Quantcast

» «
Photo

Is the GTAV Brady Guide Worthy of a Purchase?

25 replies to this topic
voltaire
  • voltaire

Altruist

• Members

Posted 25 July 2013 - 07:34 AM

I've never bought one of these guides (that's what the internet is there for) but I feel that GTAV is worthy of getting it's own accompanying 400 page hardcover guide.

So what I was wondering, has anyone ever bought a Brady guide, have you ever bought one for a GTA game and was it worth it? Did it prove you with info or easter eggs that other people weren't aware of? Does it have a larger more detailed map etc.

BurningSnow
  • BurningSnow

Rat

• Members

Posted 25 July 2013 - 07:40 AM Edited by BurningSnow, 25 July 2013 - 07:41 AM.

The only Brady game Gta guide I got was for liberty city stories and to be honest it wasn't that helpful. It didn't give you any secret way to beat the missions it just sort of outlined them. Its good for collectable hunting but really there's the internet for that. It did have all the cars in the game on display and some comments on their speed and durability which I found, at most, interesting. Really its only worthy of being a collectors item.

ATastyCookie
  • ATastyCookie

Too much waiting...

• Members

Posted 25 July 2013 - 07:58 AM

I never really bought them for info, but just for the sake of owning it.

It was worth it maybe in the ps2 days when not everyone had internet access but now whatever exclusive stuff is in the books will be leaked online within days

John The Grudge
  • John The Grudge

Soldier

• Members

Posted 25 July 2013 - 08:02 AM

I haven't bought a Brady Guide before but I do intend to buy one for GTA V. Once I've completed the story in any GTA game I like to find all the collectables and I use a guide to help me locate them. Using a website is a little impractical for that.

rockstargamer4life
  • rockstargamer4life

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 25 July 2013 - 08:03 AM

What he said....

MasterO
  • MasterO

Nanomachines son.

• Members

Posted 25 July 2013 - 08:14 AM

It'll be on the internet by the time I plan on doing a 100% runthrough, so no.

voltaire
  • voltaire

Altruist

• Members

Posted 25 July 2013 - 08:15 AM

Yeah, thanks guys, I think I'll buy it for the collectibles and because after all it is GTA V and if I'm ever going to buy a guide it might as well be for the pinnacle of video games Grand Theft Auto 5, right?

The Quench
  • The Quench

'SEVEN1FO'

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 July 2013 - 08:23 AM

GTAF > any other type of 'guide'

Twiggy123
  • Twiggy123

HNIC of the NN

• Members

Posted 25 July 2013 - 08:27 AM

If you plan on collecting the GTA V merch then I'd say yes. If not, then no.

bigalthethird
  • bigalthethird

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 25 July 2013 - 08:36 AM

I bought a bunch of Brady guides in the 90s. In 2004, I got the one for GTA Vice City, and though I never really used it to beat the game (GameFAQs was what I used for that), it's a whole lot of fun to read the strategy guide on the John or when you're bored. For the VC one, it had all the vehicles and their stats, all the weapons and their stats, and it's just kind of fun to look through and peruse when you're bored.

So, I'd recommend it just to read. Fun stuff. The RDR one was great too - but I never bought it (just read in Target and stuff).

SocalZHP
  • SocalZHP

Yeah buddy

• Members

Posted 25 July 2013 - 08:39 AM

Yes and I love them. Not cause I need help with missions but there's a lot of useful info in there. Car specs, hidden stuff, etc...

Hvitdverg
  • Hvitdverg

ExTRAZZ

• Members

Posted 25 July 2013 - 08:40 AM

Hell yes!

Collectors Edition and the CE book will be awesome biggrin.gif

Mr. Darko
  • Mr. Darko

My lies are better.

• Members

Posted 25 July 2013 - 08:42 AM

You will be able to find all the info available in it on the internet (although it will be more compiled and organized in the book), so buying a guide isn't really a practical purchase. It's more of a collector's item, a bit of bathroom reading, if you will. I imagine they put a lot of work into making it interesting and unique from an internet guide (particularly given their competition), though, so it's probably a good read, especially when you're bored and, well, on the toilet.

acmilano
  • acmilano

Soldier

• Members

Posted 25 July 2013 - 09:19 AM

I bought GTA IV guide but for collector's reason. Still,it helps a lot in looking for those damn 200 pidgeons.

KrushLTx10
  • KrushLTx10

Speedy and Slightly Agitated

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 July 2013 - 09:23 AM

I only got the GTA SA guide book and begged my parents for it because I was a young kid when I played San Andreas. Haven't bought one since and I don't play on buying one in the future. Gotta find stuff on my own or just use youtube lol.

Johan.
  • Johan.

Legen, wait for it... dary.

• The Yardies
  • United-States

Posted 25 July 2013 - 09:23 AM

QUOTE (Hvitdverg @ Thursday, Jul 25 2013, 04:40)
Hell yes!

Collectors Edition and the CE book will be awesome biggrin.gif

I second this icon14.gif

If you ever get bored it's definitely a great read, or somewhere to place just to know you own something like that for a huge game haha

or of course if you're a collector like myself it's worth it.

WhatsStrength
  • WhatsStrength

Big Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 25 July 2013 - 09:24 AM

At this point strategy guides are mostly just collector's items. The vast majority of people go on gamefaqs and youtube for help these days. I bought the GTA IV guide when it came out and it felt like a waste of money.

smidders
  • smidders

Master Splinter

• BUSTED!

Posted 25 July 2013 - 09:31 AM

user posted image

WhatsStrength
  • WhatsStrength

Big Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 25 July 2013 - 09:35 AM

QUOTE (smidders @ Thursday, Jul 25 2013, 05:31)
user posted image

f*cking Nick at Nite...

user posted image

voltaire
  • voltaire

Altruist

• Members

Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:15 AM

Just imagine if we could get our hands on one of these guides...RIGHT NOW. I wouldn't want to spoil the game for myself but just the idea that somewhere in some publishers office a completely finished version of this guide is just sitting there...filled to the brim with EVERYTHING we've ever wanted to know about GTAV...

Speaking of which, do these guides detail all the little hidden interactions that these games usually have. I recently started playing GTAIV again (after finishing it 4 years ago) and for the first time I noticed that you have the ability to give homeless people $10 by pressing L1. Mind...blown. tounge2.gif

voltaire
  • voltaire

Altruist

• Members

Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:19 AM

QUOTE (smidders @ Thursday, Jul 25 2013, 09:31)
user posted image

In real life, that Mrs.Brady gave the oldest son a "guide to life"...with her mouth.

mercie_blink.gif

RedHolden
  • RedHolden

Arm of the Leg

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:55 AM

Not trying to drag anyone into this. But if you Pre-order it from EB games Australia, It will come with some Cool Bonuses and Exclusive Content. What the Exclusive Content for this is I don't know. But we will know for sure once the game is out. Don't know why the image is cut off, But If i get the time, I'll do a better image.

user posted image

visionist
  • visionist

Eat A Peach For Hours

• Members

Posted 25 July 2013 - 11:04 AM

Only Australia gets this offer amirite

felixuta
  • felixuta

The Real Deal yo!

• Members

Posted 25 July 2013 - 11:07 AM

Pay like 40 bucks so it rests in my shelf? No thanks, I still feel this is what the internet is for and the "mission help" section in every forum here....

d3ex2
  • d3ex2

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 25 July 2013 - 11:12 AM

I'm only buying it for the novelty. I doubt I'll use it. I just want I because it's GTA V. The last guide I bought for a game was Pokemon Gold back in whenever the f*ck that came out.

beneficial
  • beneficial

Buckwheats

• Members

Posted 25 July 2013 - 12:46 PM

I usually get it like someone said, to peruse in the john. I actually did use it for IV so I probably will again. Other than that I usually only buy the guides for Bethesda games- Oblivion, Fallout, Skyrim, etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users