Dashcams

10 replies to this topic
Ex Hellraiser
  • Ex Hellraiser

Legendary

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 July 2013 - 04:47 AM

Hey all, I got a few simple questions. I am all for security, and I would feel much more secure having a dashcam on my car, to stop insurance fraud, hit and runs, stupid drivers etc. if any of them should happen. I have been looking for a good dashcam for a while, but considering I just bought a new Droid Razr, the camera on it will more than suffice for video quality. However, my issue is that I want a permanent mount. Most phone mounts on Amazon have only suction cups for support. If I were to take evasive action, like swerving, or if I were in a wreck, the camera (in this case, by $300 cell phone) and it's mount would become nothing more than a flying hunk of metal and plastic. Those that have the ability to screw on permanently have an area which the phone sits on that is very large and bulky, and would block the camera on my phone.

What would be a good dashcam mount that you could recommend me? I want one that is permanent (screws into my dashboard). My car is old and not of much value, so I don't mind drilling holes to make sure the mount holds.

Do any of you use a dashcam? If so, what kind do you use, and would you recommend it to others?

Have any of you caught anything interesting on camera while driving? Feel free to share anything you have.

Outcast
  • Outcast

Scorps4Lyfe

• The Connection
  • Taiwan

Posted 28 July 2013 - 10:02 AM

I know dashcams are super popular in Russia and Taiwan. Almost everyone I know in Taiwan has a dashcam and they're quite common in stores. I don't have one myself but I have recently started looking at GoPros (so I can capture my mountain drives). I'm pretty confident it can double as a dashcam in normal traffic though.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Thou shalt not commit logical fallacies

• United-Kingdom

Posted 28 July 2013 - 10:24 AM

I keep meaning to get one, as if they're timestamped they're very useful in the event of an accident to prove liability.
I've got an older model GoPro kicking around somewhere as well but that's not really the same thing.

I'm intending on getting a DVR-027

zyonig
  • zyonig

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 28 July 2013 - 08:42 PM

A good dashcam has been on my "to-get" list for a while. I am curious to read about any recommendations that come up here too.

ryuclan
  • ryuclan

Maybe I'll Stay awhile

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 29 July 2013 - 12:00 AM

I've used my Drift HD cam as a dash cam for a while now. It records in a very wide angle which tends to capture things on either side of the front of the vehicle. It has time stamps and the sticky mounts are super cheap. I bought a mount to put on my helmet as well and although the quality isn't the best it is great for recording rides.

Ex Hellraiser
  • Ex Hellraiser

Legendary

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 July 2013 - 12:24 AM

Well, a Drift HD is the best choice for a helmet cam, but I'm not going to strive for a motorcycle anytime soon, need to get a real job first. I might get a bike while I'm off to college, but that's at least a year down the road...

ryuclan
  • ryuclan

Maybe I'll Stay awhile

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 29 July 2013 - 12:56 AM

QUOTE (fatal1ty619 @ Monday, Jul 29 2013, 00:24)
Well, a Drift HD is the best choice for a helmet cam, but I'm not going to strive for a motorcycle anytime soon, need to get a real job first. I might get a bike while I'm off to college, but that's at least a year down the road...

Yeah I feel you. I got mine extra cheap, otherwise I wouldn't have gotten one. I paid 80 bucks for it after winning a bid on Ebay. Then I paid another 20 bucks buying a battery for it. Good luck finding a camera dude, and always know it's not a MUST HAVE item so it can wait.

Ex Hellraiser
  • Ex Hellraiser

Legendary

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 July 2013 - 01:00 AM

Well, it is becoming a higher need of mine recently. I dunno. Watching videos on YT of people stopping insurance fraud, along with me personally driving in traffic that has all of a sudden dropped 25 IQ points within the last month or so, has made me extremely paranoid that there is a retard right around the corner... Which, chances are, there is.

user posted image

This is my dashboard. As you can see, it is pretty awkward, and isn't very good for mounting anything. However, the flat area on the passenger side would be the best platform to mount anything. I want a mount that could be screwed in right there, which would let my phone camera sit high enough to clear the bottom of the windshield. But I can't really find anything that would be good enough... confused.gif

ryuclan
  • ryuclan

Maybe I'll Stay awhile

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 29 July 2013 - 02:22 AM

You're not going to find a permanent mount for a cell phone. Also using your phone as a dash cam is going to get annoying. You'll have to keep erasing old videos.

Ex Hellraiser
  • Ex Hellraiser

Legendary

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 July 2013 - 03:35 AM

QUOTE (ryuclan @ Monday, Jul 29 2013, 02:22)
You're not going to find a permanent mount for a cell phone. Also using your phone as a dash cam is going to get annoying. You'll have to keep erasing old videos.

I've no issue with that. A 32 GB MicroSD card would suffice for me, and I have no problem backing up videos on my computer each night. I would still have to erase old videos anyway if recorded on a regular dashcam...

Ben73
  • Ben73

Homeboy

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 29 July 2013 - 07:28 AM

I just use my Go Pro hero2.
It doesn't have time stamps or anything, but it mounts easily. I just have an adhesive mount on the dashboard.
I can corner very hard, put my foot to the floor or jump on the brakes and the camera stays perfectly still.
1080p and wide angle means I catch a lot.
I have caught a few stupid drivers, I ran into the back of a boat, but didn't have the camera on. I was extremely pissed because later that day I wasn't sure the trailer even had working brake lights on it.

I have been meaning to get a dedicated dashcam, but haven't got around to it. More important things to buy.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users