Quantcast

» «
Photo

Sleeping Dogs

141 replies to this topic

Poll: Is Sleeping Dogs worth playing? (140 member(s) have cast votes)

Is Sleeping Dogs worth playing?

1. Yes (103 votes [81.75%])

Percentage of vote: 81.75%

2. No (23 votes [18.25%])

Percentage of vote: 18.25%

Vote Guests cannot vote
G.S.T
  • G.S.T

U WOT M8

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 27 July 2013 - 12:30 PM

Just asking because I need a game to hold me over until GTA V comes along. Looking at footage of Sleeping Dogs, it does appear resemble GTA alot in terms of interface and gameplay. Would I like it or not?

lazy.
  • lazy.

could you PLEASE stop using that f*cking blue font?!

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 27 July 2013 - 12:50 PM

It's very short. Story can be completed in 2 days, and there's barely any sidemissions.

It'll last you about a week. Not only that but the driving is AWFUL. The game plays pretty smooth and fluid until you enter a vehicle! tounge.gif
  • tokyocean and nobum62 like this

theomenofficial
  • theomenofficial

I'm back as a changed man.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 27 July 2013 - 01:02 PM

DEFINITELY GET IT!
The story is way better than any GTA and freerunning is amazing.
The story is the best part of the game, it has no Multiplayer but there is a Multiplayer mod for PC. You can replay story missions on your phone. The story is like a Hong Kong action movie and the last few missions are the best part of the game. There is mostly hand-to-hand combat but there are guns in some parts as guns are a rarity in Hong Kong. I recently found out that you can press down on the D-Pad to take out your gun in free roam later in the game. The driving is alright but very arcadey.

Chris Fromage
  • Chris Fromage

Homie

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 27 July 2013 - 01:27 PM

Get it! It's amazing.

yes, the story is a bit short, but it has an amazing plot.

imo pro:
The graphics are very good,
the city is "alive",
awesome fight technics,
lot's of action,
great storyline,
environment attacks,
upgrades,
lot's of criminal activities,

contra:
Short story,
no multiplayer,

driving is ok in my opinion, but most people find it not good.

I am sure you would like it. It's a great game and you will not be bored at all. I enjoyed it more then GTA IV.

lazy.
  • lazy.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 27 July 2013 - 02:15 PM

Ignore what the above posters have said. It's a cheap short thrill that's all, it lacks any substance.

The free running isn't "amazing" at all. There's a few routes you can free run and all you actually do is tap x when you reach something. It's a bit like the "ivan the not so terrible" mission in IV. there's a decent bit of "free running" there but it's not something you point out when describing the game. It's certainly no mirror's edge in that regard.

Honestly it's a hand to hand arena fighting game with an open world, driving and shooting tacked on. Everything other than the hand to hand lacks any depth so unless you're a serious hand to hand fan, the game won't last you more than a week.

And about the story, it's okay but not something you should buy the game for. if you want the story, just watch a Let's Play.

Distrom
  • Distrom

Sodom

• Members
  • Venezuela

Posted 27 July 2013 - 02:21 PM

QUOTE (theomenofficial @ Saturday, Jul 27 2013, 09:02)
The story is way better than any GTA

You are over exagerating here.
Story Is short, and It's very cliché

freerunning is amazing.

It is indeed. but the transition between those freerunning animations are average, could have been better.

Mr. Sleepy
  • Mr. Sleepy

Infamous

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 27 July 2013 - 02:24 PM

The game is epic, I suggest you get it.
Story is really awesome, gameplay is pretty cool, the fighting mechanics are awesome, the driving is eh.

Chris Fromage
  • Chris Fromage

Homie

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 27 July 2013 - 02:36 PM

There is enough free running. you just have to find the right spots.

And the game is much more then hand to hand combat.
You should download a demo.
It contains to mission were you do different kind of actions like, interacting with some AI, a bit of free-running, small chaise, hand-to-hand combat, environmental attacks, melee attack, gun fights, hostages,...

No free-roam, but after you finished the demo, you will see a video with what the game has more. Just watch that video and you will see a lot of the possibilities in the game. It's too much to list them down here.

EDIT: Just found the video, in case you can't download the game.

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 27 July 2013 - 02:38 PM

I wasn't a fan.

-I did like how they handled the navigation while driving.
-I did not like how all the combat felt like pointless button mashing.

theomenofficial
  • theomenofficial

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 27 July 2013 - 02:41 PM Edited by theomenofficial, 27 July 2013 - 02:57 PM.

Ignore what LazyboyEight said, he's just mad because he got banned from the official forums. suicidal.gif
Yes, the story can be beaten in 2 days but what game can't be beaten in 2 days, it depends on your playstyle. I thought the story was LONG. And the story is meant to be cliche, it pays homage to a lot of Hong Kong action movies and the first trailer was even was in the style of a Hong Kong action movie. suicidal.gif
  • MadMugen likes this

Ferocious Banger
  • Ferocious Banger

Big Homie

• Members
  • India

Posted 27 July 2013 - 03:56 PM

Get it. You won't regret it. The game has a far better AI than in GTA IV and it also feels "livelt". Wei Shen is a badass motherf*cker; the story is great. I'm not even going to mention the combat because it just is amazing!

Also, there are plenty of side-activities and stuff to do! icon14.gif

But, don't ever get into a vehicle, you might probably trash your controller.

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 27 July 2013 - 04:20 PM

It's worth playing, but it's not worth buying. Rent it, complete it and give it back. It could be found on Ps Plus for free some time ago.

G.S.T
  • G.S.T

U WOT M8

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 27 July 2013 - 04:57 PM

Sorry Lazyboy, but most people have suggested I give it a go. I'll probably give it a rent at best, and buy the full game based on my thoughts.

Distrom
  • Distrom

Sodom

• Members
  • Venezuela

Posted 27 July 2013 - 05:34 PM

QUOTE (Gst0395 @ Saturday, Jul 27 2013, 12:57)
Sorry Lazyboy, but most people have suggested I give it a go. I'll probably give it a rent at best, and buy the full game based on my thoughts.

But do what Tycek said, don't buy it new, buy it used or rent it.

lazy.
  • lazy.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 27 July 2013 - 05:40 PM

Yep, rent is the best option. The game isn't complete sh*te but it's not worth a buy, it just lacks the substance.

A rent is a good choice though.

deathdealer
  • deathdealer

soon to be dead

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 July 2013 - 05:51 PM

buy it. It's a pretty fun game with a great story line. the driving is arcady but if you can handle the driving in the past gta games then this will not be a problem. the story is not as long as a typical freeroam game like gta but there is plenty of side content to play with like racing and gambling. plus, you can replay your favorite missions.

lazy.
  • lazy.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 27 July 2013 - 05:57 PM

QUOTE (deathdealer @ Saturday, Jul 27 2013, 17:51)
buy it. It's a pretty fun game with a great story line. the driving is arcady but if you can handle the driving in the past gta games then this will not be a problem. the story is not as long as a typical freeroam game like gta but there is plenty of side content to play with like racing and gambling. plus, you can replay your favorite missions.

Nah, 3 era driving was miles better than SD. SD is incredibly slow and just boring. In 3 era there was a lot more speed to it, it was better.

As for races, they were way too easy.

Detective Phelps
  • Detective Phelps

F*ck the 4th amendment!

• Members
  • United-States
  • Helpfulness Award [GTA V section - Reporting]

Posted 29 July 2013 - 01:43 PM

Get it, it's a very good game. The game has a very good soundtrack, excellent hand to hand combat and should keep you occupied until the 17th of September.

The story is quite short, but going around punching people in the market is fun tounge.gif

TartanArmy
  • TartanArmy

Player Hater

• BUSTED!

Posted 29 July 2013 - 01:49 PM

QUOTE (LazyboyEight @ Saturday, Jul 27 2013, 17:57)

Nah, 3 era driving was miles better than SD. SD is incredibly slow and just boring. In 3 era there was a lot more speed to it, it was better.

SLOW!!?? did you ever drive the sport cars such as the blast , tuorno (however you spell it) etc?

lazy.
  • lazy.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 29 July 2013 - 02:12 PM

QUOTE (TartanArmy @ Monday, Jul 29 2013, 13:49)
QUOTE (LazyboyEight @ Saturday, Jul 27 2013, 17:57)

SLOW!!?? did you ever drive the sport cars such as the blast , tuorno (however you spell it) etc?

Yes I did, they were slow. The only reason you thought they were fast is because of the fact the handling is just terrible full stop. You have to use circle and do a cheap powerslide just to turn a corner without stopping. GTA4 handling was miles better. You actually have a sense of speed, and it takes actual skill to drive at high speed and not spin out or crash.

Shenmue18
  • Shenmue18

Basketballs don't hold grudges.

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 29 July 2013 - 03:00 PM

I thought the game was good, I'd recommend picking it up since you're obviously a fan of sandbox games. The story is nice and it has a replay mission feature so you can go back and play your personal favorites, (GTA V, please do this.) quite a bit of mini games, collectables, side quests and just generally fun stuff for you to do. I loved the free running system as well which is always fun to mess around with.

NYC PATROL
  • NYC PATROL

"Patrolling and Observing Forums Since 2005"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 29 July 2013 - 04:06 PM

The story was fun but after that...I stopped playing.

^^ And you're in luck @ Shenmue18 , was confirmed in V you can replay missions wink.gif

TartanArmy
  • TartanArmy

Player Hater

• BUSTED!

Posted 29 July 2013 - 04:08 PM

Wei Shen is one of my favourite protaginasts ever.

DeafMetal
  • DeafMetal

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 29 July 2013 - 04:12 PM

Definitely worth getting. It's no GTA but it's one of the closest you get can to it.

Imo, as far as GTA-style games go:
GTA > Just Cause > Sleeping Dogs > The Godfather > Scarface > Saints Row > Mafia

Daz
  • Daz

Pirandello/Kruger

• Cyclop 9
  • None

Posted 30 July 2013 - 06:32 AM

QUOTE (LazyboyEight @ Saturday, Jul 27 2013, 12:50)
It's very short. Story can be completed in 2 days, and there's barely any sidemissions.

It'll last you about a week. Not only that but the driving is AWFUL. The game plays pretty smooth and fluid until you enter a vehicle! tounge.gif

To be fair, the driving is actually alot better than some other popular free roam games, it pisses all over the just cause 2 driving and especially saints row driving mechanics.

With GTAIV being the best, and just cause and saints row 2 driving being the worst, I would say it was in the middle, with LA Noire and Mafia II having a bit better driving physics.

It doesn't take away from the experience at all.

I felt the city was done very well, full of life and very authentic. The only downside to the game is I expected ALOT more shooting, even though alot of the guns are made up fake kind of awful looking things, the shooting mechanics were pretty good so I was dissapointed it didnt include more, and that you could only hold a pistol on you and there was no way to buy one or save one in a safehouse unless you killed a cop.

That said though, it is mostly driving and shooting and platforming, it does those well, it has decent fighting mechanics and you can easily plan exactly what you want to do.

As for the length I wouldnt say it was short at all, and there are more than enough side things to do, I wouldnt call them missions but there are collectibles (that thankfully are visible on the map when you have or havent got them which is handy) and there are hacking minigames and bug placing minigames that I think were actually pretty decent and fun, and there was the perfect amount of them, not too many to get annoyed with but not too little to wonder why the mechanic exists in game.

It just had a nice atmosphere and I really enjoyed the game way more than I expected to, I just had wished there was more emphasis on shooting with real life firearms and not the made up ones we got given that looked pretty awful and were very oversized.

There are a LOT of really cool innovative features in the game that give it more than enough credit. And with the game being more orientated around fighting it is not just another GTA clone, it is entirely something else.

It lasted me a week or two of playtime. And it was awesome while it lasted.
  • Th3MaN1 and MikeyBelic like this

Johan
  • Johan

• Members
  • Dominican-Republic

Posted 30 July 2013 - 06:38 AM

QUOTE (Tycek @ Saturday, Jul 27 2013, 12:20)
It's worth playing, but it's not worth buying. Rent it, complete it and give it back. It could be found on Ps Plus for free some time ago.

Exactly this, the game is good but not enough to have you waste 30+ dollars on it.. the story is really short and after you finish it there's barely anything to do as all events/races could be finished in literally less than 2 hours.

lazy.
  • lazy.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 30 July 2013 - 09:01 AM

QUOTE (Daz @ Tuesday, Jul 30 2013, 06:32)
QUOTE (LazyboyEight @ Saturday, Jul 27 2013, 12:50)

To be fair, the driving is actually alot better than some other popular free roam games, it pisses all over the just cause 2 driving and especially saints row driving mechanics.

With GTAIV being the best, and just cause and saints row 2 driving being the worst, I would say it was in the middle, with LA Noire and Mafia II having a bit better driving physics.

It doesn't take away from the experience at all.

I felt the city was done very well, full of life and very authentic. The only downside to the game is I expected ALOT more shooting, even though alot of the guns are made up fake kind of awful looking things, the shooting mechanics were pretty good so I was dissapointed it didnt include more, and that you could only hold a pistol on you and there was no way to buy one or save one in a safehouse unless you killed a cop.

That said though, it is mostly driving and shooting and platforming, it does those well, it has decent fighting mechanics and you can easily plan exactly what you want to do.

As for the length I wouldnt say it was short at all, and there are more than enough side things to do, I wouldnt call them missions but there are collectibles (that thankfully are visible on the map when you have or havent got them which is handy) and there are hacking minigames and bug placing minigames that I think were actually pretty decent and fun, and there was the perfect amount of them, not too many to get annoyed with but not too little to wonder why the mechanic exists in game.

It just had a nice atmosphere and I really enjoyed the game way more than I expected to, I just had wished there was more emphasis on shooting with real life firearms and not the made up ones we got given that looked pretty awful and were very oversized.

There are a LOT of really cool innovative features in the game that give it more than enough credit. And with the game being more orientated around fighting it is not just another GTA clone, it is entirely something else.

It lasted me a week or two of playtime. And it was awesome while it lasted.

I thought Just Cause 2 had way better driving than Sleeping Dogs, you couldn't just hold R2 and watch your car slowly stroll along the motorway, in JC2 you had to actually steer, it fun to drive in JC2.

And "Saints Row" driving mechanics can't be grouped into one. Saints Row 1 and 2 had a set of driving mechanics, and SR3 changed them.

Now SR2 had better driving than SR3, I'd say better than Sleeping Dogs as well. The cars weren't fast on the motorway, sure, but if you're driving an Attrazione through the city, the cars at least reacted to the sliding and to the environment.

For me, SD's driving took away from the experience a lot. The driving was just extremely bland, and the vehicle sounds were terrible as well. Instead of actual gears, you just had a looping sound of a gear shift over and over and over and over again. High speeds were not satisfying at all. SR2 and JC2 had actual gears that don't go on forever.

Yes, the fighting was good and the shooting okay, but imo the game is a linear fighting game with everything else tacked on so they could call it "open world". It's a decent game to do a playthrough of every once and a while but beyond that it's nowhere near as good as GTA 4, SR2 or JC2.

theomenofficial
  • theomenofficial

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 30 July 2013 - 09:09 AM

IMO the story is definitely better and more engaging than JC2, SR or GTA IV.

lazy.
  • lazy.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 30 July 2013 - 09:38 AM

QUOTE (theomenofficial @ Tuesday, Jul 30 2013, 09:09)

Who cares about a story? If I wanted a story I could watch a "Let's Play".

We're talking about the GAMEPLAY here, not a series of cutscenes and dialogue. The story of GTA4 could just be going to Tesco for some toilet roll, I'd still find the game much better than Sleeping Dogs.

android
  • android

Something witty, something sh*tty

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None
  • Best Mobile OS

Posted 30 July 2013 - 09:53 AM

QUOTE (theomenofficial @ Tuesday, Jul 30 2013, 04:09)

Yeah, cause Breaking Bad is the best TV show too lol.gif

This game wasn't great tbh, I sent it back to GameFly in under a day.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users