144 replies to this topic
sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Faceless, Nameless, Endless War

• United-Kingdom
  • Contribution Award [D&D, General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted 04 August 2013 - 09:59 PM Edited by sivispacem, 04 August 2013 - 10:08 PM.

QUOTE (GrandMaster Smith @ Sunday, Aug 4 2013, 22:49)
Mr. Novozhilov simply doesn't believe it it to be a transcendent creator because he would find it odd the creator uses similar logic as it's creations.. Wouldn't you expect creations to be similar to their creators..? I think you're missing the entire point, and that is that DNA and overall life's existence was intentional, it's the result of design which is what the entire article is about.

Now you're questioning the logic and rationality of your own sources? Either they're merit-worthy or they aren't. You can't say "oh, yes, this is wonderful piece of work that disproves everything you say, if you accept a conclusion completely separate from the one actually reached in the study", can you? You're picking and choosing what bits of your own evidence you want to listen to. Either accept it all, along with the assessments of an individual far more versed to speak on the subject than yourself, or dismiss the whole lot.

Okay, then name one single natural process that is capable of interpreting symbols as a message.

Again, you insist on creating these f*cking absurd straw man arguments. Just because I can't personally provide an objective answer to one of your questions- a question your primary source acknowledges the incomplete nature of answers in regard to, I may add- does not mean that the general hypothesis behind my response is null and void. Seriously, it's like trying to explain quantum physics to a toddler.

GrandMaster Smith
  • GrandMaster Smith

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 August 2013 - 10:08 PM

QUOTE (sivispacem)
Mr. Novozhilov simply doesn't believe it it to be a transcendent creator because he would find it odd the creator uses similar logic as it's creations.. Wouldn't you expect creations to be similar to their creators..? I think you're missing the entire point, and that is that DNA and overall life's existence was intentional, it's the result of design which is what the entire article is about.

Now you're questioning the logic and rationality of your own sources? Either they're merit-worthy or they aren't. You can't say "oh, yes, this is wonderful piece of work that disproves everything you say, if you accept a conclusion completely separate from the one actually reached in the study", can you? You're picking and choosing what bits of your own evidence you want to listen to. Either accept it all, along with the assessments of an individual far more versed to speak on the subject than yourself, or dismiss the whole lot.

You do realize that the part I'm disagreeing with is his personal opinion, not the actual science discussed in the peer reviewed article, right?

QUOTE (sivispacem)
Okay, then name one single natural process that is capable of interpreting symbols as a message.

Again, you insist on creating these f*cking absurd straw man arguments. Just because I can't personally provide an objective answer to one of your questions- a question your primary source acknowledges the incomplete nature of answered in regard to, I may add- does not mean that the general hypothesis behind my response is null and void. Seriously, it's like trying to explain quantum physics to a toddler.

It's okay you cannot provide an explanation to your personal beliefs I just want to make sure you realize the leap of faith you're taking when believing something is possible that has absolutely zero evidence of it being able to actually naturally occur and a good amount of evidence saying it can't happen through natural means since the only proven origin of information has been from an intelligence itself.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

• United-Kingdom

Posted 04 August 2013 - 10:40 PM Edited by sivispacem, 04 August 2013 - 10:55 PM.

QUOTE (GrandMaster Smith @ Sunday, Aug 4 2013, 23:08)
You do realize that the part I'm disagreeing with is his personal opinion, not the actual science discussed in the peer reviewed article, right?

Disagreeing with the entire philosophical context, and professional conclusions and interpretations derived from his work. And you honestly expect impartial external observers, when presented with a rational choice between your interpenetration of the meaning of his work, and his own interpretation of the meaning of his work, to choose yours? Face it, your own assessment of the value or otherwise of his conclusions is a purely subjective, individual and logically contentious one because it doesn't follow the train of thought of the subject matter expert you introduced into the discussion. Your merit in identifying logical conclusions from his work is inferior to his, primarily because you don't have any prior credit and no academic credence in the subject, but also because you seem incapable of actually comprehending the nature of the content we are discussing until it is broken down into bite-size chunks for you.

QUOTE (GrandMaster Smith @ Sunday, Aug 4 2013, 23:08)
It's okay you cannot provide an explanation to your personal beliefs I just want to make sure you realize the leap of faith you're taking when believing something is possible that has absolutely zero evidence of it being able to actually naturally occur and a good amount of evidence saying it can't happen through natural means since the only proven origin of information has been from an intelligence itself.

You see, here we are again with you claiming that my- and many other notable scientists, may I add- hypotheses are logically impossible, even though that isn't the crux or even an insinuation of the work at hand. I was going to disregard this largely because I accept that there's a certain amount of faith placed in the idea that unguided progression and natural selection have created sentient beings (unlike you who seems to believe that there's no requisite article of faith presented in an assessment of a world produced by an omniscient and omnipotent god, but I digress) but the fact you yet again choose to intentionally misrepresent the arguments of the very person you seem to be claiming supports your views (I.E claiming that there is evidence to say signals in DNA could not have existed through natural means, even though the content of your source to corroborate this claim merely suggests that there is no pre-existing evidence to suggest these patterns exist through known or understood natural means, which is a completely different f*cking point as I've explained to you about four times now) severely degrades the value of your argument. Not least of all because the conclusions you reach despite having no actual knowledge or academic credence in the subject contradict those of the person whose research you use as evidence to further your points.

RockStarNiko
  • RockStarNiko

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 04 August 2013 - 11:46 PM

When wondering about the mysteries of life I think you have to go beyond biology and look at the physics of it all

Looking at it from the atomic level would be a start but I think you need to go further and into the sub atomic quantum world

I have two thoughts, they may seem like going off tangent but I think they are essential when wondering about mystery of life and Universe in general really

1. Why do things "move"?

2. Does true empty space exist?

Think of a small box, full of blue marbles and one red marble. The red marble is going to go from one end of the box to the other

In a Universe that does have empty space, the red marble will move through all the blue marbles, moving them aside and physically go from point A to B

In a Universe that does not have empty space, the red marble does not move, instead it reacts with an adjacent blue ball, the blue ball becomes red and the original red ball turns blue and this process is repeated until the red marble has transferred from point A to B, like a wave

Why does an oxygen molecule move through the atmosphere? Is it just chance?
Why did I walk into the kitchen and back? Did I choose to or is was it chance, just a more elaborate and very complex form of chance with millions of variables?

Why do all the interactions that take place within a cell happen?

When DNA "gives instructions" or goes through replication it does so because of a chance event happening, random collisions between atoms and molecules

The process by which DNA evolved into what it is today happened by chance random collisions between atoms and molecules and over time the structure became more and more complex

The Earth itself is a huge collections of atoms, billions of lifeforms that evolved and all interacting with each other

Why do all these atoms that make up our entire planet and all life on it, interact in the way that they do?

Morons03
  • Morons03

Angry Gamer-Formerly Postit123

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 12 August 2013 - 09:49 PM

I think they are real, and have more advanced tech. than what we have.

...and that they visit here.

Nah Tso Gud
  • Nah Tso Gud

SuperHonky

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 15 August 2013 - 05:36 AM

QUOTE (Postit123 @ Monday, Aug 12 2013, 15:49)
I think they are real, and have more advanced tech. than what we have.

...and that they visit here.

How do you think they get here?

biggrin.gif

Just wondering/bumping.

RockStarNiko
  • RockStarNiko

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 31 August 2013 - 06:08 AM

need more aliens talk

Chunk
  • Chunk

Gangsta

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 31 August 2013 - 07:15 AM

The greatest indicator of there being intelligent life out there is the fact that so far they've stayed the hell away from us.

Nah Tso Gud
  • Nah Tso Gud

SuperHonky

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 12 November 2013 - 02:52 PM

Aw, bump? :D

Turned on the Science Channel and saw Michio Kaku on, recalled this thread, turns out it was dead. Poor thread.

Raavi
  • Raavi

Allergic to bullsh*t

• Vatican-City
  • Winner of World Cup 2014 Prediction League
    Best Forum Ledby 2013
    Most Improved 2013

Posted 12 November 2013 - 03:02 PM Edited by Raavi, 12 November 2013 - 03:02 PM.

Aw, bump? :D

Turned on the Science Channel and saw Michio Kaku on, recalled this thread, turns out it was dead. Poor thread.

How not to bump a thread, presented by our very own Nah Tso Gud.

Nah Tso Gud
  • Nah Tso Gud

SuperHonky

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 12 November 2013 - 03:26 PM

Bah, it's better than just a plain ol "Bump" :D

• JustOneMonth likes this

CatDog96
  • CatDog96

Dayman

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 12 November 2013 - 03:37 PM

I write lump.

I also think aliens might exist, I want them to but im not sure.

Nah Tso Gud
  • Nah Tso Gud

SuperHonky

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 12 November 2013 - 03:39 PM

I write lump.

No one is really sure, why aren't you?

CatDog96
  • CatDog96

Dayman

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 12 November 2013 - 03:41 PM

I write lump.

theres no actual good proof

Nah Tso Gud
  • Nah Tso Gud

SuperHonky

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 12 November 2013 - 03:57 PM Edited by Nah Tso Gud, 12 November 2013 - 03:58 PM.

I write lump.

theres no actual good proof

Yeah, it sucks because I ( we ) will more than likely never know for sure, not in our lifetime. Humans aren't as advanced as we like to believe. The first human made object has just recently left our solar system. Small potatoes. Even if we were able to travel near the speed of light we could only travel such a ( relatively ) short distance into out own galaxy within a lifetime.. I guess that is ignoring time dilation though, which I am not too familiar with. 

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Alcoholic Blues

• BUSTED!
  • United-States
  • Most Helpful [Expression] 2013

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:32 PM

I'm pretty sure it's safe to say that there is some sort of life out there. Real question is, is there intelligent life?

We can only view a glimpse of what the universe truly is.. and we've only just had a satellite finally leave our own solar system. We may never know if there is other life in our lifetime or our future generations.. but I don't think I'd want to come across other life. This isn't Mass Effect or Star Wars where species live amongst each other. Any other life will be deemed a threat until proven otherwise, including us.

Zotak
  • Zotak

Tom Hardy looks like me, or is it the other way?

• Members

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:48 PM

I like the idea of aliens, there must be something else, hell, they might live among us already, but the fact that we are still alive makes me wonder. If they share the same urge of domination as we humans do and are a superior force, then we're probably doomed when we meet them.

Why would they travel billions of miles just to say hi, like, wassup human lets have some coffe and discuss the salvation of planet earth.

Nah Tso Gud
  • Nah Tso Gud

SuperHonky

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 14 November 2013 - 03:37 PM

A certain amount of people seem to think that if a civilization is advanced enough to travel light years from their home, that they must be a diplomatic and cooperative bunch. Considering they haven't destroyed themselves yet with having harnessed such advanced technology.

Then again. No one really knows anything :D

UtricularEwe001
  • UtricularEwe001

I am a Pirate

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 November 2013 - 03:43 PM Edited by UtricularEwe001, 14 November 2013 - 03:44 PM.

It is Arrogant/Ignorant to think that we are alone in this massive universe.

Just look at this image:

http://9gag.com/gag/758723 *

Are they capable of invading earth?  f*cking bullsh*t.

* I am not sure, whether this is correct or wrong

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

• United-Kingdom

Posted 14 November 2013 - 04:01 PM

I don't understand why people speak with such conviction about the chances of life existing outside of earth. We don't properly understand the processes through which life exists nor the probability of it coming to exist, so how can we say with any certainly that it does or does not based solely on the size of the universe? Size would be irrelevant if the odds of life forming were so infinitesimally small that the existence of life on earth would be nothing short of a miracle. By all means have an opinion on the subject but the "you must be stupid not to believe in life outside earth" rhetoric is really, really ignorant.

CatDog96
  • CatDog96

Dayman

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 14 November 2013 - 04:05 PM Edited by CatDog96, 14 November 2013 - 04:05 PM.

I always like to imagine I get abducted by aliens and they give me super powers and stuff.

• Hecate likes this

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Alcoholic Blues

• BUSTED!
  • United-States
  • Most Helpful [Expression] 2013

Posted 14 November 2013 - 04:09 PM

It's out there, some where. 

W2B
  • W2B

• Zaibatsu
  • South-Africa

Posted 14 November 2013 - 06:12 PM

I personally don't believe that we've ever been visited by aliens. Ever. Despite what all those "ancient astronaut theorists" say (*cough*Giorgio Tsoukalos*cough*). But I do believe that they're out there... and that we'll probably never come in contact with them (at least not in our lifetime)

tubby custardd
  • tubby custardd

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 15 November 2013 - 08:29 PM

If we came in contact with aliens it wouldn't end well.

Just look what we did when the white man discovered the black man, enslaved them and mistreated them just because they had a different skin colour.

Just imagine what it would be like when we discover a new f*cking living race! We will want to dominate them. We will want to be the superior.

KEVIN
  • KEVIN

O.G

• Members

Posted 20 November 2013 - 08:31 PM

We shift through billions of parallel realities per second. In some they do and in some they don't. Which ever reality you believe in the most is the one you will end up in.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users