Quantcast

» «
Photo

Sleeping Dogs

206 replies to this topic

Poll: Is Sleeping Dogs worth playing? (193 member(s) have cast votes)

Is Sleeping Dogs worth playing?

1. Yes (153 votes [85.47%])

Percentage of vote: 85.47%

2. No (26 votes [14.53%])

Percentage of vote: 14.53%

Vote Guests cannot vote
The Yokel
  • The Yokel

Tokel. Never forgetti.

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 26 March 2017 - 10:55 AM

The gameplay in Sleeping Dogs is so good and innovative that it's practically the only thing that people ever talk about. But it's also a very cinematic game. Very well directed and with some of the best voice acting you'll hear in gaming. I never hear people talk about that but it's really worth mentioning. Will Yun Lee is amazing as Wei. And it's great that they hired mostly Chinese actors to voice the Chinese characters even in English. They didn't have to do that and most studios probably wouldn't even bother, so I really appreciate it. And then there's Tom Wilkinson a two time Academy award nominee and Emma Stone who recently won an Oscar. So this game boasts some pretty amazing acting talent.

Hopefully Square-Enix will see the wisdom in making a sequel.

• Mister Pink, Riqitch8, anthony and 10 others like this

Corndawg93
  • Corndawg93

OG

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 26 March 2017 - 11:37 AM

The gameplay in Sleeping Dogs is so good and innovative that it's practically the only thing that people ever talk about. But it's also a very cinematic game. Very well directed and with some of the best voice acting you'll hear in gaming. I never hear people talk about that but it's really worth mentioning. Will Yun Lee is amazing as Wei. And it's great that they hired mostly Chinese actors to voice the Chinese characters even in English. They didn't have to do that and most studios probably wouldn't even bother, so I really appreciate it. And then there's Tom Wilkinson a two time Academy award nominee and Emma Stone who recently won an Oscar. So this game boasts some pretty amazing acting talent.

There was a sequel, but the development team making went to sh*t and the game got canceled.
https://www.google.c...Tt6dvIJQ34eFRnA
  • The Yokel, Ivan1997GTA and Actlikeyouknow like this

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

Tokel. Never forgetti.

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 26 March 2017 - 01:03 PM

There was a sequel, but the development team making went to sh*t and the game got canceled.

https://www.google.c...Tt6dvIJQ34eFRnA

I'm aware of that. I was just expressing my desire to see it happen some day.

Journey_95
  • Journey_95

Soldier

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 26 March 2017 - 08:01 PM Edited by Journey_95, 26 March 2017 - 08:06 PM.

SE is pretty stupid (see how they handled Deus Ex) so they probably won't but I agree overall. Unlike most open world games these days (Mafia 3 and Watch Dogs 2 to name recent examples) they actually put effort into the story and characters of the game. Wei was a likable protagonist and I liked how personal the whole thing became for him.

The atmosphere of the game (along with the hand to hand combat) makes the game special. Hong Kong is just so much more interesting than getting another boring American city to explore.

My only wish is that it was longer and the ending feels a bit too safe (is Wei just going to go back to being a cop? would be strange after how he involved he became). 

• Mister Pink, MiamiViceCity, anthony and 2 others like this

MiamiViceCity
  • MiamiViceCity

The Unforgiven

• Australia
  • Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 26 March 2017 - 11:23 PM

The only thing I don't like about this game is after the story when Wei's finished his work he can STILL do favors and whatnot for other triad members like it doesn't matter that he's a cop. It just creates a massive disconnect IMO and it's one of the reasons I stopped playing immediately after the story finished.

Still a really good game though. I didn't think I'd like a karaoke minigame, but I did.:D

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 27 March 2017 - 01:37 PM

I've returned to this recently, having been underwhelmed on PS3 and eventually abandoning the game completely. Picked it up cheap for PS4 and still can't really get into it. Combat is quite good fun for the most part, and the world looks and feels pretty good, but it's just... really boring. The characters are achingly forgettable and the controls are just a bit too clunky for me. I can't find the motivation to actually push through and keep going. 

• MiamiViceCity likes this

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

мистер роз

• The Connection
  • None
  • Best Poster [Music] 2016
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 27 March 2017 - 06:53 PM

The motivation for me was the story isn't that long and the main thing is, that there's a good few experiences in the game that are new to open-world or GTA-like games to begin with. For example, the way you progress your character is perfect. Bringing back the missing Zodiac statues to the kwoon master is a perfect excuse to level up your skills and offers a great progression model. 

Also, the fighting as we all agree is good, is an integral part of the game. So when there's a good excuse to fight like a cashbox you want to loot from some local triads or in one of the 4 back-alley fighting den's, it's great. On top of that, there are unique environmental finishers (aside from using stuff like the car door) such as a furnace, cooker, aquarium etc. I remember the first time I smashed a guys head into an aquarium window then watched the glass shatter, the water rush out and the fish flopping on the floor. I then picked up the fish a beat some heads with it. Pretty funny and unique gaming moment. There's more environmental finishers in the story missions.

Did you get the complete edition on PS4?  I got it on XBL and it included the Zodiac derby that's a nod to Enter The Dragon. I didn't know the DLC so when I was playing with my mate at the time we got a surprise when we just stumbled upon it. 

Some of the costumes are great Mr. Black, Manhattan Melee and the martial arts outfits that offer more damage or the law enforcement ones. 

The gun battles in the last few missions are so much fun. Slo-moing over crates popping guys in the head as blood splatters over-the-wall is amazing. It's just something out of Hard Boiled.

Also, it's a great to watch some good Hong Kong action films in between saves like Infernal Affairs. It's also great to know the Sun On Yee and 18K are based on real Triad organizations actually called Sun Yee On and 14K

• The Yokel, MiamiViceCity, Journey_95 and 2 others like this

XXI
  • XXI

set 'em on fire

• Daily Globe
  • Wales
  • The Baddest Female
    Best CL Fan
    Best New Member 2015

Posted 27 March 2017 - 07:02 PM

The only thing I don't like about this game is after the story when Wei's finished his work he can STILL do favors and whatnot for other triad members like it doesn't matter that he's a cop. It just creates a massive disconnect IMO and it's one of the reasons I stopped playing immediately after the story finished.

Still a really good game though. I didn't think I'd like a karaoke minigame, but I did. :D

I did not like the add ons, huge let down. I feel like the story missions weren't long enough to let me connect with the protagonist. Interesting story tho, easy game overall. Worth a buy if on sale IMO.

Donatello
  • Donatello

Anyone for stickball? I've got a stick. You be the ball.

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 March 2017 - 07:05 PM

Sleeping Dogs felt like it was trying to be a movie instead of a video game.

YA BOY DIRT
  • YA BOY DIRT

My Name Is Thunder

• The Yakuza
  • Armenia
  • Best Timbs 2016
    Most Desperate Campaign Poster 2016
    Most Desperate Campaign Poster 2015
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 28 March 2017 - 05:12 AM

Will Yun Lee is amazing as Wei. And it's great that they hired mostly Chinese actors to voice the Chinese characters even in English. They didn't have to do that and most studios probably wouldn't even bother, so I really appreciate it. And then there's Tom Wilkinson a two time Academy award nominee and Emma Stone who recently won an Oscar.

Ehh, I wouldn't tout Emma Stone as such a huge deal for Sleeping Dogs. She's in it for all of one optional mission and one extended cutscene. Tom Wilkinson and Will Yun Lee were very much standouts, however.

• Mister Pink and Ivan1997GTA like this

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

мистер роз

• The Connection
  • None
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014

Posted 28 March 2017 - 08:23 AM

....Tom Wilkinson and Will Yun Lee were very much standouts, however.

Yeah Tom Wilkinson was just perfect for his role and did a great job. I kind of wish Rockstar would use known actors again although after seeing Vice City recently and being a huge Goodfellas fan, I couldn't stop seeing Ray Liotta in my mind every time Vercetti spoke. Kind of the beauty of using lesser known actors. 

• SmokesWithCigs and Ivan1997GTA like this

shadyslady
  • shadyslady

I've never been popular - I don't mean to start now

• Members

Posted 29 March 2017 - 12:03 PM

You think so?
I find it very good actually.
Of course GTA V beats the crap out of SD. Still, the melee combat was fantastic. So were many details even though they were not fully fleshed out...
Customising your home, wrench in the trunk.
The pop the trunk function.
Hacking, saving customised outfits, highspeed car chases with gunfights popping tires making the enemy crash...
  • Mister Pink and SmokesWithCigs like this

Mr. Fartenhate
  • Mr. Fartenhate

please read m,y bad fanfiction

• Members
  • Australia
  • Best Closet Furry 2016

Posted 29 March 2017 - 12:22 PM

i mean movies usually have much better stories than video games so

Journey_95
  • Journey_95

Soldier

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 31 March 2017 - 07:05 PM

Thats one of the reasons I like it so much, same with Mafia 2. Cinematic story focused games are my favourites.

• SmokesWithCigs likes this

AiŽaŠobŽa
  • AiŽaŠobŽa

General

• Members
  • NATO

Posted 01 April 2017 - 03:44 AM

There was somewhat of a sequel to Sleep Dogs called Tirad Wars it used the Sleeping Dogs map and was sponsered by SE but sadly it was an Online Pay2Play game which is probably why it lasted less then a year before the servers were shut down.

• Ivan1997GTA likes this

anthony
  • anthony

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 April 2017 - 09:42 PM Edited by anthony, 02 April 2017 - 09:56 PM.

I really liked Sleeping Dogs, the story and the characters are pretty good, liked how Hong Kong was rendered, the layout is nice; and I love the game atmosphere. The soundtrack is f*cking great especially Ninja tunes radio, one of my favorite videogame radio of all time. The fighting mechanic is also really fun. Anyways, I have some really good memories with this game and to me this is a far better game than GTA 5.

Edit: One thing that blew me away a bit is how you see and feel how Wei progress, from sh*tty and small apartment located in "bad/low" neighbor hood to vast and luxurious condos in the best places of the city, even with the clothes and cars; you really have that 'feeling' of progression.

The ability of upgrading the safehouses are good too.

• Mister Pink, Riqitch8 and Ivan1997GTA like this

anthony
  • anthony

• Members
  • None

Posted 2 weeks ago Edited by anthony, 2 weeks ago.

I was watching this;

Pretty interesting.

The American Army 1775
  • The American Army 1775

The Protectors

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 2 weeks ago Edited by DIze, 2 weeks ago.

Is this game a big game or a small game? I mean missionwise.

feckyerlife
  • feckyerlife

Big Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 2 weeks ago

like GTA

Synthol
  • Synthol

You're not bulletproof

• Members
  • Republic-of-the-Congo

Posted 2 weeks ago

What would classify as a 'big' or 'small' mission? The map itself isn't very big and the missions are generally not very time consuming.

• The American Army 1775 likes this

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

мистер роз

• The Connection
  • None
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014

Posted 2 weeks ago

I usually take extended breaks in the middle of games before coming back to them. I did this with Sleeping Dogs. But if you doing all the side-missions in between and get the collectibles you get anywhere from 30-50 hours.

I would estimate that the story could be done in about 15-20hrs long.

Actually just found this site.. pretty handy. It accounts for different playstyles..

https://howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=8640 

Commander S
  • Commander S

DON'T PANIC

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 2 weeks ago Edited by Commander S, 2 weeks ago.

I've still got to complete the last DLC expansion, and finish off all the achievements, but for most of the main game, it's taken me about 33 hours, and maybe 3-4 hours each for 100% for Nightmare in North Point and Year of the Snake.

Recently decided to mop up all the random events and street races - now it's mainly just a case of doing every little gold medal requirement, which'll take a fair few mission replays. Probably going to get a bit grind-y, and I just did the same for Saints Row IV, so probably not going to go down that particular rabbit hole just yet...!

(just re-read the question - whoops!  :whistle:) Individual mission-wise, depends - some of the big set-piece things might take half an hour, like the final mission, but there's a whole bunch of shorter things overall, and a lot of things are broken up with ample checkpoints. I'd say it's comparable to GTA V in that regard.

• Mister Pink and Ivan1997GTA like this

SmokesWithCigs
  • SmokesWithCigs

recovering addict

• Members
  • United-States

Posted A week ago

It's very short. Story can be completed in 2 days, and there's barely any sidemissions.

It'll last you about a week. Not only that but the driving is AWFUL. The game plays pretty smooth and fluid until you enter a vehicle! tounge.gif

don't sit on your ass for 8 hours and you won't complete it so quick. theres plenty of side content I bet you hate any open world game unless its gta IV. as for the driving man just stfu sleeping dogs is fun and another thing your avi annoys the f*ck out of me.

You think so?
I find it very good actually.
Of course GTA V beats the crap out of SD. Still, the melee combat was fantastic. So were many details even though they were not fully fleshed out...
Customising your home, wrench in the trunk.
The pop the trunk function.
Hacking, saving customised outfits, highspeed car chases with gunfights popping tires making the enemy crash...

don't forget the ability to hijak cars while jumping from your moving vehicle also the interactivity with your surroundings during street fights the leveling up and the gore and execution animations. lastly the gunplay.
  • Mister Pink and Payne Killer like this

anthony
  • anthony

• Members
  • None

Posted A week ago

The map is not huge but the layout is nice, well created map.

Of course GTA V beats the crap out of SD

Actually to me it's the opposite.

dot.Error
  • dot.Error

Antagonist

• Members
  • None

Posted A week ago

I tried to replay Sleeping Dogs today, but the driving threw me off. It's really bad. Worse than I remember it and worse than GTA V.

The American Army 1775
  • The American Army 1775

The Protectors

• Members
  • United-States

Posted A week ago

Thanks brothers. I was just gonna buy that game.
YOU OPENED MY EYES!
Anyway, it's graphics are AWESOME as per it's walkthroughs.
  • Mister Pink likes this

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

мистер роз

• The Connection
  • None
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014

Posted 13 hours ago

Thanks brothers. I was just gonna buy that game.
YOU OPENED MY EYES!

Anyway, it's graphics are AWESOME as per it's walkthroughs.

Wait, so did you decide not to get it? 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users