Quantcast

» «
Photo

Running GTA 4 in Windows 8 (Getting Fustrated)

12 replies to this topic
Ravens2705
  • Ravens2705

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 27 July 2013 - 08:56 PM

Ok so from what I've been reading this is a pretty common issue. I recently downloaded GTA 4 from the steam summer sale. I am running a windows 8 pro ultrabook (I don't think its a graphics/power issue, because I also downloaded Fallout New Vegas and the graphics look great, comparable to a 360 almost and the game works fine). I started the game and I get to the start screen. I have been reading all the Games For Windows issues and fixed that. My problem lies after that. I sign into GFWL and everything then hit Play. The game sits on the loading screen cycling through all the characters and playing the GTA music in the background and doesn't continue. It just keeps cycling through. Is there a solution to this?

radioman
  • radioman

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 27 July 2013 - 09:04 PM

First, You left out A LOT of information that is helpful in determining a solution to your problem, and they are:

What is your Processor?
What is the Processor Speed?
What is the Video card?
What is the Total Vram?
What is the Dedicated vram?
Any Daemon tools or the like installed on PC?-These can cause problems with games..

**To find above info, go to Start, Run(if XP)/Search(If Vista, 7, or 8) and type in DXDIAG and press Enter, the first page is the OS, Ram, Processor information and the Display tab is the Video card information..*

Ravens2705
  • Ravens2705

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 27 July 2013 - 09:29 PM Edited by Ravens2705, 27 July 2013 - 09:32 PM.

Sorry about that, heres everything-

http://i693.photobuc...522086/Info.png

http://i693.photobuc...22086/Info2.png

I wouldn't think power would be an issue? Isnt New Vegas more graphics intensive than GTA 4?

I also have 3.89 GB of usable RAM (4 GB total)

miromiro
  • miromiro

Time Killa™

• Zaibatsu
  • None
  • GTANet Contribution Award [Newbie Guide]
    Most Improved 2010

Posted 27 July 2013 - 09:52 PM

I'm not sure how Ultrabooks work, but you should be able to install patches and updates, right?
Well, if yes, make sure you've got the Games for Windows Live Marketplace / Games for Windows Live Update installed. Also, in case that itself doesn't help, in the Steam Library right click on the game, hit Properties, then click set launch options. Then, in the box type in "-norestrictions" (without the quotes).

Lastly, you could try to run the game in Windows 2000 Compatibility mode or any other Compatibility mode, or try to run it as administrator. Even installing the GTA IV Patch 1.0.7.0 could be of help. icon14.gif

Ravens2705
  • Ravens2705

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 27 July 2013 - 10:06 PM

QUOTE (miromiro @ Saturday, Jul 27 2013, 21:52)
I'm not sure how Ultrabooks work, but you should be able to install patches and updates, right?
Well, if yes, make sure you've got the Games for Windows Live Marketplace / Games for Windows Live Update installed. Also, in case that itself doesn't help, in the Steam Library right click on the game, hit Properties, then click set launch options. Then, in the box type in "-norestrictions" (without the quotes).

Lastly, you could try to run the game in Windows 2000 Compatibility mode or any other Compatibility mode, or try to run it as administrator. Even installing the GTA IV Patch 1.0.7.0 could be of help. icon14.gif

When I type in the norestrictions thing, do I include the hyphen ( - )?

But yeah, an Ultrabook is a PC, from what I know its optimized for faster quicker processing. Games aren't supposed to run as well on ultrabooks compared to regular Pcs, but from my experience I haven't had issues running games, just seems like GTA 4 is giving me a fit so far...

Also, what folder do I put the patch file in?

miromiro
  • miromiro

Time Killa™

• Zaibatsu
  • None
    Most Improved 2010

Posted 27 July 2013 - 10:08 PM

Yes, that hyphen "-" also needs to be included. Also make sure to try the other solution if that one particularly doesn't work. Or at least tell us which worked and which didn't. Good luck!

Nevermind the Patch, I just realized that the Steam version is already patched. Sorry for that.

radioman
  • radioman

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 28 July 2013 - 09:29 AM

From the Specs you posted, your Video card is below minimum for the game, as it is Integrated, which has VRAM that is shared with the System Ram..Besides that, I have yet to see an Intel card(especially laptop ones) have more than 128MB of Dedicated Vram(what games use). Here are the Minimum specs to prove it:
Minimum System Requirements
Windows Vista - Service Pack 1 / XP - Service Pack 3
1.8GHz Intel Core2Duo or 2.4GHz AMD Athlon X2 64
1 GB of RAM (Windows XP) or 1.5 GB of RAM (Windows Vista)
16 GB free hard drive space
256MB NVIDIA 7900 / 256MB ATI X1900

Also note that your processor speed of 1.8GHZ is at bare minimum for the game, as noted in above quote. What makes it worse on your PC is the fact that it is a laptop, as laptops processors and video cards are lower power than their desktop counterparts. You are lucky the game even starts with an Intel card, as even on my XP Pro machine with an Intel Core 2 Duo and Intel card will not even start the game.

Ravens2705
  • Ravens2705

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 28 July 2013 - 12:27 PM

QUOTE (radioman @ Sunday, Jul 28 2013, 09:29)
From the Specs you posted, your Video card is below minimum for the game, as it is Integrated, which has VRAM that is shared with the System Ram..Besides that, I have yet to see an Intel card(especially laptop ones) have more than 128MB of Dedicated Vram(what games use). Here are the Minimum specs to prove it:
Minimum System Requirements
Windows Vista - Service Pack 1 / XP - Service Pack 3
1.8GHz Intel Core2Duo or 2.4GHz AMD Athlon X2 64
1 GB of RAM (Windows XP) or 1.5 GB of RAM (Windows Vista)
16 GB free hard drive space
256MB NVIDIA 7900 / 256MB ATI X1900

Also note that your processor speed of 1.8GHZ is at bare minimum for the game, as noted in above quote. What makes it worse on your PC is the fact that it is a laptop, as laptops processors and video cards are lower power than their desktop counterparts. You are lucky the game even starts with an Intel card, as even on my XP Pro machine with an Intel Core 2 Duo and Intel card will not even start the game.

Yet heres the thing, this is the requirements for Fallout New Vegas-

Processor: Dual Core 2.0GHz
Memory: 2GB RAM
Hard Disk Space: 10GB free space
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 6 series, ATI 1300XT series

So given those requirements (I don't have 2.0GHz for processor, and its more Ram) why does Fallout New Vegas work perfectly fine and GTA 4 doesn't? I don't get why one game with basically the same requirements would work over another...

Ravens2705
  • Ravens2705

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 28 July 2013 - 12:37 PM Edited by Ravens2705, 28 July 2013 - 01:00 PM.

QUOTE (miromiro @ Saturday, Jul 27 2013, 21:52)

I don't have 2000 compat mode so I tried Windows 7 and Windows XP SP 3, now I get a message saying "SecuLauncher: Failed to start application [2000]"...

Ill also state that I can run the Sims3 and AutoCAD (which I think is very graphics intensive) on my laptop with no issues....

miromiro
  • miromiro

Time Killa™

• Zaibatsu
  • None
    Most Improved 2010

Posted 28 July 2013 - 06:48 PM

Have you tried running the LaunchGTAIV.exe as administrator?
Try to install this: Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 SP1 Redistributable (in case the first two solutions don't help). As a last solution, install the VC++ libraries from the game disk. The file should be called vc_setup.exe in the Redistributables folder.

radioman
  • radioman

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 28 July 2013 - 08:18 PM

Yet heres the thing, this is the requirements for Fallout New Vegas-

You can't really compare this game to others(especially ones that are put out by a different company), as this game is unoptimized as compared to the rest of the GTA's(III to SA), which is why it needs higher specs to run. Also, this game weighs heavily on the processor as well.

But, like I said above, you have a Dual Core processor(just like my XP Pro PC)-except yours is only 1.8GHZ and mine is 2.0 GHZ and you have an Intel Video card(just like I do on my XP machine) and yet this game WILL NOT even start on it, and since XP is suppose to be less resource useage as compared to later OS's(Vista to 8), I doubt it would run on Windows 8? confused.gif

Ravens2705
  • Ravens2705

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 28 July 2013 - 09:34 PM

I'll keep trying at it, I just deleted all the files and am re-installing it in case one of the files got corrupted or something (doesn't hurt I guess). I saw something on you tube someone was doing that I may try. He lowered all the graphics settings and such once he got into the game. So if I don't have any issue starting the game, only getting past play, I may lower all the settings and see if that works.

Worse comes to worse I can always trade away the game on steam for another game (if that's possible, I think you can trade games?). I only paid 5.00 for it, so its not that bad...

CCPD
  • CCPD

Boss

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 July 2013 - 11:51 PM

You can only trade GIFT games on Steam. If the game is in your library, you stuck with it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users