Quantcast

» «
Photo

Sleeping Dogs

206 replies to this topic

Poll: Is Sleeping Dogs worth playing? (197 member(s) have cast votes)

Is Sleeping Dogs worth playing?

1. Yes (157 votes [85.79%])

Percentage of vote: 85.79%

2. No (26 votes [14.21%])

Percentage of vote: 14.21%

Vote Guests cannot vote
Daz
  • Daz

Pirandello/Kruger

• Cyclop 9
  • None
  • Best Poster [Gaming] 2016
    Best Poster [Gaming] 2015
    Best Poster [Gaming] 2014

Posted 30 July 2013 - 10:04 AM

QUOTE (LazyboyEight @ Tuesday, Jul 30 2013, 09:01)
Now SR2 had better driving than SR3, I'd say better than Sleeping Dogs as well. The cars weren't fast on the motorway, sure, but if you're driving an Attrazione through the city, the cars at least reacted to the sliding and to the environment.

SR2 and JC2 had actual gears that don't go on forever..

You have GOT to be sh*tting me.

This has to be a joke.

SR2 is probably the worst driving mechanics in a game ever, the game was awesome, but the driving was f*cking awful, anyone who even knows what they are talking about knows that.

All vehicles were glorified go-karts, there was no suspension, no powersliding, just bumper cars glued to a track. Hitting other vehicles was just down right painful to watch, it looked AWFUL.

As for the infinite gears, SR2 is the prime example of the main game that has that very thing you say it doesn't, especially on the bikes.

Saints Row the third had highly more improved driving, it wasn't amazing but I could live with it to an extent and get a little fun out of it, but you couldnt get any fun out of the SR2 driving. Sleeping dogs was either on par with SR3 or above it.

JC2 driving might have been fine driving a super fast sports car round the race track, but actual handling, and driving every day cars was f*cking awful.

The only good thing about GTAIV was the engine, and the driving physics, the rest sucks arse, and nothing compares to this game aside from the early Driver games.

Anyway the point is, Sleeping Dogs is a way better game to play than JC2 or SR2.

SR2 is the best, but only as a co-op experience, otherwise Sleeping Dogs will be better, though may not be as replayable as SR2, but better for someone wanting a game to pass the time.

As for JC2, though I loved the map and the grapple and parachute technique which was extremely innovative, and we need a JC3. Having said that, the shooting mechanics were f*cking god awful as was the driving. It was fun to explore the map and find easter eggs and fly around but really all it is, is just sh*t to blow up to get 100%, There is only a few core missions which arent that fun due to poor gameplay in other sections. What would have made it better is if it had co-op, then I could see it beating SR2 for fun.

Not the point though, the driving is decent enough, the fighting is good, the map is great, the story is engaging and it felt like a nice world to live in.

It is not a hollow shell, it is a proper enviroment and a good simulation of the city.

And most importantly, very much worth playing.
  • MikeyBelic likes this

BullworthAcademy
  • BullworthAcademy

Can't wait for Red Dead Redemption 2!

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 30 July 2013 - 10:18 AM

QUOTE (Antagonista @ Tuesday, Jul 30 2013, 10:53)
QUOTE (theomenofficial @ Tuesday, Jul 30 2013, 04:09)
IMO the story is definitely better and more engaging than JC2, SR or GTA IV.

Yeah, cause Breaking Bad is the best TV show too lol.gif

It's the best show of all time, now f*ck off, no-one asked for you to be here and no-one likes you.

On Topic: The gameplay is actually great, the driving is better than Saints Row and story does matter as a game is nothing without it's story. I loved that you could replay missions and it had some really great songs on the radio.

Android
  • Android

gas exists

• Facade Corporation
  • NATO
  • The Congressional Medal of sh*tposting
    Contribution Award [Snapmatic Competition]
    Most Talented Graphics Artist 2015
    Most Improved Member 2015
    Best General Topic 2015 [GTAForums Newbie Guide 2.0]
    Best Poster [Technology] 2015
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best New Gang 2014 [RBE]
    Helpfulness Award [GTA V]

Posted 30 July 2013 - 10:25 AM

QUOTE (theomenofficial @ Tuesday, Jul 30 2013, 05:18)
QUOTE (Antagonista @ Tuesday, Jul 30 2013, 10:53)
QUOTE (theomenofficial @ Tuesday, Jul 30 2013, 04:09)
IMO the story is definitely better and more engaging than JC2, SR or GTA IV.

Yeah, cause Breaking Bad is the best TV show too lol.gif

It's the best show of all time, now f*ck off, no-one asked for you to be here and no-one likes you.

On Topic: The gameplay is actually great, the driving is better than Saints Row and story does matter as a game is nothing without it's story. I loved that you could replay missions and it had some really great songs on the radio.

why are you so mad though?

OT: I bet if I played it a bit longer it wouldn't be bad, maybe I should try again. I didn't play it long either. Might give it another go before Summer ends.

Cameron
  • Cameron

💯

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 30 July 2013 - 10:29 AM

QUOTE (Daz @ Tuesday, Jul 30 2013, 10:04)
QUOTE (LazyboyEight @ Tuesday, Jul 30 2013, 09:01)
Now SR2 had better driving than SR3, I'd say better than Sleeping Dogs as well. The cars weren't fast on the motorway, sure, but if you're driving an Attrazione through the city, the cars at least reacted to the sliding and to the environment.

SR2 and JC2 had actual gears that don't go on forever..

You have GOT to be sh*tting me.

This has to be a joke.

SR2 is probably the worst driving mechanics in a game ever, the game was awesome, but the driving was f*cking awful, anyone who even knows what they are talking about knows that.

All vehicles were glorified go-karts, there was no suspension, no powersliding, just bumper cars glued to a track. Hitting other vehicles was just down right painful to watch, it looked AWFUL.

As for the infinite gears, SR2 is the prime example of the main game that has that very thing you say it doesn't, especially on the bikes.

Saints Row the third had highly more improved driving, it wasn't amazing but I could live with it to an extent and get a little fun out of it, but you couldnt get any fun out of the SR2 driving. Sleeping dogs was either on par with SR3 or above it.

JC2 driving might have been fine driving a super fast sports car round the race track, but actual handling, and driving every day cars was f*cking awful.

The only good thing about GTAIV was the engine, and the driving physics, the rest sucks arse, and nothing compares to this game aside from the early Driver games.

Anyway the point is, Sleeping Dogs is a way better game to play than JC2 or SR2.

SR2 is the best, but only as a co-op experience, otherwise Sleeping Dogs will be better, though may not be as replayable as SR2, but better for someone wanting a game to pass the time.

As for JC2, though I loved the map and the grapple and parachute technique which was extremely innovative, and we need a JC3. Having said that, the shooting mechanics were f*cking god awful as was the driving. It was fun to explore the map and find easter eggs and fly around but really all it is, is just sh*t to blow up to get 100%, There is only a few core missions which arent that fun due to poor gameplay in other sections. What would have made it better is if it had co-op, then I could see it beating SR2 for fun.

Not the point though, the driving is decent enough, the fighting is good, the map is great, the story is engaging and it felt like a nice world to live in.

It is not a hollow shell, it is a proper enviroment and a good simulation of the city.

And most importantly, very much worth playing.

Opinions. You get your driving fun based on how easy it is, I get my driving fun based on how challenging it is.

As for your other points, if you think JC2 had awful shooting mechanics, you're playing the game wrong. It's not a cover based shooter, you're supposed to pull off stunts. JC2 had some good shooting because it was satisfying when you pull a good stunt off.

Secondly, all your points have lost a lot of credibility when you say everything from GTA4 besides the driving and engine sucks arse. Call me a GTA4 fanboy all you want but GTA4 in my opinion is the best game this gen. It's the only game that's kept me playing for so long.

Anyway back to the point of Sleeping Dogs, the driving is simply piss easy. If you enjoy easy driving, get Sleeping Dogs. If you enjoy more interesting driving, there's other games like GTA4 and JC2.

nightwalker83
  • nightwalker83

Don't mind me

• Members
  • None

Posted 31 July 2013 - 01:06 AM

QUOTE (Chris Fromage @ Saturday, Jul 27 2013, 23:57)
contra:
Short story,
no multiplayer,

You forget to say that that controls aren't totally configurable suh as GTA series.

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Alcoholic Blues

• BUSTED!
  • United-States
  • Most Helpful [Expression] 2013

Posted 03 January 2014 - 04:14 PM

This is free on 360 right now.. totally didn't see that before incase anyone else has missed it as well. 6GB download

Boxman108
  • Boxman108

Thug

• Members

Posted 03 January 2014 - 05:11 PM

It's an alright game so far. Actually reminds me a bit of True Crime: Streets of LA with the focus on the combat.

joshua969
  • joshua969

Cholla Springs Tour Guide

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 January 2014 - 05:20 PM

Great game.  I had a blast running around Hong Kong doing missions.  Once I discovered the cars have a ram button, I abused the hell out of it....LOL.

ScooterBrother
  • ScooterBrother

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 January 2014 - 05:41 PM

Just down loaded this for free off of xbox live. After reading most of the reviews I am looking forward to playing this.

Kiffster
  • Kiffster

• Zaibatsu
  • South-Africa

Posted 03 January 2014 - 06:01 PM

I was really hesitant to pick up Sleeping Dogs when it was released because IMO the majority of games similar to GTA are not good, or very mediocre. To me the game looked and reminded me a lot of the horrible True Crime series, but I decided to give it a try and the game turned out to be surprisingly good and loads of fun. The fighting is great, good story, the map is not too bad etc etc.

Of coarse it doesn't even come close to the likes of GTA or Mafia, but it is definitely worth playing.

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Alcoholic Blues

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 03 January 2014 - 06:26 PM

It's an alright game so far. Actually reminds me a bit of True Crime: Streets of LA with the focus on the combat.

It's actually a descendant of True Crime. I used to love True Crime back in the days.. 

Boxman108
  • Boxman108

Thug

• Members

Posted 03 January 2014 - 06:36 PM

Loved Streets of LA on the Gamecube but couldn't get into NY at all due to the drab atmosphere. I think GTAIV pulled that off better.

iiConTr0v3rSYx
  • iiConTr0v3rSYx

Warning.... Warning... Controversy

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 04 January 2014 - 02:06 AM

It's actually a descendant of True Crime. I used to love True Crime back in the days.. 

I could never finish True Crime;Streets of LA....

The boss fights were crazy hard.

Chase177
  • Chase177

Procrastinator

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 04 January 2014 - 05:48 AM

Downloaded this a few days ago when I noticed it was free, and I've really been enjoying it. The driving could use a major tweak, but besides that it's a great game.

iNero
  • iNero

Black Tiger Sex Machine

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 04 January 2014 - 03:44 PM

the fighting is just awesome. best I know of.

Shooting mechanics are ok, but the graphics are horrendous ( they are better at night though )

Driving is bad too imo. Controlls would be a lot better if the camera would have a better angle and a wider FoV.

I wished GTA5 had those fighting and grabbing mechanics. 

Story is good imo.

Overall its ok but without the fighting mechanics it would be a worse game

Black & White
  • Black & White

Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 04 January 2014 - 03:56 PM

This is free on 360 right now.. totally didn't see that before incase anyone else has missed it as well. 6GB download

Thanks for resurrecting a dead topic.

GtaIvFanboy
  • GtaIvFanboy

I Have a Foot Fetish

• BUSTED!

Posted 06 January 2014 - 10:41 PM

i liked it its My 2nd Favourite Gta Clone (Just behind  Mafia 2) or gta type game for those who get Offended by the Term   i Would Actually say its not that far Off V In fact it Runs it Really Quite Close.

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Alcoholic Blues

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 07 January 2014 - 09:55 PM

Only thing I don't like about Sleeping Dogs is the driving, damn it's awful but it's still a fun game. I've been playing it the last couple days. I'm going to go for all side objectives and all this go around.

Kiffster
  • Kiffster

• Zaibatsu
  • South-Africa

Posted 07 January 2014 - 10:09 PM

The driving isn't actually that bad imho. I only play with keyboard and mouse on pc though, so maybe that's why. I should try it with my xbox controller too to see what it's like...

Boxman108
  • Boxman108

Thug

• Members

Posted 08 January 2014 - 03:22 AM

I don't find driving awful. At least it has more to it than GTAV's driving. However it can be hard to turn sharp and the handbrake only seems to work over a certain speed.

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Alcoholic Blues

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 08 January 2014 - 04:58 AM

Not sure what you mean more to it? The driving physics are horrible, not to mention braking and I'm not talking about handbrakes either.. just regular braking is horrible. I don't know man.. it's just sh*tty to say the least. Everything else is fine and fun but the driving causes me to deduct a point from my rating.

Anyways, so far in the game, I'm not far for my 2nd playthrough but I'm spending a lot of time on finding loot boxes as well as health shrines. I'm going for 100%.

ScooterBrother
  • ScooterBrother

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 08 January 2014 - 03:32 PM

I just find it funny people are talking about how bad the driving is on a game that takes place in Hong Kong.

TaviColen123
  • TaviColen123

Trollhater

• BUSTED!
  • Romania

Posted 08 January 2014 - 04:17 PM

iNero, on 04 Jan 2014 - 5:44 PM, said:

Shooting mechanics are ok, but the graphics are horrendous ( they are better at night though )

Driving is bad too imo. Controlls would be a lot better if the camera would have a better angle and a wider FoV.

Story is good imo.

Would not really make sense for two 40 plus years old and one black guy to have kung fu moves would it ? Although i agree the fighting could have been improved but not like this or the Batman games because it seems ridiculous and unrealistic .

I just find it funny people are talking about how bad the driving is on a game that takes place in Hong Kong.

Dumb stereotypes isnt funny either .

iNero
  • iNero

Black Tiger Sex Machine

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 08 January 2014 - 05:13 PM

iNero, on 04 Jan 2014 - 5:44 PM, said:

Story is good imo.

Would not really make sense for two 40 plus years old and one black guy to have kung fu moves would it ? Although i agree the fighting could have been improved but not like this or the Batman games because it seems ridiculous and unrealistic .

Dumb stereotypes isnt funny either .

uhm Jackie Chan and Jet Li both are 50 and 50+... both do martial arts in real life

since when is age a thing for martial arts???

many MMA fighters are in there 30s. Anderson Silva  was almost 40 before his career ended a few weeks ago because of a broken leg...

Chuck Liddell retired with 41. 

Your argument is quite invalid

PLUS: I never said they should practise Kung Fu in GTA5.

Misbegotten cad
  • Misbegotten cad

Prankster

• BUSTED!

Posted 10 January 2014 - 01:13 PM

To me the best thing about this game was the exploration of the huge city-island.

There were hidden money stashes everywhere, and also those great health shrines that gave you more health whenever you found enough of them.

The bad thing is that the story itself does not really replay. Loved the story in the first go, but now that I tried it again, I did not find them so interesting.

Another bad thing was that you have to upp your face level before you can buy the best clothes and stuff. In otherwise realistic game, this was a bit silly: i mean would the vendors in real life refuse to sell you great clothes if your reaputation was not up to it???

Still, brill game, with brill looks and heaps of atmosphere!

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Alcoholic Blues

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 11 January 2014 - 05:22 AM

Yeah, even though I've played this forever ago and now doing my 2nd playthrough, the story seems lame as hell but I normally skip all the cutscenes and go from there.

I'm about a 1/3 through the story and I've already have about half extra life from the health shrines and at Face Level 5 .. so I'm getting there. I'm kicking ass with ease now.. I tend to play a bit better when drinking but for the life of me, this game gets really boring after about 30mins or so.. I tend to turn it off or just go to Netflix.

Dbns_Finest
  • Dbns_Finest

"Did I ever tell you the definition of insanity?"

• Members
  • South-Africa

Posted 11 January 2014 - 06:39 AM

I could never finish True Crime;Streets of LA....

The boss fights were crazy hard.
That boss fight on the top of the US bank tower was the sh*t, took me 50 tries but I beat that general kim bitch. True Crime LA was truly a gem of game. great melee, good stealth, max payne shooting system , need for speed driving and a branching story in which your actions determined your path

Misbegotten cad
  • Misbegotten cad

Prankster

• BUSTED!

Posted 11 January 2014 - 09:24 AM

I really love the radio stations in this game. They are a great change from your regular GTA/Saints row radio stations!

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Alcoholic Blues

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 12 January 2014 - 12:51 AM

I find myself listening to the Classical station the most honestly. Soothing and fits the theme I think..

Freakorama
  • Freakorama

Freako

• The Yardies
  • Australia

Posted 12 January 2014 - 08:12 AM Edited by Freakorama, 12 January 2014 - 08:13 AM.

I still haven't finished this game.

I got about as far as the wedding thing then gave up cause I wasn't having fun.
That was back at release month.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users