Photo

Playing SA to get a taste of Los Santos

30 replies to this topic
DaRkL3AD3R
  • DaRkL3AD3R

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 27 July 2013 - 09:33 PM

As per the title, I'm trying to play through San Andreas to experience the setting of Los Santos, so when I pickup V I will have a better appreciation for the HD version of the city and countryside. Yeah, I skipped SA over the years, so I figured better late than never. After battling with my Steam version of the game and trying to get my PS3 controller working on it, I finally have my controls working perfectly. I originally played with KB and Mouse and gunplay was great, constant free aim with pin-point accuracy was amazing for headshots and surviving in combat, but now with the controller the only way to reasonably play is with the stupid console lock on mechanics. This pretty much means headshots are out of the question and I find that I die CONSTANTLY. It's been a test of my patience and to see how much rage I can handle before I quit.

Any suggestions on combat to help me make it through this clunker? The gunplay is just so awful on the controller but after doing missions like Zero's RC planes etc, I cannot handle the keyboard controls. Hopefully some of you SA vets can give me some tips because I am at witt's end in dealing with this game.

Crimewave
  • Crimewave

Rat

• Members

Posted 27 July 2013 - 09:36 PM

I personally don't think so. I'm better off with Vice City for any chance of a real kind of beach/ cali vibe. Just doesn't resonate with me anymore.

Crimewave
  • Crimewave

Rat

• Members

Posted 27 July 2013 - 09:38 PM

Oh sh*t I'm sorry I only read the Title, don't know how to help you pal.

Lazyboy.
  • Lazyboy.

could you PLEASE stop using that f*cking blue font?!

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 27 July 2013 - 09:39 PM

ALWAYS crouch. Always. Crouch and take cover all the time, when you get an SMG and then assault rifles, the combat becomes easier.

d3ex2
  • d3ex2

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 27 July 2013 - 09:41 PM

I tried playing San Andreas again but I just can't get into it anymore. It is an amazing game you can't deny that but it's time is up (at least for me). The graphics/physics/mechanics are just so dated now.

Personally I'd suggest just playing IV or EFLC. It's not Los Santos/San Andreas but you'll be able to get into it easier as it looks better and physics are miles better. I'm not the biggest IV fan out there but That's why I'm playing it. V will be so much better. So until 17th September I'm gonna be playing IV and it will make V a lot better. Better graphics/performance/better physics/mechanics, more things to do, bigger map, less annoying things to put up with etc.

Andreas
  • Andreas

GTAV Forum Leader

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Austria
  • Best Avatar 2013
    Best New Member 2012
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 27 July 2013 - 09:44 PM

I have played San Andreas numerous times on PlayStation 2 and on PC (it has been over a year since the last time), and I can tell you the latter one is clearly better, alone due the fact that the game handles better with keyboard and mouse, in my opinion. If you're not a PC gamer, then it may take some time to get used to, but if you have enough experience, it's a lot better. But at the end of the day, it's your decision. And LazyboyEight is spot on. If you crouch and take cover the whole time, then combats are easier. You should try that!

Dope_0110
  • Dope_0110

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 27 July 2013 - 09:53 PM

Why would you ever play a game like GTA with a controller when you have kexboard and mouse to do the job perfectly. Controller is good to have on the side for driving and sports games, but when you need accuracy it just makes no damn sense.

Bellb0y88
  • Bellb0y88

anti wannabe thug!

• Members

Posted 27 July 2013 - 10:07 PM

Just the new screenshots alone kinda made gta sa feel generic!

Rogue Character
  • Rogue Character

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 27 July 2013 - 11:13 PM

Cheat codes maybe?

redx165
  • redx165

Making the GTA fanboys dance

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 27 July 2013 - 11:15 PM

I say go back to the mouse and key board. That's something GTA never did right was good aiming system for consoles.

Lone_Spirit
  • Lone_Spirit

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 28 July 2013 - 04:35 AM

Since you're readying up for V, I would suggest you try to play Max Payne 3 a bit with a controller to get a feelfor the sshooting to come. I can assure headshots are not impossible and the controls are smooth. And tohhelp with your SA situation, I ccan't sorry I was pretty young when that came out so I was hard lock kid. All free aim now tho. tounge.gif

Sorry for all the grammar mistakes damn android.

Nem Wan
  • Nem Wan

The Artist Formerly Known As Magic_Al

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 28 July 2013 - 04:58 AM

If you find the game mechanics of SA intolerable then don't play through it, but instead download and play someone else's 100% complete SA save file (be sure to download the correct file version for the Steam version of SA). Then you can explore the map, play the minigames, listen to the music, take pictures with the in-game camera, try different clothes and tattoos, mod vehicles, do all the "atmosphere" stuff, without committing too much time and frustration to it. A complete save will usually feature all the gang wars won, so you won't have to deal with enemy gangs much.

PHOENIXZERO
  • PHOENIXZERO

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 28 July 2013 - 05:29 AM

When I played GTA on my PC I always alternated between using a controller for in vehicle stuff and switched to KB/M when on foot.

flyus747
  • flyus747

Rat

• Members

Posted 28 July 2013 - 07:06 AM

QUOTE (PHOENIXZERO @ Sunday, Jul 28 2013, 15:29)
When I played GTA on my PC I always alternated between using a controller for in vehicle stuff and switched to KB/M when on foot.

Man even when I first played GTA SA, the physics were so disturbing. I especially hated when you crashed into a lam post and the car would like stop so much and ruined the realism feel but I guess R* wasn't going for realism in SA cus there clearly wasn't any. GTA IV improved the physics so much and to this day, the physics of the whole world and the objects impress me.

GeckIXProductions
  • GeckIXProductions

IX

• Members

Posted 28 July 2013 - 07:40 AM

I brought San Andreas, but yesterday I threw my controller across the room while trying to pass the "Wrong side of the tracks" mission.

I think I needto stop playing. dontgetit.gif

lucid121
  • lucid121

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 28 July 2013 - 07:45 AM

QUOTE (GeckIXProductions @ Sunday, Jul 28 2013, 10:40)
I brought San Andreas, but yesterday I threw my controller across the room while trying to pass the "Wrong side of the tracks" mission.

You do know you can climb on the train?

ill-thoughts
  • ill-thoughts

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 28 July 2013 - 07:48 AM

San Andreas is a Masterpiece imo and still looks good to this day. i rebooted it on my regular xbox earlier this year and its still a Fantastic game that depicts LA and Vegas really well. i didnt care much for the missions, i was just into the Turf Wars, customizing my cars and stocking up on guns. you could literally enjoy that game and Never leave Los Santos.

Wunderkind
  • Wunderkind

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 28 July 2013 - 07:55 AM

I just went back to playing gta san andreas online with SA-MP. The right server can have you playing hours on end without reason. I've been playing on the server "Crazy bobs cops n robbers". Imagine the gta you know and love except it's online with up to 200 people plus an endless amount of new rpg components. Trust me, if you're trying to re-explore san andreas this is the way to go. You're welcome biggrin.gif

Ferocious Banger
  • Ferocious Banger

Big Homie

• Members
  • India

Posted 28 July 2013 - 08:02 AM

QUOTE (GeckIXProductions @ Sunday, Jul 28 2013, 13:10)

"All you had to do was shoot the damn Vagos, fat Smoke"

felixuta
  • felixuta

The Real Deal yo!

• Members

Posted 28 July 2013 - 08:27 AM

QUOTE (GeckIXProductions @ Sunday, Jul 28 2013, 07:40)

I know. You can get quite angry while playing SA, I wrecked 2 original PS2 controllers....

truthful
  • truthful

The truthful

• Members

Posted 28 July 2013 - 08:31 AM

I've been replaying it - and I got pretty damn far...unlocked all three cities.

The game is very FRUSTRATING. More difficult than IV. Why? Because of:

- no 'real' fast travel, other than the airports
- if you fail missions, which you will, there's no handy cell phone to automatically re-initiate
- the map is almost too big, and getting around is a pain, refer to first two points. lots of missions take you far out into the countryside, and if you fail the mission, you have to go alll the way out again.
- the targeting is rubbish. its very haphazard.
- the car physics are non-existant... you can slam into a wall at 70mph , not a dent in the hood would be seen
- the story gets a little....convoluted. characters just come out of nowhere
- WHY PUT LADDERS IN THE GAME AT SPOTS WHERE THEY LOOK LIKE THEY CAN BE CLIMBED, BUT THEY CAN'T BE!!
- CJ can't shimmy! d'oh!..
- running people over is...not accurate.

keep in mind though, I'm re-reviewing a 6 year old game..SA is and still is a great game, but its aged pretty bad. the technicalities of IV are leaps and bounds ahead...IV dislikers should play both and weigh the two.

DaRkL3AD3R
  • DaRkL3AD3R

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 28 July 2013 - 06:51 PM

Appreciate all the suggestions guys. Personally I really do enjoy the game and the setting. Graphics are quite aged but tolerable. Like I said the one issue I'm having is the combat, it's god awful. Unless you memorized where enemies pop out at you from around corners, you pretty much lose half your health/armor in a split second and too much of that = dead. I won't even get started on the lack of autosaving which means you have to drive all the way back to your safehouse after every freaking mission just incase the next mission is retarded hard and causes you to die, losing all your weapons.

Oh well. I'm pushing through it. If I find combat still too hard I'll just do as one user suggested and switch between controller for driving, and keyboard/mouse for shooting.

haarp
  • haarp

Mack Pimp

• BUSTED!

Posted 28 July 2013 - 06:57 PM

QUOTE (truthful @ Sunday, Jul 28 2013, 08:31)
I've been replaying it - and I got pretty damn far...unlocked all three cities.

The game is very FRUSTRATING. More difficult than IV. Why? Because of:

- no 'real' fast travel, other than the airports
- if you fail missions, which you will, there's no handy cell phone to automatically re-initiate
- the map is almost too big, and getting around is a pain, refer to first two points. lots of missions take you far out into the countryside, and if you fail the mission, you have to go alll the way out again.
- the targeting is rubbish. its very haphazard.
- the car physics are non-existant... you can slam into a wall at 70mph , not a dent in the hood would be seen
- the story gets a little....convoluted. characters just come out of nowhere
- WHY PUT LADDERS IN THE GAME AT SPOTS WHERE THEY LOOK LIKE THEY CAN BE CLIMBED, BUT THEY CAN'T BE!!
- CJ can't shimmy! d'oh!..
- running people over is...not accurate.

keep in mind though, I'm re-reviewing a 6 year old game..SA is and still is a great game, but its aged pretty bad. the technicalities of IV are leaps and bounds ahead...IV dislikers should play both and weigh the two.

You're reviewing a 9 year old game nearly 10 and it just goes to show, the amount of bitching IV receives there's little praise over the improvements it's made to the series. I remember doing those countryside missions, would piss the f*ck out of me having to drive all the way back to the city then back into the country.

Mega_Byte
  • Mega_Byte

Snitch

• Members

Posted 29 July 2013 - 06:58 AM

QUOTE (d3ex2 @ Saturday, Jul 27 2013, 17:41)
I tried playing San Andreas again but I just can't get into it anymore. It is an amazing game you can't deny that but it's time is up (at least for me). The graphics/physics/mechanics are just so dated now.

Personally I'd suggest just playing IV or EFLC. It's not Los Santos/San Andreas but you'll be able to get into it easier as it looks better and physics are miles better. I'm not the biggest IV fan out there but That's why I'm playing it. V will be so much better. So until 17th September I'm gonna be playing IV and it will make V a lot better. Better graphics/performance/better physics/mechanics, more things to do, bigger map, less annoying things to put up with etc.

Yeah, I agree with this guy. I loved San Andreas. Absolutely loved it. It was the best game I had ever played since Super Mario Bros 1 twenty years ago. And I still think it's the best GTA game that's been released. But it too is outdated. And it would not put me in the mood for GTA V.

In fact, I'd rather play Super Mario Bros 1 for that vintage nostalgia that would show me how far gaming has come. If you're jonesing for V, I'd suggest putting in IV if you can deal with the drudgery of its singleplayer campaign/world. I would do the same, but I just can't bring myself to dealing with the atrocity of its sounds, settings, side quests, and slow maneuverability.

This pretty much means headshots are out of the question and I find that I die CONSTANTLY. It's been a test of my patience and to see how much rage I can handle before I quit.

You should not be dying constantly in GTA SA. Do you stock up on body armor before big gun battles? Have you leveled up with your weapons? Have you tried assault rifles? Seriously, man, you should not be dying constantly in San Andreas. Especially since it automatically locks onto all of your targets. Just hold the lock on button, shoot & kill, then scroll to the next bad guy and let him/her have it. Just try that and I think you'll be fine.

truthful
  • truthful

The truthful

• Members

Posted 29 July 2013 - 07:31 AM

QUOTE (Mega_Byte @ Monday, Jul 29 2013, 06:58)
QUOTE (d3ex2 @ Saturday, Jul 27 2013, 17:41)

Yeah, I agree with this guy. I loved San Andreas. Absolutely loved it. It was the best game I had ever played since Super Mario Bros 1 twenty years ago. And I still think it's the best GTA game that's been released. But it too is outdated. And it would not put me in the mood for GTA V.

In fact, I'd rather play Super Mario Bros 1 for that vintage nostalgia that would show me how far gaming has come. If you're jonesing for V, I'd suggest putting in IV if you can deal with the drudgery of its singleplayer campaign/world. I would do the same, but I just can't bring myself to dealing with the atrocity of its sounds, settings, side quests, and slow maneuverability.

This pretty much means headshots are out of the question and I find that I die CONSTANTLY. It's been a test of my patience and to see how much rage I can handle before I quit.

You should not be dying constantly in GTA SA. Do you stock up on body armor before big gun battles? Have you leveled up with your weapons? Have you tried assault rifles? Seriously, man, you should not be dying constantly in San Andreas. Especially since it automatically locks onto all of your targets. Just hold the lock on button, shoot & kill, then scroll to the next bad guy and let him/her have it. Just try that and I think you'll be fine.

This is really nitpicky, but I don't believe that there are any female targets you have to off in SA.

But more on topic, the dying in the game is much more frustrating than that of IV, since you lose all your weps. REALLY annoying, since buying them is really cumbersome, they should have streamlined it more.

kb8618
  • kb8618

"I'll swing by and sign the contracts, alright? Just ig

• Members

Posted 29 July 2013 - 07:42 AM

I tried playing SA last month, couldn't look at the old graphics so stopped after 5 min. Finally played EFLC instead after having bought it almost 3 years ago

Diesleman
  • Diesleman

Try to be Brown.

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 29 July 2013 - 07:42 AM

QUOTE (DaRkL3AD3R @ Saturday, Jul 27 2013, 21:33)
As per the title, I'm trying to play through San Andreas to experience the setting of Los Santos, so when I pickup V I will have a better appreciation for the HD version of the city and countryside. Yeah, I skipped SA over the years, so I figured better late than never. After battling with my Steam version of the game and trying to get my PS3 controller working on it, I finally have my controls working perfectly. I originally played with KB and Mouse and gunplay was great, constant free aim with pin-point accuracy was amazing for headshots and surviving in combat, but now with the controller the only way to reasonably play is with the stupid console lock on mechanics. This pretty much means headshots are out of the question and I find that I die CONSTANTLY. It's been a test of my patience and to see how much rage I can handle before I quit.

Any suggestions on combat to help me make it through this clunker? The gunplay is just so awful on the controller but after doing missions like Zero's RC planes etc, I cannot handle the keyboard controls. Hopefully some of you SA vets can give me some tips because I am at witt's end in dealing with this game.

Practice, I'm doing the same as you ATM and the free aim isn't that bad on playstation control once your used to it, though some hard lock is required. But yeah, it does require practice

Oh, and to you people who 'can't play the game, can't get passed bad graphics' you guys suck, and are what's wrong with the industry.

Mr. Sleepy
  • Mr. Sleepy

Infamous

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:09 AM

QUOTE (d3ex2 @ Sunday, Jul 28 2013, 00:41)

I thought you hated PC players because they care about graphics.

Johan
  • Johan

• The Yardies
  • Dominican-Republic

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:18 AM

It's not really worth doing that but if in the near future you ever feel the need to beat it go ahead, for now I suggest you play Vice City to get the vibe of V even though it's not in the same state, the beach.. neon lights, the planning heists missions, assets + missions for them are good enough to give you a small taste of things to come.

Or you can just use cheats on San Andreas if it's that big of a bummer for you

jamieleng
  • jamieleng

Chafing the Chimp is totally natural behaviour!

• Members
  • England

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:26 AM

If you're trying to get a vibe for V, then I suggest replaying IV, RDR & MP3. However, you should complete SA, just because it is a landmark in gaming. Hell, if I can complete Vice City using my phone's touchscreen, then you should be able to finish SA using a controller.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users