion. He is quite close to CJ and he hangs out in different neighbourhood and has different friends and contact's as well. They work together on quite a few missions in original game, for example take Hijack mission, CJ calls Cesar for help and they together come after Truck and steal it. It would be perfect mission where you could use multiple protagonist feature. And in few other missions as well.
As for the third protagonist, I have no idea who would be the best choice. I thought of Woozie, but he isn't in contact with CJ during whole game and they rarely appear in missions (not in cutscenes) together. But seeing other characters, I think that Woozie will be the best choice anyway.
Edit: Corrected stupid mistake cuz Andre ass told me to do so

Vanzant
  • Vanzant

EZ5

• United-States

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:42 PM

Your topic title contradicts your thread. If Rockstar thought it was a good idea doesn't mean it was supposed to happen. tounge.gif

lol232
  • lol232

The Harwood Butcher

• Members
  • Serbia

Posted 29 July 2013 - 11:24 PM

QUOTE (lzw3 @ Sunday, Jul 28 2013, 22:21)
If three protagonists was the norm in San Andreas we would have all been complaining about only having one in GTA 4! lol.gif

But we do have 3 Protagonists in IV! sly.gif

FiS!!HeR
  • FiS!!HeR

Villager

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 July 2013 - 11:19 AM

Interesting to read the hidden plans that were made and shared in and within the corridors of Rockstar Games. It's always fun to read what happens behind their closed doors. What they thought of, what changed, why it changed and so on.

ExtremoMania
  • ExtremoMania

Just a dose of metal everyday

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 30 July 2013 - 11:27 AM

QUOTE (lol232 @ Tuesday, Jul 30 2013, 07:24)
QUOTE (lzw3 @ Sunday, Jul 28 2013, 22:21)

But we do have 3 Protagonists in IV! sly.gif

Yeah but in very different episodes. And Johnny and Luis only appeared as a minor character in IV and vice versa in TLAD and TBoGT.

The Gardener
  • The Gardener

jebeno isti

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 July 2013 - 05:17 PM

Wonder if the other two still featured in the game.

CJ, Cesar and maybe a member of the Sindacco mafia?

unc13bud
  • unc13bud

Weekend Answerer

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 August 2013 - 07:26 PM

it would have sold more copies if they had made some caucasian characters.

latigreblue
  • latigreblue

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 04 August 2013 - 09:25 PM

Nothing about the game, storyline or characters indicates that this idea went beyond that early 'just bouncing ideas off each other' stage.

Hodgey.
  • Hodgey.

GTA III, VC, SA, LCS, VCS, IV, TLAD, TBoGT and V all 100%

• Members
  • England
  • Best Avatar 2012
    Winner of Euro 2012 Prediction League

Posted 04 August 2013 - 11:47 PM

Its hard for me to say wheter i would of liked 3 protags now that i have known GTA SA just to be Carl's city for the past 9 years. Obviously it could of worked if it was techinally possible to do so as the map is obviously large enough and maybe could of had one protag in each city.

Spider-Vice
  • Spider-Vice

Let's Bounce

• Zaibatsu
  • Portugal
  • Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 04 August 2013 - 11:47 PM

QUOTE (Vanzant @ Monday, Jul 29 2013, 22:42)
Your topic title contradicts your thread. If Rockstar thought it was a good idea doesn't mean it was supposed to happen. tounge.gif

But they did think it was, the reason was:
but we couldn't put it up for technical reasons

tounge.gif

That would have been quite curious to see where each would have lived. I bet the Mulholland safehouse was for one of the protagonists.

unc13bud
  • unc13bud

Weekend Answerer

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 August 2013 - 10:40 PM

all i have been thinking anyway was both gta iv and gta v were just highly rendered, more graphically detailed versions of gta III and GTASA. we know different now, but i remember thinking in 2003 the reason Claude Speed didn't talk in the game was because he was foreign...

nightwalker83
  • nightwalker83

Don't mind me

• Members

Posted 12 August 2013 - 12:40 AM

You mean like "EFLC"?

Human

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 August 2013 - 01:11 AM

It makes me curious as to who the other protags in San Andreas were going to be.

King Andreas
  • King Andreas

(_)

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 August 2013 - 01:16 AM

Nothing (and I mean nothing) in the games code index supports this, thus suggesting this was an idea that was never even halfway put into place.

ten-a-penny
  • ten-a-penny

Pardon my English

• Members
  • Libya

Posted 13 August 2013 - 04:39 PM

HELL YEAH!!! too bad the next game (GTA V) will only be in los santos *shot but I feel like its gonna be AWESOME! anyway...NOTHING CAN BEAT GTA SA!!! the only downgrade is the graphics....anyway...I keep imagening that, if they was multiple characters, one of the others/the other one will be tenpenny cool.gif ....I JUST LOVE THAT GUY cool.gif inlove.gif devil.gif I cried when he died suicidal.gif cryani.gif

Silent
  • Silent

Moderating Cookie Monster

• Feroci Racing
  • Poland
  • Most Helpful [GTA] 2013
    Most Helpful [Modding] 2013
    Most Talented [Modding] 2013
    Best Map 2013 "ViceCityStories PC Edition"
    Best Vehicle 2013 "III Aircraft"
    Most Helpful [Modding] 2012
    Modder of the Year 2012

Posted 25 August 2013 - 04:46 PM Edited by SilentPL, 25 August 2013 - 05:34 PM.

QUOTE (King Andreas @ Monday, Aug 12 2013, 03:16)
Nothing (and I mean nothing) in the games code index supports this, thus suggesting this was an idea that was never even halfway put into place.

I know it's been a while since you posted this, but you are horribly wrong. Game code DOES hint that, you could check my attempt to re-use it:

The idea was taken down soon I guess, but game WAS playable at that moment already, as evidenced by my footage.

This time R* did not lie at all. Amazing find OP icon14.gif
  • Craig Kostelecky and In45do like this

Legomanarthur
  • Legomanarthur

We all want peace! But my peace, not their f*cking peace

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 25 August 2013 - 04:54 PM

QUOTE (SilentPL @ Sunday, Aug 25 2013, 16:46)
QUOTE (King Andreas @ Monday, Aug 12 2013, 03:16)

Sorry for bumping this, but you are horribly wrong. Game code DOES hint that, you could check my attempt to re-use it:

The idea was taken down soon I guess, but game WAS playable at that moment already, as evidenced by my footage.

This time R* did not lie at all. Amazing find OP icon14.gif

Wow that's amazing !! inlove.gif

ThatSpecialSomeone
  • ThatSpecialSomeone

• Members
  • Slovakia

Posted 25 August 2013 - 05:04 PM

What really makes me wonder, how could those files remain undiscovered until now. I mean it's clear that nobody knew about multiple protagonists before, but the game is so old that I would think somebody might find this.

King Andreas
  • King Andreas

(_)

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 August 2013 - 10:16 PM

San Andreas was released in 2004 for the PS2, whereas it was released in 2005 for the PC. The point: Partially implementing this on PC and not the PS2 is outlandish. Nonetheless, I do believe this idea was considered, though I don't believe it was partially implemented, ever.

Silent
  • Silent

• Feroci Racing
  • Poland
    Modder of the Year 2012

Posted 25 August 2013 - 10:20 PM

QUOTE (King Andreas @ Monday, Aug 26 2013, 00:16)
San Andreas was released in 2004 for the PS2, whereas it was released in 2005 for the PC. The point: Partially implementing this on PC and not the PS2 is outlandish. Nonetheless, I do believe this idea was considered, though I don't believe it was partially implemented, ever.

What makes you think the leftover code was absent on PS2 version? I'm pretty sure it was present in it too.

King Andreas
  • King Andreas

(_)

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 August 2013 - 10:55 PM

All PS2 files (and the contents) have been discovered. However, there are a few areas of data that have no effect, strangely.

Silent
  • Silent

• Feroci Racing
  • Poland
    Modder of the Year 2012

Posted 25 August 2013 - 10:57 PM

QUOTE (King Andreas @ Monday, Aug 26 2013, 00:55)
All PS2 files (and the contents) have been discovered. However, there are a few areas of data that have no effect, strangely.

Show me any documentations of PS2 ELF file then. It's a PlayStation equivalent of PC EXE file and I can assure you it HASN'T been researched much (no one likes reversing MIPS code). Such thing isn't left in data files, which indeed don't have any evidence left. Game engine does though.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Rumpy Bumps

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 25 August 2013 - 11:08 PM

That would be cool. Then maybe we could play as someone better than CJ.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users