My opinion on female protagonists in GTA V

199 replies to this topic
Mr. Sleepy
  • Mr. Sleepy

Infamous

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:26 AM

QUOTE (Gr0veStG33k @ Monday, Jul 29 2013, 12:19)
QUOTE (Sleepy187. @ Monday, Jul 29 2013, 09:12)

The only people who haven't matured enough are people like you.
We simply don't want a female protag in GTA, get the f*ck over it.

Maturity at its best right here

SO, you speak as if YOU are everyone and since you said it, it shall be. I'm sorry. I didn't realize you controlled this post. rolleyes.gif
Some people don't mind the thought of a female protagonist SO you SIR, get the f*ck over it.

Did I say that I am speaking in the name of everyone, I was speaking in the name of those who do not want a female protag in GTA.

And some people mind the thought of a female protagonist and read f*cking clearly: IN GTA, so you get the f*ck over it.

redx165
  • redx165

Making the GTA fanboys dance

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:29 AM

QUOTE (Sleepy187. @ Monday, Jul 29 2013, 09:26)

SO, you speak as if YOU are everyone and since you said it, it shall be. I'm sorry. I didn't realize you controlled this post. rolleyes.gif
Some people don't mind the thought of a female protagonist SO you SIR, get the f*ck over it.

Did I say that I am speaking in the name of everyone, I was speaking in the name of those who do not want a female protag in GTA.

And some people mind the thought of a female protagonist and read f*cking clearly: IN GTA, so you get the f*ck over it.

I have new found respect for you. I just don't understand when we clearly say why we don't want female protagonist they just attack us either saying we're sexist or a child.

Dr Zoidburg
  • Dr Zoidburg

woop woop woop!

• BUSTED!

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:31 AM

QUOTE (redx165 @ Monday, Jul 29 2013, 09:25)
@ Dr Zoidburg I don't understand what this has to do with the topic? This isn't about me and my girl but about if people want to play as a female.

Are you The New Blueguy?

BlackNoise
  • BlackNoise

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:31 AM

If R* continues with this multiple protagonist format, we'll see one at some point. I wouldn't mind, but her back story better make sense for a game like GTA. She would need to be a tough female, so her past should be pretty crazy. A MMA background or something similar would make it more believable as well.

redx165
  • redx165

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:33 AM Edited by redx165, 29 July 2013 - 09:37 AM.

QUOTE (Dr Zoidburg @ Monday, Jul 29 2013, 09:31)
@ Dr Zoidburg I don't understand what this has to do with the topic? This isn't about me and my girl but about if people want to play as a female.

Are you The New Blueguy?

Well were you talking to me since I had blue text?

Edit: Oh I see who you were talking about. My mistake biggrin.gif

Dr Zoidburg
  • Dr Zoidburg

woop woop woop!

• BUSTED!

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:37 AM

QUOTE (redx165 @ Monday, Jul 29 2013, 09:33)

Are you The New Blueguy?

No. Im talking to the guy who started this thread.

redx165
  • redx165

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:39 AM

QUOTE (Dr Zoidburg @ Monday, Jul 29 2013, 09:37)
QUOTE (redx165 @ Monday, Jul 29 2013, 09:33)

Are you The New Blueguy?

No. Im talking to the guy who started this thread.

Like I said before My mistake.

Sometimes people call me by my Text Color.

Twiggy123
  • Twiggy123

HNIC of the NN

• Members

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:46 AM

Can you all just stop now? This thread is just full of asshattery. The people that are for a female protagonist are tools who put women on a pedestal, feminists who think every protagonist should be female or have their heads so far stuck up their asses they can see what food they ate today. The people who are against a female protagonist are bullheaded, unintelligent, or blatantly sexist. Honestly both sides are filled with adolescent garbage and it's tiring to know it goes on without some sort of reality check in place, so here it is.

The proponents and opponents are both equally childish and foolish and it's time to stop this nonsense. Nobody cares if there could have been a female protagonist in GTA V, there just f*cking isn't and no amount of whining or name calling is going to f*cking change it. Now, if there happens to BE a female protagonist in a future installment of GTA then, again, there just f*cking is and no amount of whining and name calling is going to f*cking change that either. Rockstar doesn't put main characters in as a specific race or gender unless it fits the narrative they have wrote and that is fact. There is no proof of the contrary and you won't ever find any.

Gr0veStG33k
  • Gr0veStG33k

-LQ- R1D3R

• Members

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:52 AM

[/QUOTE]
I find it strange that you think there are the same or more females that play this game than males. Go play any online game and ask anyone with a mic to talk most likely they're going to be a male. Age is different. Gaming has and most likely always going to have more male gamers than female gamers.

Just cause your wife/girl is a female doesn't mean they like gaming. I know a lot of females you can't stand gaming. When I was younger my mom would say are you playing baby games.

Sure they steal, kill, and sell dope but most of the time a male does more.

Plus one very important fact that you and lots of other people can't get through their skulls. Some people just don't enjoy playing as a female. If they don't then LEAVE them alone.

@ Dr Zoidburg I don't understand what this has to do with the topic? This isn't about me and my girl but about if people want to play as a female. I don't cause I don't feel like I can connect the same way I can with a male. If they have a choice so be it but I don't want to be forced to play as one.

A. I never said more females play this game than males. What I said was you have no way of knowing without taking a poll of some sort. Going online and asking still isn't a fair way of doing so, won't get accurate results. Because what about those who don't get online.

B. A lot of males I know don't like gaming, and your point is what? I know a lot of females who play GTA.

C. Why? Because of what you see on TV? Because where I'm from, the women are out working hard and the men are sitting on their behinds. That includes selling dope, working a full time jobs etc I know plenty woman who'll run a knife through you as soon as look at you.

What a lot of you anti-female protag fail to realize is that this is a forum, and this thread was a discussion about said matter and just like you are free to post in this thread about your displeasure about having a female as a main character in GTA, there will be those who will that aren't against that prospect. And you should at least be respectful of what you post. THAT is what I was getting at. I understand you may not want to play as one, but some of this stuff wasn't called for. I said what I thought about it and as far as this topic goes, I am done because this is a train wreck waiting to happen. See you all in LS.

ucah8er
  • ucah8er

SRS I

• Members

Posted 29 July 2013 - 10:06 AM

QUOTE (Twiggy123 @ Monday, Jul 29 2013, 09:46)
Can you all just stop now? This thread is just full of asshattery. The people that are for a female protagonist are tools who put women on a pedestal, feminists who think every protagonist should be female or have their heads so far stuck up their asses they can see what food they ate today. The people who are against a female protagonist are bullheaded, unintelligent, or blatantly sexist. Honestly both sides are filled with adolescent garbage and it's tiring to know it goes on without some sort of reality check in place, so here it is.

The proponents and opponents are both equally childish and foolish and it's time to stop this nonsense. Nobody cares if there could have been a female protagonist in GTA V, there just f*cking isn't and no amount of whining or name calling is going to f*cking change it. Now, if there happens to BE a female protagonist in a future installment of GTA then, again, there just f*cking is and no amount of whining and name calling is going to f*cking change that either. Rockstar doesn't put main characters in as a specific race or gender unless it fits the narrative they have wrote and that is fact. There is no proof of the contrary and you won't ever find any.

This. This so much. What a great post!

icon14.gif

redx165
  • redx165

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 29 July 2013 - 10:19 AM

QUOTE (Gr0veStG33k @ Monday, Jul 29 2013, 09:52)
[QUOTE=redx165,Monday, Jul 29 2013, 09:25] [/QUOTE]
I find it strange that you think there are the same or more females that play this game than males. Go play any online game and ask anyone with a mic to talk most likely they're going to be a male. Age is different. Gaming has and most likely always going to have more male gamers than female gamers.

Just cause your wife/girl is a female doesn't mean they like gaming. I know a lot of females you can't stand gaming. When I was younger my mom would say are you playing baby games.

Sure they steal, kill, and sell dope but most of the time a male does more.

Plus one very important fact that you and lots of other people can't get through their skulls. Some people just don't enjoy playing as a female. If they don't then LEAVE them alone.

@ Dr Zoidburg I don't understand what this has to do with the topic? This isn't about me and my girl but about if people want to play as a female. I don't cause I don't feel like I can connect the same way I can with a male. If they have a choice so be it but I don't want to be forced to play as one.
[/QUOTE]
A. I never said more females play this game than males. What I said was you have no way of knowing without taking a poll of some sort. Going online and asking still isn't a fair way of doing so, won't get accurate results. Because what about those who don't get online.

B. A lot of males I know don't like gaming, and your point is what? I know a lot of females who play GTA.

C. Why? Because of what you see on TV? Because where I'm from, the women are out working hard and the men are sitting on their behinds. That includes selling dope, working a full time jobs etc I know plenty woman who'll run a knife through you as soon as look at you.

What a lot of you anti-female protag fail to realize is that this is a forum, and this thread was a discussion about said matter and just like you are free to post in this thread about your displeasure about having a female as a main character in GTA, there will be those who will that aren't against that prospect. And you should at least be respectful of what you post. THAT is what I was getting at. I understand you may not want to play as one, but some of this stuff wasn't called for. I said what I thought about it and as far as this topic goes, I am done because this is a train wreck waiting to happen. See you all in LS.

Most PS3 owners and 360 owners are online. Maybe 2/3 while 1/3 isn't. Checking online is a great result cause that's what more people play nowadays. It's only going to get bigger seeing how PS4 and Xbone is focusing more on online games. Now they're making just online games ( TitanFall )

There's a good number of both Males and Females that play games. Yet you will always see more male gamers than female. Go on youtube and see different youtubers and see which is more Male or female? Male is always leading the way. There are females but nothing compared to males.

I could say the same about any male. They will shoot you if you say one word to them. ( It's proven that males are stronger than females. That's why males defend females in the wild and when man was cavemen.)

I don't want to play as one but I wouldn't mind if it was another Multiple Protagonists maybe a brother/sister relationship.

The thing is most of the people I see that want a female protagonist is just for her body. That's it.

richard1997jones
  • richard1997jones

Homie

• Members

Posted 29 July 2013 - 10:27 AM

Next gta will probably have a female protagonists. In IV multiplayer had female protagonists.

Cazzer14
  • Cazzer14

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 29 July 2013 - 11:57 AM

It'll be difficult for R* to implement a female lead, because the criminal world is one dominated by men, always has been always will be, lets face it. Have you ever heard of any woman rising up in the Street Gangs of LA? Or Biker Gangs? I haven't, but I'm no expert.

In the mob it may be a little more common, I know in GTA IV there was a female mob boss (of the Messinas, I think?) but she was only a leader, not a soldier, which is what we need our leads to be. So all in all if R* can make a decent, sensible, plausible story for a female lead I'm all for it, but it'll be difficult to do so and that's why I think there won't be a female lead in a GTA for at least a while yet.

Kiebagged
  • Kiebagged

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 29 July 2013 - 01:25 PM

Here are some facts:
Only 15% of serial killers are females
Only 5% of the prison population are women
The average man is 5'10" and weighs 130 - 150lbs
The average woman is 5'4" and weighs 120lbs

As you can see, women are far less involved with the criminal underworld than men are. Look at every species of animal on Earth, the female animal will stay at home and feed the offspring while the male animal does the hunting, this is also also true for Humans, it is unnatural for women to be involved with violent acts. And you can also see that the average man is taller and stronger than the average woman, so obviously a woman would never be able to fight of the average man, so it wouldn't be very immersive if you were playing as a woman in GTA while fighting of men with your bare hands. Also, woman don't even sound as tough as men, when a man shouts it can scare people because of how deep it is, but when a woman shouts it doesn't have the same effect. This is not sexist, by the way. Their is a difference between being sexist and accepting basic facts. And the only time I hear of women murdering people, it's in pathetic ways like drowning their kids in the bath.

And don't start saying "Oh, but women can do anything a man do, wah wah wah!" because they can't, why do you think that women have NEVER been allowed to serve on the front lines in wars? Also, have you ever seen a fight between 2 women? All that hair pulling and slapping in brutal, but it's nothing to when 2 men fight.

I simply wouldn't buy GTA if the woman was the only protagonist, I want to be able to relate to my character and be immersed and when I'm playing as a woman, all my immersion goes straight out the window. A female character wouldn't fit into a GTA game, EVER. It just wouldn't make any sense and Rockstar knows this, they won't add a female protagonist because they know that their market is dominated by males who don't want to be prancing around as a petite female. It's hard to make a serious game with a female without it turning into "You go sister! yeah feminism!" all the f*cking time.

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 29 July 2013 - 03:15 PM Edited by 2041758, 29 July 2013 - 03:18 PM.

Unless they have an honest reason to tell a woman's story, Rockstar aren't going to insert a shoddily-written female protagonist in a game JUST to include a woman. It would be so utterly painful if this game had a fourth protagonist who was female. It would come across spectacularly forced and out-of-place.

This thread is proof of what I have long feared. It's literally getting to the point that the PC drones will protest anything that has no women. Bathrooms, fraternities, men's clubs and all-male sports are next.

gtafaninwest
  • gtafaninwest

Snitch

• Members

Posted 29 July 2013 - 07:04 PM

QUOTE (redx165 @ Monday, Jul 29 2013, 09:29)
QUOTE (Sleepy187. @ Monday, Jul 29 2013, 09:26)

I have new found respect for you. I just don't understand when we clearly say why we don't want female protagonist they just attack us either saying we're sexist or a child.

And I'm a proud sexist.

Mr_Goldcard
  • Mr_Goldcard

Homie

• Members

Posted 29 July 2013 - 07:10 PM

Because women belong in the kitchen

lucid121
  • lucid121

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 30 July 2013 - 02:56 PM

QUOTE (infiniteammo @ Monday, Jul 29 2013, 11:47)
I'm certainly very pleased at the mature and well versed responses this thread got. >.> Now that I've got my sarcasm going...

I bemoaned having to play CJ before San Andreas hit, I couldn't see myself identifying with him in any way, but after playing it, it's hands down my favorite Grand Theft Auto to date.

I guess most of you don't recall the first Grand Theft Auto, which had multiple protagonists, a couple of which were female. But yeah, been there, done that. Would enjoy the hell out of it again if Rockstar Games decided to take us there.

For the most part when I play GTAIV or Max Payne 3 online, my multiplayer characters are female, for one I don't want to be staring at digital man ass for hours on end as I teabag everyone, but hey... if that's your thing. By all means...

Ironically enough most of the women I know that play IV or MP3 still, almost exclusively use male avatars. *shrugs* Just an observation.

Racist.

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Sax & Violins

• The Connection
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 30 July 2013 - 03:11 PM

QUOTE (Kiebagged @ Monday, Jul 29 2013, 14:25)
Here are some facts:
Only 15% of serial killers are females
Only 5% of the prison population are women
The average man is 5'10" and weighs 130 - 150lbs
The average woman is 5'4" and weighs 120lbs

As you can see, women are far less involved with the criminal underworld than men are. Look at every species of animal on Earth, the female animal will stay at home and feed the offspring while the male animal does the hunting, this is also also true for Humans, it is unnatural for women to be involved with violent acts. And you can also see that the average man is taller and stronger than the average woman, so obviously a woman would never be able to fight of the average man, so it wouldn't be very immersive if you were playing as a woman in GTA while fighting of men with your bare hands. Also, woman don't even sound as tough as men, when a man shouts it can scare people because of how deep it is, but when a woman shouts it doesn't have the same effect. This is not sexist, by the way. Their is a difference between being sexist and accepting basic facts. And the only time I hear of women murdering people, it's in pathetic ways like drowning their kids in the bath.

And don't start saying "Oh, but women can do anything a man do, wah wah wah!" because they can't, why do you think that women have NEVER been allowed to serve on the front lines in wars? Also, have you ever seen a fight between 2 women? All that hair pulling and slapping in brutal, but it's nothing to when 2 men fight.

I simply wouldn't buy GTA if the woman was the only protagonist, I want to be able to relate to my character and be immersed and when I'm playing as a woman, all my immersion goes straight out the window. A female character wouldn't fit into a GTA game, EVER. It just wouldn't make any sense and Rockstar knows this, they won't add a female protagonist because they know that their market is dominated by males who don't want to be prancing around as a petite female. It's hard to make a serious game with a female without it turning into "You go sister! yeah feminism!" all the f*cking time.

I pretty much agree with all your sentiments on the matter particularly about the immersion part. I'm all for some strong female characters in the game. Maybe a boss you can work for could be nice as a female.

i'm not entirely convinced as to why all these young men want to play as females. What is the attraction?

I just couldn't see myself, jumping over car bonnets, pulling guys out of cars, punching them in the face and actually taking the thing seriously.

I'm not against a game with a female protag. The theme for me would have to focus on a woman trying to survive in a male dominated criminal underworld. It would have to be very humane and deal with serious feminist issues. I couldn't play a game where the girl is just an outright badass and somehow is able to be physically powerful and agile with with weapons like other GTA protags. If there was a female pro tag with attributes like a previous male GTA character, she'd most likely be lesbian or asexual tomboy type. She's have to have had some sort of interest in mainly male-centric things like cars, guns etc. So any of you horny teens just looking for some digital pixel porn would be quite delusional as it would just be insanely unbelievable to be running around with a pretty blonde cracking skulls.

GeneticallyDifferent
  • GeneticallyDifferent

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 30 July 2013 - 03:32 PM

QUOTE (ThePinkFloydSound @ Tuesday, Jul 30 2013, 17:11)
I'm not entirely convinced as to why all these young men want to play as females. What is the attraction?

I don't get it too and I agree with you guys.
I'm fine with female characters (such as Lara Croft) but it just feels unrealistic to have a female protagonist in GTA.
Sure,maybe a woman could do all that but we have to look generally and as mentioned before criminal world is ruled 99% by men.
There are clear distinctions between the genders and I don't get this "women are equal as men" sh*t.Sure they should have the same rights etc. but there are clear differences that should not be ignored.Violence and chaos are men thing.

Guys if you want to look at asses and tits there are plenty xxx sites,not to mention real life...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users