My opinion on female protagonists in GTA V

199 replies to this topic
NorthwindJME
  • NorthwindJME

Your Getaway Driver

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 26 July 2013 - 08:40 PM

QUOTE (Dope_0110 @ Friday, Jul 26 2013, 20:07)
Protagonists should be determined by the story and not by ''oh we've had 10 games with male protags, next one should be female'' or ''oh, well with three protags we should make one female''. Story determines a protag. That's how it should be. They obviously get a lot of their inspiration from movies, and I'll name 10 heist or gang movies of the top of my head, and each and every one will have a male lead role or roles. So no wonder. And this has been discussed to death.

Yeah, but they wrote the story. It's not like they are making a game from a movie (any one specifically) nor are they making a game from a book. They could write in a female protagonist if they wanted to.

SlapEmLikeFloyd
  • SlapEmLikeFloyd

Player Hater

• BUSTED!

Posted 26 July 2013 - 08:57 PM

QUOTE (needhaje @ Friday, Jul 26 2013, 20:21)
QUOTE (SlapEmLikeFloyd @ Friday, Jul 26 2013, 20:11)
Why are you feminists trying to ruin the game ? Why dont you go make your own f*cking game, dont try and f*ck up everyone else's experience with your stupid "women are equal bullsh*t" GTFOH. You're not even smart enough to know those female characters you talked about were starring in fantasy games, not games based on real life get a proper education before you start posting dumb bullsh*t fool, and stay away from TV.

God f*cking damn it. This is a legitimate discussion. Get your blatantly incorrect and biased opinion out of here.

If you can tell me what was "blatantly incorrect and biased" about what I said then you win if you cant then I win, simple.

AllenKS
  • AllenKS

SoLoville

• Members

Posted 26 July 2013 - 09:04 PM

The problem with these "should've been a female" threads, is the assumption that a female elevates the material somehow, just for not having a penis. Tomb Raider would've been the same game if you made the character a 15 y/o boy. Everyone thought Samus was a dude for the longest when it comes to Metroid, and the female angle brings nothing to the story. That "femshep is a better character!" sh*t is just personal opinion.

Just because you CAN put a female in a lead role, why does it HAVE to happen? If they don't want to put a female in their lineup, that's their perogative.

It's not up to Rockstar to push the feminist movement forward. Not even sure if that would.. What does that even say as a statement? "See, women can be ruthless scumbag killers too!"

Didn't Snoop from The Wire already prove that?

IMr_SmithI
  • IMr_SmithI

Nigga rich productions

• Members

Posted 26 July 2013 - 09:49 PM

Catalina would be the only logical female protag

Revolution-XW
  • Revolution-XW

LuisWayne

• Members

Posted 26 July 2013 - 09:51 PM

QUOTE (Twiggy123 @ Friday, Jul 26 2013, 19:04)
Can we not have another one of these threads?

This. icon14.gif

Please.

It's like a console war, people will keep flaming at each other, it wont stop. Just wont.

The New Blueguy
  • The New Blueguy

Legend of the Heist

• Members

Posted 26 July 2013 - 09:54 PM Edited by The New Blueguy, 27 July 2013 - 03:03 AM.

QUOTE (AllenKS @ Friday, Jul 26 2013, 16:04)
The problem with these "should've been a female" threads, is the assumption that a female elevates the material somehow, just for not having a penis. Tomb Raider would've been the same game if you made the character a 15 y/o boy. Everyone thought Samus was a dude for the longest when it comes to Metroid, and the female angle brings nothing to the story. That "femshep is a better character!" sh*t is just personal opinion.

Just because you CAN put a female in a lead role, why does it HAVE to happen? If they don't want to put a female in their lineup, that's their perogative.

It's not up to Rockstar to push the feminist movement forward. Not even sure if that would.. What does that even say as a statement? "See, women can be ruthless scumbag killers too!"

Didn't Snoop from The Wire already prove that?

Never once have I ever said "it should have been a female" in GTA. Never once did I ever state that Femshep was a better character as fact. I am not disputing whether it is an option because I AGREE with you, it is exactly that MY personal opinion and one that I am NOT forcing anyone to go along with. I made that suggestion to the other other poster that's how I feel about it. Personally, I think MaleShep was written very dudebro-ish and insulted my intelligence with every word. I also found the actor's performance very lazy. Do people like it as it is? Sure. Am I going to kill anyone over it? No.

Again, the argument you guys keep using is "just because you can" as if anyone is trying to start some feminist movement in GTA. We're simply saying that a female character, if executed well from both a writing and performance standpoint, could fit right into a GTA world and be a nice change of pace. It's that simple. We're not looking to round up the male population of GTA players and chop your balls off. We're simply saying a chick would be cool. Just like people thought having airplanes would be cool or driving tanks would be cool.

Reshe
  • Reshe

Warchief of the True Regiment

• Members

Posted 26 July 2013 - 09:58 PM

QUOTE (Crashbombs @ Friday, Jul 26 2013, 14:34)
I'm sticking with my theory that the fourth character slot is for another protagonist. I also think it will be a female.

And before anyone says "The fourth slot, is for your online character." I have not seen that confirmed, and until the online trailer comes out it is just as much a guess as what I have suggested.

Guess what? All three protagonists have been confirmed, and the fourth slot is your multiplayer character. They're not adding a fourth after advertising the three. Your theory isn't a theory, it's denial.

redx165
  • redx165

Making the GTA fanboys dance

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 26 July 2013 - 10:10 PM

I don't even know what to say. Half of the people want a female protagonist just so they can look at her. A couple reasons why they don't do it. One is the writing team. Mostly is filled with guys. They don't have experience making a female story and even GTA brings down females. Second is more guys play GTA than girls do.

GTA isn't really a game type to make a female story.

Shamrock910
  • Shamrock910

Pothead

• Members

Posted 26 July 2013 - 10:14 PM

For me, I just wouldn't want to play a game like this as a chick. Doesn't make me sexist as some try to insinuate, I just don't like playing as a chick. I never used a female avatar in GTA 4 or Red Dead when online, just doesn't feel 'right' when playing a chick. I'm a dude, I want to play as a dude. If I was a chick then I would presumably want to play as a chick, and I really don't get why dudes want to play as a female so bad.

That said, if Rockstar made a game where there the protag was a female, I would play the sh*t out of it I'm sure. I just don't get why the anger some seem to have over it. It's their game, let them do what they want without complaining. If you don't like it, don't play it. Simple.

Why are so many people so worked up over this NON issue?

People just love to complain.

bish0p2004
  • bish0p2004

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 26 July 2013 - 10:34 PM

If they ever made the lead character a female, I would have to pass on the game (like I did with the last Final Fantasy 13). I have just never felt badass playing a female character.

I don't know why, I just never liked reading, seeing, or playing from a woman's perspective. I simply can't, nor want to, relate to them that way and I don't want to experience that kind of voyeurism.

CSM. HB J-DOGG
  • CSM. HB J-DOGG

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 26 July 2013 - 10:49 PM

Why hurt sales for feminist movement. I honestly dont care to play as a female protag in GTA. I was born a Man I dont want nor care to know how a woman feels. I have a wife I put up with her and my daughters mood swings. No need to experience them on a game. I honestly think it might hurt sals in the USA. Volition gave in to the younger crowd movement with SRTT and SRIV . Now they are pulling the plug on the series .

The New Blueguy
  • The New Blueguy

Legend of the Heist

• Members

Posted 27 July 2013 - 12:41 AM

QUOTE (Shamrock910 @ Friday, Jul 26 2013, 17:14)
For me, I just wouldn't want to play a game like this as a chick. Doesn't make me sexist as some try to insinuate, I just don't like playing as a chick. I never used a female avatar in GTA 4 or Red Dead when online, just doesn't feel 'right' when playing a chick. I'm a dude, I want to play as a dude. If I was a chick then I would presumably want to play as a chick, and I really don't get why dudes want to play as a female so bad.

That said, if Rockstar made a game where there the protag was a female, I would play the sh*t out of it I'm sure. I just don't get why the anger some seem to have over it. It's their game, let them do what they want without complaining. If you don't like it, don't play it. Simple.

Why are so many people so worked up over this NON issue?

People just love to complain.

And that's cool. I don't have a problem with that at all. Not wanting a female protagonist does not make you sexist at all. It's just preference I totally get that. Hell, I'm not even saying I'd prefer to play as a female character. It's not you at all, I can respect your opinion. It's the little immature clowns wilding out at females saying all kinds hateful sh*t like their mom locked them in their room that bug me. No way any of them are old enough to play the game anyway and it shows.

The New Blueguy
  • The New Blueguy

Legend of the Heist

• Members

Posted 27 July 2013 - 12:44 AM

QUOTE (bish0p2004 @ Friday, Jul 26 2013, 17:34)
If they ever made the lead character a female, I would have to pass on the game (like I did with the last Final Fantasy 13). I have just never felt badass playing a female character.

I don't know why, I just never liked reading, seeing, or playing from a woman's perspective. I simply can't, nor want to, relate to them that way and I don't want to experience that kind of voyeurism.

That's valid but I'd argue that a female lead in a GTA game is so far and away removed from a Final Fantasy female lead that you can't even compare the two.

The New Blueguy
  • The New Blueguy

Legend of the Heist

• Members

Posted 27 July 2013 - 12:53 AM

QUOTE (CSM. HB J-DOGG @ Friday, Jul 26 2013, 17:49)
Why hurt sales for feminist movement. I honestly dont care to play as a female protag in GTA. I was born a Man I dont want nor care to know how a woman feels. I have a wife I put up with her and my daughters mood swings. No need to experience them on a game. I honestly think it might hurt sals in the USA. Volition gave in to the younger crowd movement with SRTT and SRIV . Now they are pulling the plug on the series .

This just proves you have no idea what you're talking about, man. Every time I see you guys use the term 'feminist movement' I cringe a little more. I'm not talking about women's rights. Hell, that girl's IGN blog post wasn't even talking about feminism and women's rights. It's not a frickin' political statement to want to play as a female character. And if you really do have a wife and daughters with that attitude, you're only hurting yourself. I am married, but if I was blessed with daughters, I wouldn't be sitting there talking about their mood swings and getting sh*t from my wife. Also, if you don't care to know how a woman feels, why get married? That's some dangerously bottled up sh*t right there.

LibSity
  • LibSity

Genetically Superior

• Members

Posted 27 July 2013 - 12:54 AM

I'm not sexist, but hell to the no. Never will there be a female protagonist. Absolutely not.

Noclue_42
  • Noclue_42

How much for the ape?!

• Members

Posted 27 July 2013 - 12:56 AM

QUOTE (The New Blueguy @ Friday, Jul 26 2013, 19:03)
As a male gamer who's been gaming for about 25 years now, this is issue really truly bothered me.

.stopped reading right there. if you don't get the concept, after 25 years, GTFO.

Noclue_42
  • Noclue_42

How much for the ape?!

• Members

Posted 27 July 2013 - 12:57 AM

QUOTE (TH3B055 @ Friday, Jul 26 2013, 19:06)
I think MANKIND/SOCIETY is not ready to make that jump to put a female as the lead character is just that simple.

fix'd

redx165
  • redx165

Making the GTA fanboys dance

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 27 July 2013 - 01:09 AM

QUOTE (Noclue_42 @ Saturday, Jul 27 2013, 00:57)
QUOTE (TH3B055 @ Friday, Jul 26 2013, 19:06)
I think MANKIND/SOCIETY is not ready to make that jump to put a female as the lead character is just that simple.

fix'd

No they are not. Have you even realize some people prefer to be a guy? Most of the people want a female character just so they can jack off to her. Maybe and maybe we will get a female protagonist is when there are more or about the same girl gamers as there are guy gamers.

icklydicklydook
  • icklydicklydook

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 27 July 2013 - 01:18 AM

1. I remember reading somewhere (dont have link) on this forum that one of the Houser brothers said it wouldn't happen, as it didn't fit in with GTA's outlook.

2. You say that a female character will not be viewed as political move influenced by feminist ideals, but I can guarantee you it will - I can see the Huff Post headline already, "traditional boys club game grand theft auto features playable badass lesbian"

3. The whole dynamic of GTA would have to be changed: Picking up hookers would have to go, hand combat would look ridiculous as a woman tries to take on a fully grown man with "karate chop" moves that somehow make her stronger, mafia encounters would seem strange and out of place, etc, etc

4. Why upset a lot of your customers just to satisfy the demand of a few? If r* sticks to men, everyone will still get the game, but if they put a girl in, a minority will jump for joy, half will feel indifferent, and a whole bunch will be protesting

5. A wonderful game called Saints Row already has this feature

6. Mod it if you have to

7. Finally, by all means petition r* for a new ip involving a female protagonist, but for the sake of this forums integrity and of respect for women, I humbly ask that you please STOP spawning these threads, as they only breed sexism and division

The New Blueguy
  • The New Blueguy

Legend of the Heist

• Members

Posted 27 July 2013 - 01:20 AM

QUOTE (Noclue_42 @ Friday, Jul 26 2013, 19:56)
QUOTE (The New Blueguy @ Friday, Jul 26 2013, 19:03)
As a male gamer who's been gaming for about 25 years now, this is issue really truly bothered me.

.stopped reading right there. if you don't get the concept, after 25 years, GTFO.

Was that some sort of covert way of saying video games are only for guys?

CSM. HB J-DOGG
  • CSM. HB J-DOGG

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 27 July 2013 - 01:46 AM Edited by CSM. HB J-DOGG, 27 July 2013 - 01:54 AM.

QUOTE (The New Blueguy @ Saturday, Jul 27 2013, 00:53)
Why hurt sales for feminist movement. I honestly dont care to play as a female protag in GTA. I was born a Man I dont want nor care to know how a woman feels.  I have a wife I put up with her and my daughters mood swings. No need to experience them on a game. I honestly think it might hurt sals in the USA. Volition gave in to the younger crowd movement with SRTT and SRIV . Now they are pulling the plug on the series .

This just proves you have no idea what you're talking about, man. Every time I see you guys use the term 'feminist movement' I cringe a little more. I'm not talking about women's rights. Hell, that girl's IGN blog post wasn't even talking about feminism and women's rights. It's not a frickin' political statement to want to play as a female character. And if you really do have a wife and daughters with that attitude, you're only hurting yourself. I am married, but if I was blessed with daughters, I wouldn't be sitting there talking about their mood swings and getting sh*t from my wife. Also, if you don't care to know how a woman feels, why get married? That's some dangerously bottled up sh*t right there.

First I love My daughter and Wife more than anything. But I do not want to know how they feel. I empathize with them but I will never truly know how they feel. I am a man we were made different for a reason. If you cringe oh well I at 29 have no interest playing as a Women in GTA. Now Streetfighter or Killer instinct Tekken its cool but not GTA. Like I said I think it would hurt sales her in the US and Piss off a lot of Loyal customers who have been down since gta1 for a few in the minority. Like I said earlier Saints Row has this feature and I never played as a female. Look at like this Saints Row Also pandered to a certain minority and killed its Franchise. Now they are talking about rebooting the seriers without SRIV even coming out yet. I am all for certain type of change but that is too drastic of a step.

The New Blueguy
  • The New Blueguy

Legend of the Heist

• Members

Posted 27 July 2013 - 01:52 AM

QUOTE (icklydicklydook @ Friday, Jul 26 2013, 20:18)
1. I remember reading somewhere (dont have link) on this forum that one of the Houser brothers said it wouldn't happen, as it didn't fit in with GTA's outlook.

2. You say that a female character will not be viewed as political move influenced by feminist ideals, but I can guarantee you it will - I can see the Huff Post headline already, "traditional boys club game grand theft auto features playable badass lesbian"

3. The whole dynamic of GTA would have to be changed: Picking up hookers would have to go, hand combat would look ridiculous as a woman tries to take on a fully grown man with "karate chop" moves that somehow make her stronger, mafia encounters would seem strange and out of place, etc, etc

4. Why upset a lot of your customers just to satisfy the demand of a few? If r* sticks to men, everyone will still get the game, but if they put a girl in, a minority will jump for joy, half will feel indifferent, and a whole bunch will be protesting

5. A wonderful game called Saints Row already has this feature

6. Mod it if you have to

7. Finally, by all means petition r* for a new ip involving a female protagonist, but for the sake of this forums integrity and of respect for women, I humbly ask that you please STOP spawning these threads, as they only breed sexism and division

1. If that's the case and you can find the link, then I'm cool with that. There was never any agenda of forcing anything here.

2. That kind of press comes with anything Rockstar does. Remember all the horrible things idiots said about Bully and then it turned out the game played like a G-rated cross between Ferris Bueller's Day Off and Revenge of the Nerds and all of that negativity died instantly because people made up sh*t about being able to play as a bully and drive other kids to commit suicide? Yes that was actually an article in a whimsical British newpaper.

3. Umm... Let's say they went with my character and she was a lesbian. They would have to take female hookers and strip clubs out of the game, why? Hell, straight women go to female strip clubs with a pack of girlfriends all the time. It's just another bar to some people. And about the combat. Seeing as the female lead in my character's case would have to be capable, it's not a stretch to think that a grieving widow who suddenly takes up bank robbery as a part of her grieving process would take up some sort of self defense or even MMA. Also, UFC Women's Bantamweight Champion Ronda Rousey. 'Nuff Said. I can post video of her sparring with equally trained dudes and taking them down easily if you like.

4. Dudes on the Internet who may feel that way are a an extremely vocal yet VERY small minority. Yes, it's overwhleming on this site and a good chunk of comment sections around the web but any GTA fan worth their stripes won't care once they get playing if the character is done right. And besides, Rockstar is a business if they can sell to more people while keeping their audience, why wouldn't they. I think you guys overestimate how many fellow GTA fans would boycott say a next-gen over something as silly as a female lead. You say the words, GTA VI on PS$ and Xbox One but you play as a girl. Guess what gamers are going to hear?

5. Saint's Row is sh*t and the fact that there's character creation makes the story retarded for both genders. It just sucks. Period.

6. Not a PC gamer, though I do have a gaming laptop. But the is not necessarily the mechanics behind it because ultimately it would control the same save for some (I'd hope) signature animations. It's the story I want. I want to see how Rockstar would deal with a trio female criminals. That's the hook for me.

7. I'm not petitioning anything. Online petitions are largely useless even it was about that. And come on, this forum integrity, really? There are a large amount of decent, upstanding and mature individuals on here. Yourself included from what I know of your posting history and the fact that you didn't cut me down with a vitrol of insults and sexist hate speech. So you're a good dude. But the majority of the forum around release time is a time bomb of underaged, immature ape-tits with their dicks out beating their chests. I have a lot of respect for women which is I liked the idea of discussing this with some civility.

bish0p2004
  • bish0p2004

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 27 July 2013 - 02:00 AM

QUOTE (The New Blueguy @ Saturday, Jul 27 2013, 00:44)
If they ever made the lead character a female, I would have to pass on the game (like I did with the last Final Fantasy 13).  I have just never felt badass playing a female character. 

I don't know why, I just never liked reading, seeing, or playing from a woman's perspective.  I simply can't, nor want to, relate to them that way and I don't want to experience that kind of voyeurism.

That's valid but I'd argue that a female lead in a GTA game is so far and away removed from a Final Fantasy female lead that you can't even compare the two.

No offense, but If I'm reading you correctly, then it really doesn't matter if the female is feminine or masculine.

There's just no interest for me there personally. I never create female characters and I never play games where the main character is female.

The New Blueguy
  • The New Blueguy

Legend of the Heist

• Members

Posted 27 July 2013 - 02:40 AM

QUOTE (bish0p2004 @ Friday, Jul 26 2013, 21:00)
QUOTE (The New Blueguy @ Saturday, Jul 27 2013, 00:44)
If they ever made the lead character a female, I would have to pass on the game (like I did with the last Final Fantasy 13).  I have just never felt badass playing a female character. 

I don't know why, I just never liked reading, seeing, or playing from a woman's perspective.  I simply can't, nor want to, relate to them that way and I don't want to experience that kind of voyeurism.

No offense, but If I'm reading you correctly, then it really doesn't matter if the female is feminine or masculine.

There's just no interest for me there personally. I never create female characters and I never play games where the main character is female.

Well no, I was actually from the opinion that Final Fantasy being Japanese in origin and heavily anime-influenced, along with how females leads in their previous games were portrayed have a clear-cut image of what they perceive female leads to embody. A character like Lightning, Yuna or Rikku would feel totally out of place in a setting like GTA, which is why I don't believe comparing a female lead in a JRPG would be the same as comparing those characters to what a female lead in a GTA game would be.

bish0p2004
  • bish0p2004

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 27 July 2013 - 02:49 AM

QUOTE (CSM. HB J-DOGG @ Saturday, Jul 27 2013, 01:46)
QUOTE (The New Blueguy @ Saturday, Jul 27 2013, 00:53)
Why hurt sales for feminist movement. I honestly dont care to play as a female protag in GTA. I was born a Man I dont want nor care to know how a woman feels.  I have a wife I put up with her and my daughters mood swings. No need to experience them on a game. I honestly think it might hurt sals in the USA. Volition gave in to the younger crowd movement with SRTT and SRIV . Now they are pulling the plug on the series .

First I love My daughter and Wife more than anything. But I do not want to know how they feel. I empathize with them but I will never truly know how they feel. I am a man we were made different for a reason. If you cringe oh well I at 29 have no interest playing as a Women in GTA. Now Streetfighter or Killer instinct Tekken its cool but not GTA. Like I said I think it would hurt sales her in the US and Piss off a lot of Loyal customers who have been down since gta1 for a few in the minority. Like I said earlier Saints Row has this feature and I never played as a female. Look at like this Saints Row Also pandered to a certain minority and killed its Franchise. Now they are talking about rebooting the seriers without SRIV even coming out yet. I am all for certain type of change but that is too drastic of a step.

Didn't GTA SA appeal to a certain minority group and it's still one of the best selling GTA games?

DJ_McLovin
  • DJ_McLovin

Twilight is best pony

• Members

Posted 27 July 2013 - 02:55 AM

I had something for this....tell you what OP, when I remember what I was going to say, I will post it.

Rock Howard
  • Rock Howard

Some Aussie Dude.

• Members

Posted 27 July 2013 - 02:59 AM

QUOTE (Dope_0110 @ Friday, Jul 26 2013, 19:07)
Protagonists should be determined by the story and not by ''oh we've had 10 games with male protags, next one should be female'' or ''oh, well with three protags we should make one female''. Story determines a protag. That's how it should be. They obviously get a lot of their inspiration from movies, and I'll name 10 heist or gang movies of the top of my head, and each and every one will have a male lead role or roles. So no wonder. And this has been discussed to death.

Exactly. The protagonist's gender should never be decided on the basis of "It's time we had a female protag cos we haven't had one yet". If, however an effective story was written and it was more appropriate for the protag to be female then I'd be all for it. icon14.gif

The New Blueguy
  • The New Blueguy

Legend of the Heist

• Members

Posted 27 July 2013 - 03:05 AM

QUOTE (Rock Howard @ Friday, Jul 26 2013, 21:59)
QUOTE (Dope_0110 @ Friday, Jul 26 2013, 19:07)

Exactly. The protagonist's gender should never be decided on the basis of "It's time we had a female protag cos we haven't had one yet". If, however an effective story was written and it was more appropriate for the protag to be female then I'd be all for it. icon14.gif

Again, the argument you guys keep using is "just because you can" as if anyone is trying to start some feminist movement in GTA. We're simply saying that a female character, if executed well from both a writing and performance standpoint, could fit right into a GTA world and be a nice change of pace. It's that simple. We're not looking to round up the male population of GTA players and chop your balls off. We're simply saying a chick would be cool. Just like people thought having airplanes would be cool or driving tanks would be cool.

wwinterj
  • wwinterj

Boss

• Members

Posted 27 July 2013 - 03:10 AM

I've been gaming around 22 years and not once did this bother me. The story simply doesn't require a female as a protagonist. It's the same with films or books. Some stories simply don't need it. Could it be possible? Sure but I won't care if it never comes to fruition.
Although not the same you can play as a female character in multiplayer if it bothers you that much.

Huey Freeman
  • Huey Freeman

Modern Day Activist

• BUSTED!

Posted 27 July 2013 - 03:11 AM

NO I don't want to play a character with a vagina, I want to f*ck those types of people

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users