Photo

Looking Back...

39 replies to this topic
Iroquois
  • Iroquois

Playa

• Members

Posted 28 July 2013 - 02:03 AM

Note: * This is not a thread or topic about which system has the better graphics and/or if you would prefer gameplay over graphics (over vice versa) *

Now before I go on with this topic, I just have to say I love GTA for the reason that it is GTA. I loved Vice city, SA, and IV.

Who here gets that "feeling" whenever you see gameplay of a major GTA game or have been playing it for a quite a well and for some reason you look back at a video of the previous GTA installment and the graphics are just so horrible compared to it, you just want to regurgitate? Dont get me wrong, VC had extremely "beautiful and stunning" graphics...but only back then in the day.

When I obtained SA, I felt there was a major improvement from VC and didnt think it was any way possible to make the graphics better for future games and when looking back at VC, it felt like i was playing some 2D 1-bit game. Then with IV, SA felt like that and when I looked at VC then, it felt like looking at "Ping-Pong" video game they used to play on the TV 40 years ago.

Time to time, I still play GTA IV, but with the release of the V gameplay trailer, I'm getting that similar feeling again.

I dont know if I am the odd man out, but anyone else been having this weird adjustment to previous GTA's?

mulatto awsomeness
  • mulatto awsomeness

Crackhead

• BUSTED!

Posted 28 July 2013 - 02:06 AM

Xbox 360: MEN LOAD YOURR XK3S!!! PS3 :LOAD YOU P 13S!!!!!

rockstargamer4life
  • rockstargamer4life

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 28 July 2013 - 02:08 AM

Yeah, GTA V looks awesome......but in a few years , maybee sooner, it will look like sh*t.......I know what you're getting at

L0UDM0UTH
  • L0UDM0UTH

Too Handsome for this sh*t

• Members

Posted 28 July 2013 - 02:10 AM

I guess I can understand what you're feeling, but despite the improvements Rockstar have been making graphics-wise and even gameplay-wise over the years, it doesn't keep the older games from being fun to play nowadays or even completely beat them again.

GTA IV? Idk I guess I just haven't been a huge graphics guy, but GTA IV's graphics are beautiful, especially the cutscenes IMO. GTA V definitely looks superior but Rockstar still nailed GTA IV's visuals.

Iroquois
  • Iroquois

Playa

• Members

Posted 28 July 2013 - 02:14 AM

QUOTE (L0UDM0UTH @ Sunday, Jul 28 2013, 02:10)
I guess I can understand what you're feeling, but despite the improvements Rockstar have been making graphics-wise and even gameplay-wise over the years, it doesn't keep the older games from being fun to play nowadays or even completely beat them again.

GTA IV? Idk I guess I just haven't been a huge graphics guy, but GTA IV's graphics are beautiful, especially the cutscenes IMO. GTA V definitely looks superior but Rockstar still nailed GTA IV's visuals.

Yea I totally agree; I have VC installed on my phone and I can still have fun with it; they dont get boring, but like that other guy said, in a few years from now, they are gonna look like sh** <--I mean graphics-wise sad.gif

Jedi Master Tom
  • Jedi Master Tom

Be with you, the Force may

• Members

Posted 28 July 2013 - 02:16 AM Edited by Jedi Master Tom, 28 July 2013 - 02:19 AM.

Absolutely. I have played every GTA ever, and I loved them all. But when game franchises evolve, improve, and grow stronger the fan base does as well. There are people who have only played IV and its expansions, love them to death, but can't understand how the brand even got to that point because of how terrible the past games graphics were.

But you also have the hardcore fans who've been playing since the top-down days and can pick up and play any GTA at any time and have a blast. I wish I could say I was part of that group, but even though I have played every GTA, I have played them all in the order they were released. When I first played Grand Theft Auto on the PC, I was blown away by the scale and entertainment that such a game could deliver. When the III era was released, I couldn't believe I use to play from a top down perspective. Driving down sidewalks and seeing pedestrians fly into the air (completely in 3D) was probably the greatest experience of my gaming career.

Now, having played IV and its expansions for the past 5 years, I can't even play SA and have a good time anymore because not only are the graphics so out-dated, but even the gameplay mechanics seem barbaric to me. The IV era raised the bar so high for open world crime games, I can't even imagine how V will top it. But I know it will...

mulatto awsomeness
  • mulatto awsomeness

Crackhead

• BUSTED!

Posted 28 July 2013 - 02:19 AM

I See A Console War Starting Soon.

MikeyB
  • MikeyB

Floppy Member

• Members

Posted 28 July 2013 - 02:28 AM

I remember being blown away by GTA III and VC on the PC

When SA came out it was in another league graphics wise.

I had IV in the 360 and that was better still I thought.

Now I have played SA again in the last 12 months and although the graphics are the same as they used to be, I feel that they are now crap compared to IV. So much so that I cannot be bothered to play it.

V looks nicer than IV but I don't think at the moment that after 12 months of playing V that IV would look terrible in comparison. Maybe I am wrong and it will look bad like all the other previous versions.

Only time will tell.

Meezarawcks
  • Meezarawcks

You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of the world.

• Members

Posted 28 July 2013 - 02:29 AM

IT just has to do with the evolution of technology. As time goes by the tech gets better and R* is able to create some amazing things. We didn't even know something like the RAGE engine would exist when playing SA. Time went on and here we are seeing something as awesome as V.

The true test that all previous GTA's have passed is that they are still fun to play and have left an indelible memory in the majority of GTA fans.

wwinterj
  • wwinterj

Boss

• Members

Posted 28 July 2013 - 02:29 AM

Older games always look worse then newer games. One day games like Red Dead Redemption and GTA V will look like ass. wow.gif

TotesMagotes
  • TotesMagotes

Totes Magotes

• Members

Posted 28 July 2013 - 02:37 AM

You didn't think it would be possible to have graphics any better than SA ? Lol. Sure it was the best back then, but anyone with a brain knew that graphics would continue to improve in the video game industry.

When a new game comes out, it's just that.*NEW*. So it's going to be the sh*t to anyone who buys it new. It's just common sense, of course older games are going to look worse when it comes to graphics when a newer game comes out. Especially when you're comparing a previous generation game to a present gen game.

ill-thoughts
  • ill-thoughts

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 28 July 2013 - 02:54 AM

i played GTA:SA earlier this year and it still looked great on regular xbox.

kastrenzo
  • kastrenzo

Hustler

• Members

Posted 28 July 2013 - 04:34 AM

V is an improvement of IV, But it's nothing spectacular. Great for it's genre though

GTA V uses high levels of area LOD rendering, Low res textures, filters and contrast to hide the primitive nature of visuals on gen7 platforms.

Diesleman
  • Diesleman

Homie

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 28 July 2013 - 04:40 AM

Playing Sa ATM and its awesome, the visuals don't concern me one bit. It didn't ten years ago so why would it now? Play station btw, not PC.

spike88
  • spike88

Big Boss

• Members

Posted 28 July 2013 - 07:16 AM

I'm playing IV again, and despite thinking it looked amazing, all I see now is the horrible AA, compared to the V videos.

Moonwalker98
  • Moonwalker98

Jerichoholic

• Members

Posted 28 July 2013 - 07:47 AM

How far can graphics go now? We're gonna get an improvement from 5, but after that I don't know where it could go.

Dope_0110
  • Dope_0110

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 28 July 2013 - 08:32 AM

I'm just replaying Vice City and I enjoy it. You know why? Because I don't give a sh*t about it's graphics, I still look at it the same why I did when I first played it back in 2002.

_johngotdoe
  • _johngotdoe

Rat

• Members

Posted 28 July 2013 - 06:03 PM

I just want R* to remake Vice City & San Andreas with current gen graphics & the rage engine

Sharks80fr
  • Sharks80fr

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 28 July 2013 - 06:08 PM

QUOTE (Dope_0110 @ Sunday, Jul 28 2013, 08:32)
I'm just replaying Vice City and I enjoy it. You know why? Because I don't give a sh*t about it's graphics, I still look at it the same why I did when I first played it back in 2002.

Yeah me too but I think it's because you played the game younger, i'm still playing San Andreas and many older games i liked when i was young and i think you still love the game because it brings back souvenirs but when I play an old game i never played before like Manhunt, I'm playing like 10 min and I stop

that's a lot of " play " in one sentence lol

haarp
  • haarp

Mack Pimp

• BUSTED!

Posted 28 July 2013 - 06:11 PM

PC graphics are just way better than console

RichyB
  • RichyB

Crush grapes mate. Sorry? You're a grape crusher. Next.

• Members

Posted 28 July 2013 - 06:17 PM

QUOTE (_johngotdoe @ Sunday, Jul 28 2013, 18:03)
I just want R* to remake Vice City & San Andreas with current gen graphics & the rage engine

Well there already is an SA ICE/RAGE mod, so go download it.

favx
  • favx

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 28 July 2013 - 06:30 PM

QUOTE (haarp @ Sunday, Jul 28 2013, 20:11)
PC graphics are just way better than console

Troll detected ...

Kalerney
  • Kalerney

Ibanez Player

• Members
  • France

Posted 28 July 2013 - 06:43 PM

Always thought that VC looks much better than SA even back in 2004.
The biggest problem in SA was the awfull draw distance, and the clipping and the textures ... Anyway it was already ugly, but I don't give a sh*t and I'm still playing it now (was playing it 1 hour ago), it's the best game ever in my opinion.

GTA IV well ... on my first TV (a very old one) it looked great but on my last tv (a modern Samsung one) it looks horrible, it's weird.

GTA Vice City looks very nice (except character) and in my opinion graphics (especially lights works and draw disctance) are way much better on VC than on SA.

V graphics look nice, not as stunning as RDR I think but great and certainly a bit better than IV graphics.

DaRkL3AD3R
  • DaRkL3AD3R

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 28 July 2013 - 06:57 PM

QUOTE (Iroquois @ Sunday, Jul 28 2013, 02:03)
When I obtained SA, I felt there was a major improvement from VC and didnt think it was any way possible to make the graphics better for future games

This right here, I fear, will finally reach a peak and we will be disappointed. Next gen games, I believe, will not look significantly better than current gen games. What you may get is true 1080p (finally consoles, sheesh) and maaaybe 60 frames per second in most games. However don't expect graphical technology leaps like from the Xbox to the Xbox 360. It just won't happen again. Rasterized graphics are reaching a point where there's not a lot of tricks left to increase "graphics" without going overboard and doing impossible things. All that's left now is to continue making faster hardware until the day when real time ray tracing games are a possibility.

Don't expect "GTA 6" to look leaps and bounds better than GTA 5.

Mr. Sleepy
  • Mr. Sleepy

Infamous

• Members
  • Uganda

Posted 28 July 2013 - 07:05 PM

QUOTE (DaRkL3AD3R @ Sunday, Jul 28 2013, 21:57)
QUOTE (Iroquois @ Sunday, Jul 28 2013, 02:03)
When I obtained SA, I felt there was a major improvement from VC and didnt think it was any way possible to make the graphics better for future games

This right here, I fear, will finally reach a peak and we will be disappointed. Next gen games, I believe, will not look significantly better than current gen games. What you may get is true 1080p (finally consoles, sheesh) and maaaybe 60 frames per second in most games. However don't expect graphical technology leaps like from the Xbox to the Xbox 360. It just won't happen again. Rasterized graphics are reaching a point where there's not a lot of tricks left to increase "graphics" without going overboard and doing impossible things. All that's left now is to continue making faster hardware until the day when real time ray tracing games are a possibility.

Don't expect "GTA 6" to look leaps and bounds better than GTA 5.

I'll expect GTA 6 to look like "The Division" or something alike.

Skozza89
  • Skozza89

Peon

• Members

Posted 28 July 2013 - 07:08 PM

Play this years Tomb Raider n then go n play the first one, The graphics difference is incredible lol

NikoBellic1993
  • NikoBellic1993

Peon

• Members

Posted 28 July 2013 - 07:19 PM

QUOTE (kastrenzo @ Sunday, Jul 28 2013, 04:34)
V is an improvement of IV, But it's nothing spectacular. Great for it's genre though

GTA V uses high levels of area LOD rendering, Low res textures,  filters and contrast to hide the primitive nature of visuals on gen7 platforms.

Ugh, i knew some pc fanboy had to come ruining the thread spewing the same repetitive sh*t about the "outdated garbage boxes". angry.gif

Dope_0110
  • Dope_0110

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 28 July 2013 - 07:26 PM

QUOTE (Sharks80fr @ Sunday, Jul 28 2013, 18:08)
QUOTE (Dope_0110 @ Sunday, Jul 28 2013, 08:32)

Yeah me too but I think it's because you played the game younger, i'm still playing San Andreas and many older games i liked when i was young and i think you still love the game because it brings back souvenirs but when I play an old game i never played before like Manhunt, I'm playing like 10 min and I stop

that's a lot of " play " in one sentence lol

Yeah, that is certainly one of, if not the biggest reason. Especially for people who have started playing with IV, very few of them can really adjust to SA or VC and III. But since I played VC when it came out, I never expect anything more from it, I just like it the way it is. I never even used any graphic mods.

MintBerryCrunch
  • MintBerryCrunch

It's meeeeeee!

• Members

Posted 28 July 2013 - 07:56 PM

The thing with the GTA series is we've all come to expect leaps in graphics quality so naturally all the past ones are gonna look inferior.

But good graphics doesn't equal better gameplay. Take GTA IV for example. I really did not like that game and basically played several missions before leaving it to collect dust. The gameplay just didn't do it it for me. I really disliked the main protagonist, the depressing feel of the brown foggy environment, the claustrophobic city, the driving physics, the dull missions and the constant annoying NPCs who kept phoning you up. It's nowhere near as much fun to play as Vice City was or San Andreas. They might have had inferior graphics to IV but the fun factor was there and the characters and atmosphere felt bright and vivid

GTA V looks like it's addressed every issue I had with GTA IV. Even if the graphics were low-tech I'd still pre-order it because it just looks like a super fun game to play with a fantastic story and that's what matters the most to me.

Řåvęń
  • Řåvęń

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 28 July 2013 - 08:15 PM

Feel the same. After IV, even it had less content than SA had impressed me. The detail, immersion and story had got me. Played SA after years, it surely is huge steps behind IV but in terms of content more. V will combine the things from IV and the content of SA which will not let me touch IV for years.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users