Photo

I hope that R* doesn't pull a San Andreas

171 replies to this topic
ASNAEB
  • ASNAEB

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 28 July 2013 - 10:44 AM

I agree that the story of SA was messy, but you shouldn't ignore the many things it did right. It took you al the way to the countryside, San Fierro and Las Venturas, all with their own style of missions. Also there's a lot to see in the story that makes it better. CJ was exiled from Los Santos, so he had to do other things and that lead him from the countryside to San Fierro. And he could actually do something there, and going to Las Venturas he made a lot of money and made something out of himself other than a gang member. On the other side, it shows that CJ did what he always has done (like Sweet tells him when he gets out of prison): he ran away from what "really mattered". Sure, it's a bit silly that you're a gang member in the hoods of Los Santos and a little while later you're flying a jet pack out of a militairy base, but SA did pull it off. To me the betrayal of Big Smoke wasn't ruined just because I had experienced all these other things in all these cities and land in between them.

simonp92
  • simonp92

Whodunit?

• Members

Posted 28 July 2013 - 10:51 AM

I honestly think the gameplay aspects of SA is clouding your judgement of the story.

Jack0711
  • Jack0711

Bugstar Employee

• Members

Posted 28 July 2013 - 10:53 AM

I am still a tiny bit skeptical of V's storyline. This is mainly because Rockstar says the story will focus on heists and making money. The reason I liked IV's and SA's (and of course VC's) storylines is because despite all the off-topic sub-plots, you still felt you could really attach to the characters. Ok, maybe not at some points in SA. The problem I have with V is that I worry that the storyline will just be a few individual missions followed by a phone-call saying "let's rob a bank", and repeating that until the heists are over with. Is that how we mark the end of the story? The last of the 6 heists is completed, and the characters can't think of any more ideas, so they just decide to call it a day and keep all their money? That seems weak, really weak.

But I do have faith in Rockstar. I think Franklin will have the strongest storyline, trying to make it big and get away from the gang life. I'm looking forward to that. Trevor on the other hand looks like a character I can laugh at, but not get attached to. "A violent maniac driven by the chance of a cheap high and the next big score." Just seems like he's going to kill a lot of people and take a lot of drugs. And then we get to Michael and his family. If Rockstar do that storyline right, it can be great, but then who can be the main antagonist then? The other man Amanda is sleeping with? Of course, I'm looking forward to playing the storylines of all the characters, but whichever way I look at it, Franklin's will by far be the strongest and more similar to previous GTAs.

Like I said before though, I have faith in Rockstar. From what we've seen from V so far, they've taken in tons of suggestions and feedback from past games and put them all together to make it the best they can. I feel that they will do everything to make the story the best they have told thus far. smile.gif

GroundZero
  • GroundZero

Criminally Insane

• Members
  • Greece

Posted 28 July 2013 - 10:56 AM

I agree with you 100%, OP, and I'm sure that this time, the story will be perfect, even better than IV's one, which is the best story in a GTA game until now, in my opinion.

Mr. Sleepy
  • Mr. Sleepy

Infamous

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 28 July 2013 - 11:07 AM

Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Leslie Benzies or Imran Sarwar say in recent interviews that SA was supposed to have multiple protags, but due to limitation of the hardware they had to cut it back to one protag?

Hence the clusterf*ck of SA, because a story is written first, then comes development, and by the time they were developing SA it was too late to change the story.

T0X1C
  • T0X1C

Carry on My Wayward Son

• Members
  • South-Africa

Posted 28 July 2013 - 11:28 AM

I actually enjoyed the whole "journey across the state of San Andreas" thing. Maybe it's because I was 13 when I played through it, but either way - great memories inlove.gif

bobgtafan
  • bobgtafan

The last thing you never see

• Members

Posted 28 July 2013 - 12:50 PM

QUOTE (Sleepy187. @ Sunday, Jul 28 2013, 11:07)
Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Leslie Benzies or Imran Sarwar say in recent interviews that SA was supposed to have multiple protags, but due to limitation of the hardware they had to cut it back to one protag?

Hence the clusterf*ck of SA, because a story is written first, then comes development, and by the time they were developing SA it was too late to change the story.

This, San Andreas felt like it was meant for multiple characters.

TheDeaconBosco
  • TheDeaconBosco

A car so nice, they've named it twice

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 28 July 2013 - 12:54 PM

QUOTE (Sleepy187. @ Sunday, Jul 28 2013, 12:07)

Wow, you're right. This makes much more sense when you think about it.

http://www.examiner....le-protagonists

I can't belive nobody reported this before...

Corndog93
  • Corndog93

Boss

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 28 July 2013 - 01:30 PM

QUOTE (Deacon Bosco @ Sunday, Jul 28 2013, 23:54)

Why the hell is this only coming out now, that's giant news god damn it

lance22
  • lance22

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 28 July 2013 - 01:33 PM

QUOTE (theNGclan @ Sunday, Jul 28 2013, 04:32)
QUOTE (mulatto awsomeness @ Sunday, Jul 28 2013, 04:27)
QUOTE (NostalgiaIsABitch @ Sunday, Jul 28 2013, 04:22)
QUOTE (Monty Mantis @ Sunday, Jul 28 2013, 04:18)
I agree on so many levels. San Andreas was a disjointed mess filled with various B-Movie plots to keep 13 year old us occupied, but now V has a very focused goal on heists.

It won't feel like SA.

Re: your sig. Actually, Trevor says that line.

..Unless you're trying to pull off some sort of trick.

OT: Honestly SA and IV had completely different methods of storytelling that suited their games. V will be totally different too. I loved VC's story but I don't want another incarnation of that in any shape or form. Bring on the novelty.

Micheal Says That Line. Its Obviously His Voice. Trevor Sounds WAAY Different. i Know Your Trying To Be Clever But Thats Just Not Gonna Cut it.

Let's stay on topic, shall we? And please stop capitalizing every word.

Gotta love how he capitalizes every word except ''I''

Njale
  • Njale

Thug

• Members

Posted 28 July 2013 - 01:35 PM

It would have worked perfectly with each protag having his own city and surroundings, i'm worried that it will be hard to follow the story while constantly switching between the trio in GTA V. I still think it would have been better to just pick one protag and follow him till the end of his storyline then go to the next one like in Stories from LC.

Mr. Sleepy
  • Mr. Sleepy

Infamous

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 28 July 2013 - 01:41 PM

QUOTE (Deacon Bosco @ Sunday, Jul 28 2013, 15:54)

I think that now we can put a rest to the clusterf*ck of San Andreas' story. It was just a huge mistake on Rockstar's part and that was it, the game was perfectly fine I guess.

man dragon
  • man dragon

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 28 July 2013 - 01:44 PM

QUOTE (Njale @ Sunday, Jul 28 2013, 13:35)
It would have worked perfectly with each protag having his own city and surroundings, i'm worried that it will be hard to follow the story while constantly switching between the trio in GTA V. I still think it would have been better to just pick one protag and follow him till the end of his storyline then go to the next one like in Stories from LC.

If someone can follow a TV show or Film with three main/important characters with equal amounts of screentime, then why not a videogame? Audiences don't get nearly enough credit, they're a lot smarter than most film-makers/game developers give them credit for. For a good example of a film-maker doing it right, look at something like No Country For Old Men: a very straight-forward film with three main characters that don't share any screentime.

AtomicPunk
  • AtomicPunk

I'm your huckleberry

• Members

Posted 28 July 2013 - 01:49 PM

I've said it many times before; R* should hire a good writer to come in and assist Dan and the team with their writing so that it doesn't have so many plot holes. Hell, hire the director from HEAT, or maybe Robert Rodriguez. NOT *Quentin Tarantino because then GTA V would be about Franklin killing all the white people in a revenge setting(Quentin's lost his touch looong ago). As big as GTA has become, R* needs to write better quality stories, that's for sure.

Corndog93
  • Corndog93

Boss

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 28 July 2013 - 01:59 PM

QUOTE (AtomicPunk @ Monday, Jul 29 2013, 00:49)
I've said it many times before; R* should hire a good writer to come in and assist Dan and the team with their writing so that it doesn't have so many plot holes. Hell, hire the director from HEAT, or maybe Robert Rodriguez. NOT *Quentin Tarantino because then GTA V would be about Franklin killing all the white people in a revenge setting(Quentin's lost his touch looong ago). As big as GTA has become, R* needs to write better quality stories, that's for sure.

Neil Druckmann's your man for that job

RastaMentality
  • RastaMentality

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 28 July 2013 - 02:01 PM

QUOTE (AtomicPunk @ Sunday, Jul 28 2013, 13:49)

That happened in Django because it fit the storyline.

haarp
  • haarp

Mack Pimp

• BUSTED!

Posted 28 July 2013 - 02:02 PM

The story is fine, stop moaning.

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• Members
  • None
  • Most Talented Writer 2013
    Best Story/Poem 2013 "The Storm"
    Story/Poem of the Year 2011 "Justice in Flames"
    Story/Poem of the Year 2010 "City of Lies"

Posted 28 July 2013 - 02:17 PM

QUOTE (omer19992010 @ Sunday, Jul 28 2013, 04:21)
QUOTE (Innovention @ Sunday, Jul 28 2013, 04:16)
IV's story was garbage. More garbage than SA. I felt like I needed an IV to finish IV. That or a white russian.

IV's Story's was the best in the GTA Series IMO.

QFT

it's a natural progression of the series
III was mostly gun/car play, the story was good
VC the story was simplistic, and reflective of the character.
SA literally lost the plot. The game was huge and there was little effort to connect it all up, and it was quite poor tbh
I enjoyed SA but it tried too much. It compromised in certain things
Iv stripped back some of the features and focused on what it did instead
The result was a very well written story, well dveloped and memorable characters and a detailed city
Yes it lacked some of SAs features, and the Whiney little kids felt (and feel) the need to complain because the game improved on everything except jet packs and goddamned tattoos

The fact is that IV was the better story. No one can argue that - and anyone who tries IMO is a fanboy.
If we're talking of story, I don't think V will be as disjointed as San Andreas. The tru characters allow rockstar to change the story as needed - Trevor will have some zaney missions like SA, and it'll make ensemble with him. Franklin will have more stylish and 'ghetto' type ones
And Michael will have ones to suit him.
The result will be three differing but interconnected story lines, woven together to make an overall one (the heists). No random Jump from one to the other and when one character does cross that line, it'll be connected trough the other character.

Tl;dr:
SA story was pants
IV's story was great
V's will be in between...

CTCCoco
  • CTCCoco

Homie

• BUSTED!

Posted 28 July 2013 - 02:20 PM

Hopefully they don't make a sh*tty GTA IV never again.

Let's hope.

Honest Bill
  • Honest Bill

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 28 July 2013 - 02:20 PM

This is a problem in all open world games in my opinion. Either they can't keep the story focused and end up on endless digressions, or they don't know how to keep it interesting and just add as much filler as possible.

Take RDR for example. That was a much more focused story than GTAIV. But there were still some sections in the game where the story just died on it's arse in a loop of filler missions. "Oh yeah don't worry we'll tell you where Javier Escuela is in a minute, just do this one last job"

Hopefully the three protagonist angle will help with pacing. As for story focus and making sure everything's reasonably tight, hopefully Rockstar have improved at that

TrialzGTAS
  • TrialzGTAS

Hopes for turnout gear in V!

• Members

Posted 28 July 2013 - 02:54 PM

Can't really worry about Sweet because he's in jail hospital until the end if the game. Its bit until Toreno comes will you worry about him.

KonradGM
  • KonradGM

GM of himself

• Members

Posted 28 July 2013 - 02:58 PM

well you have to realise it was 2004 , if you look at gta III or vice city, you see that those stories also are misereably execited on some level, it was good back in the day, but now r* have learned a lot aobut telling a story.

KonradGM
  • KonradGM

GM of himself

• Members

Posted 28 July 2013 - 03:01 PM

what im really hoping in the story, is something with is big flaw of open world ala gta games, is when lets say ,i steal something for a guy, but it doesnt work, but my protagonist know it doesnt work cause he checked it, but when? i hate when the sanbox games tell me my protagonist did something beetwen missions, while i did not see that, but it is only implyed,

AJayG
  • AJayG

Snitch

• Members

Posted 28 July 2013 - 03:05 PM

no matter how good or bad gta's stories are I always tend to enjoy them reguardless to be honest.

TripleRob
  • TripleRob

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 28 July 2013 - 03:05 PM

I loved RDR story just because it was simple. That's how I'd expect Vs. they seemed to get better at writing the stories.

creed200569
  • creed200569

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 28 July 2013 - 03:09 PM

QUOTE (omer19992010 @ Sunday, Jul 28 2013, 04:21)
QUOTE (Innovention @ Sunday, Jul 28 2013, 04:16)
IV's story was garbage. More garbage than SA. I felt like I needed an IV to finish IV. That or a white russian.

IV's Story's was the best in the GTA Series IMO.

I agree

skillz7855
  • skillz7855

Soldier

• Members

Posted 28 July 2013 - 03:14 PM

R* never disappoints me with their stories

AtomicPunk
  • AtomicPunk

I'm your huckleberry

• Members

Posted 28 July 2013 - 03:18 PM

QUOTE (RastaMentality @ Sunday, Jul 28 2013, 10:01)
QUOTE (AtomicPunk @ Sunday, Jul 28 2013, 13:49)

That happened in Django because it fit the storyline.

What about the slaying of whites in Inglorious Basterds? Quentin does what he's told now by the Weinstien people. This is a known fact that he's their little patsy.

Anyways, I think 3 decent directors could really bring perspective to a storyline.
A director writes the main plot with Dan and the boys.
A second director writes, alongside of R*, the side stories.
Then, a third director to just add the crazy stuff and help with everything else.
If R* truly wants to level-up in the story-telling area, at some point, they're gonna have to bring in a pro or two.

DS 17
  • DS 17

om nom nom

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 28 July 2013 - 03:19 PM

I prefered SA's story more than IV's. Maybe the crossovers could have be done better in SA, like you already pointed out with SF, but besides it was an awesome story and every story part was made for its city, so there were so many missions in one city, that you came first not knowing anyting in the city, but with the story, it helped you to know everything there. It helped you identifying the playing time with the city. It introduced the city to you. In IV, it was completely different. It was always nearly the same mission. Go somewhere, kill someone, done. Play IV again and pay attention on it with an objective view. You will see it remains all the time, only a few of them were different. There wasn't a variety like it was in SA.

In V I guess it will be more based on real films like Heat and other films set in LA. That's most likely the best material they will ever get, and they can also see the reviews. If a film was successful in cinemas it's likely for them being popular by a player.

evilrex
  • evilrex

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 28 July 2013 - 03:23 PM

The RDR story was amazing. One of Rockstars best stories in my opinion. Hope we get story telling like that in V.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users