Photo

My opinion on female protagonists in GTA V

199 replies to this topic
Enterprise
  • Enterprise

Trick

• Members

Posted 27 July 2013 - 01:19 PM

i have always this weird thought that most of the people just want to wank off to some 3D pixel lol

Smaaske
  • Smaaske

Gangsta

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 27 July 2013 - 01:21 PM

How many little babies in here, grow the f*ck up! icon13.gif

I found the response of Leslie Benzies ridiculous what he said about having a female protagonist, I'd believe R* won't make male protagonist forever including the upcoming title. Talking about GTA, I was thinking that in every game R* has created all protagonist are male. Hopefully in the next GTA there will be atleast one female protagonist.

RetroMutt
  • RetroMutt

Coyote

• Members

Posted 27 July 2013 - 01:22 PM

QUOTE (Enterprise @ Saturday, Jul 27 2013, 13:19)
i have always this weird thought that most of the people just want to wank off to some 3D pixel lol

Well not me...

For obvious reasons xD

kesta195
  • kesta195

L.S.P.D.

• Members

Posted 27 July 2013 - 01:23 PM

This thread really wasn't needed, and I hate the fact that I am made to feel sexist because I don't want a female protagonist.

Cylan
  • Cylan

High-Functioning Sociopath

• Members

Posted 27 July 2013 - 01:30 PM

Samus turned into fap material after her appearance in Brawl. I wish Nintendo had never even had her take off her helmet, or revealed her gender.

Lightning from Final Fantasy XIII had almost no feminine personality traits.

That bit about Bioware wanting to tell the story from FemShep's point of view primarily is opinion and it could easily be argued the other way. I've played the ME trilogy numerous times with male and female characters and taken away equal satisfaction from both genders.

In my personal opinion, which you, the reader, are free to disagree with, Rockstar probably won't ever do a story with a female lead, and if they do, I hope they're kinda like Bonnie McFarlane. Her and Abigail Marston are both examples of well done female characters.

icklydicklydook
  • icklydicklydook

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 27 July 2013 - 01:38 PM

Whatever. Looks like its impossible to argue against this one. However, no matter how hard you try, a female protagonist will always exhibit masculine qualities and appear "butch" and "tough". I guess femininity has gone out of fashion.

What if, instead, you had a female criminal mastermind who did all the planning, and you played as the thug? That would be more interesting and believable

icklydicklydook
  • icklydicklydook

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 27 July 2013 - 01:42 PM

QUOTE (Cylan @ Saturday, Jul 27 2013, 13:30)
Samus turned into fap material after her appearance in Brawl. I wish Nintendo had never even had her take off her helmet, or revealed her gender.

That bit about Bioware wanting to tell the story from FemShep's point of view primarily is opinion and it could easily be argued the other way. I've played the ME trilogy numerous times with male and female characters and taken away equal satisfaction from both genders.

In my personal opinion, which you, the reader, are free to disagree with, Rockstar probably won't ever do a story with a female lead, and if they do, I hope they're kinda like Bonnie McFarlane. Her and Abigail Marston are both examples of well done female characters.

Oh no, Bonnie and Abigail were terrible characters. They were feminine, liked men, and stayed at the home. We need short haired bull dykes kicking men in the balls; yes those would be good characters

Cylan
  • Cylan

High-Functioning Sociopath

• Members

Posted 27 July 2013 - 01:51 PM

QUOTE (icklydicklydook @ Saturday, Jul 27 2013, 13:42)
QUOTE (Cylan @ Saturday, Jul 27 2013, 13:30)

Oh no, Bonnie and Abigail were terrible characters. They were feminine, liked men, and stayed at the home. We need short haired bull dykes kicking men in the balls; yes those would be good characters

Hah, I haven't seen the word bulldyke in forever. icon14.gif

Mr. Sleepy
  • Mr. Sleepy

Infamous

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 27 July 2013 - 02:08 PM

The only immature people I see here are the ones who keep on insulting players who wouldn't like to play as females, grow up.
The only insecure people about their gender I see are the ones who desperately want to play as the opposite gender, grow up.

I have NOTHING AT ALL against females in video games, but I prefer to play as a male in GTA, how am I a sexist, insecure, immature prick?

davetopper
  • davetopper

Playa

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 July 2013 - 02:13 PM

QUOTE (The New Blueguy @ Saturday, Jul 27 2013, 00:53)
QUOTE (CSM. HB J-DOGG @ Friday, Jul 26 2013, 17:49)
Why hurt sales for feminist movement. I honestly dont care to play as a female protag in GTA. I was born a Man I dont want nor care to know how a woman feels.  I have a wife I put up with her and my daughters mood swings. No need to experience them on a game. I honestly think it might hurt sals in the USA. Volition gave in to the younger crowd movement with SRTT and SRIV . Now they are pulling the plug on the series .

This just proves you have no idea what you're talking about, man. Every time I see you guys use the term 'feminist movement' I cringe a little more. I'm not talking about women's rights. Hell, that girl's IGN blog post wasn't even talking about feminism and women's rights. It's not a frickin' political statement to want to play as a female character. And if you really do have a wife and daughters with that attitude, you're only hurting yourself. I am married, but if I was blessed with daughters, I wouldn't be sitting there talking about their mood swings and getting sh*t from my wife. Also, if you don't care to know how a woman feels, why get married? That's some dangerously bottled up sh*t right there.

^that, talk about being wired with a head on straight. Some of the thoughts here have been absolutely shallow about this idea.

It isn't about a woman being macho or the players insecurities in that regard ( obvious ) it is about a womans strengths. Why can't they get by that? They're white and played a black guy. I suppose some had initial issues with that, but even so SA has its fans. I didn't care for it because the AI and game issues.

As for a female protag. Comes back to the point of why not? Which I think is just that. And it isn't a pushed feminist movement either ( see Misandry what a hoot ) but about a story line and arc.

Would it work in a GTA game, of course it would.

ArizonaHellRyder
  • ArizonaHellRyder

Vice President of the Vagos MC

• Members

Posted 27 July 2013 - 02:22 PM

To me, it is not about the character you play.it is the story that the character is involved in. R* stories normally use male protagonists due to the extreme nature of them. Most of GTa is tailored towards a male protagonist, so putting a female in the mix would seem very unnatural.

R* will only make a female protagonist if they have a story tailored to that character.

Noclue_42
  • Noclue_42

How much for the ape?!

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 27 July 2013 - 08:57 PM

QUOTE (RetroMutt @ Saturday, Jul 27 2013, 13:07)
QUOTE (FutoDriver @ Saturday, Jul 27 2013, 12:30)
QUOTE (Noclue_42 @ Saturday, Jul 27 2013, 12:02)

so maybe 100 or whatever females do crime and people be like OH LOOK WOMEN DO CRIME JUST ASWELL

Why do people jump BEFORE getting facts? Just watch that video, and see it's a lot bigger than you perceive it as. I was debating your statement. I provided evidence to show why the statement provided was false.

Have respect, and broaden your horizons and mind.

Agreed, some of the women I hear about are tougher than most of the men around them

I bet this dude also thinks women can't be head of the house hold and that a woman should know her place in the kitchen hah. If a man ever said that to my mom, he would be have his ass handed to him

@ futo

I tried to generalize to make you understand. how many men commit crimes and kill people? and how many women do that? >_>
pls...stop it...you ought to catch the drift by now....even if you're stubborn

@ retro....you bet you'd know what I think?...oh bad start homie..bad start

you know sh*t about me...I work with 90 % females around me. my boss ladies' boss is a lady etc. I LOVE females and respect them and while I'm not too content with women trying to be all OH WE WANT SAME RIGHTS, I'M pretty open minded and give credit where credit is due, also to females....

All I say is women shouldn't kill people/commit crimes, they give BIRTH and if there's such a thing called love..it's the women who can set it free. it's bad enough men have to kill each other...women shouldn't follow that stupid example.

OT:...just talking about this issue is annoying ...too many judgmental people can't even follow the argumentation and misinterpret what has been said because of personal flaws or whatever.

Tricia instead of Trevor....female country girl cooking meth flying choppers taking people hostage, torturing them, beating people up in the street, hijacking cars, going to strip clubs...yeah...TOTALLY LEGIT....R* HOW YOU AIN'T MADE A FEMALE PROTAG YET? I might cancel my pre-order....

redx165
  • redx165

Making the GTA fanboys dance

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 27 July 2013 - 08:59 PM

QUOTE (Sleepy187. @ Saturday, Jul 27 2013, 14:08)
The only immature people I see here are the ones who keep on insulting players who wouldn't like to play as females, grow up.
The only insecure people about their gender I see are the ones who desperately want to play as the opposite gender, grow up.

I have NOTHING AT ALL against females in video games, but I prefer to play as a male in GTA, how am I a sexist, insecure, immature prick?

You deserve a cookie cookie.gif

JCX1992
  • JCX1992

Merry Xmas !!

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 July 2013 - 09:31 PM

Female protagonists don't belong in GTA. Only a fruit cake would want to play as a woman in a game, The End.

freak19930
  • freak19930

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 27 July 2013 - 09:59 PM

Sure it could work, but it wouldn't add anything except for providing a few different plot points. Let's say we are playing as a big tough girl, one that is completely equal to men (Like Fem Shep) . What would it change? The only thing that would change is that we might be playing as a gay man that just happens to have boobs and a vagina. That wouldn't really add anything.

shattered-minds
  • shattered-minds

Lovely chap

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 27 July 2013 - 11:23 PM Edited by shattered-minds, 27 July 2013 - 11:27 PM.

Personally, I'm all for it. It would make a refreshing change. People say the story should dictate the character, which is true to a point but its not a one way street. The example of FemShep (also my favourite of he two) is a good one, the story doesn't change due to her gender and neither should it have. Well written and likeable characters are what drive a story and keep people interested and by no means does gender play a part in that.

Despite what it seems some people here believe, women don't just talk about babies, periods,marriage and what Tracy has had done to her hair this month and there are some writers out there that can write strong, complex, believable and relatable woman shockingly, one of the best is male! (Joss Whedon, see: Buffy, Willow, Faith, Cordelia (in Angel) River Tam and more recently Black Widow in Avengers) arguably any one of those could have been male and that's exactly the point: a pair of tits and a vagina does not less of a person make.

There are also plenty of people out there that do enjoy a game with female leads. despite not meeting Square Enix's ridiculous targets, the recent Tomb Raider sold brilliantly well and garnered good reviews. You could argue that Ellie in The Last of Us was a lead you even play as her in parts, that didn't seem to put people off of that game. in factt one her parts was one if the most powerful and she's only what, 14?

I can understand people not choosing female avatars online and the like as they represent you and are an extension of yourself as such but in a story where you're playing as the character and not yourself, I don't see the problem.

In reality we don't know why rockstar haven't written a female lead yet. It could be anything from not feeling they could do a female lead justice, or a fear of it being shunned by the dudebro market. Who knows, but I wouldn't be too surprised if they had a female lead in one if their future games.

Anyway sorry for the essay, I just thought a well written post deserved an appropriate response.

CSM. HB J-DOGG
  • CSM. HB J-DOGG

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 27 July 2013 - 11:35 PM

QUOTE (kesta195 @ Saturday, Jul 27 2013, 13:23)
This thread really wasn't needed, and I hate the fact that I am made to feel sexist because I don't want a female protagonist.

icon14.gif This

Revolution-XW
  • Revolution-XW

LuisWayne

• Members

Posted 27 July 2013 - 11:37 PM

QUOTE (CSM. HB J-DOGG @ Saturday, Jul 27 2013, 23:35)

icon14.gif This

I blame the mods for not locking it, though. I've reported the thread already but nothing happens.

Like I said, it's like a console war, they'll just keep flaming each other back and forth.

CSM. HB J-DOGG
  • CSM. HB J-DOGG

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 27 July 2013 - 11:43 PM

QUOTE (Revolution-XW @ Saturday, Jul 27 2013, 23:37)
QUOTE (CSM. HB J-DOGG @ Saturday, Jul 27 2013, 23:35)

icon14.gif This

I blame the mods for not locking it, though. I've reported the thread already but nothing happens.

Like I said, it's like a console war, they'll just keep flaming each other back and forth.

I know Right. I am Sexist because I dont want to play as a chick in GTA nor do I want my sons playing as chicks in GTA. I dont want my Little girl play GTA at all at least not at the age she is now . When she gets 16-17 and can fully understand right from wrong then maybe. I am sexist because I believe a Real Man should man up and lead his house hold and do what it takes to be the breadwinner. Fact is this topic will divide the GTA fan base which is a clear indication on why it is a bad Idea at this time.

meson1
  • meson1

Soldier

• Members

Posted 27 July 2013 - 11:44 PM

QUOTE (kesta195 @ Saturday, Jul 27 2013, 14:23)

It's okay to not want a female protag. The problem comes when people express that sentiment by using stereotypical sexist bigotry. You're fine so long as you're stating your opposition to the idea in a considered intelligent manner.

Blaherman
  • Blaherman

Thug

• Members

Posted 28 July 2013 - 04:42 AM

Wanna know the reason most developers stay away from female leads? because nobody gives two f*cks about it, also the entirety of most writing coding scripting and artist teams are male and not alot of women are trying to get into the world of game development. I don't like playing as a female either.

lucid121
  • lucid121

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 28 July 2013 - 07:41 AM

I want to rob a bank, not a kitchen.

Kiebagged
  • Kiebagged

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 28 July 2013 - 12:04 PM

I don't want a female protagonist in GTA because it's just not fitting. Women simply aren't as violent as men, and if you say otherwise you're wrong unfortunately. To see a women running around with a huge gun robbing banks wouldn't make much sense, I mean how often do you hear of men murdering people and robbing people? Now, how often do you hear of women murdering and robbing people? Barely ever. Women are equal to men in intelligence, but physically and mentally, we're not equal. On average men are taller, bigger and stronger than women, so to see a women take down huge gang members wouldn't be possible without it being obvious feminist female empowerment crap. Women do NOT fit in with the criminal underworld, it's as simple as that. However, GTA V will also include female police officers this time, which I'm actually happy about because it just makes it more realistic. Another reason GTA will never include a lead female protagonist is because the GTA market is dominated by males who only want male characters, the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. I personally don't want a female protagonist because I like to relate to the main character and by changing the gender it makes it harder for me because I'm not a female and if Rockstar does include a woman protagonist I just know that it's going to turn into total feminist propaganda. I would definitely still buy the game, but I would get it on PC later and get a male model the character.

Who fought the best wars? men,
Who make the best murderers? Men,
Who invented the plague? men,
We got it ALL, b*tch! We run this show, and I don't give a f*ck who knows it!
-Judge Grady, GTA IV

Sorry if I am sounding sexist by saying that women are smaller than men, but that's a basic fact and everyone knows it, and I'm not saying that a woman couldn't kick my ass because most of them could.

doublehelix
  • doublehelix

Thug

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 July 2013 - 12:19 PM

Why wouldn't it work....

Because a woman couldn't do it - no
Because the majority of gamers are male - no
Because its unrealistic - no
Because it doesn't fit the satirised humorous hyper macho angle embedded deep in the DNA of the GTA franchise - yes

A lot of peoples reasons against a female protag are just dumb, juvenile and sexist tbh but they don't need to be, because frankly GTA is already kind of a pastiché on some of these very sentiments. That's why their female characters are either, girlfriends, hookers, damsels in distress or crazy irrational bitches, its not because the Housers are simple minded mysogonists, they just have a particular formula in mind, men are heavily stereotyped as well for example.

I'm willing to keep an open mind however as we move forward into an era of DLC, multiple protagonist and the quest for new ideas and originality. icon14.gif

sironen
  • sironen

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 28 July 2013 - 12:27 PM

Id say 95% of gamers dont want it. So lock this crap

archiebunker
  • archiebunker

Working Class Hero

• Members

Posted 28 July 2013 - 12:31 PM

It would be an awesome change of perspective. Hoping it happens eventually.

lucid121
  • lucid121

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 28 July 2013 - 12:31 PM

http://thebattousai....-than-women.jpg

Bookable
  • Bookable

Book

• Members

Posted 28 July 2013 - 01:01 PM

You know, the story really does determine what protagonist they use. Now, I think it would have DEFINITELY been possible to use a woman in place of one of the characters (I don't like Trevor, lets replace him! kidding). If any of you have ever seen the movie Mad Money, there are some plausible scenarios to use women. Women can do nice little tasks that make them look like they are doing a job and at the same time execute a job, like taking out the trash with money stuffed in the bags. They are good distractions, etc. There are tons of ways to use women in heists, I think it could have been done really well and they could have shown a love interest between two characters, etc. Does it NEED to be done? No. Make games for your audience, make games for your story, for your gameplay. If woman protag doesn't fit or you can make it better with a man, don't use a woman.

All I ask is that everyone at least thinks about it and has a conversation about it when they are making a game, similar to the NFL rule that forces franchises to interview minority head coaches.

BattleExel26
  • BattleExel26

22's on a box Chevy

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 28 July 2013 - 01:02 PM

FFS, no female protags. please...

Dope_0110
  • Dope_0110

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 28 July 2013 - 01:07 PM

I actually think they might have a female protag as soon as the next GTA. If this multi-protag thing falls good among the fans I expect the next GTA to have two protags a male and a female so all these basement macho fans can be pissed of. icon14.gif

But seriously, GTA is becoming stale as far as the characters go, there isn't much more stereotypical character that they can come up with, and a female protag is a logical next step.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users