My opinion on female protagonists in GTA V

199 replies to this topic
FutoDriver
  • FutoDriver

Thug

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 July 2013 - 03:11 AM

QUOTE (CSM. HB J-DOGG @ Saturday, Jul 27 2013, 01:46)
I am a man we were made different for a reason. If you cringe oh well I at 29 have no interest playing as a Women in GTA. Now Streetfighter or Killer instinct Tekken its cool but not GTA. Like I said I think it would hurt sales her in the US and Piss off a lot of Loyal customers who have been down since gta1 for a few in the minority.

Fans of the original GTA you say? Well, I don't see how we would be offended since you could choose female characters.

Huey Freeman
  • Huey Freeman

Modern Day Activist

• BUSTED!

Posted 27 July 2013 - 03:12 AM

QUOTE (bish0p2004 @ Saturday, Jul 27 2013, 02:49)
QUOTE (The New Blueguy @ Saturday, Jul 27 2013, 00:53)
QUOTE (CSM. HB J-DOGG @ Friday, Jul 26 2013, 17:49)
Why hurt sales for feminist movement. I honestly dont care to play as a female protag in GTA. I was born a Man I dont want nor care to know how a woman feels.  I have a wife I put up with her and my daughters mood swings. No need to experience them on a game. I honestly think it might hurt sals in the USA. Volition gave in to the younger crowd movement with SRTT and SRIV . Now they are pulling the plug on the series .

This just proves you have no idea what you're talking about, man. Every time I see you guys use the term 'feminist movement' I cringe a little more. I'm not talking about women's rights. Hell, that girl's IGN blog post wasn't even talking about feminism and women's rights. It's not a frickin' political statement to want to play as a female character. And if you really do have a wife and daughters with that attitude, you're only hurting yourself. I am married, but if I was blessed with daughters, I wouldn't be sitting there talking about their mood swings and getting sh*t from my wife. Also, if you don't care to know how a woman feels, why get married? That's some dangerously bottled up sh*t right there.

First I love My daughter and Wife more than anything. But I do not want to know how they feel. I empathize with them but I will never truly know how they feel. I am a man we were made different for a reason. If you cringe oh well I at 29 have no interest playing as a Women in GTA. Now Streetfighter or Killer instinct Tekken its cool but not GTA. Like I said I think it would hurt sales her in the US and Piss off a lot of Loyal customers who have been down since gta1 for a few in the minority. Like I said earlier Saints Row has this feature and I never played as a female. Look at like this Saints Row Also pandered to a certain minority and killed its Franchise. Now they are talking about rebooting the seriers without SRIV even coming out yet. I am all for certain type of change but that is too drastic of a step.

Didn't GTA SA appeal to a certain minority group and it's still one of the best selling GTA games?

Woah there, what you calling me a minority, why it matter we all bleed the same, no such thing as races just human race

RMN
  • RMN

Snitch

• Members

Posted 27 July 2013 - 03:14 AM Edited by RMN, 27 July 2013 - 03:18 AM.

QUOTE (Dope_0110 @ Saturday, Jul 27 2013, 00:37)
And this has been discussed to death.

This.

Here - http://www.gtaforums...howtopic=566141

The New Blueguy
  • The New Blueguy

Legend of the Heist

• Members

Posted 27 July 2013 - 03:30 AM

QUOTE (Huey Freeman @ Friday, Jul 26 2013, 22:11)
NO I don't want to play a character with a vagina, I want to f*ck those types of people

With responses like that, I doubt you're old enough to know how.

The New Blueguy
  • The New Blueguy

Legend of the Heist

• Members

Posted 27 July 2013 - 03:31 AM

QUOTE (Huey Freeman @ Friday, Jul 26 2013, 22:12)
QUOTE (bish0p2004 @ Saturday, Jul 27 2013, 02:49)
QUOTE (The New Blueguy @ Saturday, Jul 27 2013, 00:53)
QUOTE (CSM. HB J-DOGG @ Friday, Jul 26 2013, 17:49)
Why hurt sales for feminist movement. I honestly dont care to play as a female protag in GTA. I was born a Man I dont want nor care to know how a woman feels.  I have a wife I put up with her and my daughters mood swings. No need to experience them on a game. I honestly think it might hurt sals in the USA. Volition gave in to the younger crowd movement with SRTT and SRIV . Now they are pulling the plug on the series .

This just proves you have no idea what you're talking about, man. Every time I see you guys use the term 'feminist movement' I cringe a little more. I'm not talking about women's rights. Hell, that girl's IGN blog post wasn't even talking about feminism and women's rights. It's not a frickin' political statement to want to play as a female character. And if you really do have a wife and daughters with that attitude, you're only hurting yourself. I am married, but if I was blessed with daughters, I wouldn't be sitting there talking about their mood swings and getting sh*t from my wife. Also, if you don't care to know how a woman feels, why get married? That's some dangerously bottled up sh*t right there.

First I love My daughter and Wife more than anything. But I do not want to know how they feel. I empathize with them but I will never truly know how they feel. I am a man we were made different for a reason. If you cringe oh well I at 29 have no interest playing as a Women in GTA. Now Streetfighter or Killer instinct Tekken its cool but not GTA. Like I said I think it would hurt sales her in the US and Piss off a lot of Loyal customers who have been down since gta1 for a few in the minority. Like I said earlier Saints Row has this feature and I never played as a female. Look at like this Saints Row Also pandered to a certain minority and killed its Franchise. Now they are talking about rebooting the seriers without SRIV even coming out yet. I am all for certain type of change but that is too drastic of a step.

Didn't GTA SA appeal to a certain minority group and it's still one of the best selling GTA games?

Woah there, what you calling me a minority, why it matter we all bleed the same, no such thing as races just human race

Don't be ignorant...

The Odyssey
  • The Odyssey

Save it for a rainy day

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 27 July 2013 - 03:32 AM

QUOTE (Twiggy123 @ Friday, Jul 26 2013, 19:31)
No, I'm serious. There have been two seperate topics about this already. Leave it alone we have discussed it to death already.

This was actually well thought out and was an interesting read. So if you don't want to discuss it stay out of the topic.

Huey Freeman
  • Huey Freeman

Modern Day Activist

• BUSTED!

Posted 27 July 2013 - 03:34 AM

QUOTE (The New Blueguy @ Saturday, Jul 27 2013, 03:30)
NO I don't want to play a character with a vagina, I want to f*ck those types of people

LMAO, You guys on the internet swear everybody is 12 years old. I was trolling, you can't tell?
I'm 17, and anything I do in my personal time is not for the internet to know.

Do you know what ignorant even means? lol, I'm pretty sure I wasn't being ignorant maybe a little trolling but I'm serious about the race thing. Let it go, I don't give a f*ck if you black, white, aisan, hispanic god damnit, f*ck your ethnicity as Kendrick Lamar said

The New Blueguy
  • The New Blueguy

Legend of the Heist

• Members

Posted 27 July 2013 - 03:38 AM

QUOTE (Huey Freeman @ Friday, Jul 26 2013, 22:34)

LMAO, You guys on the internet swear everybody is 12 years old. I was trolling, you can't tell?

Meh, my point still stands an extra five years means nothing. Trolling or not, your posts come as crass and ignorant. If you're worried about being seen as 'that minority' then don't subscribe to what they stereotype us for.

Lospuertafreeway
  • Lospuertafreeway

Thug

• BUSTED!

Posted 27 July 2013 - 03:38 AM

There can't be a female protag the other two would rape the sh*t out of her jk I like the idea of a tomb raider type chick

Huey Freeman
  • Huey Freeman

Modern Day Activist

• BUSTED!

Posted 27 July 2013 - 03:40 AM

QUOTE (The New Blueguy @ Saturday, Jul 27 2013, 03:38)

Meh, my point still stands an extra five years means nothing. Trolling or not, your posts come as crass and ignorant. If you're worried about being seen as 'that minority' then don't subscribe to what they stereotype us for.

I don't care about the internet at all, I lead by example in the real world. When I get my house soon, I'm going to build my own studio and buy a few recording equipment and make music and videos that relate to the real world and also giving people a sense of knowledge.

The New Blueguy
  • The New Blueguy

Legend of the Heist

• Members

Posted 27 July 2013 - 03:43 AM

QUOTE (Huey Freeman @ Friday, Jul 26 2013, 22:40)
QUOTE (The New Blueguy @ Saturday, Jul 27 2013, 03:38)

I don't care about the internet at all, I lead by example in the real world. When I get my house soon, I'm going to build my own studio and buy a few recording equipment and make music and videos that relate to the real world and also giving people a sense of knowledge.

Well, that's great for you, I wish you the best at it.

bish0p2004
  • bish0p2004

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 27 July 2013 - 03:44 AM

QUOTE (Huey Freeman @ Saturday, Jul 27 2013, 03:34)

Do you know what ignorant even means? lol, I'm pretty sure I wasn't being ignorant maybe a little trolling but I'm serious about the race thing. Let it go, I don't give a f*ck if you black, white, aisan, hispanic god damnit, f*ck your ethnicity as Kendrick Lamar said

Yeah, unfortunately you missed the context of my post when you quoted me.

Crashbombs
  • Crashbombs

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 27 July 2013 - 03:50 AM

QUOTE (Reshe @ Friday, Jul 26 2013, 21:58)
QUOTE (Crashbombs @ Friday, Jul 26 2013, 14:34)
I'm sticking with my theory that the fourth character slot is for another protagonist. I also think it will be a female.

And before anyone says "The fourth slot, is for your online character." I have not seen that confirmed, and until the online trailer comes out it is just as much a guess as what I have suggested.

Guess what? All three protagonists have been confirmed, and the fourth slot is your multiplayer character. They're not adding a fourth after advertising the three. Your theory isn't a theory, it's denial.

I personally didn't see it confirmed. I will read through the game informer article again. (because someone said it was in there) As far as the internet I haven't seen anything from an official source outside of speculation that it is the MP slot.

As for advertising only 3 characters that doesn't mean anything really. Take Metal Gear Solid 2 for example. That game was only advertised to show Snake in the tanker mission. And what happened after the tanker mission? You get dropped into Raiden.

wwinterj
  • wwinterj

Boss

• Members

Posted 27 July 2013 - 03:52 AM

^ Clearly trolling.

Gedmundo
  • Gedmundo

Rat

• Members

Posted 27 July 2013 - 04:04 AM

I could easily see myself playing a female character if the character seems somewhat personable. Rockstar create good characters consistently. It'll happen one day and I have no problem with it. Won't make me feel any less of a man. I spent most of the 90's playing as a lightning quick, blue hedgehog and had no issue getting into it, so I don't see what the issue is with people complaining that they can't see themselves enjoying a GTA with a women protagonist.

On the flip side to that though, I think feminism has much more pressing goals than representation in video games.

Huey Freeman
  • Huey Freeman

Modern Day Activist

• BUSTED!

Posted 27 July 2013 - 04:07 AM

QUOTE (bish0p2004 @ Saturday, Jul 27 2013, 03:44)
QUOTE (Huey Freeman @ Saturday, Jul 27 2013, 03:34)

Yeah, unfortunately you missed the context of my post when you quoted me.

I'm confused and my brain hurts now...

Revolution-XW
  • Revolution-XW

LuisWayne

• Members

Posted 27 July 2013 - 04:08 AM

QUOTE (RMN @ Saturday, Jul 27 2013, 03:14)
QUOTE (Dope_0110 @ Saturday, Jul 27 2013, 00:37)
And this has been discussed to death.

This.

Here - http://www.gtaforums...howtopic=566141

icon14.gif

/lock

Huey Freeman
  • Huey Freeman

Modern Day Activist

• BUSTED!

Posted 27 July 2013 - 04:08 AM

QUOTE (Crashbombs @ Saturday, Jul 27 2013, 03:50)
QUOTE (Reshe @ Friday, Jul 26 2013, 21:58)
QUOTE (Crashbombs @ Friday, Jul 26 2013, 14:34)
I'm sticking with my theory that the fourth character slot is for another protagonist. I also think it will be a female.

And before anyone says "The fourth slot, is for your online character." I have not seen that confirmed, and until the online trailer comes out it is just as much a guess as what I have suggested.

Guess what? All three protagonists have been confirmed, and the fourth slot is your multiplayer character. They're not adding a fourth after advertising the three. Your theory isn't a theory, it's denial.

I personally didn't see it confirmed. I will read through the game informer article again. (because someone said it was in there) As far as the internet I haven't seen anything from an official source outside of speculation that it is the MP slot.

As for advertising only 3 characters that doesn't mean anything really. Take Metal Gear Solid 2 for example. That game was only advertised to show Snake in the tanker mission. And what happened after the tanker mission? You get dropped into Raiden.

I think your serious and not trolling.... whatevs

but I have to say that sh*t BLEW MY MIND
When I became raiden

Crashbombs
  • Crashbombs

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 27 July 2013 - 04:40 AM

QUOTE (wwinterj @ Saturday, Jul 27 2013, 03:52)
^ Clearly trolling.

Nope not trolling. Didn't say I believed it either just said it was a theory.

But I did find this. "Though R* says much of the HUD elements we saw during the demo where place holders, we did notice that the multi-player menu was located directly under the switch icon..."

That was the December 2012 issue of game informer.

So I stand corrected.

No one would actually cough up where the info was before though so it was kind hard to believe they knew for a fact what the button was.

Anyway I'm not against a female protag, but I will probably hang out in Franklin's shoes most of the time because he seems a bit like CJ and I liked GTA:SA the most.

hobodealerr
  • hobodealerr

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 27 July 2013 - 04:50 AM

At the end of the day it's about storytelling. The writers at Rockstar obviously would prefer to tell a story about three male criminals, as opposed to female criminals. Creating a video game isn't something that is cheap, fast, and easy, and so if these writers don't want to dedicate a few years to writing a story about females, then the smartest thing to do is not to write a story about females.

I'm sure there's a Bonnie and Clyde like narrative waiting to be told at Rockstar, but this is the story they wanted to tell. I can't hate them for that.

Perhaps, for all you know, they did try and write a narrative with a female protagonist but it just didn't work out. Something about it just seemed off... wrong. It wasn't working.

Noclue_42
  • Noclue_42

How much for the ape?!

• Members

Posted 27 July 2013 - 10:09 AM

QUOTE (The New Blueguy @ Saturday, Jul 27 2013, 01:20)
QUOTE (Noclue_42 @ Friday, Jul 26 2013, 19:56)
QUOTE (The New Blueguy @ Friday, Jul 26 2013, 19:03)
As a male gamer who's been gaming for about 25 years now, this is issue really truly bothered me.

.stopped reading right there. if you don't get the concept, after 25 years, GTFO.

Was that some sort of covert way of saying video games are only for guys?

that was me saying 'ooooooh you play games for about 25 years now, but you still haven't grasped the concept of it. Get the f*ck out'

dude, this "debate" is useless. why? well let's have a discussion about politicians practising to cook meth, let's talk about nuns sniffing coke, let's talk about dogs driving your kids to school, let's talk about mentally handicapped people teaching you at a university.........let's talk about sh*t that ain't gonna happen and if it did happen at some point in the past, let's mention how fail it was and how it's everything but usual for those situations to occur.

or let's just NOT do that and get on with life as it is.

Noclue_42
  • Noclue_42

How much for the ape?!

• Members

Posted 27 July 2013 - 10:12 AM

how old are you again OP? playing games for about 25 years now you gotta be at least 40 right?! and wasn't it you who asked for female protags in games?

I think that Huey guy, while maybe verbally flawed, is by far more mature than you

anzeyima
  • anzeyima

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 27 July 2013 - 10:31 AM

QUOTE (Noclue_42 @ Saturday, Jul 27 2013, 10:12)

how old are you again OP? playing games for about 25 years now you gotta be at least 40 right?! and wasn't it you who asked for female protags in games?

I think that Huey guy, while maybe verbally flawed, is by far more mature than you

Explain me your logic, noclue. Because I do really think your username's extremely relevant here.

Noclue_42
  • Noclue_42

How much for the ape?!

• Members

Posted 27 July 2013 - 11:26 AM Edited by Noclue_42, 27 July 2013 - 11:30 AM.

what's wrong with my logic there? monocle.gif

just sayin HUEY whatever is right about it when he implied that those people who ask for female protags in games like GTA are annoying as f*ck.

I haven't bothered to read OP further than the one line I quoted already so I can just imagine what he stated about the issue. whatever he suggested that debate/issue in general is just *facepalm* to me...I can't even get me to srsly argue about it because the issue is so....UGH COME ON MAN.......nahmean?!

it all boils down to: developers don't bow down to "irritated" gamers and their "questionable" desires.....most developers are normal people living in a rather real reality...other than some people who would like reality a little more colorful with less gravitation and the line between genders blurred or whatever....yeah shoot some more acid and maybe it's happening......NOT

and because developers know that a female doing crime, selling drugs, hijacking cars, beating people up, shooting guns in broad daylight and stuff is NOT reality, because they know how the world rolls, their games tend to reflect that. those games who want to be ambitious and authentic at least

FutoDriver
  • FutoDriver

Thug

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 July 2013 - 11:51 AM

QUOTE (Noclue_42 @ Saturday, Jul 27 2013, 11:26)

and because developers know that a female doing crime, selling drugs, hijacking cars, beating people up, shooting guns in broad daylight and stuff is NOT reality, because they know how the world rolls, their games tend to reflect that. those games who want to be ambitious and authentic at least

Girls don't do crimes? That's an illusion. Check this out, and this is Compton area.

Noclue_42
  • Noclue_42

How much for the ape?!

• Members

Posted 27 July 2013 - 12:02 PM

I don't deny that there are no GANGSTA GIRLS or whatever....there was the godmother of coke in the 80's...there's the queen of england...etc...

so maybe 100 or whatever females do crime and people be like OH LOOK WOMEN DO CRIME JUST ASWELL

this issue is so ridicuolous...1st world...FULL ON

RetroMutt
  • RetroMutt

Coyote

• Members

Posted 27 July 2013 - 12:29 PM

The TL/DR: Women are badass

A woman who grew up in the streets of LA. She was tough, she fought like hell, and everyone feared her. She didnt care who macho or big you were, if you pissed her off enough she will take you down. This Mexican was feared by all that was around her and even though she was no leader of her boyfriends gang, the lower gang members still respected her. One gang made the mistake of messing with her. As she went to retrieve a car for a friend of hers, rival gang members of her friend pulled up for an attack. Se manged to jump through the open window and quickly drove off. That wasnt the end of it though! They followed her onto the highway and as they drove along side of her, one the the gangsters leaned out the window and pointed a shotgun at her. Now this pissed this woman beyond and she veered her steering wheel and rammed them hell out of this car. The force of the hit made the guy fly back into the car and dropped the gun on the highway. She kept ramming them until she forced them off an exit and she drove off, leaving them in the dust. Another time when she was in Mexico these gang members were messing with her brother and she went up to them, socking one of the guys. Her sisters, brothers all got into a fight and she got ontop of this one gang member and started beating the crap out of him all while keeping off the other members trying to get her off. Eventually they were able to run them off.

After a little, she was back in Los Angeles but things changed for her. She got pregnate with her first child. Her boyfriend asked her to to carry some drugs, and while she held the drugs in her hand and looked at her belly, she said no. For her child, she decided to leave all that behind. After that she got a job working in a farming field, despite being six months pregnate. However, with only a sixth grade education it wasnt really possible for for her to work anywhere else. As she worked her way up, she gave birth to her first child and a couple years later she got pregnate once again. She realized that what she was doing wasn't going to be enough. Even though she knew her family was helping her, she went out and got an education. She applied for college but the people there scoffed at her for her low education. While she took a test to see if she could even attend college, they looked down at her with smug faces. The look on their faces when not only did she pass, she passed with flying colors.

Now, years later she has three kids now and she meets a marine. She marries him and they all move to Yuma... She had a child with this man but it wasnt long before she realized that Marine was a monster. He hurt her children and she would not live for that. She destroyed his life, got him a dishonorable discharge, sent him to jail for 8 years and made sure he stayed there. She evemade him leave this side of the county and made sure he was alone for the rest of his life.

Now, with four kids in tow this single mother moves to a new small town of Sierra Vista. While there she got a job working as a computer tech for the local hospital. All while rasing four kids, she gets her bachelor's degree and gets promoted to a high paying job. Eventually she meets a new man and has a fifth child. This time the father was a good man but after the last time, she doesn't trust anyone as well as she use to.

Now, she has a wonderful life. She is able to put all her kids through college, owns two houses, her kids didnt grow up to be hoodlums but grew up to be an artist, political speaker, engineer, a mother, and one kid still in the works of becoming a soldier.

It's not perfect though, because her past still catches up with her. Her jail bird brother trying to corrupt the town she made home, her hoodlum cousins trying everything in their power to one up her at everything she does, her relitives constantly visiting and bringing trouble with them. Police assuming she stole the car and home she worked so hard for.

But she manages to stay above it all but she will fight like hell... If she had to.

Now she sounds an interesting protagonist no? Well she isn't some made up character, she is my mother. Just like every GTA character, she worked her way out of the slums and tried to make a better life. People keep saying a female protagonist can't be realistic when that is far from the truth. My mother LIVED the world rockstar created in the games. She is a badass and I am sure she can beat any macho f*cker out there.

So yes, I do agree Rockstar should have a female protagonist sometime. If not for this game, for a future game, because a woman can be as badass as a man. I also think there should eventually be a realistic gay character out there sometime... And we will, Rockstar has been taking steps for both. With Ballad of Gay Tony, they showed there are many types of gay people out there, not all of the, flamming. And they've had many strong female characters, specially in GTA IV.

And Im sure there will be more strong female characters in GTA V as well. Infact, if you look in the gameplay video one of the "experts" that can help you do a heist is a female.

And no I don't agree with the whole "I don't want a LGBT or female character just because there hasn't been one, they have to have a compelling story!". That's stupid, I'm gay and I've never had an compelling and exciting story explaining why I am gay. Same for women, why do they need an adventure that explains why they have boobs?

So if you read that whole thing, thank you!

FutoDriver
  • FutoDriver

Thug

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 July 2013 - 12:30 PM

QUOTE (Noclue_42 @ Saturday, Jul 27 2013, 12:02)

so maybe 100 or whatever females do crime and people be like OH LOOK WOMEN DO CRIME JUST ASWELL

Why do people jump BEFORE getting facts? Just watch that video, and see it's a lot bigger than you perceive it as. I was debating your statement. I provided evidence to show why the statement provided was false.

Have respect, and broaden your horizons and mind.

RetroMutt
  • RetroMutt

Coyote

• Members

Posted 27 July 2013 - 01:07 PM

QUOTE (FutoDriver @ Saturday, Jul 27 2013, 12:30)
QUOTE (Noclue_42 @ Saturday, Jul 27 2013, 12:02)

Why do people jump BEFORE getting facts? Just watch that video, and see it's a lot bigger than you perceive it as. I was debating your statement. I provided evidence to show why the statement provided was false.

Have respect, and broaden your horizons and mind.

Agreed, some of the women I hear about are tougher than most of the men around them

I bet this dude also thinks women can't be head of the house hold and that a woman should know her place in the kitchen hah. If a man ever said that to my mom, he would be have his ass handed to him

wwinterj
  • wwinterj

Boss

• Members

Posted 27 July 2013 - 01:16 PM

QUOTE (RetroMutt @ Saturday, Jul 27 2013, 14:07)
I bet this dude also thinks women can't be head of the house hold and that a woman should know her place in the kitchen hah. If a man ever said that to my mom, he would be have his ass handed to him

That sounds so hot. blush.gif
*Ahem* back on topic. There are loads of games that have female protagonists. GTA V just isn't one of them for story telling purposes. I don't understand what the big debait is here nor do I understand why people care if a protagonist is female or not. Hopefully we can give Trevor long hair then everyone is happy. tounge.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users