Quantcast

» «
Photo

Sleeping Dogs

178 replies to this topic

Poll: Is Sleeping Dogs worth playing? (172 member(s) have cast votes)

Is Sleeping Dogs worth playing?

1. Yes (133 votes [84.18%])

Percentage of vote: 84.18%

2. No (25 votes [15.82%])

Percentage of vote: 15.82%

Vote Guests cannot vote
ARC8_1982
  • ARC8_1982

Playa

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 October 2014 - 02:08 PM

I've only played the demo on S*eam some time ago, was amazed by the fighting sections of the game, it's really that good, besides it has that feeling from action movies,  im kinda happy, that i haven't played the game yet, im going to buy this re-master as soon as the price drops significantly.

QuestionableChanges
  • QuestionableChanges

Snitch

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 October 2014 - 02:59 PM

Leaving GTA aside, Sleeping Dogs has the best 'drive around listening to radio at night' feel. I don't recall another word for it at the moment. :p 

Dbns_Finest
  • Dbns_Finest

"Did I ever tell you the definition of insanity?"

• Members
  • South-Africa

Posted 11 October 2014 - 03:05 PM

I'll probably pick up the definitive edition next year. I want this game but I don't really want to pay for it at full price.
  • ARC8_1982 likes this

Th3MaN1
  • Th3MaN1

Big Homie

• Members
  • Romania
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 11 October 2014 - 03:43 PM

Just gave it a try.

Pretty good game, through fighting is a bit wanky. Countering isn't as smooth as in the Arkham games. No matter how well you time the counter, you have to wait for the counter to happen at least 1 second, until the guy actually attacks you.

Other than that, runs fine as f*ck on an okay resolution, but graphically, you can pretty much say it's the same thing, at least on PC.

ARC8_1982
  • ARC8_1982

Playa

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 October 2014 - 04:47 PM

it's a must have, but only when it's get as cheap as bag of chips

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Traum - Tagtraum - Am Fenster

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 12 October 2014 - 02:46 AM

I'm still curious, will the new version have anything new or will it just be a revamp of old graphics?

Johan
  • Johan

Free The Future

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Dominican-Republic
  • Helpfulness Award [GTA]

Posted 12 October 2014 - 03:28 AM

I'm still curious, will the new version have anything new or will it just be a revamp of old graphics?

Just an upgraded boost with more pedestrians,vehicles, audio, resolution, in the area than in the last generation version (consoles) with the inclusion of all DLCs I believe.

Dbns_Finest
  • Dbns_Finest

"Did I ever tell you the definition of insanity?"

• Members
  • South-Africa

Posted 12 October 2014 - 10:36 AM

So a lot of gaming sites are saying the definitive edition was a rather lazy port and that it ran better on old gen than new gen. Sounds like another cash grab by square enix. Glad I didn't buy it at full price. I'll still probably buy it in the future.
  • BLOOD-MOND likes this

Breaking Bad
  • Breaking Bad

I am the one who knocks.

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 12 October 2014 - 12:12 PM Edited by Breaking Bad, 12 October 2014 - 12:15 PM.

^ Can't really comment on that, as I never played the old version. It looks great to me on the PS4, but again I can't compare the two.

I've only played about an hour or so. Firstly, the map is brilliant, probably the best part of the game by far. Feels really alive, and I enjoyed looking around at the sights. There's a few problems such as tears that I noticed in certain areas, but I'm not that bothered by it. The hacking is annoying having played Watch Dogs, and it being more enjoyable. Entering random numbers is meh to me tbh. Not sure if that gets better though as that was the first one I did.

Combat is decent, but countering feels sort of sluggish at times. I really can't stand the driving from what I've experienced so far, maybe it just takes getting used too. People complain about GTA V's driving, but that honestly didn't take me long to get used too, where as this feels really weird. Reminds me of Watch Dogs' mechanics almost.

Also is there a way to walk in this game, no matter how lightly you press it, the guy still jogs. Is there a button you have to hold or something? I like looking around.

• Th3MaN1 likes this

Th3MaN1
  • Th3MaN1

Big Homie

• Members
  • Romania
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 12 October 2014 - 04:09 PM

^I think Wei only walks when the situation asks for it.

Also, those f*cking fights. Hate those bigger guys.

• Aby likes this

Johan
  • Johan

Free The Future

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Dominican-Republic

Posted 12 October 2014 - 06:03 PM

So a lot of gaming sites are saying the definitive edition was a rather lazy port and that it ran better on old gen than new gen. Sounds like another cash grab by square enix. Glad I didn't buy it at full price. I'll still probably buy it in the future.

Yeah I can see why, apart from what I wrote in my last post.. it's nothing big, but it's mostly for those that didn't buy the game last time or want to increase their achievements/trophy list, the improvements really aren't that much noticeable.

Breaking Bad
  • Breaking Bad

I am the one who knocks.

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 13 October 2014 - 11:02 AM

I take back what I said on the driving, it's just a progression thing. Now that I'm getting used to it, I'm finding it fairly easy to drive around. Obviously some are still a pain, but I think that's more to do with the vehicle itself rather than the mechanics.

Just had a really sweet fight in the Night Club, I was so pumped up, with the music in the background. Was almost like an action scene.

ClaudeSpeed1911
  • ClaudeSpeed1911

J.E.C.

• Members
  • Palestine

Posted 13 October 2014 - 11:21 AM

I remember being able to walk when I hold L2 but its been a while since I played it.

That was on PS3 by the way, Not sure if they changed the game controls.

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

Tokel. Never forget.

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 13 October 2014 - 11:42 AM

Also is there a way to walk in this game, no matter how lightly you press it, the guy still jogs. Is there a button you have to hold or something? I like looking around.

On the PC, the lock-on button makes Wei walk when out of combat. But the camera zooms in like in Batman over-the-shoulder view. So try the lock-on button whatever that might be.

Breaking Bad
  • Breaking Bad

I am the one who knocks.

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 13 October 2014 - 12:00 PM

Yeah, I tried that earlier, it's the same on PS4, L2 to walk. Like you said though, it's all zoomed in. That feature missing is just strange to me, guess I'm in the minority that prefers walking and taking my time.

theworldfamous
  • theworldfamous

all your game are belong to I

• Members

Posted 13 October 2014 - 12:14 PM

I gave this a try on PC last year. Ran great and looks pretty decent but I didn't see anything that warranted a second playthrough, let alone a remaster.

This was the True Crime game that was canned and then revitalised and then changed publishers and names etc...

I remember the driving was extremely sh*tty. There's no excuse for sh*tty driving in 2014, even less than in 2012.

Kiffster
  • Kiffster

• Zaibatsu
  • South-Africa

Posted 13 October 2014 - 01:58 PM

The driving was fine in my opinion.

Johan
  • Johan

Free The Future

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Dominican-Republic

Posted 13 October 2014 - 06:30 PM

Agreed, didn't take more than 10 minutes to get used to also, racing was beyond entertaining in that game.

Aby
  • Aby

★ Sexualizer ★

• BUSTED!
  • Cuba
  • Biggest Like Whore 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Best New Member 2013

Posted 13 October 2014 - 06:33 PM

Meh it was tolerable. At least in Watch Dogs if you mastered it you could drift with a freight truck if you wanted to. The ramming mechanic in Sleeping Dogs was pretty fun though as it reminds me of police chases in GTA: Chinatown Wars.

ARC8_1982
  • ARC8_1982

Playa

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 October 2014 - 06:49 PM Edited by ARC8_1982, 14 October 2014 - 11:36 PM.

i played only the demo when it came out on S**am, but it was meh back then, and i think this re-master isnt better, just read some of the latest reviews.

MiamiViceCity
  • MiamiViceCity

The Harwood Butcher

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 14 October 2014 - 04:47 AM

I'd love to get the Definitive Edition. The original Sleeping Dogs was awesome IMO, but I never got the chance to play it with all the DLC. I'd rather it than GTA V NG honestly.

Johan
  • Johan

Free The Future

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Dominican-Republic

Posted 15 October 2014 - 12:19 AM

Put almost a full day into this game since midnight and I can say that it's not a terrible port, only times I've seen the frames drop was in an action cutscene when it transitions from a scene to gameplay.. aside from that it's extremely smooth.

Game looks amazing, I played the PC version years ago using the HD texture mod pack I believe that's what it was called, and that's exactly how it looks again just a bit better with better lighting. I still think 53$ (discount for preordering it on the PSN store) is a tad too much for a "remastered" game but overall I'd say I don't regret it.

• Mister Pink likes this

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

More Bounce to The Ounce

• The Connection
  • None
  • Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 29 May 2016 - 08:37 PM

I've sunk 20 hours in to the definitive edition which I purchased on Xbox for 7.50. What a steal. This game is amazing,. I never finished it on the 360 but am taking my sweet time, doing all the cop side-missions, helping friends-missions and getting most of the collectibles. The story is pretty fun and I suppose it themes borrow heavily from Infernal Affairs and lots of other Hong-Kong action flicks. 

The DLC is brilliant I was pleasantly surprised to see some sweet outfits. You can get the Hitman/Agent 47 outfit, Bruce Lee's attire from Enter The Dragon, Sarif Industries outfit (Adam Jensen) and  Mr Black from Reservoir Dogs. 

• El Diablo and Riqitch8 like this

Riqitch8
  • Riqitch8

"She'll make .5 past light speed"

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 May 2016 - 09:48 PM

I've sunk 20 hours in to the definitive edition which I purchased on Xbox for 7.50. What a steal. This game is amazing,. I never finished it on the 360 but am taking my sweet time, doing all the cop side-missions, helping friends-missions and getting most of the collectibles. The story is pretty fun and I suppose it themes borrow heavily from Infernal Affairs and lots of other Hong-Kong action flicks. 

The DLC is brilliant I was pleasantly surprised to see some sweet outfits. You can get the Hitman/Agent 47 outfit, Bruce Lee's attire from Enter The Dragon, Sarif Industries outfit (Adam Jensen) and  Mr Black from Reservoir Dogs. 

Completely agree. Don't forget about Rico's outfit from Just Cause 2, but you only get that if JC2 save data is found on the hard disk. Anyone else agree that this game needs a sequel (or a spin off)?

• Journey_95 likes this

Journey_95
  • Journey_95

Soldier

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 29 May 2016 - 10:43 PM

Completely agree. Don't forget about Rico's outfit from Just Cause 2, but you only get that if JC2 save data is found on the hard disk. Anyone else agree that this game needs a sequel (or a spin off)?

It definitely does but I'm not sure it will get one. They made some lame MMO which wasn't very succesful at all so it was cancelled a few months back.

Anyway yeah Sleeping Dogs was awesome. It felt fresh and the setting was unique (very underused in games). Also playing as a undercover cop was interesting.

• Mister Pink and Riqitch8 like this

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

More Bounce to The Ounce

• The Connection
  • None
    Best Poster [Music] 2014

Posted 30 May 2016 - 12:10 AM

Yes, I forgot to mention Rico's outfit! I didn't know that only appears if you have JC2 data on the HD. Brilliant! :)

@Journey: Yeah that was a total sham, so I heard. I'm sorry they didn't get a green-light to make a sequel, yet. The game was more realised than a lot of AAA games out there. 

I know it didn't do as well commercially but critically, the game trumped. 

I keep seeing all these new things all the time. I got in a fist fight with some gang members and then an ambulance came and they tried to revive him with a defibrillator. I haven't seen it again since. I also love the way the game is really built around the hand-to-hand combat and that I've rarely shot a gun. I did do a mission earlier and it was totally gun-centric and it just gave more weight and "oomph" as it felt like a genuine escalation to crazy violence. 

I really hope Rockstar look at doing a more advanced hand-to-hand combat in RDR and GTA alike. 

Ai家妯b家
  • Ai家妯b家

General

• Members
  • NATO

Posted 31 May 2016 - 06:22 PM

There was some what of a sequel made, I was a beta tester for it but sadly it's a Pay2Play game and you build your triad and then raid other peoples complex

• Mister Pink likes this

Zello
  • Zello

Hired gun

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 31 May 2016 - 06:40 PM

There was some what of a sequel made, I was a beta tester for it but sadly it's a Pay2Play game and you build your triad and then raid other peoples complex

Yeah Triad wars it's gone now wish they made a proper sequel

• Mister Pink likes this

Ai家妯b家
  • Ai家妯b家

General

• Members
  • NATO

Posted 31 May 2016 - 08:07 PM

It's still aroud but yeah

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

More Bounce to The Ounce

• The Connection
  • None
    Best Poster [Music] 2014

Posted 01 June 2016 - 10:03 AM

It's still aroud but yeah

Man, some of those headshots.. like old-skool GTA. Completely destroying the head. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users